One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-05-19 19:44:56

Solbusaur

Re: Does being (randomly) murdered make you want to play the game more?

Of course it doesn't make me want to play more, but it doesn't make me want to play less either

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#27 2019-05-19 19:48:56

DestinyCall

Honestly, I think the solution is to remove the war sword and to change how Eves spawn so they are not constantly on the edge of inhabited land and/or not able to spam Eve lives.   

Removing the war sword gets rid of the easy griefing for outsiders, while still keeping the danger of trusting people who you cannot curse or easily communicate with.   It would be possible to have a mixed town, but easier to have a single family town.   People will be able to make a choice between bridging the language barrier and trusting other families to live peacefully together with each family policing their own people and cursing them if they get out of line.   Or they can choose to self-isolate and wall off their towns to keep out the foreign peoples.   But it won't be just a black and white choice between letting griefers wipe out your town with a sword by being a dumb softie or guarding your town against a broken game mechanic by being a racist asshole. 

Changing the way Eves spawn would help to fix the feral Eve problem directly.   Either limit the number of Eves and give /die babies somewhere else to go if they are banned from all existing lineages.   Or re-think the current spawn strategy that places Eves near population centers.   I'm thinking that "Eve clusters" would be a better way to go.    Have Eves spawn together in relatively tight clusters for a period of time, then move the center of the spawn cluster far away and start spawning new Eves in a new cluster.     You will have a chance to be one of the first Eves in a cluster and have a virgin Eve run again where you are in natural, undisturbed territory.   Or you might spawn near the end of a cluster and have more failed Eve camps near your spawn point.    But it won't be a just one big ugly pile of dead towns on top of dead towns because everyone is spawning in the same spot indefinitely and the advanced towns have to deal with feral Eves while the Eves have to deal with a barren wasteland that has been striped of necessary resources.

#28 2019-05-19 20:29:48

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

I see what you mean especially now that eve's spawn close to populated area on purpose but if you allow curses then you remove an aspect of the game (raiding another village for ressourcs you need, any conflict between village that can arise)

So how would you solve that issue?

Um, so raids could still happen.  Griefers got away with raiding items from towns UNDER the old system sometimes.  Alright, I'll reveal one instance, because I'm not so sure about this qualifying as griefing to begin with, but it shows that raiding before could be possible (provided you could find the town).  I got born to an apocalypse maker once.  I wasn't happy with that, and in my opinion trying to make the apoclaypse means war on other societies since it's an attempt at massive property destruction (can you imagine America saying to Iraq 'we're going to send you back to the stone age', making that happen sans killing, and that not being an act of aggression by America?).  So, when I got older I started taking things out of town.  I stole the bellows.  I got rid of the end stone I think and the endblock.  Think I took iron too.  I destroyed the kilns with a mining pick once.  Maybe I took some buckets too?  I don't really recall everything was before the temperature overhaul I'm fairly sure.  Some kid in town later said 'this is the second time they've stolen the bellows'.  I knew I wasn't getting caught as I didn't have anyone chasing me or any signs of anyone cursing me.  So, I said to the kid 'there was an apocalypse maker'.  I think he said to me 'yea, but she died.'  I did stop like in my 40s or 50s and rode away from that town as I recall.  My final words were 'I hate you mom' as I recall.  You can say I was wrong if you like to try to slow town progress because I didn't like my mother the apocalypse maker.  But whether I made a good call or not isn't the point.  The point is that such illustrates raids as possible with the old mechanics.  So, I don't see how an aspect of the game would get removed.

Dodge wrote:

Imo with better medicine the problem of murders would be less of an issue (it has already been better since he changed swords)

Plenty of forms of griefing can be worse than murder.  Imagine a town with no milkweed seeds, no planted milkweed, has only deep wells close, and all the buckets are gone.  Functioning diesel water pump, oil rig, 15 full tanks, and 20 full cisterns?  Don't have a bucket **** it.

Lighting multiple fires can get done quickly.  Though, the griefer may well get caught in such a case, I'm not sure how big of a deal that will be to a griefer without the threat of curses.

Someone griefed a tarry spot recently.  No oil and you can't run a diesel water pump.  Though I'm not sure if it got blocked such that whatever blocked it couldn't get removed.

I'm sure there exists more possibilities.

Dodge wrote:

Having limited lives and removing curse system completely

Enough honest players just won't be happy with limited lives.  No, limited lives is just a bad idea.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-05-19 20:35:37)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#29 2019-05-19 20:32:42

Spoonwood

Léonard wrote:
Dodge wrote:

So how would you solve that issue?

First, you convince Jason that there's an issue in the first place.

Because that's the problem with him and every proponent of war swords.
They don't realize that problem, they'd rather strawman us into people who don't want violence at all whenever we make that point.

Jason sees that griefers literally scare people into building walls and thinks that's ok.
His rationalization is "well now you're building walls guys".

How can you seriously not see anything wrong with this kind of game designing?

I find it kind of baffling also.  When people get on me for using words like 'arrogant' and 'stubborn' to describe him after the whole 'rich' comment and his reaction to our reaction, I also find it kind of baffling... though admittedly I didn't always use nice words before this, so that might be a transference from other things I said in the past.

