One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-05-24 02:29:08

DestinyCall

Re: Interesting suggestion for a change to YUM chains

Re-chaining is not as good as maintaining an unbroken yum chain.   High yum is incredibly powerful, compared with the relatively minor boost that you get for a low yum chain (<5 yum).     This change will give you a reason to stop back in town for a bite to eat occasionally and maybe put a new kind of food in your pack on the way out of the village.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-05-24 02:29:25)

#27 2019-05-24 02:43:13

RodneyC86

DestinyCall wrote:

Re-chaining is not as good as maintaining an unbroken yum chain.   High yum is incredibly powerful, compared with the relatively minor boost that you get for a low yum chain (<5 yum).     This change will give you a reason to stop back in town for a bite to eat occasionally and maybe put a new kind of food in your pack on the way out of the village.

I get +7 or +8 usually

I leave after taking a berry on bowl and usually pack s pie with maybe one or two other single food , bread or domestic carrot usually . I prefer bread

Then wild onion, wild carrot, a bardock, banana, cactus fruit

To bring me to x7 , then top off with a pie

Unfortunately I get to ride this chain only once

Addendum: I suppose if this helps the game overall for town dwellers I don't mind. The dent in my game is probably negligible, just need to ravage some distant wild gooseberry bushes

I generally take pride in not needing to use much village resource but come back with two cart loads of iron in a lifetime. With this change it's doable but I'll have to take something extra on my second trip when icant chain anymore

Last edited by RodneyC86 (2019-05-24 02:51:20)

#28 2019-05-24 03:01:15

BladeWoods

This change would fix futurebird's issue with yumming that he made a post about, that eating the same foods in different order can currently yield vastly different results. With this order doesn't matter but yumming isn't much different.

#29 2019-05-24 04:34:00

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I'm hesitant, the more that I think about this.

It would change the eating game pretty dramatically, I think.

For the mother bonus, it would have to change from "current yum multiplier", which would never go down, to "current bonus food pips."  I really like the feeling of catering to the last fertile mother with special foods.  Anyone who's ever had a pregnant wife should recognize that feeling...

I think I'm going to leave well enough alone for now, but I'll leave that issue open, and I may think about it more in the future.

#30 2019-05-24 04:38:32

NetherCrow
Website

I like it!

Chinese Mobile Players are the best griefer around the world. I am ashamed of them. They invent the auto-baby-killer and grave-baby-prison to avoid Others Break their Eve Chain. And the griefer use bear and bow to kill every eve player for their REVENGE. All animal and kiln are killed or destroyed because of envy and hatred.

#31 2019-05-24 06:01:03

Psykout

Still thinking capping Yum at a lower chain and making it reset after max is achieved is a better approach. It gets rid of the house-of-cards feeling yum has when having a chain broken unwillingly. You wouldn't harm people that do small yum chains when out an about as well as not making foods feel like they have less value because you at them at one time in your life when you were a toddler. If yum is capped then once you reach that cap your fertility levels out to the same as others that also are at that cap. Staying optimally warm at higher/max chain would allow you to rest at that level of fertility, also would allow you to break the chain to essentially turn off the fertility bonus if you are at a point where popping out ton of babies is not what you want, essentially passing the torch to someone that needs it. If part of the system is breaking and restacking your chains, foods that are meant for yum, potentially with more than +1 yum, could be explored. From a developer side you would have a little more control on how much players are able utilize the mechanic. I just see Yum having problems down the road as new foods are added, letting chains commonly and very easily getting to levels that allow people to barely eat anymore. Foods that might not be the most advantageous for pip value could find a place in a town, rather than to be seen as a waste to make.

#32 2019-05-24 18:41:07

Booklat1

jasonrohrer wrote:

I'm hesitant, the more that I think about this.

It would change the eating game pretty dramatically, I think.

For the mother bonus, it would have to change from "current yum multiplier", which would never go down, to "current bonus food pips."  I really like the feeling of catering to the last fertile mother with special foods.  Anyone who's ever had a pregnant wife should recognize that feeling...

I think I'm going to leave well enough alone for now, but I'll leave that issue open, and I may think about it more in the future.

I wish you'd been as cautious when adding fences, literally everyone here likes the change.

#33 2019-05-24 18:49:22

Spoonwood

Booklat1 wrote:

I wish you'd been as cautious when adding fences, literally everyone here likes the change.

*ahem*

testo wrote:

Dislike the idea, this won't help food diversity as it stands and will force a nerf on food:

Berry in bowl, shuckle corn, pop corn, carrot, green beans, rabbit, +7 non mutton pies, stew, bean burrito hits 14 yum without wild food (berry, carrot, root, onion, cactus, banana +6). Note that you don´t even need iron for this, and the farming is pretty light.

Wich means you can basically live a life on one food chain if you have some clothing and you take a 10 min walk collecting stuff from outside the town.

This is too good to be true and there will be a nerf somewhere, better to get it clear from the start.

Testo I think correct in that such a change wouldn't help food diversity.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#34 2019-05-24 18:58:06

Booklat1

Spoonwood wrote:
Booklat1 wrote:

*ahem*

testo wrote:

Dislike the idea, this won't help food diversity as it stands and will force a nerf on food:

Berry in bowl, shuckle corn, pop corn, carrot, green beans, rabbit, +7 non mutton pies, stew, bean burrito hits 14 yum without wild food (berry, carrot, root, onion, cactus, banana +6). Note that you don´t even need iron for this, and the farming is pretty light.

