One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-18 20:16:44

Cookie

Do you welcome Eves in your village/town?

It's no wonder that the language barrier made people more suspicious of outsiders and I definetaly have experienced a stray Eve stealing our weapons and killing us. But I believe sometimes Eves that come wandering to your town deserve a chance, especially if they are willing to learn to communicate and contribute. I had such a life earlier today in the Naab family and was pleasantly surprised at how friendly and welcoming everyone was to me. Unlike the "Peace" family, who killed my baby and later me, despite me not taking weapons or stealing anything from them.

I also think that most times you can tell someone's intentions by observing them for a minute or two. How do you guys react to Eves coming to your town?

#2 2019-05-18 20:22:25

DestinyCall

Re: Do you welcome Eves in your village/town?

I follow the Golden Rule and try to treat other people how I would like to be treated by them.   If you don't cause trouble, I won't cause you any trouble.   We are all just villagers, trying to enjoy the same game.

#3 2019-05-18 20:45:21

Solbusaur

I try to welcome any outsiders, unless they have a sword or any weapon in general. If they do, I keep a constant eye on them

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#4 2019-05-18 21:22:06

Hans

I kill them every time.
In my last game in the Falls Family I spent my time building a wall and killing all intruders that came into our perimeter.
We had 6 instances of these 5 were eves. I killed all of the eves using Bow and arrow. Another case was a woman on a horse cart with fancy clothing.
In this case she was actually stealing from us. My son stabbed her. Great Guy.
Anyways foreign eves present a double problem:
1. a mortal threat to your progeny, since you can't curse them
2. resource competition
In the long term killing them is always the safest option if they get in.

#5 2019-05-18 22:28:48

lychee

I'm personally in the peace/love camp, but that's entirely for moral reasons only.

Viewing objectively, I legitimately think that killing eves is optimal and helps your town survive longer.

Even if the Eve herself seems friendly, if a mixed town is established, there is guaranteed to be an eventual descendent (either on your family or the eve's) who will inevitably stab the other side (either griefing or warmonger-style vindicativeness) and trigger a feud/massacre. I've seen this happen with a few times and it's not pretty.

Honestly, from a game theory perspective there is no benefit to having a mixed town, and it only comes with enhanced risks.

All that time spent on translation papers/watching/guarding/paranoia of an outsider could have been spent on babysitting/teaching a female noob so she doesn't die to mosquitos, making clothes for all the naked people, and making more food varities for yum -- which could have increased the fertility of your own lineage in a way such that the benefit of one extra fertile girl (the Eve) is insignificant.

Despite this all -- I hate the idea of killing just because someone is an outsider.

#6 2019-05-18 22:37:51

Potjeh

I don't do it myself, but killing Eves is the only rational choice.

#7 2019-05-18 22:43:26

Tarr
Banned

If you're seriously afraid of Eves walking into your village you should be blocking their spawns instead of trying to just kill/fence your town off. You can either convert springs to wells which will push Eves further away from your town or put large Eve cages around springs in an attempt to have them just die whenever they spawn.

fug it’s Tarr.

#8 2019-05-18 22:59:20

w0wma

i stab them and their babies.

#9 2019-05-19 00:42:53

futurebird

Yes, and I'll kill you if you don't give them a fighting chance.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#10 2019-05-19 00:49:33

Jaona

donotfeed
No.

Mofobert on discord, message me for a good time.

#11 2019-05-19 01:02:35

Thaulos

Most issues seem to occur with the occasional griefer (which already happened before) or outsiders coming to steal or kill.

Having multiple families living in a town seems to work fine even with the language feature.

Jason finally succeeded in making fences relevant and probably essential. Almost every town without surrounding fences I have been suffered from serious theft from outsiders. I guess new eves find it easier to just take from existing towns than make stuff from scratch whenever they want to build their own town.

Ironically it seems that what made fences relevant wasn't language, lineage bans or the existence of fences themselves but the fact that so many eves spawn close together.

Last edited by Thaulos (2019-05-19 01:04:04)

#12 2019-05-19 01:06:32

RodneyC86

What lychee said is pretty much my mindset..

Yeah I would not allow an Eve to come to my village, totally not worth it. I won't kill them outright but you better not come anywhere near us or I will stab you. Go and settle somewhere else.

#13 2019-05-19 01:12:01

Tarr
Banned

Thaulos wrote:

Most issues seem to occur with the occasional griefer (which already happened before) or outsiders coming to steal or kill.

Having multiple families living in a town seems to work fine even with the language feature.

Jason finally succeeded in making fences relevant and probably essential. Almost every town without surrounding fences I have been suffered from serious theft from outsiders. I guess new eves find it easier to just take from existing towns than make stuff from scratch whenever they want to build their own town.

Ironically it seems that what made fences relevant wasn't language, lineage bans or the existence of fences themselves but the fact that so many eves spawn close together.

Eves cannot function without running far away from a camp/city/village as most of the time once a city is big enough to draw an Eve to a spring the natural resources are barren. It's much easier for an Eve to either steal or assimilate into a village as otherwise they're stuck running as far as possible to find a workable area.

Seems like a better long term strategy to disable springs around a city than to risk being entrapped. I've already seen a village get completely walled in by fences and I'm certain it won't be the last.

fug it’s Tarr.

#14 2019-05-19 01:12:47

RodneyC86

Thaulos wrote:

Well walls were made to protect civilization from barbarians in history. So totally makes sense.

Wouldnt it be good for the bigger town to send sort of a 'missionary'? Preferably a guy to show we have no intention to populate their camp. I hope marriage is allowed at some point, once married the smaller eve camp members won't be considered outsiders anymore and war swords won't work. Then mingling can officially begin with no risk of sword massacre. In names, to differentiate from outsider or not, just add the in-law suffix in the relationship info

Board footer