One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-14 14:06:37

Wuatduhf

Suggestion: Impassable Terrain? (Mountain regions, contiguous rivers)

Now that macro-scale conflict is being pushed slowly into the game through Swords, and families are even closer than ever, I believe we need further changes to map terrain.

The spring coordinate system has changed how Eves spawn, and made an orderly 'fault line' spaced out across the map. I believe with the new proximity, we could maybe start to see the generation of mountains and rivers for long-term map shaping and strategic village placement. Both mountains and rivers could be naturally impassable, such that raiding attempts would be limited from those directions unless improved upon with advanced technology.

Mountains

Mountains would both be a cold biome, and also guaranteed a 100% chance to have a physical 'mountain' tile on top of them. The only way to interact w/ them is to 'mine' them with pickaxes to dig through to the other side(s).

Bonus: Let mountain tiles roll in the background to change into iron deposits after their base form is mined by a pickaxe.

Bonus 2: Mountains block vision of tiles beyond itself and where the player is located (might be server intensive for checking the render distance per click)

Rivers

Contiguous rivers could be thing, and block off entire segments of the map from crossing. The only way to get over them would be to construct a bridge over one of the river's blocks. The bridge could be sabotaged in the immediate timeframe after being constructed (just like property fences) in case a village is trying to prevent people from crossing. Just like other buildings, it would be subject to decay over a long stretch of time, and would be destroyed if not maintained.

Bonus: To prevent debate over using river water for crops, rivers could just be a source of saltwater, and a 'dumping ground' for emptying bowls of ____.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Wuatduhf (2019-05-14 14:11:59)

#2 2019-05-14 14:43:52

lychee

Re: Suggestion: Impassable Terrain? (Mountain regions, contiguous rivers)

Love both of these ideas.

Just anything to make the map less uniform and more interesting would be nice.

#3 2019-05-14 20:10:11

Booklat1

Re: Suggestion: Impassable Terrain? (Mountain regions, contiguous rivers)

I like this waaay better than languages

Board footer