One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-22 09:27:20

Kami_The_Man

The Murderous Starr Family

We didn't start that way. We weren't born evil, our environment made us that way.

I was an eve freshly starting out, I've invested hundreds of hours into this game so it wasn't my first rodeo. Found the spring line, followed it to a good place and started setting up. My first kid came pretty quick, by the time he was old enough to pick up a stone he was helping his Mother set up camp. I had a couple /die babies, then I got my first girl. A sweet little thing. After that, I got another son who I accidentally named Becky.

Life was going good for us Starr's. The camp was looking good, Sun, my firstborn, was skilled at the game. He had already set up a smith before we could even start the farm up. Becky wasn't bad either. I went to look for some iron for the smith and came back to four rows of fully planted berry bushes. While my boys were running around, I noticed my girl was missing. I asked Becky had he seen her, and he said no. I went to Sun and asked him and he said no. I didn't want to panic about it just yet so I went back to tending to the farm. That is when Sun came back with the bad news. He had found the corpse of my little girl, and I was too old to have any more children.

It is really depressing when you have a fully ready starter camp to find out the only girl had died. At first, I told my boys to go off into the wild and try to find a village to call their own. But then Sun told me about a town he had spotted earlier. Becky said only one word... "War??" Instantly I knew what I wanted to do. The boys packed their belongings. Sun had already found a war sword from a dead town, and I gave my knife to Becky. We packed and we rode out.

It was a long walk, but we made it there in time. Our first victim was a little girl, she had a bowl in her hand so I assume she was going to get water. I could tell my boys were hesitating, not going in. Of course, the little girl stopped, started speaking in her foreign tongue. Whatever she said was her last words. I shouted at my boys, "Kill them all!" Sun hesitated but Becky did not. Becky stabbed the girl without a sense of care. She was obviously shocked. We ran into the town and started laying waste to the town.

It all ended in mere seconds. I was surprised by how many my boys managed to kill in the short time we arrived. I counted at least four dead. One of the boys said he saw a young girl running off north. He wanted to give chase but I told him no. That is when the village elder came back. She started shouting at us in her foreign tongue but we did not care. Sun quickly stabbed her in the gut, shutting the old hag up quickly.

We stood there for a minute before we started gathering supplies. Crazy. The village had buildings, oil, and engines. Within the matter of a minute, all that work was destroyed with the slash of a blade. I should feel bad, but I don't.

The boys and I packed up what we found and began heading off, aiming to wipe out another town but then karma hit. I wasn't paying attention when a wolf came from behind a tree and ripped my entrails out. Becky was the first to notice, crying out a sorrowful no. Sun came back when he noticed that we weren't following.

I told the boys I love them, and that I was getting old anyway. We decided that this was going to be the end of our family. Becky took up a sword and killed Sun, and then starved himself afterward.

My apologies to the Tlliack family.

TL;DR: Build walls.

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4549538

#2 2019-05-22 11:10:20

MultiLife

Re: The Murderous Starr Family

Edgy.
And walls suck. They trap people, so they are just a bandaid solution for people who grief for the heck of it.

Instead of putting good out to go around, you chose grief.
You suffered the end of an Eve camp, and went to end another family.

How sad. I guess that's what happens when you achieve the level of "I don't care about others".
I've not played at all with swords in the game and these stories make me even less interested to do it. Just to be a sheep to slaughter, for the heck of it.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-05-22 11:13:52)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#3 2019-05-22 11:53:44

Baker

So your Eve run failed and you decided that nobody else should be allowed to have success if you can't. 

Would've have been a better idea to try and kidnap one of their girls. Don't make shitty excuse's, You weren't forced to grief.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#4 2019-05-22 12:37:39

DestinyCall

Why apologize if you already admitted that you don't feel bad?   

What a waste.   That family deserved better.

#5 2019-05-22 13:22:18

Ilka

Kami_The_Man wrote:

We didn't start that way. We weren't born evil, our environment made us that way.

Bloody griefer.

#6 2019-05-22 13:43:09

lychee

The problem with this is that I can’t tell if Jason considers this griefing or if it’s a feature.

#7 2019-05-22 14:00:18

DestinyCall

lychee wrote:

The problem with this is that I can’t tell if Jason considers this griefing or if it’s a feature.

I can't speak for Jason, but based on his previous comments, I suspect he would blame the victims of this attack for not adapting to the new meta and building walls to defend against griefer Eve attacks.

Rich mechanics, am I right?   

The war sword and re-vamped Eve spawns have made it much easier to be destructive toward peaceful villages without any negative consequence.   It is very frustrating.

#8 2019-05-22 14:23:08

Buggy

If you are playing the game to make your family lineage last as long as possible you should always kill nearby families and block off the eve spawns nearby.

There is no reason other than it feels bad to kill helpful nice players to keep another family in your village.
First of all there is the inevitable fact that they will have a bad kid who will kill your family with swords if they have the chance, secondly whether or not they are aggressive to your family two families will use the resources in the area faster then if you just have one. This makes it harder for your family to last long term.

