One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-17 07:20:38

Dodge

[Invasions and griefing] Watchtower to spectate nearby players .

This happenned recently in a town:

screen00330.jpg

I asked around but like always nobody knew who dit it.

Then he managed to take the horsecart and fill it with baskets of pies while i was out of town, i saw him leave with the horsecart and pies but couldnt be fast enough to get his name, i asked and again nobody knew...

For some reason nobody found strange that someone was putting all the pies in a horsecart.

Anyway cutting all the good trees, stealing pies and other valuables to hide them etc will most likely always happen and most of the time we are powerless with a limited vision and people doing their own thing.

Having a watchtower that zooms (or using mod) out is a possibility but i find it very inaesthetic and gives you a kind of god-like point of view which i personnally dont like.

But what if you could spectate other nearby players by using a watchtower, TAB could be used to spectate the next person, you could see their name and leave the tower by left clicking anywhere to move.

It would have a limited range but enough to lookout for any suspicious activity and people aproaching town.

Bonus: entering the watchtower with a bow or long range weapon would make you not spectate but allow to shoot over walls. (or it could be an other structure like a guard tower.)

#2 2019-05-17 10:15:58

Spoonwood

Re: [Invasions and griefing] Watchtower to spectate nearby players .

Fat chance that Jason implements something like a watchtower.  He's just undluly arrogant enough about his game design in general to see flaws like that or care about them.  He'll probably think something pestering, annoying, and disturbing like fire grefing ends up 'interesting', and doesn't seem to realize interest has to be positive, not negative.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2019-05-17 15:19:30

Sukallinen

@Spoonwood I see no value in your comment.

(TL;DR: my observations for changes lately) I agree changes in game should add to happy gaming experience for most people. If Jason is so tired he thinks players insult HIM not game policy, take two weeks vacation and be back refreshed ! Give keys (not programming, but upkeep) to someone if possible. Everyone needs vacation every now and then.

It may just be the loudest emailers/such are griefers, or the whole meaning of a change in some game mechanics escapes Jason since it's typed in "wrong" way in suggestions... Nah I give too much credit to griefers, most aren't smart enough. Griefing is just easier way to enjoy game since they think it's hard to learn/wrong/impossible to ask for teaching ! Ask, I'm happy to teach some little things I know. Usually 2-4 ppl at a time.

I've noticed major change: I think because of warswords+speech+heavy resource depletion due to towns being near eachother:

Much less care about kids/other people (in many ways). I've been killed 1yo, nobody nearby cared. It was rare earlier. People also don't build anything, unless born to bit more advanced town they don't even try to advance. They die, kill or grief. Just my experience, I used to live long, teach, improve town and people.

Now when doing that I get (an example) brother or someone stating "i/will/kill/you" or such useless. Should do it, not talk about it (like this brother of mine told, I picked up my knife said "I've no time for you, big brother, come at me with your knife drawn when you want to die" - saw him with same knife still in his backpack for 20 years but he didn't pester me ever again. One of the few lives I got older than 3yo since one doesn't get fed. Another game we also had town protector, showed her to seedbank I had nearby (somebody picked all carrots, went to get some, also dryplanted three sis).

What's odd, lots of newbies now (or griefers)-but when I teach they see it, hang nearby, I go say come closer, learn, I'll ask you next what you want to learn.
Why is it so hard for people to ask for help in this game ? Probably get killed in another games for that. But odd, I see more newbies now than few weeks ago.

Last edited by Sukallinen (2019-05-17 15:24:00)

#4 2019-05-17 15:23:40

FeignedSanity

Spoonwood wrote:

Fat chance that Jason implements something like a watchtower.  He's just undluly arrogant enough about his game design in general to see flaws like that or care about them.  He'll probably think something pestering, annoying, and disturbing like fire grefing ends up 'interesting', and doesn't seem to realize interest has to be positive, not negative.

You usually strike me as the arrogant one, if I'm being frank. Also, something doesn't have to be positive to be interesting. You know, if you eat nothing but sweets, you start to lose the flavor and it becomes meaningless.

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#5 2019-05-17 16:13:48

Dodge

Spoonwood wrote:

You didn't talk about the subject of the topic at all and just wasted space to flame jason (again).

And oh the ironie saying that he is arrogant.

As a reminder this is the definition:

"arrogant
/ˈarəɡ(ə)nt/
adjective
having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities."

You think your opinion is SO important that you just post something totally unrelated to the topic because you think people will care.

We get it you dont like the new update or parts of it, now that i think about it wasn't it the same for temperature overall?

And now look where it's at, of course it wasn't right the first or second week but over time it got better and now the game without it would just be much worse.

Board footer