One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-16 03:05:11

spurofthemoment

The Touching Life of Firdaws V

The Sad Tale of Firdaws V*

I was born a man, Firdaws V, into a large walled town that alarmed me at first due to reports of slavery. However, during my life I neither encountered a slave nor became a slave, so I guess that practice died out shortly after I was born, and anyway that's not what this story's about. After wandering a bit trying to find my purpose (and trying not to starve, since for some reason there was no food in this huge, rather developed town other than berries), I finally found a home in the town's bakery, which was in need of someone to run it. I discovered some wheat in the south part of town, some butchered sheep, and some abandoned skinned rabbits, and set about fulfilling my destiny.

On the way back from gathering wheat, I noticed a wedding in progress. I almost didn't stop, since I was busy and my hunger was getting low, but sentiment won over practicality and I paused to witness the happy couple. Or so I thought...perhaps I should not have stopped at all, for shortly after I arrived, the man (whose name I sadly do not recall) refused to promise himself to his wife on the grounds that he was in love with me! I was astonished and touched, but I did not recall ever meeting this person before, and this sudden reversal of his feelings seemed a bit unbalanced to me. Besides, I had a bakery to run. So I told him that I supported his feelings, but sadly could not return them, on the grounds that pies last longer than love. (I'm not sure if this is true, but it seemed an apt thing to say at the moment.)

My rejection sent this man into a rage, and he accused me of loving pies more than him and declared he hated me. When I did not recant my earlier determination to devote myself entirely to my bakery, he fell into despair and declared he would end it all. Despite my protestations, he died in front of me, I being too shortsighted to realize he meant to starve to death then and there.

Overwhelmed with emotion, I returned to the bakery, where the impact of what had happened distracted me.** I would pick up the wrong items and set them down, only to pick them up again, meanwhile explaining in a daze what had happened to any poor souls who happened to enter the bakery during that dark time. Thankfully, by this point I and my coworkers had prepared enough food that my state of shock did not put the town in danger. I tried to elicit a self-proclaimed doctor to be my therapist, but he ran away...perhaps he was simply named Doctor, after all. I monologued to a goose trapped inside the bakery.

Fortunately, my mother paid me a visit and comforted me, assuring me that what had transpired was not my fault, although I continued to blame myself against reason for the rest of my life. She told me she hoped I would find the man of my dreams, and lamented that she never found the woman of her dreams herself. Thus encouraging me, she died by the hearth and I buried her outside the bakery. Further saddened by her death, I nonetheless pulled myself together and began making as many pies as I could, determined to devote myself to my purpose and dream -- my bakery -- as long as I lived.

Eventually I grew old, and bequeathed the bakery to a lovely young woman named Lilygrace. I gave my backpack and my wolf hat to two young children in the town square, who patiently listened to me lecture them on the importance of following their dreams. I asked them to bury me near the bakery, and even managed to tell them to take care before I finally died of old age.***

*The language I use in this story is frankly ridiculous and I thank you all for putting up with it...lol
**This part wasn't actually roleplaying...I was pretty floored irl and it took me a few minutes to pull myself back together.
***This life was almost ridiculously dramatic, but without a doubt was one of my favorite lives so far. That's the fun of big towns, I guess...it's a lot easier for drama like this to occur without killing anyone or anything through negligence. It's pretty rare for me to feel this kind of emotional connection with a life, and I absolutely love it when it happens. I hope the kids are alright and the bakery lives on.

Last edited by spurofthemoment (2019-05-16 03:22:17)

My name's Ash. And yes, I want to be the very best, like no one ever was.

And no, I've never played Pokemon. It just...kinda happened that way.

Board footer