Irl humans have many reasons to work together with people from different families and cultures, there are biological reasons, economic reasons, technological reasons, educational reasons, etc. Also people from other cultures are not more dangerous than people from your own.

In one hour one life however Jason has created a species that reproduces asexually and doesn't need genetic diversity to succeed undercutting the original biological reason humans are altruistic to outsiders in the first place. We are more like a bacteria or a beehive then humans. A beehive will kill other queen bees to make sure their genetics survive. Virgins Queen bees kill all of the other virgin queens in the hive, they do not share the hive with another laying queen they don't need more bees then they can produce themselves.

In OHOL you can probably justify keeping males from other families if they look helpful (since they are sterile), but if you are playing to try to make the longest living lineage then there is no reason to keep other families in the area alive.

#9 2019-05-22 15:10:56

miskas

I think its time to implement Interracial Marriages...

With Marriages peace among families is an option. Instead of wiping out an entire village cause we have nothing to care about anymore, we would be able to renew the family line by taking a girl from another family.

Even if we chose to live with other families People most of the time kill anyone who has no relation to them because they can't trust, them or their babies.
Give us incentives to communicate and co-operate with one another or the only way we will be coming together will be with swords.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … terracial/

Last edited by miskas (2019-05-22 15:12:20)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#10 2019-05-22 15:19:50

Kami_The_Man

MultiLife wrote:

Edgy.
And walls suck. They trap people, so they are just a bandaid solution for people who grief for the heck of it.

Instead of putting good out to go around, you chose grief.
You suffered the end of an Eve camp, and went to end another family.

How sad. I guess that's what happens when you achieve the level of "I don't care about others".
I've not played at all with swords in the game and these stories make me even less interested to do it. Just to be a sheep to slaughter, for the heck of it.

I've played this game for 300+ hours, this is my second-time ever killing someone with just the intention to kill. To try something out is not inherently evil. I know the way I wrote the story (which if you can't tell is dramatized) made it seem like I wiped the entire family. We at most killed four players plus a player about to die within the next two or three minutes. The village was way larger than that, and I for fact saw a little girl run off into the woods.

Baker wrote:

So your Eve run failed and you decided that nobody else should be allowed to have success if you can't. 

Would've have been a better idea to try and kidnap one of their girls. Don't make shitty excuse's, You weren't forced to grief.

Now I do admit, that would have been a much better outcome. If I had thought about, I would have most likely done this than launch an attack.

DestinyCall wrote:

Why apologize if you already admitted that you don't feel bad?   

What a waste.   That family deserved better.

I don't. I wasn't apologizing for the act, but that it had to be that family specifically.

Ilka wrote:
Kami_The_Man wrote:

Bloody griefer.

I don't really get you people. Can't separate playing with provided mechanics and griefing.

My family slaughtering four people + elderly woman is NOT griefing. I guarantee there was more than just five people in the village, not only that I also saw a little girl run off.  An example of griefing would be me hunting down every single member of the family, ruining all the food, filling everything with salt water (I think Jason fixed that) etc. etc.

What this conversation made me realized is that right now this game is giving to much power to the offensive side. Walls aren't really enough to protect against foreign invasion. However, since I fully believe in Jason he probably will add something that will level the playing field. (Or spend a month providing us with useless technology, who knows.)

Last edited by Kami_The_Man (2019-05-22 15:27:55)

#11 2019-05-22 15:35:30

Kami_The_Man

Was going through the Tillack family trying to confirm the kill count, but I believe the village elder was from an entirely different town or at least was born from another family.

I combed through her line and her third, second, and first cousin lines and could not find anybody else murdered by us. Either I'm missing the family line that had been killed or she was born from a different place, came there, etc. etc

#12 2019-05-22 15:46:38

Spoonwood

Kami_The_Man wrote:

You and your family should have gotten cursed to Donkey Town because of your actions.  People should be able to curse others outside of their lineage.

Buggy wrote:

If you are playing the game to make your family lineage last as long as possible you should always kill nearby families and block off the eve spawns nearby.

The later probably.  The former depends though on your family's effectiveness in war.  If no or minimal causalities of war, then yes.  If not, then no.  It can thus end up counterproductive to go to war with other existing families.  But, blocking off the Eves from getting to your town nearby will probably help (unless there's some other crisis in town).

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#13 2019-05-22 16:09:58

Kami_The_Man

That is fair @ Spoonwood. But... If Jason made that possible then what happens when a family rightfully murders another one? What prevents the family that was murdered from sending other people to Donkey Town for no good reason. Also, that can be used as a mean of harassment of griefers. Get a group of friends and send someone to hell for no good reason.

If anyone cares, I did just get some cosmic payback on my next life. I'll keep it short. Gingerhead family, I was going to be a rabbit hunter, make fur for everyone. On my second trip back, I saw a murder skeleton. Then another one. The culprit was my Aunt. By the grace of the Berry God himself, three foreigners showed up. One had a knife and quickly took my aunt out. I thanked her the best way I could, and I stopped my cousin from murdering her.

