One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-05-18 01:45:59

FeignedSanity

Re: How to make swords balanced

jasonrohrer wrote:

Right now, when you send a KILL message, you send a tile position of the target, along with the ID of the target.  The server verifies that the target is really there, or moving near there, before allowing it.  Really, it should just check if the target is still in range, wherever they may be moving, even if they're not standing where you clicked anymore.

This would be a really nice quality of life change for the bow.

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#27 2019-05-18 01:53:34

lychee

My only concern about the emote thing is that it's not exactly intuitive.

If you're a new player, it would be bizarre if the sword doesn't work when you try clicking the regular way.

The effect of this would be that only experienced players would know how to use swords... which may end up backfiring because generally speaking I think(?) newbies are disproportionately the victims of swords and veterans are more commonly the aggressors.

#28 2019-05-18 01:58:36

Greep

jasonrohrer wrote:

/WARCRY emote....

The problem with run-and-kill is that there's still a tiny bit of execution with clicking on a moving target client-side.... not sure there.... maybe a bullet time when you're in ANGRY mode that makes it impossible to mis-click.  Or time just freezes until you click someone or cancel the action.

Well like I said early, you could also just have the server pick the closest target to the click.

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#29 2019-05-18 02:00:15

jasonrohrer
Administrator

No, I meant freezing client-side only.  Like an "WHO DO YOU WANT TO KILL" thing, where you can easily click someone on your screen.  Then you send the command to the server, chase them down, and do it.  Kinda like a "considered lunge" mechanic.

And as for the emote, I meant it only as a safety, to prevent killing someone by accident ever, not to make killing harder.  There are only two mouse buttons, after all.  I could add another key, but that's something else to learn.  Though I guess the emote is something to learn.... though it's a bit more thematic.  "I just can't do it, grampa."  "Tap into your anger, sonny."

#30 2019-05-18 02:04:59

Greep

Oh I know, I just mean, is there a reason that's better?  I guess my way, it's quicker (no freezing either side, just server guesswork); your way it's harder to accidentally kill someone unintended.  But accidentally killing someone unintended is pretty rare, usually it's accidentally killing at all, like you meant to slice bread and WHOOPS lol.  I can see either way working, though.

Last edited by Greep (2019-05-18 02:15:44)

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#31 2019-05-18 02:05:07

FeignedSanity

jasonrohrer wrote:

"I just can't do it, grampa."  "Tap into your anger, sonny."

+1 lol

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#32 2019-05-18 02:05:40

Grim_Arbiter

jasonrohrer wrote:

No, I meant freezing client-side only.  Like an "WHO DO YOU WANT TO KILL" thing, where you can easily click someone on your screen.  Then you send the command to the server, chase them down, and do it.  Kinda like a "considered lunge" mechanic.

And as for the emote, I meant it only as a safety, to prevent killing someone by accident ever, not to make killing harder.  There are only two mouse buttons, after all.  I could add another key, but that's something else to learn.  Though I guess the emote is something to learn.... though it's a bit more thematic.  "I just can't do it, grampa."  "Tap into your anger, sonny."

I like this idea. No more kitchen accident guilt!

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#33 2019-05-18 02:10:08

Bob 101

So basically VATS

If ranged is such a good counter to swords, You should add guns.

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-05-18 02:11:23)

#34 2019-05-18 02:14:07

Tarr
Banned

Bow change is great. Having arrows be shot and just get deleted because someone isn't actually on a tile was an annoying thing to begin with.

I think the emote thing sounds like a good change since it gives a visible indicator that someone isn't friendly (besides the drawn weapon) and makes me think of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6vHOR8lzTg

fug it’s Tarr.

#35 2019-05-18 02:14:26

antking:]#

How about when you stab some one with a sword will get a 60 second cooldown.... BUT when some one else from your family pads you. you loose the cooldown and can stab another person, but the person who padded you will take in your cooldown.... as they carry the bloody pad.

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#36 2019-05-18 02:35:07

jasonrohrer
Administrator

So they clean the sword for you?

For the time being, along with the click thing being somewhat fixed (especially for ranged weapons, and little more wiggle room for non-ranged), I've made the sword require a forge to make, and added a slowdown to the bloody sword, but still made it drop-able.  So you can drop your weapon and get away, making it more powerful than the knife.

I will be revisiting this next week, hopefully making combat execution a non-factor in some way.

#37 2019-05-18 02:38:45

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Greep, I hear you, and I'm probably going to do something like that.  It's like League of Legends, where you target an attack, and just walk there and do it.  I'd add a speed-up when attacking, so the other person just can't get away, no matter what.

The problem is that if they are dancing around, they may be hard to click in the first place.  I think your suggestion was that you'll just go after the closest person to your click.... what if they dance around your family members?  I dunno... I feel like it needs to be really exact.

I've almost thought about it like cursing... you say "I'M GOING TO KILL JAMES JOHNSON" and then you just go and do it, with red words above your head, and an auto-rage scream or something.

