One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-19 11:16:41

wondaland

Why do so many/die when born into an eve village?

Why do so many/die when born into an eve village?

I personally really enjoy playing as an eve or her early descendants, paving the way for, hopefully, may generations to come. I love the challenge of getting a kiln set up, farm planted and well started before your family starves. Catching those first rabbits and the sense of accomplishment and gratitude when you hand your sis/bro a fresh BP. Going off to find the first bits of iron and returning to find nine berry bushes ready to be picked and a dozen new bowls. Watching your niece lay down the foundations for sheep and the general sense of progress.

I suppose all of the reasons I love eve life could be why others avoid it. It is incredibly difficult and many who try to live starve anyway. An early village certainly isn't new player friendly though, strangely enough, I see quite a few of those players actually sticking around and TRYING as opposed to the many that /die as soon as they see you there naked next to a stone hatchet and a bunch of unforged bowels. That is not to say I don't see experienced players doing their thing in an eve camp as well, that goes without saying. I suppose my point is there aren't many, in general, who stick around.

So what technology stage is you favourite and why? And if you are one who avoids eve camps why is that? Id love to hear some different perspectives.

#2 2019-05-19 11:27:26

futurebird

Re: Why do so many/die when born into an eve village?

I've stopped using /die except if I haven't been Eve or in an Eve camp for two days or more then I spam it to get there. I haven't been en Eve in a long long time. I love Eve camps too! But when I was a brand new player I found towns were a bit easier to not starve in, and I was excited to see all of the tech. Personally my favorite part of the game is when a town runs out of water and you need to rush to build the first pump or engine. I love how people take on different jobs to support the larger project:
-getting kindling
-keeping the main fire going and stacking wood there
-getting iron
-smelting wrought iron and steel
-Making food (pies, soup, berries, burritos)
-making rubber
-making the hammer, lathe etc.
-drilling for oil
-building roads to oil and nearby springs
-making kerosine
-making the engine parts and the engine
-Cleaning up bones and clutter
-making clothing (wool or rabbits)

There's just so much to do!

Once the engine is there I feel like people are less excited. But I don't understand why??? Now you have all the water you want and with compost all the soil too! Now you can make MASSIVE farms and tons of milkweed and make enough for your town and your neighbors too. But often it gets side tracked by murders at this point and I just find that frustrating and pretty boring.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#3 2019-05-19 11:31:52

Keyin

I usually /die when I get born into an eve camp, especially now because there are probably going to be alot of eves spawning nearby who will probably end up killing us.

I  mostly don't stay because whenever I stick around I end up starving to death because I don't pay enough attention to foodbar when naked and the amount of food left. I also feel bad taking some of the limited food.
I also like a more relaxed pace, and in an eve camp it often feels like every moment is precious and you're racing against the clock to not starve constantly.

My favorite stage is usually a village where there is someone alive who remembers eve or the last person to meet eve recently died. Ideal number of people being roughly 3-6 adults. Enough to have someone working on everything but not so many that you feel like some of your family are strangers. I also like this stage because it feels like there are still a good amount of resources  and things aren't crowded in with buildings yet.

#4 2019-05-19 12:01:47

Solbusaur

I generally prefer generations 3 and up since the hardest part of establishing a village is finished

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#5 2019-05-19 15:56:28

Draicclan

I'm the opposite of Solbusaur. I love the challenge of establishing a village! It's also the only tech tier in which I know how to make everything needed. But I'm never born into eve villages, instead, it's my curse to be born into high tech towns 75% of the time. I never /die because I think choosing your life takes away from the game.

I did get born once to an Eve today, however, she choose to abandon me. This also increases the rarity for me to live an Eve village life.

Where are all these Eve towns that you are in? Where can I join one, lol?

Long story short: My favorite stage IS the eve stage, and I rarely get to play in them sad

#6 2019-05-19 16:39:07

Tarr
Banned

I think the classic problem with Eve play is its pretty much written in stone at this point with very little if any wiggle room. This means almost every Eve life is close to being the same with the only difference between Eve camps being the skill of the players around you while you work. I can generally stand to do an early game run every once in a while but I wouldn't ever want to constantly play feral Eve life. Basically, almost every Eve life is incredibly samey.

Right now is just worse than before because Eve really can't play as Eve anymore without running out to greener pasture. Her options are either to go find a town to assimilate into or to go find a dead town to revive.

fug it’s Tarr.

#7 2019-05-19 17:09:43

BladeWoods

I've played a long time and so to me eve/early life is not too challenging anymore and gets boring because it is so samey like Tarr said. Late villages unfortunately turn into stone wall and garbage apocalypses so like mid-game is the most fun for me.

#8 2019-05-19 18:09:37

Jk Howling

Personally I miss eve runs. Tarr is right, they're not quite the same as they used to be, because eves now only spawn near people. You don't see wild eves in an untouched wilderness anymore, it's all just picked over wastelands and dead towns.. I miss being able to claw my way up from nothing. I miss being on my own, with only my kids to help me. I miss how exciting it was to find a dead city - now they're everywhere, and it's no longer much of a surprise.

-Has ascended to better games-

#9 2019-05-19 20:58:44

Psykout

Tarr wrote:

I think the classic problem with Eve play is its pretty much written in stone at this point with very little if any wiggle room. This means almost every Eve life is close to being the same with the only difference between Eve camps being the skill of the players around you while you work. I can generally stand to do an early game run every once in a while but I wouldn't ever want to constantly play feral Eve life. Basically, almost every Eve life is incredibly samey.

Right now is just worse than before because Eve really can't play as Eve anymore without running out to greener pasture. Her options are either to go find a town to assimilate into or to go find a dead town to revive.

Before the close spawning change but after springs it felt like eve play was shooken up a little. Had a town that settled on a badlands. With borders being savanna and grass with the nearest swamp a little bit of a hike. We lived off wild rabbit pies until we got the spring tapped and then started farming. Was refreshing.

#10 2019-05-19 21:31:19

Solbusaur

I think Tarr gets it right, for me especially it's far too repetitive compared to other lives

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#11 2019-05-19 21:58:56

Joseph Stalin

dont slash die to get eve EVER under any circumstances you are not helping when you are an eve and there are 20 ok alive towns already

#12 2019-05-20 05:12:26

Psykout

Jk Howling wrote:

Personally I miss eve runs. Tarr is right, they're not quite the same as they used to be, because eves now only spawn near people. You don't see wild eves in an untouched wilderness anymore, it's all just picked over wastelands and dead towns.. I miss being able to claw my way up from nothing. I miss being on my own, with only my kids to help me. I miss how exciting it was to find a dead city - now they're everywhere, and it's no longer much of a surprise.

This hits the nail on the head pretty well. It wasn't so terrible before to have people quit out of an eve camp becaude they don't appreciate those aspects like we did. Now when it happens its doubly saddening because of the rarity of a real eve camp. I kind of laugh at the same time, because those dead towns have to come from somewhere, keep up that attitude and you'll never have a town to be in.

Board footer