One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-28 09:28:44

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Rampant Eve griefing has made the game unplayable

I've died 8 times today from Eves just running in and going on massive killings sprees. You CAN kill them but they just come back. Eves spawn over and over and over and do the exact same shit because they have NO CONSEQUENCES. You can't curse them so they just do it over and over.

Plus I am apparently Lagging because I get stabbed and shot from MANY tiles away. Here's a clip of being stabbed from four tiles away https://streamable.com/ooa7q

If I can't even run, what am I supposed to do Jason? Am I just expected to die over and over because you're enabling griefers? Open your eyes PLEASE and see your game isn't made for PVP and stop pushing it in that direction.

I'm so frustrated and angry because I love this game so much, and I just want to play it without having every life end in a griefer Eve killing me.

The worst part is I literally just convinced three friends to buy this game and play it with me. I don't even know what to do. I don't want to play this game right now but I convinced them to get it.

Push the Eve changes to live IMMEDIATELY.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#2 2019-05-28 09:37:19

Grim_Arbiter

Re: Rampant Eve griefing has made the game unplayable

Hes fixing it next. From the news section last week.

"Next week, I'll be tackling Eve overload around existing cities, and also the balance between close towns and stripped natural resources."

But trust me I feel your pain. I hate running into an armed eve or eves kid when I'm a kid on a supply run. You're a sitting duck and they pick you off. Then you get to a town where there is actually a sizable group of different families and peace, and then there's a wave of war sword violence out of nowhere.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#3 2019-05-28 10:02:41

Tarr
Banned

You wouldn't enjoy the game if you weren't griefed constantly. Think how bad the game would feel if you didn't have constant terrible lives!

Game has basically been bad since the sword update. Best thing to come from it are a bunch of people using my surname and raiding which is hilarious.

fug it’s Tarr.

#4 2019-05-28 10:10:34

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

It's not even about the Eve's! You're enabling griefing by letting them go unpunishable. Cursing is the only punishment this game has and he took it away! I am so confused and upset

I also /blush.

#5 2019-05-28 10:52:39

The_Anabaptist

Within the last week I played in a fully fenced town with two gated entrances.  An Eve came to the north gate without a visible weapon.  Both I and a kid went about town raising the alarm.  Then some peace loving hippies went to the Eve and her now kid and let them in!  I challenged my family on the wisdom of such a decision, and their response was the equivalent to a "meh".

When your own family doesn't care about the survival of their own town to the next generation, something is fundamentally broken.  How am I to discern which family members can be entrusted with the existing fence gate?  Do I have to look for the most racist SOBs?  Or just those who strap on swords?  Furthermore, this town was stagnating resource wise, it was important for gatherers to go out and collect from beyond the fence, cowering behind it wasn't exactly an option.

I propose that a proper city gate be added.  One that has to be build between two pillars of stone.  Anyone of the family name can automatically enter and exit.  Anyone not of the family name, cannot. 

Maybe then actual trade might happen.  My family will force the serf eves to bring me iron and buckets of water and I'll provide them advanced goods from within my citadel town, or I'll smite them with the sword and wait for new Eves to come serve outside my gate.

The_Anabaptist

#6 2019-05-28 11:01:06

RodneyC86

The_Anabaptist wrote:

Within the last week I played in a fully fenced town with two gated entrances.  An Eve came to the north gate without a visible weapon.  Both I and a kid went about town raising the alarm.  Then some peace loving hippies went to the Eve and her now kid and let them in!  I challenged my family on the wisdom of such a decision, and their response was the equivalent to a "meh".

When your own family doesn't care about the survival of their own town to the next generation, something is fundamentally broken.  How am I to discern which family members can be entrusted with the existing fence gate?  Do I have to look for the most racist SOBs?  Or just those who strap on swords?  Furthermore, this town was stagnating resource wise, it was important for gatherers to go out and collect from beyond the fence, cowering behind it wasn't exactly an option.

I propose that a proper city gate be added.  One that has to be build between two pillars of stone.  Anyone of the family name can automatically enter and exit.  Anyone not of the family name, cannot. 

