One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-28 22:57:10

Sakkiyn

Family or fallacy?

As this is a game of parenting, and it takes a man and a woman to parent. It would make boys a viable player option without murdering them or starving them because "Sorry bby I need a girl" maybe let an eve have one virgin birth maximum with no men around (I'd prefer none)

Make women have a pregnant buff so they know a baby is coming. Require a man to be within a certain radius (or better yet an interaction button for making babies) for the woman to get pregnant, no man ... no babies. This will help control population problems and make men a viable commodity. If a player runs off as a baby and dies several times in a row, put them on a 5 minute (or longer) cool down from login. Too many suicidal babies these days that are meta-gaming or want an easy life.

I really love this game and the concept, but the miracle birth thing is so unrealistic and annoying to boot. The poor treatment of men because they are not necessary for birth is a complete fallacy. I love playing as a man, you get way more work done.

I realize players need to spawn and babies make that happen, maybe add an Adam as well as Eve for random spawns if no women are pregnant.

Make this a real game of family and parenting not some fallacy of miracle births from the sky.

#2 2018-03-29 01:05:09

veene

Re: Family or fallacy?

This is a game people - focus on actual game-play problems like griefers, not this kind of nonsense.

#3 2018-03-29 01:38:38

Sakkiyn

veene wrote:

This is a game people - focus on actual game-play problems like griefers, not this kind of nonsense.

So killing me because I spawn in as a boy is not griefing me? I like to play as a boy and my opinion is just as valid as yours. You are griefing my suggestion by calling it nonsense, when I believe it is a perfectly valid point.

I am not bothered by the pvp aspect, is that what you call griefing? I am killed more by my own mother starving me then anyone with a knife or bow.

Now idiots and trolls destroying animal sites, milkweed, digging up wild bushes ....that can actually destroy your ability to live somewhere. But it is all part of the game and Jason added it knowingly. I believe your whining about griefing is the problem here, at least in my opinion, which I have every right to state, contrary to your opinion.

#4 2018-03-29 02:56:51

lesslucid

I'm not sure I agree with the solution... I do think there's something weird about the way players are responding to the gender differences in the game. On the one hand, villages can "die out" because of lack of girls, so, sure, it makes sense to want girls. 

However, they can also die out from overpopulation. And if you only have girls, doesn't it increase the danger that within a generation or two you're going to have a population explosion? Having a mix of boys and girls seems practical to me, even if the men are currently "biologically unnecessary". 

Ooh, this has just given me an idea...

#5 2018-03-29 03:51:02

draequine

The lack of actual gameplay mechanics for men has led to this faulty boy killing meta, granted, but making a mandatory conception system would be impractical and make bootstrapping as an Eve all the more hopeless.

I think it would be nice for a later update to add a conception structure that merely increases the likely hood that a female will give birth to the next player to reborn.

#6 2018-03-29 05:27:10

The Person In Yellow

Allowing boys to live allows more work to be done without needing to watch babies. Its just the PEOPLE that believe boys are useless, which is part of the game. The players interactions with each other is a good chunk of how the game operates, since this is a game about civilization building and individual people. The whole "this is unrealistic" idea is worth almost nothing given the fact that this still is a game and does not try to be realistic in the first place.
The pregnancy trait would just make it significantly harder for new players to spawn as a baby even if it would directly give value to men as part of the process of getting new people in the village.

#7 2018-03-29 10:37:05

Rebel

There has been alot of discussion about this topic

A good idea came up in another thread where the presence of men increase the birthrate, meaning the more men the more babies women can have, giving a reason to keep boys and girls.

This stops the whole only girl's meta which atm is the only way to keep a village alive, and fixes the problem with only keeping girls because of repopulating. as well as this, eve gameplay won't change.

Also, I would like to add that personally, i can get just as much work done as a woman then a man, normally villages adopt the "Two girls if there is food, and one if there is decreasing amounts of food" policy which means once you have had two girls you can go hunt and leave new babies. I have seen villages survive 10-15 generations with. the key is in the teaching of the kids. (Note villages also should have a nanny, that looks after babies, and keep an eye on overpopulation)

#8 2018-03-29 20:55:15

Truthseeker

I have not once been killed for being born as a boy, the very idea is asinine enough that I feel like this is a very annoying minority of settlements that some people just get born into over and over again by bad luck.

#9 2018-03-30 01:53:49

Alleria

I've been killed for being a boy a total of one time. I've had well over 500 lives as well, so that tells you that it's a non-issue.

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#10 2018-03-30 02:39:24

Hiker170

Alleria wrote:

I've been killed for being a boy a total of one time. I've had well over 500 lives as well, so that tells you that it's a non-issue.

