One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-14 15:50:00

OminousBladeBlank

Jason Made My Playstyle Meta - WARMONGER META

Hey community.

Through your tears as you realize Jason wants a griefey flavor to his game, also realize my warring ways are accepted by him. I don't care much about the people in this community who complain about griefers. Jason wants it to happen, and I fully embrace that. If anything now, I'd say griefing is highly deterred. You can destroy entire cities now and risk no repercussions. You just need to be from a different line.

Hell, you can't even speak to other lines anymore! People have posted casually about being born to cities where everyone spoke some odd language... Yes, you can no longer speak to people outside your family. You cannot easily coordinate with people unless you are in the same line.

So I show up to a city that's slightly more advanced than my own. However, it has fewer people. Remember new spawning rules? In rather predictable increments, you can find eve spawn locations with prospective settlements. You can find camps or cities in these areas, but often surrounding settlements will be a similar tech level. I stand around for a bit smiling, eating berries and helping them plant. Mind you, I had a crown as I had succumbed to vanity when I saw a gold deposit.

I had a daughter there, was asked many questions I could not answer due to gibber-language update. I said little except to my daughter whom I ultimately left there to return to the village I ruled (I was really just a public facing figure since I was hardly ever home).

My village had no roller, so we had no swords. However, we had one bow and a few arrows. The town I was scoping out had at least one knife. A bow. No roller either so no swords.

When I returned, I coordinated a raid with three individuals and two carts. The plan was to take as much value as we could with what we had. Prioritize pies and steel, tools are good too. I explain that we won't understand them and vice versa due to the update to the raid party.

We roll up. We are the blackest skin and the town is made up of individuals of the whitest skin. It's obvious that we are not from there, so we don't try to hide it. I still have on my crown. We literally just start loading up on tools, and eating food. We got two baskets of pies if I recall correctly. We mostly picked up tools.

Then, midway through, one of their men returns with a cart of iron and a few steel.

We pick it up as he tries to unload it, and run home with 7 or so tools, including a file and smithing hammer, a basket of arrows, two baskets of pies, and a cart or so of tools. On top of that, a cart of iron from a mine, I presume due to the volume. We netted all that loot plus an extra cart!

The whole time, the authority figures were asking all sorts of questions and negative emoting. They tried to agress on us as we left, but we bolted as they tried so nothing came of it and we ultimately weren't followed.

We returned home which was about a 1 - 1.5 minute run northwest that was probably just about long enough to be too difficult to stumble upon by chance. I originally found it when I was running far to scout for milkweed and started following signs of activity (soil pits, clay pits, berries, sharp stones, etc.).

Once home, I found my daughter who I'd left in the town I had scouted. She had a home marker on us. We briefly spoke. She was happy she was a place where she could be understood and held no animosity whatsoever towards me for abandoning her there or for stealing from her adopted parents (they cared for her). She was offput by the white people's odd language. In fact, when the village I was born in decided it would be safest to return with our weapons and wipe out the enemy town's occupants, my daughter joined the 4 man ranks as our designated feeder. Then it was me shotcalling, a bowman, and a looter.

We knew they had only two weapons: a bow and a knife. The plan was to loot the bow before they can draw it (it was sitting at the edge of town) as we shoot their knife-holder. We spam the body for the knife while waiting for the bow cooldown, and then wipe out their fertile population. We knew they had two fertile women at least.

We make the 1-1.5 minute run from our village to their town.

It could have gotten messy if they had prepared for us. They planned not. Our plan works very well, and when we are done, there are no more of the Pu family. I dug for their line, and this is the line we ended.

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4449065

This was me.

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4449065

Thanks jason, that game was so satisfying for me and my whole village. We returned, feasted upon our plunder, and told stories of the great battle of Pu where our tactics and cunning led us to a swift victory.