Maybe then actual trade might happen.  My family will force the serf eves to bring me iron and buckets of water and I'll provide them advanced goods from within my citadel town, or I'll smite them with the sword and wait for new Eves to come serve outside my gate.

The_Anabaptist

The number of players with rose-tinted glasses when dealing with outsiders astounds me.

I'm always the level-headed one who thinks we should really really not accept these people given the current meta. I always make effort to drive them away and ask them to settle elsewhere. If they still insist I'm sorry you take an arrow, I got no means to offer you half privilege without endangering my lineage. Ahem* restraints* please

#7 2019-05-28 11:38:21

Twisted

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

Plus I am apparently Lagging because I get stabbed and shot from MANY tiles away. Here's a clip of being stabbed from four tiles away https://streamable.com/ooa7q

Just FYI the lag is almost definitely due to the zoom mod.

#8 2019-05-28 12:15:09

JonySky
Website

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

I've died 8 times today from Eves just running in and going on massive killings sprees. You CAN kill them but they just come back. Eves spawn over and over and over and do the exact same shit because they have NO CONSEQUENCES. You can't curse them so they just do it over and over.

If I can't even run, what am I supposed to do Jason? Am I just expected to die over and over because you're enabling griefers? Open your eyes PLEASE and see your game isn't made for PVP and stop pushing it in that direction.

I'm so frustrated and angry because I love this game so much, and I just want to play it without having every life end in a griefer Eve killing me.

The worst part is I literally just convinced three friends to buy this game and play it with me. I don't even know what to do. I don't want to play this game right now but I convinced them to get it.

Push the Eve changes to live IMMEDIATELY.

Yesterday night I was playing 2 lives
In one of my lives I was exploring the map and ended up living in another family where they welcomed me and allowed my children to grow up there.
they dressed my children and raised them as one of their family ... it was great! ... until the ratkids arrived (eves murderers)

First, death-wounded relatives began to arrive warning that outside the city there was an attack on the people
Then they started to enter the town and started killing people abusively
When you killed an eve, other murderous eves arrived

EVE MURDERS II
EVE MURDERS III
EVE TARR X
EVE TARR VII
EVES WITHOUT NAME

EVES continually reappeared right next to the city, and they only dedicated themselves to enter and kill who could ... it was horrible and very frustrating

I have never felt bad about war swords (although I think there is a lack of balance) but this has escaped the control of all
these players are not interested in playing OHOL ... they are not families with various rivalries ... they are not wars for resources ... it's just killing for killing ... they're just players who are dedicated to murder ... they do not raise to their children, do not create a camp they just kill ... they enjoy ruining other lives of other players

I have always thought that killers or griefers (smart) are not so bad for OHOL, they give a challenge to overcome and generate stories (some very good stories)
but this is not the same, here there is no intelligence, no cunning, no goal ... it is only to kill for killing because there are no consequences

I defend the idea of Jason, but some OHOL players are not up to the game

#9 2019-05-28 12:19:54

JonySky
Website

RodneyC86 wrote:
The_Anabaptist wrote:

The_Anabaptist

The number of players with rose-tinted glasses when dealing with outsiders astounds me.

I'm always the level-headed one who thinks we should really really not accept these people given the current meta. I always make effort to drive them away and ask them to settle elsewhere. If they still insist I'm sorry you take an arrow, I got no means to offer you half privilege without endangering my lineage. Ahem* restraints* please

It's not a problem for peaceful players ... it's a problem that there's a lack of balance and revision of all this (respawn de eves next to the cities)
it's not a problem with the swords either ... the eves that I found yesterday came and killed with anything (bow, knives ... etc ..)
all this has to be reviewed ...

I hope that the last change of Jason to solve the / die solve this problem

#10 2019-05-28 12:31:01

RodneyC86

JonySky wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:
The_Anabaptist wrote:

The_Anabaptist

It's not a problem for peaceful players ... it's a problem that there's a lack of balance and revision of all this (respawn de eves next to the cities)
it's not a problem with the swords either ... the eves that I found yesterday came and killed with anything (bow, knives ... etc ..)

