One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-22 01:29:09

GreatShawn

A way to make buildings useful

I mean, people might already have suggested this, but I dont care and im suggesting this!

So why do people create buildings in the real world? sure, it can be for warmth and aesthetics, but i think buildings are mainly created for protection against harsh weathers.

My idea is for there to be a rain clouds and roofs. a rain cloud is treated like an entity and moves around the map in grid-like patterens. Many of the clouds together can form a storm! When a rain cloud touches a roof, which ill talk in a bit, it will transition into a stormy cloud, but not raining. then when it is not touching a roof it will transiton back to a rain cloud. Rains can have a negative effect on players, like turning their clothes into rags and put out fires.

Now, roofs. This might be an over-the-top suggestion, but i think this will work really well with rains. Roofs have to be only be able to be placed on support beams or floors with support beams, similar to how you can only till soil on the ground. The indication that there is a roof is that there will be a shadow on the ground. the support beams can have several looks, and you can switch between them by tapping it with a stone. There can be one look where it is barely visible (thus not obstructing the views of people walking or working under the roofs), and one where it is very obivous (mainly for aestetic reasons). This can encourage people to build like little open-air workspaces like this one:

9Dj0UNa.jpg

But that may also have a disadvantage: It can be knocked over by winds! winds should act like rains and be more rare than rains, but it can knock down support beams and transition the support beams with roof into rubble pile. Now walls can stop the wind. The wind entity will dissapper if it touches a wall (similar to how a spring cart will turn into a crashed cart if it landed on a tile without a rail). so you can essentially have buildings with walls and support beams with roof that are immune to any kind of weather.

I think this will encourage people to build buildings more often, not for aestetic reasons, but for actual survival. I would be delighted to provide you some sprites for you Jason if you decide to take on this idea.

Board footer