One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-02 02:03:37

Wispin

Presiding over the death of a civilization

On my first real playthrough, I was born into a pretty sturdy village - the type with walls, carts full of carrots, an established process, and so forth.

But the older generation was dying off quickly. My mother disappeared early in my life - I was never sure what really happened to her, and my brother ran off with my uncle.

I fell in with my grandmother, helping her as best I could with what limited knowledge I had. When I was a teenager, she died, hastily teaching me how to make pie - her main contribution to the village, at that time - before she did.

I felt a little helpless after her death. The village was suddenly quiet - there were a few others around, but they didn't seem to do much. I saw one child be born, but it ran into the wilderness to die. I didn't know what to do, and the items scattered around the village were confusing to me, so I did my best to tidy things.

I built a rudimentary graveyard off to one side - it seemed only for the best that the center of the village wasn't covered with the bones of its former residents. I spent a lot of time cleaning up the village, stacking plates, baskets, and parking carts full of supplies.

There was plenty of food to sustain me for my entire life, and I didn't know enough about farming practices to get the raw materials required to make more advanced food, anyway. So I relegated myself to janitorial duties, and lame attempts at infrastructure, hoping someone would one day come along who would sweep me off my feet and help me run the village. Help me understand my place.

No such luck. I'm not sure what became of our village after I died. I hope my brother and uncle survived me; maybe they had children of their own in some other nearby village.

I don't know. Either way, I died in the graveyard, just to keep the place tidy.

A meager contribution, but hopefully someone will appreciate it when they stumble across the village someday.

#2 2018-04-02 02:12:55

Lily

Re: Presiding over the death of a civilization

Often time other people will arrive at old abandon places, and they can be a big help for Eves wandering the forest and stuff. Cleaning and organizing stuff also helps a lot. Things can get really crowded, and some people even occasionally die because they can't manage with all the stuff all over.

#3 2018-04-02 02:56:04

Siolfor the Jackal

You're doing a good thing. When I'm old in a camp and there are no more children, I usually spend the rest of my life just tidying ul and dry planting some seeds, getting a bunch of stuff ready for the next people who stumble across.

#4 2018-04-02 07:22:36

breezeknight

yeah, i try to keep sort of tidiness myself as well in a town/settlement, clearing corpses out, putting stuff in baskets & carts,
making new baskets, pouches ...

i even died once because i've just forgotten to take food with me while being a contributor to a complex economy
wasn't very tragic though, i was already 51
the life is so short in this game

i only wish if born as Eve in the widerness there would be at least a hint to where to find a settlement, without others it's rather hopeless anyway & in such a situation babies are the opposite of help

Last edited by breezeknight (2018-04-02 07:23:13)

#5 2018-04-02 08:28:01

Xuhybrid

Nothing more annoying than someone tidying stuff you're actually in the middle of using. Then you have to chase them down to get your tongs back or your sharp stone because it was clearly better to have it stored in a basket, 5 screens away from where it was being actively used. With that said, as the only person there, grouping items in appropriate locations, it's definitely a useful task to accomplish. However, with limited knowledge of what everything was for, i don't know if you'd be able to organise the right tools into the right places tongue

Board footer