Wich means you can basically live a life on one food chain if you have some clothing and you take a 10 min walk collecting stuff from outside the town.

This is too good to be true and there will be a nerf somewhere, better to get it clear from the start.

testo is also incorrect in saying fucking beans and raw corn are viable. it takes 6 people at high yums for it to be worth it, which is bloody unlikely. Math hasnt changed, raw food is awful and will always be, as it should. I've shown you this a hundred times spoon, even with yum, the benefits of raw foods are selfish.

carrots are the only viable option and only pre sheep since they're better as carrot pies/animal feed than eaten raw.

Last edited by Booklat1 (2019-05-24 19:00:18)

#35 2019-05-24 21:39:04

Spoonwood

Booklat1 wrote:

testo is also incorrect in saying fucking beans and raw corn are viable.

No, you CAN live off of them.  Heck in my post-wipe town, which is also post-water nerf, I did pretty much what testo says BEFORE processing iron, with the exception of green beans.  I had a few ponds I used and only one spring.  It's fine for someone or a group that yums continuously.

Danish Clinch.

#36 2019-05-24 22:45:30

futurebird

Can we please not do this tired old yum fight again... please? This thread was really interesting until it got derailed with this fight you two have been have for... um dag... it's been 3 MONTHS come on.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#37 2019-05-24 22:51:04

Booklat1

futurebird wrote:

Can we please not do this tired old yum fight again... please? This thread was really interesting until it got derailed with this fight you two have been have for... um dag... it's been 3 MONTHS come on.

its not a fight when its spoon vs everyone else

I dont try to prevent you from spamming main forum with every idea you have ever so maybe back off or get into the discussion? Im sure calculating resource efficiency is a walk on the park for you.

#38 2019-05-25 01:23:31

Spoonwood

Booklat1 wrote:
futurebird wrote:

I dont try to prevent you from spamming main forum with every idea you have ever so maybe back off or get into the discussion? Im sure calculating resource efficiency is a walk on the park for you.

You talked about what was viable Booklat.  What Testo proposed is viable.  Also, your claim about raw food being awful doesn't match up to the efficiency of wild berries.  Additionally, testo didn't agree with everyone else in this thread, and I was *indifferent* not in agreement with such a proposed change to yum.  It's fine to say that such a change should go through because a majority of people appear to want it, but that's a majority, not unanimity.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-05-25 01:24:44)

Danish Clinch.

#39 2019-05-25 01:28:21

Tarr
Banned

Spoonwood wrote:
Booklat1 wrote:
futurebird wrote:

You talked about what was viable Booklat.  What Testo proposed is viable.  Also, your claim about raw food being awful doesn't match up to the efficiency of wild berries.

In a world where we have 46 foods some are going to be bad. Eating only green beans? Bad. Eating only shucked corn? Bad. Wild berries are *free* which is fine in the long run since 5 pips per ten minutes is awful.

Yum is good when people devote time to doing it. Yum is bad at low chains, eating without yumming is bad when doing bad foods.

Yum if you want or don't. It won't matter due to inefficiency across the board but it'll make -your- life easier.

fug it’s Tarr.

#40 2019-05-25 02:09:40

Jk Howling

>proposes warswords
>nobody likes the idea
>adds it

>proposes change to yum
>nearly everyone [minus literally like 2 people] likes it
>"ehhh nevermind"

Jason's so in-touch with the userbase ;w;

-Has ascended to better games-

#41 2019-05-25 04:33:24

Kai

i was looking forward to this..

#42 2019-05-25 06:46:21

testo

Booklat1 wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
Booklat1 wrote:

*ahem*

testo wrote:

testo is also incorrect in saying fucking beans and raw corn are viable. it takes 6 people at high yums for it to be worth it, which is bloody unlikely. Math hasnt changed, raw food is awful and will always be, as it should. I've shown you this a hundred times spoon, even with yum, the benefits of raw foods are selfish.

carrots are the only viable option and only pre sheep since they're better as carrot pies/animal feed than eaten raw.

I never said green beans and raw corn were viable (you may say they are suboptimal, even when they are around the same efficiency of berries, the same 80% of players eat not from the wild but from the farm).

I am not getting in the "this food is bad" or "this food is good" argument. Food consumption for the average player has horrible efficiency anyways.

What I said was: giving everyone a yum chain even if you don´t devote to it like yummers do, will be too good in the long run, thus forcing a food nerf in the future.

Just to be clear about the topic:
I sometimes yum a little, sometimes don´t yum at all and sometimes I play the yum addict version. I can guarantee each one has its benefits if you know what you are doing. (That includes when you are eating sub food like beans and raw corn). I would never debate the number efficiency thou, corn and beans are not good in efficiency.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#43 2019-05-25 07:15:54

FeignedSanity

Jk Howling wrote:

>proposes warswords
>nobody likes the idea
>adds it

>proposes change to yum
>nearly everyone [minus literally like 2 people] likes it
>"ehhh nevermind"

Jason's so in-touch with the userbase ;w;

+1 for literally making me LOL.

Although that's not saying I totally agree with the sentiment. I've always, sort of, liked how Jason has pretty much made HIS game, even if everyone is telling him to do otherwise. It's just fascinating seeing where this game ends up.

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2019-05-25 07:32:56)

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

Board footer