One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-01 09:58:10

bobbob

So has anyone else found themselves doing the same jobs?

I hope this is relevant as this is my first post, but I, myself, have noticed that because of the time constraint, I find myself consistently doing the same jobs for the community over and over again. This is mostly due to the lack of direction in the beginning when I'm told mostly "do whatever" which in theory is great, because its a game, don't dictate things because you will end up being disappointed in the end. But for me, I'm just joining, I don't know what the needs of the community are. I can hunt, I'm a great baker, I can explore, and I'm still working on smithing (either I spawn into a community that isn't ready, or its already done, so I won't waste resources just so I learn the process). Most of the time I find myself as the community baker, which is cool. I feel making pies in mass production springboards the community, even if for my generation and the next, just on food allowance.  But I feel if there was some sort of tech tree visible I'd explore more areas confidently. I say that in terms of I try to apply each life to do something beneficial for my community, whether it be make 100 rabbit pies, or travel half my life with a cart to come back with 3 seal skin coats. If I leave the community better than I entered, I win. But in short, who else is repetitive jobs, and any suggestions on how to break up the monotony?

#2 2018-04-01 10:54:08

Siolfor the Jackal

Re: So has anyone else found themselves doing the same jobs?

I understand, I end up farming carrots a lot because I notice over time it gets neglected and messy. So I step in to help or fix it to keep it going.
Sometimes when a camp is functioning well, I will just wander around and see what isn't being done. Everyone naked? I'll start trapping rabbits and making clothes. etc.
I often tell my children to do whatever they like, sometimes I ask what they are good at. I often don't know what the camp needs as a mother, because I'm usually busy rearing children so I'm not paying attention.

#3 2018-04-01 11:23:14

yvanhooe

I usually start by exploring a bit, water a few carrot plots if needed and check the food reserves. If the camp has the necessary tools, and I can get my hand on a backpack, I take 4 carrots or a pie and go build a road.

Now people know it but at one point I was making a fire and explaining to keep babies close to it to keep warm. If people are too naked, I make clothes. It may involve helping set up the milkweed production.

#4 2018-04-01 11:34:57

bobbob

I totally get what you guys are saying, and it further proves my point that its hard to communicate needs even as an adult. Maybe a makeable sign that can be "written" on with what jobs need done would be good, our creator could even have the fun of making it grandparents only or something to make an added challenge. I have found myself a new job in the mean time, seal hunter, I feel sort of bad since clubbing seals was a bad thing in the 90s, but supplying my family with the warmest clothing fills me up inside. I now average 3 a lifetime fully made as long as i don't have to traverse half a lifetime to find arctic land.

#5 2018-04-01 11:37:48

Laura

When i was born i try to make this:

- first help farming, bc of fast starving. I am near the carrots and help to prevent messy farming.
- when i get older i get water and help
- then i have to look what the city needs: compost? Karts? Clothing?
-> When someone else is doing this i ask for help.

And when i see new stuff i watch them and ask if they can teach me so that i can do this by myself
and teach others smile

#6 2018-04-01 12:03:46

bobbob

Yes, but laura, you are sort of proving my point, we are all sort of set in our ways. Which is cool if you like it, if you just want to farm, farm away. But me, I want to further society. I want to maybe be the first player with a flying car, I'm sure I won't be, but that's the challenge I take. More or less, I feel like we are stuck in a dark age because we have found sustainability, but aren't furthering society anymore.

#7 2018-04-01 12:17:12

Nubbcakes

bobbob wrote:

Yes, but laura, you are sort of proving my point, we are all sort of set in our ways. Which is cool if you like it, if you just want to farm, farm away. But me, I want to further society. I want to maybe be the first player with a flying car, I'm sure I won't be, but that's the challenge I take. More or less, I feel like we are stuck in a dark age because we have found sustainability, but aren't furthering society anymore.

The main issue is that the game is still in its early days and the ability to make tools and what not is about as far as it goes right now, as more content is added, you will be able to help society progress further.

#8 2018-04-01 12:45:57

Rebel

Berry and milk farms are constantly getting destroyed by nubs, I built a lovely 7x4 berry farm with a 7x7 milk farm next to it, the next day joined the same village only to notice the farms were near destroyed so I remake it, I do this all the bloody tell and so some reason, berry and milk farms don't last longer than a few generations of people. I have also noticed that farms in settlements move alot, also people like to build loads and loads of storage rooms when the old storage rooms run out of stock. The lack of communication between a village dying and a new eve really screws with civs getting anywhere and me having to repeat things I thought were done.

