One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-17 19:49:45

Toxic
Banned

Jason! it worked

Guys jason got what he wanted im too lazy to provide picture but you can play and see most cities are walled off.
i like that but idk about other so much.....

#2 2019-05-17 19:53:18

Psykout

Re: Jason! it worked

All I see is time wasted on maintaining walls and paranoia. In the time it took to wall of a town you could feed a generation or two. But hey we have cheap sheep pens so eff us right?

#3 2019-05-17 20:07:01

Dodge

Less than 24 hours after the update came out, pretty good.

#4 2019-05-17 20:59:23

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Once every two lifetimes, you hand a toddler a rock and tell them to fix all the fences.  Even on a huge perimeter, walking around doing that will take a few minutes at most.

Did you expect to have towns close together without any boundaries?

Did you prefer the old Eve spiral where everyone was so far apart that you never saw another family?  Then at least you could live in peace, without worrying about what players from other families would do.

#5 2019-05-17 21:12:21

Buggy

jasonrohrer wrote:

Once every two lifetimes, you hand a toddler a rock and tell them to fix all the fences.  Even on a huge perimeter, walking around doing that will take a few minutes at most.

Did you prefer the old Eve spiral where everyone was so far apart that you never saw another family?  Then at least you could live in peace, without worrying about what players from other families would do.

Yes I preferred it when I could live in peace most of the time.

#6 2019-05-17 21:20:10

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yes, I preferred it that way.  I haven't played on bs2 since the sword update and don't have plans to play on it in the future at this point in time.  People aren't building a civilization or parenting with all the trolls who are griefing about now from what I've heard.

And yes towns could be close together without boundaries.  I see nothing wrong with such an expectation.  It happened in some places on the old server12 and looks like it will happen again.  It involves respect... not fear... respect, which apparently you don't want to encourage between players Jason.  Apparently you just want fear and paranoia.  How boring.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#7 2019-05-18 19:43:18

Peaches

I actually prefer how it is now, gameplay was getting stale and I never had reason to stay on my toes.
I've never heard of a city irl that didn't have it's boundries laid out in some way, walls are the only way to make that happen in OHOL.

The Frank to your Cleopatra

#8 2019-05-18 20:30:03

Stormyzabeast

I hate the walls. They're ugly, get in the way, left bundled everywhere... Just bad overall

I am Eve Toadvine. I name my kids Alex, Jason, Jake, Holly and Disney characters. Forager and road builder extraordinaire!

#9 2019-05-19 02:17:13

MiniblueWarrior

Dude who cares? Walls, no walls, thats just an available option. Why do most of you "veterans" and new people complain so much. Dont build walls if you dont want walls. I dont agree with everything in this game, especially not this whole "new town every hour" idea, but why sit here and whine about something so stupid? And he wants his game to have more town interaction, so he made them closer. So what? And now you can build walls if another town is up to no good. Some of you need to stop whining and contribute ideas, not emotions.

#10 2019-05-19 03:28:47

Spoonwood

MiniblueWarrior wrote:

Dude who cares? Walls, no walls, thats just an available option. Why do most of you "veterans" and new people complain so much. Dont build walls if you dont want walls. I dont agree with everything in this game, especially not this whole "new town every hour" idea, but why sit here and whine about something so stupid? And he wants his game to have more town interaction, so he made them closer. So what? And now you can build walls if another town is up to no good. Some of you need to stop whining and contribute ideas, not emotions.

You can't have honest feedback without the possibility and actuality of negative feedback.  You can't design a product which satisifies people if they are disaatisifed.  Also, Jason asked our opinion in this case, so it's especially odd that you want to call people whiners.

Also, the person complaining cares.  Apparently you don't realize that such a person exists.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-05-19 03:29:18)

Danish Clinch.

#11 2019-05-19 03:57:16

MiniblueWarrior

Spoonwood wrote:
MiniblueWarrior wrote:

You can't have honest feedback without the possibility and actuality of negative feedback.  You can't design a product which satisifies people if they are disaatisifed.  Also, Jason asked our opinion in this case, so it's especially odd that you want to call people whiners.

Also, the person complaining cares.  Apparently you don't realize that such a person exists.

