One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-16 19:01:37

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I was born as the baby of a stuck Eve

I guess we need to dream up a quick fix for this before the update today...

#2 2019-05-16 19:07:29

futurebird

Re: I was born as the baby of a stuck Eve

Talk about capturing the boss mob. LOL.
You'll think of something, Jason.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#3 2019-05-16 19:10:54

Left4twenty

Eves spawn with a kind of no clip, long enough that they either can cross a fence, or the fences area is garanteed to be survivable

Be strong.
Mother loves you.

#4 2019-05-16 19:12:47

futurebird

That could help Left, but Eve's could still get spawn-camped and killed which isn't so great.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#5 2019-05-16 19:14:18

Left4twenty

Legitimately who has the time for all this?  Youre wasting your own time and jasons time lol

Be strong.
Mother loves you.

#6 2019-05-16 19:21:14

Jk Howling

-Make springs provide enough water for an eve camp to get off the ground, before digging it into a well. Automatic "bootstrap" capabilities, with enough to last for at least the initial farm [I'd say 15~ uses before drying up, with no chance to renew the water]. This reduces the current requirement that Eve camps must be set up near a swamp.

-Make springs only spawn in grassland biomes. There's literally no way to make grassland biomes not necessary for an eve camp's survival. Not without pushing everything that spawns there [soil, milkweed, berry bushes, branch trees, saplings, etc.] spawn in every biome a spring can spawn in. This increases the viability for each spring, giving every one at least a chance at being a home.

-Perhaps, if its possible, Property Fences collapse whenever another eve spawns within x blocks of them? I'm not sure if that's possible in terms of programming.

-Has ascended to better games-

#7 2019-05-16 19:25:08

Tarr
Banned

I mean the good news is I thought this up in the middle of the day instead of the middle of the night.

fug it’s Tarr.

#8 2019-05-16 19:38:28

Booklat1

Jk Howling wrote:

-Make springs only spawn in grassland biomes. There's literally no way to make grassland biomes not necessary for an eve camp's survival. Not without pushing everything that spawns there [soil, milkweed, berry bushes, branch trees, saplings, etc.] spawn in every biome a spring can spawn in. This increases the viability for each spring, giving every one at least a chance at being a home.

I mean, we just need rope and branches to spawn elsewhere

#9 2019-05-16 19:44:50

Jk Howling

Booklat1 wrote:
Jk Howling wrote:

And soil, at the very least. An early civ literally cannot survive without soil, and a vast majority want it close enough that you don't have to spend 5 minutes running abck and forth per basket.

Saplings are necessary for early planting if you don't have enough milkweed for a stone hoe [which is a waste anyways when there's saplings nearby]. Berry bushes are necessary for the seeds to plant your own. Though I suppose it wouldn't be nearly as bad as it would be with soil, which you need to run back and forth for repeatedly..

-Has ascended to better games-

#10 2019-05-16 19:56:08

Dodge

Eve's spawn 20-30 tiles away from spring in a random direction but with the home marker pointing at the spring?

#11 2019-05-16 20:06:01

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, dodge, that would work great.

Also, there's still something not quite right about the way this is working... I walked for a long time in the last life without finding any towns.

I think the Eves should be spawning around active settlements.

#12 2019-05-16 20:12:53

Booklat1

Jk Howling wrote:
Booklat1 wrote:
Jk Howling wrote:

And soil, at the very least. An early civ literally cannot survive without soil, and a vast majority want it close enough that you don't have to spend 5 minutes running abck and forth per basket.

Saplings are necessary for early planting if you don't have enough milkweed for a stone hoe [which is a waste anyways when there's saplings nearby]. Berry bushes are necessary for the seeds to plant your own. Though I suppose it wouldn't be nearly as bad as it would be with soil, which you need to run back and forth for repeatedly..

i'd argue that with sheep you can skip soil but that takes berries.

As far as seeds go a village could do well for a while with popcorn/bread/carrots/pies

so ill say rope, branches, soil and water must be somewhat widespread

#13 2019-05-16 20:23:04

Cox

Im not sure if this is the solution, but Eves should appear near natural springs with higher probability if it is spring which never spawned Eve and lower if it spawned twice even more lower if it spawned three times and so on.
You have list of all natural spring who already produced Eve.
First roll ( lets say 80% if noone spawned here and 20% if somone spawned here, dimnished  even more when somespawned there even more times)
Lets say it chooses for you place where eve already spawned 3 times  and you get random spring from list mentioned above.
Listed locations can be removed from list after long time.