That's nothing more then an anecdote, we don't always get given the reason why we are left to die by our mothers, but I have had it happen more then once in the lives i've had. It could be a server based issue. I usually find it occurs with newer players, or players who have started working on an abandoned town they tend to say this a fair amount. It's interesting cause the issues stems from the fact that there is a big likelihood the boy you let die will just be reborn to your town again. I know I have had it happen where i died in a town only to respawn back and allowed to live because I was now female. I have had this happen more then once as well, but like I said this is an anecdote. It would be nice if we could get some of the numbers behind it.

Rebel wrote:

A good idea came up in another thread where the presence of men increase the birthrate, meaning the more men the more babies women can have, giving a reason to keep boys and girls.

If generations were allowed to continue through fathers, by allowing a male within a certain proximity of a female to become the father of that child, it would make for interesting gameplay since males could continue a generation. Along with being able to travel since they would not have the burden of having children. It would also allow for the linking of generations and families. I don't feel we need an increase in birthrate with males around because birthrate seems to be dictated by the amount of players wanting to join into the game. A questions that come to mind about males having an effect on birthrates are. What occurs though if there is seperate villages with the same amount of males to females or with less people in it then another? Do these rules have to apply to an Eve? Because if they do it would make creating new settlements very difficult when there are other ones already built.

#11 2018-03-30 05:13:09

IronBear

I started a discussion on this a few days ago:

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=779

My suggestion was to tie the baby cool down timer to the proximity of adult men.  Not only would this solve the problem, but it would also improve immersion make it easier for women and Eve characters to forage in the wilderness.

But this a real problem.  I had three boys starved to death/murdered, and in one town my mom had to sneak around and find some pants and a hat to hide my sex.  I also saw it in a few Let's Plays.

I think the culture may have just shifted in the last few days though.  I have not encountered boy killers since I wrote my original post.

Last edited by IronBear (2018-03-30 05:14:15)

#12 2018-04-02 04:42:04

Sakkiyn

The way things work in game is actually opposite of real life. In point of fact, China had a one child per family law. So Chinese parents would abort female fetuses and only have boys. Today in China, Chinese boys have to find wives from Korea or Vietnam since there are not enough women.

Lineage in almost all cultures was through the male descendants. Maybe that might be a better solution to this family crisis. Eve's no longer can make family names, add Adam's in and only they can do that, Eve's have children that is their thing.

Men with a name can bequeath said name to an Eve through marriage and children through adoption. The man would need an item to do so, wedding ring maybe, but not gold since it is so rare?  This would make the family unit a real thing, but make the item used disappear so it has to be re-farmed and keep everyone from becoming one big family? Or maybe make it so the man can only "marry" one eve (unnamed adult woman) and adopt 3 children?

Then any male children can also marry once and adopt children. If a married Eve has a child it is named for the Father.

Suggestions or "constructive" criticism?

#13 2018-04-02 18:04:11

SSDarkMoon

Sakkiyn wrote:

The way things work in game is actually opposite of real life. In point of fact, China had a one child per family law. So Chinese parents would abort female fetuses and only have boys. Today in China, Chinese boys have to find wives from Korea or Vietnam since there are not enough women.

Lineage in almost all cultures was through the male descendants. Maybe that might be a better solution to this family crisis. Eve's no longer can make family names, add Adam's in and only they can do that, Eve's have children that is their thing.

Men with a name can bequeath said name to an Eve through marriage and children through adoption. The man would need an item to do so, wedding ring maybe, but not gold since it is so rare?  This would make the family unit a real thing, but make the item used disappear so it has to be re-farmed and keep everyone from becoming one big family? Or maybe make it so the man can only "marry" one eve (unnamed adult woman) and adopt 3 children?

Then any male children can also marry once and adopt children. If a married Eve has a child it is named for the Father.

Suggestions or "constructive" criticism?

China has end the one child policy.

[Chinese boys have to find wives from Korea or Vietnam since there are not enough women.]
not so true.......

#14 2018-04-02 19:19:43

Aname

The only problem i see is that when i get a girl its an total noob and die instant and when i get a boy its an pro and really helps the city.

when i have a girl she is killing the whole village by giving birth too many kids and when i have a boy he is making tons of carrots.

when i have a girl she is not helping at all and only thinks about herself and the kids. and when i have a boy he will give me the tings i need.

so most of the time i get a girl she is just shit. so i prefer boys even when the city is lost because that boy is cleaning the village for the next generation of people.

a girl will just die eating all the food because she is a dumbass. and die of the age of 60 destroying a whole village.

but that just happens to me alot idk if you guys have that problem. but guys are most of the time better at the game. then the girls who are just eating and popping children everywhere.

and sometimes they all just standing there feeding one kid they just dont want to work.

Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4082492

Board footer