I certainly hope so. Just went through a life, Eve Tarrs keep spawning around our gated village. some gets shot, some pass in for whatever reason. But i think i saw at least 4 eves, and I dont even hang around the town square, working as a banana forager

#11 2019-05-28 12:33:26

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

We need to be able to curse these people. There's literally nothing stopping them from doing it again and again. The fear of Donkey town is the only thing we have

I also /blush.

#12 2019-05-28 12:37:04

Potjeh

The worst part of all this is what it's doing to the game's community. It's turned extremely toxic and unwelcoming, which pushes away potential new players and is a sure recipe for slow death. And this damage to community is permanent, I think even if the Come Together update was reverted right now the community would never go back to the friendliness level we had before.

#13 2019-05-28 12:45:40

RodneyC86

Potjeh wrote:

The worst part of all this is what it's doing to the game's community. It's turned extremely toxic and unwelcoming, which pushes away potential new players and is a sure recipe for slow death. And this damage to community is permanent, I think even if the Come Together update was reverted right now the community would never go back to the friendliness level we had before.

We need to tell the newbies though, these guys are dicks, and the rest of the village will have their back. For  what its worth, after my life was over (managed to not die till 60), the village is doing a banging job standing strong in the face of these barbarian invasions. Flowers can bloom in fields of war. Lets hold strong until the next update

#14 2019-05-28 12:48:59

JonySky
Website

RodneyC86 wrote:
JonySky wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:

I certainly hope so. Just went through a life, Eve Tarrs keep spawning around our gated village. some gets shot, some pass in for whatever reason. But i think i saw at least 4 eves, and I dont even hang around the town square, working as a banana forager

totally true, the problem has not been solved, it remains exactly the same ...,
I just lived a short life in an early camp and we still had the visits of the murderous eves ...
I do not know if the new mechanics of / die is implemented or not ... I hope not yet because it is not working
If this continues, I do not see a future for OHOL

#15 2019-05-28 13:02:58

RodneyC86

JonySky wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:
JonySky wrote:

I just lived a short life in an early camp and we still had the visits of the murderous eves ...
I do not know if the new mechanics of / die is implemented or not ... I hope not yet because it is not working

its not live yet

#16 2019-05-28 13:09:41

JonySky
Website

RodneyC86 wrote:
JonySky wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:

its not live yet

thank you!! I was starting to cry ... XD

#17 2019-05-28 16:46:45

DestinyCall

Potjeh wrote:

This is what really worries me.    I don't think enough people appreciate what this kind of meta change does to the existing player base.  Peaceful players stop playing the game or stop emotionally investing in the game because it hurts too much to care about your village if it keeps getting destroyed.   Even if a future update "fixes" this problem enough to keep the game playable, the damage has already been done.   Veteran players will be more cynical and violent toward outsiders.  Less likely to allow mixed race villages to come into existence.   Less willing to live in a town without walls and armed guards.   More prone to killing first, instead of giving people a chance to show if they are good players or griefers.   

Basically it will be like the Twins update.   Because of the damage caused by bad twins and the lack of any decent in-game way to deal with them, all twins must be assumed evil and killed at birth unless you are willing to risk twin griefers wiping out your village.   

Honestly, I am not looking forward to playing OHOL if "racist asshole" is the optimal play strategy for success.

#18 2019-05-28 16:48:43

OminousBladeBlank

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

It's not even about the Eve's! You're enabling griefing by letting them go unpunishable. Cursing is the only punishment this game has and he took it away! I am so confused and upset

Hah!

What is an ominous blade blank?

It's that blade blank next to the file and short staff you see in a naked toddler's basket.

#19 2019-05-29 01:51:26

RedComb

Potjeh wrote:

As somebody who bought the game just a few days prior to this so-called "Come Together" update, I can attest to the fact that I no longer play. I did try to view playbacks of some of my recorded games, but I can only see the menu screen when I view the game (maybe a result of using a zoom mod???).

In any case, I haven't played the game for probably two weeks now and don't plan on playing it again. I tried to give it a go one more time and had mixed results, but my last session convinced me whatever magic it had was gone and Jason had poisoned the well with this update and his naive attitude toward griefing.