We had literally no incentive to cooperate. The best case scenario for us, if we favor any interaction at all (you always should battle, it's a very unique experience in the game) it would have needed to be a battle. Sure, say we could have become cooperative through some unspoken alliance, but I don't believe you. They were in the way of my family surviving better, and it was easier to wipe them out and take their stuff than it was to try and translate the terms of an agreement to them.

What is an ominous blade blank?

It's that blade blank next to the file and short staff you see in a naked toddler's basket.

#2 2019-05-14 16:04:35

Ari-ori-412

Re: Jason Made My Playstyle Meta - WARMONGER META

If this is what jason wants ill happily go to war thanks for the inspiration dude.

Stop eating berries adults! go eat the pie or stew right next to you.

#3 2019-05-14 16:11:02

lychee

I tried pretty hard to make a hypothetical trade scenario, but no matter how I flipped it in my head, it was always easier to just steal if you wanted something.

There's nothing even reasonable to trade, which is the other thing.

Charity isn't the same as trade.

#4 2019-05-14 16:14:10

Ari-ori-412

lychee wrote:

I tried pretty hard to make a hypothetical trade scenario, but no matter how I flipped it in my head, it was always easier to just steal if you wanted something.

There's nothing even reasonable to trade, which is the other thing.

Charity isn't the same as trade.

and if you have zoom mod you can just yoink some iron when no one is looking this is even easier if you have the same skin tone as the rest of the village.

Stop eating berries adults! go eat the pie or stew right next to you.

#5 2019-05-14 16:55:37

MultiLife

Meanwhile a nice bunch of Pu family members consider dropping the game, and playing something where their "building blocks are not kicked down" by other players.

Sheep being forced to play with wolves end with dead sheep, and then dead wolves.

I know I will quit if this becomes "meta". You guys can keep this meta, I have better games to go for. I will see how long it flies when sheep say "enough".

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#6 2019-05-14 17:01:53

lychee

For me personally, I think a lot of the problems here could be addressed by simply changing all the PvP to PvE.

All this stuff about fences, walls, if Jason wants them, it's easy enough to do the Dwarf Fortress/Rimworld/Don't Starve thing where you have hounds and other NPCs that start attacking a settlement with increased frequency as the settlement gets larger.

People won't blame NPCs for griefing -- and instead the community has a strong motivation to figure out ways to deal with threats, confront them, etc.

The outcome is about the same if Jason desires this kind of fence/battle/thrill mechanic.

#7 2019-05-14 17:15:44

futurebird

Well at least you are doing what you have been encouraged to do.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#8 2019-05-14 17:18:14

Dodge

That's going to happen a lot more until people realise they have to lock the valuables now tongue

#9 2019-05-14 19:28:14

Spoonwood

lychee wrote:

For me personally, I think a lot of the problems here could be addressed by simply changing all the PvP to PvE.

All this stuff about fences, walls, if Jason wants them, it's easy enough to do the Dwarf Fortress/Rimworld/Don't Starve thing where you have hounds and other NPCs that start attacking a settlement with increased frequency as the settlement gets larger.

People won't blame NPCs for griefing -- and instead the community has a strong motivation to figure out ways to deal with threats, confront them, etc.

The outcome is about the same if Jason desires this kind of fence/battle/thrill mechanic.

I agree with this and would find it much more enjoyable.  Probably more Oxygen Not Included style than Rimworld style where you have to keep firing guns at raiders and mechanoids.

Anyways, really don't feel like playing again on bs2 after this latest update and posts like this.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#10 2019-05-14 19:30:18

Spoonwood

Also, it looks like the Pus survived 9 generations and your lineage survived 12.  So, I'm not so sure that your playstyle as meta has all that much to back it up.... unless people resettled that spot and then did much better afterwards.

Danish Clinch.

#11 2019-05-14 21:53:36

Solbusaur

This is the coolest fucking story I've read all year. Bravo

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#12 2019-05-14 21:58:56

Solbusaur

However I don't find it very fair that you wiped out the Pu's last women. You should have left them alive at least, so the Pu family can still get back on their feet. You would've been safe too, as the children would most likely not know what had happened, nor retain the stories their mothers would've told them

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)

#13 2019-05-14 22:11:11

lychee

Solbusaur wrote:

However I don't find it very fair that you wiped out the Pu's last women. You should have left them alive at least, so the Pu family can still get back on their feet. You would've been safe too, as the children would most likely not know what had happened, nor retain the stories their mothers would've told them

Well, technically there is no morality, fairness, or really anything in this game.

You can do what you want -- and that's what happens, isn't it?

#14 2019-05-14 22:27:10

Spoonwood

lychee wrote:
Solbusaur wrote:

Well, technically there is no morality, fairness, or really anything in this game.

There is the curse system and other people killing you.  So, I wouldn't quite say that.

Danish Clinch.

#15 2019-05-14 22:35:54

lychee

Spoonwood wrote:

There is the curse system and other people killing you.  So, I wouldn't quite say that.

Fair enough, although you can't curse outside of the families now. TwT

#16 2019-05-14 22:42:58

Solbusaur

lychee wrote:
Solbusaur wrote:

True, and to be honest, it did add to the story. But I guess I was showing what I would do in that situation, since I know what it's like to lose hard work

#17 2019-05-15 00:18:50

Joseph Stalin

looting and pillaging is fun as hell i'll admit and for the ogs that dont like it, you guys should coordinate to go to a smaller server instead to play like you used to

#18 2019-05-15 01:07:32

OminousBladeBlank

Solbusaur wrote:

This is the coolest fucking story I've read all year. Bravo

Thanks dude, Warmonger meta makes some good stories. A lot of yellow fever too.

It's that blade blank next to the file and short staff you see in a naked toddler's basket.

#19 2019-05-15 01:10:38

OminousBladeBlank

Joseph Stalin wrote:

looting and pillaging is fun as hell i'll admit and for the ogs that dont like it, you guys should coordinate to go to a smaller server instead to play like you used to

I get the appeal of OHOL is changing, but this guy is right. We play the way our lor d and savior jason christ desires.

#20 2019-05-15 01:11:48

DaTrüf!

+rep wont grief with me

>Me: *writes detailed post on pit bull griefing and details how to prevent it*
>Community: GRIEEEEEEEEEEEEFFFFFFFER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#21 2019-05-15 03:39:32

Baker

I admit that trade still seems impossible, I tried once to go into a foreign town with a bunch of notes but not much came of it. But I've yet to actually be raided, one time a foreigner killed our mouflon but he was stabbed and that was the end of it. Apart from that one incident people seem content to stay within their own town and occasionally look at other settlements.

There isn't really any incentive for war either, You gained some tools, food and steel bars. Nothing that couldn't have been done normally with less risk involved. In the end, you guys died out anyway.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#22 2019-05-15 06:27:02

DestinyCall

I was just in a ginger village that got wiped out by a raid.   But not the way you might imagine.     

There was a town to the south, not that far away.  Easy to reach by horse.   Some of the people in town found it and decided to go raid them.   I tried to talk them out of attacking.   We had a water shortage and the sheep pen had been griefed so we needed to work on our own town.  There was no point to attacking another village other than role-play and that's not the kind of roleplay I want to encourage.   Especially since the other town had not shown any hostility toward us and we didn't need anything from the other town other than to be left alone. 

The idiots made a bunch of swords and headed south, so I grabbed a horse cart and headed east.   I gathered iron while traveling along a fault line until my baskets were full.   I was almost ready to head back when I started having kids.    Then I noticed that I was the last female.   I guess the raid didn't go well.    I had a daughter while I tried to make my way back to town, but I foolishly let myself get separated and my daughter died in the wilderness.  I was in my late thirties when I reached the village ... now a ghost town.    I was the only one left.    The town was a mess - dead sheep, no water, no compost.   The only iron was what I brought - they used up the rest to make swords.    So I loaded the cart up with backpacks filled with iron and headed south.  I found the southern city that my people wanted to "raid".    I gave them the iron and backpacks, then made myself useful by carting around bones.

I was approached by a nice pair of gentleman who had a piece of paper with various words like Hi - BYE - FOOD - YOU - ME written on it for translating.   I would pick up the paper and say the words in my language, then they would pick it up and read the paper in their language.    Then we took turns picking up items ... Iron ... basket ... cart ...  I would say the word, then they would repeat it back.    We learned from each other and quickly built up a small vocabulary of common words.   I headed over to the bakery and helped organize the pies.  Then I was randomly stabbed by a lady with a knife.   I said Hi and Bye in their language to one of the nice men that was talking with earlier ... then died.    The lady who stabbed me was stabbed by one of the other villagers for her random act of violence.     

It wasn't my best life, but it wasn't my worst life.    I wish my people had tried to communicate instead of launching a pointless raid that doomed our lineage.

#23 2019-05-15 08:10:14

OminousBladeBlank

DaTrüf! wrote:

+rep wont grief with me

JUST finished school dude I can grief now my bad.

#24 2019-05-15 13:22:22

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

I was just in a ginger village that got wiped out by a raid.   But not the way you might imagine.     

There was a town to the south, not that far away.  Easy to reach by horse.   Some of the people in town found it and decided to go raid them.   I tried to talk them out of attacking.   We had a water shortage and the sheep pen had been griefed so we needed to work on our own town.  There was no point to attacking another village other than role-play and that's not the kind of roleplay I want to encourage.   Especially since the other town had not shown any hostility toward us and we didn't need anything from the other town other than to be left alone. 

The idiots made a bunch of swords and headed south, so I grabbed a horse cart and headed east.   I gathered iron while traveling along a fault line until my baskets were full.   I was almost ready to head back when I started having kids.    Then I noticed that I was the last female.   I guess the raid didn't go well.    I had a daughter while I tried to make my way back to town, but I foolishly let myself get separated and my daughter died in the wilderness.  I was in my late thirties when I reached the village ... now a ghost town.    I was the only one left.    The town was a mess - dead sheep, no water, no compost.   The only iron was what I brought - they used up the rest to make swords.    So I loaded the cart up with backpacks filled with iron and headed south.  I found the southern city that my people wanted to "raid".    I gave them the iron and backpacks, then made myself useful by carting around bones.

I was approached by a nice pair of gentleman who had a piece of paper with various words like Hi - BYE - FOOD - YOU - ME written on it for translating.   I would pick up the paper and say the words in my language, then they would pick it up and read the paper in their language.    Then we took turns picking up items ... Iron ... basket ... cart ...  I would say the word, then they would repeat it back.    We learned from each other and quickly built up a small vocabulary of common words.   I headed over to the bakery and helped organize the pies.  Then I was randomly stabbed by a lady with a knife.   I said Hi and Bye in their language to one of the nice men that was talking with earlier ... then died.    The lady who stabbed me was stabbed by one of the other villagers for her random act of violence.     

It wasn't my best life, but it wasn't my worst life.    I wish my people had tried to communicate instead of launching a pointless raid that doomed our lineage.

I would guess that this makes for a good example of how the new features work.  Swords just result in senseless crusades and exacerbated water problems (you can only make swords back into steel rods if you can get your hands on them) since some idiot is going to try them out.  The language barrier is challenging and thus can be a problem, but could be fun to overcome and work through with the right mindset (it's just silly in low population play with Eve chaining present, but that's another story).

Danish Clinch.

#25 2019-05-15 13:29:09

DestinyCall

I think the most annoying thing about that experience for me was trying to talk with the other villagers who were planning the raid, because they were pushing the idea that "We are gingers.  We have to attack them first or they will wipe us out."   

Oh really?    Screw that.   I'm a peaceful farming ginger.   Leave me out of your dumb wars.

Board footer