I came back from my trip of collecting a cart full of rabbits for the family. The foreigners had multiplied and could be considered another family living there, I think they brought more people over from their village. Without warning, a girl came up and stabbed me. I guess she assumed as I was random foreigner going to kill them since I hadn't been in the village for a good 20 minutes. The two who saved me from earlier started yelling and were to slow on the heal so I died.

So I guess at the end of the day; violence breeds more violence, and don't trust foreigners.

Last edited by Kami_The_Man (2019-05-22 16:11:39)

#14 2019-05-22 16:13:46

MultiLife

Kami_The_Man wrote:

I've played this game for 300+ hours, this is my second-time ever killing someone with just the intention to kill. To try something out is not inherently evil. I know the way I wrote the story (which if you can't tell is dramatized) made it seem like I wiped the entire family. We at most killed four players plus a player about to die within the next two or three minutes. The village was way larger than that, and I for fact saw a little girl run off into the woods.

To me, it's evil to go and ruin the gameplay experiences of others. In OHOL, you can force yourself into other people's space and do what you want to them and their surroundings, and you chose to end their gameplay sessions (aka killing them) for your entertainment. That's what's the problem to me. The girl who ran probably didn't like the experience, and I am pretty confident to bet the four you people killed did not have fun times.

Whether you ruin the game session of one or five players, it adds to their bad experiences and nudges them closer to stopping playing. Which in turn starts killing the game as people have their fills of getting murdered for the heck of it.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#15 2019-05-22 16:24:10

Kami_The_Man

I see your point @ MultiLife but I just have to say that it is apart of the game. Obviously, Jason at some point is trying to make war and murder an actually viable mechanic. Like Buggy said earlier, at some point, it will start being beneficial killing other families. More resources, expansion, etc. etc.

Now in my case, "ruining" their session was pretty pointless I do admit, but hey I'm hoping from the popularity of this thread Jason starts adding defensive updates like guard dogs or better-suited walls. Change only comes from a necessity for it.

After living a life in which I got unjustly killed, I do somewhat feel bad. I would never quit this game over being murdered, as I'm pretty much an addict to this. However, I can see why the more casual/new player will probably put the game off or go murder some people for the heck of it.

#16 2019-05-22 16:40:04

Whatever

Is it also evil when you shoot someone in CounterStrike?
Do you ruin someone elses experience by doing so?

No, because the game is intended to work this way.
You play the game by its rules and thats fair.

Jason recently added certain features to the game:
- you cannot curse other families
- your family will be one race, makes it easier to spot outsider
- other families talk gibberish, creates conflicts, and conflicts cannot be resolved with words
- everyone is now much closer together
- war swords

All of those changes were made for a reason.
Killing people from other families is an intended game mechanic.
Jason wanted war and he made these changes to support it.

If you want to complain about this, complain about the changes not the players.

#17 2019-05-22 17:16:01

Spoonwood

Kami_The_Man wrote:

But... If Jason made that possible then what happens when a family rightfully murders another one?

I'm having a hard time imagining such a situation.  Since I don't think such a situation exists, I'm not sure it's worth answering, other than to say that the system doesn't need to always work right.  It just has to work well often enough.  Being able to curse people from outside lineages I think would work well enough to deter one family from going on a senseless crusade for another.

Kami_The_Man wrote:

Also, that can be used as a mean of harassment of griefers.

Huh?  I'm not seeing that.  Also, your family might effectively curse one person to donkey town.  Cursing an entire lineage is another thing.  Sure, an evil, invading family might not all get cursed to donkey town.  But, having one of the individuals cursed might work as enough to deter such people in general from such crusades.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-05-22 17:26:12)

Danish Clinch.

#18 2019-05-22 17:25:50

Spoonwood

Whatever wrote:

All of those changes were made for a reason.
Killing people from other families is an intended game mechanic.
Jason wanted war and he made these changes to support it.

As said earlier in this thread violence begets more violence.  There exist several people other than myself who don't think the changes are good.  You provided this link on discord: https://steamcharts.com/app/595690#All  Participation numbers sure seem like they're still on a steady decline, don't they?  There isn't time for proper parenting or much civilization *building* with wars afoot.  And please don't fool yourself.  Wars do NOT have building civilizations as their objective.  They have destroying or hampering another civilization from it's objective.  People talking about killing Eves or trapping Eves is most definitely NOT civilization building.  But, that's what they probably need to do, because of the faulty war idea.  And plenty of people who have engaged in wars recently ended up in just bloody conflicts.   Going out and killing foreigners has fewer potential bad consequences, so it became more appealing to people.  So, the xenophobia update had the opposite effect of encouraging people to play for the sake of their lineages.  It discouraged people from playing for the sake of their lineages.  Therefore, bad design choices by Jason did happen with the xenophobia update.

Danish Clinch.

#19 2019-05-22 17:56:55

SpiritBomb32

lychee wrote:

Where's the line between raiding another village and griefing. If it was another family member, I'd consider it griefing. Its like the concept in Rust, if someone raided you and just blew out the doors, you wouldn't consider it griefing. If they blew out the doors, made a new TC and blocked the front door. preventing you from leaving, thats different.

Last edited by SpiritBomb32 (2019-05-22 18:12:12)

- "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."
Add books, please Jason.

Board footer