I'm sorry this is long. I know people won't read it because it's long, but here it is anyway (because I think it documents what a disgusting feeling this game inspires now, at least for somebody who is newish).

I was in a small village and birthed some good kids, they all seemed productive and hard working and seemed to appreciate me even though I told them I was pretty new and apologized for not giving them the greatest start with clothes and backpacks/etc. When they asked me what needed to be done, I just was honest and told them I didn't really know and to just do what they thought best. They seemed okay with this and most stayed in this village and were working hard.

I think the village was doing okay and people were making good progress in some of the starter stuff that needs to be done, but then a random Eve pops up. I instantly started saying "Outsider! Stranger Eve!" to any who would listen, feeling kind of bad to be so alarmed and paranoid at this newcomer's arrival (but I had seen so many scenarios like this where an Eve showed up and then everything descended into murder and chaos).

Very few people even took notice. Those who did notice her and what I said ignored me, saying she was "peaceful," so I let it slide. Most of my kids were on the periphery or out gathering things for the village, and I had just gone infertile at this point, so most of the people near the fire were newborns or not my direct children. Since I was a newer player, I left it up to their better judgment about how to react to the Eve and I tried to keep working.

As I tried to focus on making some backpacks, I kept an eye on this newcomer. She suspiciously disappeared to the North for a little while (after all this happened, I'm pretty sure she was making a short shaft out of sight of everybody and hiding it behind a tree). At this point, I think this village didn't even have knifes or a bow and arrow but had some metal set aside for such things when the time was right. I honestly don't know much about smithing or making pumps and stuff, so I think people had been preparing stuff for that but hadn't gone all out in making things with the steel yet.

After I had been processing rabbits and making solid progress, giving some backpacks and clothes out, I noticed this Eve started messing with the smithing stuff in a very deliberate way. She was obviously no noob and seemed to be up to no good, but being new, I wasn't 100% sure. I raised the alarm again hoping a more experienced player would be able to better judge, and some old lady in our village noticed too and shouted "kill her!" before she died. Me and one guy (my brother?) clearly saw what was happening, but everybody else was oblivious. They seemed to not notice or just thought she was being helpful, like she was just making necessary tools, but the way she was moving around was really strange, especially the way she disappeared earlier.

She quickly made a blade blank. Most people were oblivious, but I noticed what she did (and so did my brother). I luckily noticed there were two files sitting nearby. I managed to snatch them up in my BP before she could use them to make a blade. She picked up the blade blank and went to the spot where the files were, but since they were gone, she kind of moved around weirdly and my brother and I were right on top of her the whole time. As she scrambled around while holding the blade blank, most of the people were still obvious to what was happening, but my brother and I saw what was going on and kept trying to yell out to people what was going on. Eventually, the Eve had to drop the blade blank to eat something and I think my brother grabbed it.

She moved away, and I told my brother I had the files. I quickly made a short shaft, he dropped the blank and I filed it, he made a knife and he was armed. While we did this, she had made ANOTHER blade blank, but when she saw my brother with the knife, she started dancing around and ultimately had to drop the blank to eat again (and couldn't pick it up because he was trying to stab her). I managed to pick it up, moved away from them, made a short shaft, filed the blank, and made a knife of my own... Now my brother and I danced around with this Eve and eventually managed to stab her. When we did, some younger boy tending berries instantly cries out "WHY!?" like we were monsters for killing this poor innocent Eve. I explained "she was trying to make a knife, it was weird" and I guess that seemed okay to him because he didn't say anything afterwards.

Even so, it was stressful. It was not a "rich and interesting dynamic." I'm a fairly new player and I barely know how anything works and this kind of crap is getting dumped on my plate while so-called experienced players are oblivious and just sit there talking or zoning out while they work!? NOT COOL! What really soured me, though, was shortly after this... suddenly another Eve shows up. Possibly the same player we had just killed (the first was a brunette, this one is a Latino character model). My brother is instantly saying "KILL HER" and I'm fed up at this point. I'm so sick and tired of outsiders, or Eves showing up and killing people or starting problems (or their kids doing it without fear of punishment because of the stupid nerf to the cursing system). So, I killed the Eve.

