One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-14 18:52:16

spurofthemoment

Language Learning Is Progressing!

So I was born into a languishing town and died of starvation early on while searching for carrot seeds. A few short lives later, I got born back into the same town as Ania Hawk, and discovered to my surprise that in just a short time the people in it had really turned stuff around...the place was really thriving. I also discovered that several foreigners had moved in and were making bold attempts to learn our language! Apparently there had been a griefer attack at some point (I usually just run away from murders so as not to get tied up in them, so I'm not sure what happened) and the foreigners had left notes around town begging people to stop and I guess to clear their names in future generations should they have been wrongly killed. Thankfully, they all seemed to have lived, and by the time everything had cooled down, little dictionary notes had popped up around town. By the time I died, they were going around saying things like "peace," "love," "hi baby," and "sorry, I no understand."

In previous lives when I'd run into foreigners, the boldest attempt at communication I'd seen was a guy who kept dropping his family sword in front of us and saying the same thing over and over...I think it must have been "kill me," because after we ignored the sword several times and tried to talk to him he just ran into the woods to starve. I guess he got lost or something. So it was really cool to see this much less violent/depressing take on language learning!

I'm still waiting for the life where I'm born into a town where I speak the non-dominant language so I get to do this translation stuff...either that or get born a guy into a town full of resources so I can travel...it looks like fun.

My name's Ash. And yes, I want to be the very best, like no one ever was.

And no, I've never played Pokemon. It just...kinda happened that way.

#2 2019-05-14 19:47:40

paulof

Re: Language Learning Is Progressing!

LOL, it was me.

I found a paper with useful words like "yes", "no", "me", "you", so i decided to make more, because i wanted to say "sorry, i dont understand". Then i made many papers with words i wanted to say, like "understand", and asked people to read it for me so i printed and used as a dicitionary. Now you said i forgot to learn how to say "don't", then i said "dishu, e vi ollalnell" which means "sorry, i no understand"

Now i know a language that doesnt even exist LOL

#3 2019-05-14 19:49:13

spurofthemoment

Re: Language Learning Is Progressing!

lol, soon we will be fluent in multiple nonexistent dialects...just wait til the Duolingo course drops xD

My name's Ash. And yes, I want to be the very best, like no one ever was.

And no, I've never played Pokemon. It just...kinda happened that way.

Board footer