Of course, doing it by name is messy.... but I'm thinking about something with as little execution as that.

#38 2019-05-18 02:44:34

DestinyCall

jasonrohrer wrote:

This is highlights why it's important that I don't automatically listen to direct input from players.  The immediate feedback was that the sword was broken and needed to be removed.

So it's not weapons that are the problem, or that they are too powerful.  It's actually, strangely, that they aren't powerful enough in the face of someone who is dancing around.

And this post highlights why it is frustrating to report game problems to you.   :-(

#39 2019-05-18 02:44:41

Greep

How about you autoscream some insult on the person you're attacking so you know you picked the right target?  Like literally you right click close to James Johnson and you get a speech bubble with "<randomized insult> JAMES JOHNSON".  Just a silly idea.

#40 2019-05-18 02:57:19

lychee

Greep wrote:

How about you autoscream some insult on the person you're attacking so you know you picked the right target?  Like literally you right click close to James Johnson and you get a speech bubble with "<randomized insult> JAMES JOHNSON".  Just a silly idea.

I would love this haha xD

#41 2019-05-18 03:01:36

Dodge

A slingshot to slow down the sword runner eels.

#42 2019-05-18 03:23:58

Grim_Arbiter

jasonrohrer wrote:

Greep, I hear you, and I'm probably going to do something like that.  It's like League of Legends, where you target an attack, and just walk there and do it.  I'd add a speed-up when attacking, so the other person just can't get away, no matter what.

Ehh i dont dig the speed boost idea though. If you come at me with a sword at least give me a chance to run. Armed people being faster than unarmed is just illogical.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#43 2019-05-18 03:53:33

jasonrohrer
Administrator

The idea, Grim, is exactly that running away is a problem.  If you can run away, then so can a griefer.  If the griefer can run away, then there's no safety in numbers.

Safety in numbers is only possible if killing is a logical action instead of a skill-based action.

Then, even if you have 2 vs 1, you have:

KILL

vs.

KILL
HEAL

Otherwise, whoever gets the jump wins, because they can do:

KILL
DANCE

While you are stuck failing to kill them.  They got the jump on you, so you didn't even know that dancing was necessary.

#44 2019-05-18 04:07:30

DestinyCall

Killing causes me great anxiety and emotional distress.   I will always be bad at it, dance or no dance.

Any chance you could buff healing/medicine at the same time as you make killing easier?   

I'm really good with fixing people up and reducing the damage from a sudden attack, but our current options are quite limited and labor intensive to produce.

#45 2019-05-18 04:37:02

Dodge

Dodge wrote:

A slingshot to slow down the sword runner eels.

Or even easier just throwing round stones.

Since the code for long range weapon has been updated it would solve the 2v1 Issue

"Safety in numbers is only possible if killing is a logical action instead of a skill-based action."

One with a rock the other with a sword.

#46 2019-05-18 05:05:09

DestinyCall

If you could hit someone with a thrown round rock to slow them down and make them drop their weapon, that would be really handy for village defense.

#47 2019-05-18 05:07:47

Tarr
Banned

DestinyCall wrote:

If you could hit someone with a thrown round rock to slow them down and make them drop their weapon, that would be really handy for village defense.

Snowballs exist but require town to be near a snowbank. Though, I'd love an item to replace a snowball for a disarming item as it feels a little silly to be snowballing someone then proceeding to stab them.

fug it’s Tarr.

#48 2019-05-18 05:11:42

antking:]#

Tarr wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

Snowballs exist but require town to be near a snowbank. Though, I'd love an item to replace a snowball for a disarming item as it feels a little silly to be snowballing someone then proceeding to stab them.

that's why you throw ICE balls! trust me they hurt a lot more then snow balls

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#49 2019-05-18 05:18:15

Dodge

Yeah snowballs or ice balls wont work since they melt.

#50 2019-05-18 05:29:15

Grim_Arbiter

jasonrohrer wrote:

The idea, Grim, is exactly that running away is a problem.  If you can run away, then so can a griefer.  If the griefer can run away, then there's no safety in numbers.

Safety in numbers is only possible if killing is a logical action instead of a skill-based action.

Then, even if you have 2 vs 1, you have:

KILL

vs.

KILL
HEAL

Otherwise, whoever gets the jump wins, because they can do:

KILL
DANCE

While you are stuck failing to kill them.  They got the jump on you, so you didn't even know that dancing was necessary.

Well i just see abuse on unarmed people skyrocket if that's the case. There would be no escape for an eve or any early family. Your giving someone an unfair advantage because of dancing?

While I would miss running circles around bad griefers with the bow (I literally love doing this) I can accept the targeting system. I just dont think it should be a first click always wins thing. Or like said, something other than a snowball to disarm. If someone runs outside of your field of view I think they should be spared from auto lock too. We are talking people with weapons here, not long range homing missiles.

--Grim

Board footer