She had done nothing wrong except she was an outsider. She may have very well been a peaceful Eve who would have helped the village and worked hard (and her kids might have too). But, after all the bad experiences I've had with random Eves (and their griefer kids or grandkids getting hold of weapons, war swords in particular), I had no patience or trust anymore. I killed her without provocation. My brother thought it was good, he obviously understood the new meta, but people started insulting me, calling me a names. One baby spelled out CUNT at me letter by letter.

Here I had worked hard in this village for 40-50 minutes. I had raised several productive children, produced a lot of backpacks and even some loin clothes (for a village that had started with NONE of this stuff). My kids were doing great getting farms set up and sheep and all the foundations of pumps and whatever. And these people who didn't have ANY context were calling me cunt and griefer and a horrible person. I was frustrated beyond belief.

I found my daughter over by the sheep pen. She was sweet and seemed glad to see me. I gave her the knife, told her to use it to protect he village. Told her there were two files in my BP and that I was going to starve because this village was shitty and the people in it thought I was bad for defending them. She said NOOOO! and seemed really sad I was dying early. She stopped moving after I said this and I don't even know if she afk starved or not. It sucked.

I was merely reacting to what I had seen in life after life following the update. Maybe they were right and I was a bad person. Maybe I am a cunt. Maybe I should have trusted the second Eve (and who knows, maybe that first Eve was making a saw or some shit, idk at this point and I don't care!). I don't like playing a game that plays on my paranoia and makes me apt to distrust people! I felt really shitty, feeling like I went from playing a game where I dug the cooperative vibe, where it seemed like players cared for and about each other and appreciated what you contributed (even if you're doing your own little thing), to playing a game where I hated outsiders, had to stress about killing them and learning about making knives before I knew more basic/important stuff, and I was starting to embrace a "kill on sight" mentality when it came to all outsiders because I had seen so much go so wrong in the past whenever outsiders arrived or were present.

I think out of all the villages that I experienced with more than one family, 70% of the time it ended in murder and chaos. With random Eves, 90% of the time it ended in murder and chaos. I think only 20% of the time did I really enjoy it and feel the way I felt when I first played the game prior to the update.

Sorry again this was so long, but I still feel bad for my daughter and that village. Maybe I could have kept contributing. Maybe I should have let the first Eve make a knife and kill them all so they learned a lesson. I don't know and I guess this isn't the game for me, especially when the dev thinks this kind of shit makes for a "rich and dynamic" game.

And if that doesn't drive the point home, here's something that might be a little more TL;DR (some recent negative reviews mentioning the war sword, several which are from newer players... the very last one is from me with FORTY FOUR "helpful" votes, which I think makes it one of the most "helpful" Steam Reviews for this game, if not the most upvoted review for it overall!):

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/765 … ed/595690/

https://steamcommunity.com/id/a-miki/re … ed/595690/

https://steamcommunity.com/id/MIMdiplom … ed/595690/

There is a common thread in those reviews about what people are complaining about. The fact that FORTY FOUR people upvoted my review in just a little over two weeks should also speak volumes. Read through the 27 comments people left on it too. Several people said they won't even try the game because of this change (even after I told them the dev planned to nerf it and fix it).

Jason believes griefing is important and necessary, and some of the players seem to think those of us who are critical of this change are just carebears or need to HTFU, but A LOT of people honestly don't like this change and feel it is antithetical to what the game was or what they found fun and charming about it. It's already alienated a lot of good hearted people and it's convinced a lot of people with similar mindsets not to even try the game. More and more, the only people who will play are griefers or those who are callous enough to not mind the murder and mayhem (and who can adapt to the new meta of killing strangers without it bothering them).

Griefing is not creating a rich and dynamic ANYTHING if people aren't even going to bother to play the game! It's not FUN and it's not interesting except maybe to the dev and some of the players with sadomasochistic tendencies!

An eve single-handedly destroyed our family line

Griefer report

I hate recent update

War sword is totally not OP broken!!!! /sarcasm

Last edited by RedComb (2019-05-29 13:33:47)

Board footer