I totally believe in negative and positive feedback, but it is not as if he himself is building the walls. The towns are. They are not mandatory, they are merely a feature. If he was making the game in such a way that every town just had walls no matter what that would be different. Its more like having a neighbor look at your yard and complain about your legally built fence than forcing said neighbor to build one himself if that makes sense. And as for the towns being closer, (that may have been another forum, but for the sake of example i will mention it) it is different to present the problems caused by close proximity vs. Saying "i dont like it its annoying". Feedback is constructive, negativity without any real reasoning or that is purely "I like to play this way and dont like other people playing any other way" is not feedback. Some people like their walls. So what?

Last edited by MiniblueWarrior (2019-05-19 04:02:06)

#12 2019-05-19 07:35:47

mrbah

I expected the radio to enable towns to find each other.
Give us a building (astronomy tower or something) that tells us our absolute coordinates, then we can send people to a town we trust.

How does the language update work with radios by the way? Do kids who hear foreign language via the radio understand it?

#13 2019-05-19 13:06:17

WalrusesConquer

Radios are the same for everyone

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#14 2019-05-19 15:22:14

Spoonwood

MiniblueWarrior wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
MiniblueWarrior wrote:

I totally believe in negative and positive feedback, but it is not as if he himself is building the walls. The towns are. They are not mandatory, they are merely a feature. If he was making the game in such a way that every town just had walls no matter what that would be different. Its more like having a neighbor look at your yard and complain about your legally built fence than forcing said neighbor to build one himself if that makes sense. And as for the towns being closer, (that may have been another forum, but for the sake of example i will mention it) it is different to present the problems caused by close proximity vs. Saying "i dont like it its annoying". Feedback is constructive, negativity without any real reasoning or that is purely "I like to play this way and dont like other people playing any other way" is not feedback. Some people like their walls. So what?

I didn't complain about people building city walls, did I?  "I like to play with people building city walls and don't like other people playing without city walls" has more lied along the lines of Jason's attitude.  Take a look at what Jason says here:

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6529

Here's some other quotes from Jason:

jasonrohrer wrote:

But there are other things in that trailer that you currently don't see very much of in the game.  Buildings.  City walls and gates.  Specialization.

jasonrohrer wrote:

My vision for the game is to have those things occurring in the game, almost always.

jasonrohrer wrote:

You don't build buildings or walls or gates in the game for one simple reason:  YOU DON'T NEED THEM.

My vision for the game is to actually make you need such things.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6524

No, Jason doesn't want walls to merely be a feature.  He wants you to *need* them.  That's what he said, isn't it?

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-05-19 15:23:46)

Danish Clinch.

#15 2019-05-20 03:03:48

MiniblueWarrior

Spoonwood wrote:
MiniblueWarrior wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

I didn't complain about people building city walls, did I?  "I like to play with people building city walls and don't like other people playing without city walls" has more lied along the lines of Jason's attitude.  Take a look at what Jason says here:

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6529

Here's some other quotes from Jason:

jasonrohrer wrote:

But there are other things in that trailer that you currently don't see very much of in the game.  Buildings.  City walls and gates.  Specialization.

jasonrohrer wrote:

My vision for the game is to have those things occurring in the game, almost always.

jasonrohrer wrote:

You don't build buildings or walls or gates in the game for one simple reason:  YOU DON'T NEED THEM.

My vision for the game is to actually make you need such things.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6524

No, Jason doesn't want walls to merely be a feature.  He wants you to *need* them.  That's what he said, isn't it?

I wasnt really reffering to you, you and I tend to agree on things. But thats because we give real reasons. A lot of people on this thread are not doing that. Sorry if my previous comment came off as a blanket statement. Its just mere complaining without support only fuels his excuse that the players just whine. I agree with the problem, sorry if I came off as trying to shut down the conversation.

#16 2019-05-20 13:15:07

Spoonwood

Looks like I misunderstood you MiniBlueWarrior.  My apologies.

Danish Clinch.

#17 2019-05-20 13:50:50

MistressZues

Peaches wrote:

I actually prefer how it is now, gameplay was getting stale and I never had reason to stay on my toes.
I've never heard of a city irl that didn't have it's boundries laid out in some way, walls are the only way to make that happen in OHOL.

Im all for the new update as well, Jason offers us a game that is constantly changing and keeping us on our toes, not many games can boast that!!

Check this out upvote if you agree!!! https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … heck_this/

Board footer