Danish Clinch.

#30 2019-05-19 20:54:51

Psykout

As to the Eve problem... Eve tokens? I think its been mentioned before, living to old age, 58+ allows you to spawn as an Eve. I doubt many griefers live that long, so their ability to spawn as a fully capable adult over and over would be hampered. Would also make it so more eves would be players that are potentially more experienced.

#31 2019-05-19 20:59:29

Thaulos

I honestly don't care much if I get murdered. It can be annoying if random but wouldn't stop me from hitting the "reborn" button.

Getting killed in a raid or in a disagreement or just in   some inter-personal conflict isn't that bad. Sure if I'm also trying to kill them and I lose the fight can be frustrating at that moment but it quickly evaporates in the face of the whole experience.

If I had to equate it to some other game it would be like being killed in mordhau. Not fun dying but most likely one will have fun while doing it, perhaps even cracking some laughter while insulting the other guys mom.

Last edited by Thaulos (2019-05-19 21:01:54)

#32 2019-05-19 21:02:02

MultiLife

I feel like Leonard is my clone. Everytime I read his posts I feel like I've written them.

I should marry him.
Sorry, I'm tired and I get jokesy when I'm tired.

And Spoonwood, I like you, I feel similarity towards you too. I don't recall a moment when I've thought you've gone too far or something, and am quite surprised when people are acting so cold towards you.
I just don't read you as rude as they do I guess. Or maybe I've missed your worst posts or something. I just think that you have a stern opinion you support and are quite cool-headed overall.

And on the topic, I dislike when I am randomly murdered. However, I rarely am, and I haven't played yet with swords in the game. Last time I got murdered was months ago (as I've avoided OHOL with swords thing going on) and it wasn't fun at all. There I was, helping my tiny overpopulated camp survive, doing stuff at farms, and bam, a kid barely old enough to hold a bow shoots me from the corner of my eye just for the heck of it. My lovely camp people are sad for me, and curse the boy trying to escape at snail speed. The boy starves before I die. Ridiculous...

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#33 2019-05-19 21:25:29

Sukallinen

Eve tokens yup.

#34 2019-05-20 01:43:00

Spoonwood

Thank you for the kind words MultiLife.  I do feel like I walk a fine line with my criticism sometimes.  Really any critic preferably will feel that way at times, because irresponsible criticism can happen.

I think I asked you before, but I don't recall if you responded, and perhaps I forgot that.  You were Kitana Spoon once?  What was the town like?  What made that life memorable?  Any idea if it was an early generation life or late generation life?

Danish Clinch.

#35 2019-05-20 04:35:03

MultiLife

Spoonwood wrote:

Thank you for the kind words MultiLife.  I do feel like I walk a fine line with my criticism sometimes.  Really any critic preferably will feel that way at times, because irresponsible criticism can happen.

I think I asked you before, but I don't recall if you responded, and perhaps I forgot that.  You were Kitana Spoon once?  What was the town like?  What made that life memorable?  Any idea if it was an early generation life or late generation life?

Np. And yes I wrote you a hefty story about Kitana, with pictures, here where you asked it the first time:
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 301#p56301
big_smile

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#36 2019-05-20 05:07:11

antking:]#

I feel like that Jason making eves spawn closer to gether was a good thing I was getting tired of just having: family = town...

I also enjoy the language feature as your people slowly learn languages... and having family's divide by race isn't  really a bad thing it does promote racism (using a race as a marker to kill)

what Jason really screwed on was swords that just ruined the whole point of "coming to gether" I believe that most of the forum agrees is not all agree that swords ruined this update.

its gotten better do to nerfes but it still is the main reason why people aren't"coming to gether"  I feel that the community should have first discused swords, before them being implanted in the game, and they should have had more time to get adjusted being closer to gether

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#37 2019-05-20 20:04:47

Spoonwood

MultiLife wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

Np. And yes I wrote you a hefty story about Kitana, with pictures, here where you asked it the first time:
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 301#p56301
big_smile

Thanks!  Sorry... I missed that before!  I don't recall founding a spot quite like that, but then again, I might not be the only person who has ever used 'Eve Spoon'.  I also did a lot of Eve runs for a few weeks, so it could have been me.  Good to see pictures!  Thanks again!

Danish Clinch.

#38 2019-05-20 20:05:48

Spoonwood

antking:]# wrote:

I feel like that Jason making eves spawn closer to gether was a good thing I was getting tired of just having: family = town...

I also enjoy the language feature as your people slowly learn languages... and having family's divide by race isn't  really a bad thing it does promote racism (using a race as a marker to kill)

what Jason really screwed on was swords that just ruined the whole point of "coming to gether" I believe that most of the forum agrees is not all agree that swords ruined this update.

its gotten better do to nerfes but it still is the main reason why people aren't"coming to gether"  I feel that the community should have first discused swords, before them being implanted in the game, and they should have had more time to get adjusted being closer to gether

What's your opinion on not being able to curse someone who doesn't have the same family name as you?

Danish Clinch.

#39 2019-05-20 20:51:32

BladeWoods

In a way griefers always being eves to avoid cursing has made your own family more trustworthy.

Board footer