#9 2018-04-01 15:16:54

Baker

With the recent addition of horses, I hope that all explorers looking for exotic and rare resources don't have to spend the majority of there lives to trudge through bear-infested lands to find what are looking for.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#10 2018-04-01 17:29:21

Laura

bobbob wrote:

Honey, that´s why i farm so much and help smile
I like to watch others who want to explore and i can help them not starve
when i farm and give them karts or clothes <3

I am Robin, not Batman <3

#11 2018-04-01 22:20:15

Aname

i refuse doing the same job over and over again because then its getting boring. i rather die then i farm every life.

Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4082492

#12 2018-04-01 22:37:46

Xuhybrid

bobbob wrote:

The problem is, there are only so many jobs or tasks that need doing, given the current tech tree. If you are born into an advanced area, you can make compost, farm and make pies. Most people will have clothing. There's already a milkweed farm. There are plenty of tools. What i think is important now is to wait for more advanced things and horse's seem like a good step.

#13 2018-04-01 23:10:46

masamune0

That's true I'm still surprised that the berries/milk farm are always destroyed in the end.

That's the sad part of this game, you can make a nice city running (lot of food... nice farm and so on) but it doesn't matter because in the end, it will be always destroyed... That's the thing that made me not attached to any city anymore, at the beginning I will do what is best for the city, now, not as much.

At the beginning I was always doing the same job, but I enjoyed it (farm hype), but I was also doing other small things (like in a life, I will learn how to make a fire, another life how to make compost and so on), then realized farm is not that important, clothes are too so I will do clothes... And after a while you will start doing other jobs, and repeat them, then you will master them, do other things..and so on until you have discovered everything and then rip.

#14 2018-04-02 00:07:35

Lexyvil

Every new life, I try to do and master whatever recent thing I learned in the previous life. My first time playing, I adapted to farming and its functions. My second life, I slowly moved towards how to make compost. The life after that, I found out how to make pies. After that, how to become a good trapper and make clothes.

It becomes easier after each good life, as you try to balance all of the game's aspects out once you know mostly everything.

Last edited by Lexyvil (2018-04-02 00:31:32)

#15 2018-04-02 03:09:27

lesslucid

I think I basically make a decision between two options: 

a) Is the community I find myself in direly needing something? (More food, more clothes, more soil?) Then make that. 

b) If not, focus on learning something new or making something I've never made before. I know in theory how to make blue or red clothing, for example, but I've never actually done it. So, if the chance comes up, that's something I'd like to aim for...

#16 2018-04-02 04:10:53

TrustyWay

Every game my job is to tell people what do and dont do, so annoying to repeat all the time ''DONT PICK FROM BERRY BUSH'' ''STOP, TOP ARE SEEDS'' I mean, all the time.

I try to achive at least five goals each game,
- Get a knife even if I dont use it, people dont fuck with knife holders
- Make myself a crown to be over everyone
- Find nearby villages
- Give goals to new generations, mainly roads, speard family or funny things that go through my mind.
- Learn new crafts

#17 2018-04-02 05:39:49

Sakkiyn

It is the nature of a survival game at times.

When I spawn if I am not clothed my first priority when I am old enough is to get dressed and not be a drain on the food source. However to do so I must take a basket of carrots with me. I try and locate some wild berries to live off while I snare rabbits. 90% of the time in any decent civ there are many snares in the rabbit locations.

Once I am dressed I decide what to do. Good communities are fun to help, bad ones I just leave and set up camp elsewhere so my work is not wasted on fools and freeloaders.

I have yet to master smithing because to do so requires many other factors. And in big cities and towns I have seen 3 or 4 others trying to smith (knives no doubt) and one time just after the horse update where Jason made it so we "need" knives (a slap to the face of those who whine about knives being unneeded ...Dev 1 Whiners 0) some loud mouth idiot decided to destroy all the iron so no one could make a knife, rip the dream of riding a horse. Later someone did get a horse up and running so I took it for a short ride before replacing it where I found it, but it was an exhilarating experience I hope to repeat one day soon, Pony Express anyone?

Board footer