Im not programmer i dont know if it is even possible.
Point out some patology if you see in my thinking.

Edit: some player activity in nearby areas can be tied to this.

Last edited by Cox (2019-05-16 20:36:22)

My english sucks.
JASON PLZ

#14 2019-05-16 20:46:31

BladeWoods

If more than X non-natural walk-blocking objects are within Y tiles of a spring, don't spawn eves there.

#15 2019-05-16 20:50:25

Tarr
Banned

BladeWoods wrote:

If more than X non-natural walk-blocking objects are within Y tiles of a spring, don't spawn eves there.

Eve would end up spawning behind a bunch of maple trees instead.

I think Eves need to spawn somewhere that isn't easy to guess or the springs need a cooldown on them to prevent Eves getting stuck in prison.

fug it’s Tarr.

#16 2019-05-16 21:27:12

CatX

If Eves spawn further away, as before, and road building is quicker and cheaper, as someone suggested, the result will probably be meaningful interaction between towns. Road building is fun.

#17 2019-05-16 21:34:07

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Road building is not the problem here.

How do you build a road if you can't find a destination for your road in the first place?

If towns are 1000 tiles apart, and you know where to look, that's fine.  It's a 4 minute walk.  Build a road, and it's more like a 2-minute walk.  Car+road makes it a 1-minute trip or something.

But if towns are 1000 tiles apart, you will never find another town in the first place.  If you pick a direction and walk, by the time you get 1000 tiles away, you are on the rim of a circle that has a radius of 250,000 tiles.  If there's a town or two somewhere on that rim, but you pick the wrong direction to walk, you're never finding it.  Walking the entire rim of the circle would take 17 hours.

So, the only way for this to work is for towns to be closer together, and also, hopefully, somewhat regularly positioned, so you know which directions to try walking.

#18 2019-05-16 21:45:34

CatX

jasonrohrer wrote:

How do you build a road if you can't find a destination for your road in the first place?

Well... since we already have magic in the game (magic swords, magic apocalypse), how about having magic swallows that once in a while fly across the screen in the direction of a large town?

In the real world, if you are miles away from a city, you might still see it in the distance. Or if you can't see houses, you might see smoke... light in the darkness... It wouldn't be immersion breaking if the game offered hints.

Last edited by CatX (2019-05-16 21:46:17)

#19 2019-05-16 21:46:27

BladeWoods

Tarr wrote:
BladeWoods wrote:

Eve would end up spawning behind a bunch of maple trees instead.

I think Eves need to spawn somewhere that isn't easy to guess or the springs need a cooldown on them to prevent Eves getting stuck in prison.

Good point, might not be a big deal, trees are hard to grow and take a long time. But it should be possible to distinguish natural-natural objects from player-natural objects. Just check if the possible-to-craft natural object was on the untouched generated map around the spring. Shouldn't need to check things like rocks or bear caves that can't be crafted.

I think Dodge's random distance suggestion is good and easy but would be even better combined with my suggestion. Spawn up to 30 tiles in a random direction from the spring, and do a few checks for non-natural walk-blocking objects around that point.

#20 2019-05-17 03:31:37

w0wma

maybe making all biomes somewhat livable by adding more food (specifically around and close to springs.) if possible.

#21 2019-05-17 03:39:12

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

If towns are 1000 tiles apart, and you know where to look, that's fine.  It's a 4 minute walk.  Build a road, and it's more like a 2-minute walk.  Car+road makes it a 1-minute trip or something.

But if towns are 1000 tiles apart, you will never find another town in the first place.  If you pick a direction and walk, by the time you get 1000 tiles away, you are on the rim of a circle that has a radius of 250,000 tiles.  If there's a town or two somewhere on that rim, but you pick the wrong direction to walk, you're never finding it.  Walking the entire rim of the circle would take 17 hours.

So, the only way for this to work is for towns to be closer together, and also, hopefully, somewhat regularly positioned, so you know which directions to try walking.

It's not necessarily the town that needs found.  A town would need found first and a road build between the towns.  But, then someone can find the road and build to there.  I know this, because the first time I connected to the pre-wipe server12 road network, I did NOT connect to another town.  I connected to a branch of a road that went between two existing towns.

Road building is VERY VERY slow Jason.  I've spent dozens of hours building roads on the pre-wipe server12.  The vast majority of that time has involved collecting flat rocks using a horsecart.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer