One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-14 14:35:11

Cox

Food Efficiency Ranking

6366e5db639a35fedcc62e630164ce69-full.png upload

Full Excel: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ … sp=sharing

This post has only informative aspect, if you can do any food guide, feel free to use it smile

Any toughts? Is there something suprising how good or bad particular food is?

I can try to answer questions about calculations in comments below, (i could make some mistakes).

Last edited by Cox (2019-05-14 16:12:53)

My english sucks.
JASON PLZ

#2 2019-05-14 14:46:12

lychee

Re: Food Efficiency Ranking

Is the potato iron efficiency adjusted for the update when Jason made it so that digging up potatoes don't cost shovels anymore?

#3 2019-05-14 15:01:13

Spoonwood

Potatoes don't use up shovel charges anymore.

There's no accounting for yum also.

Mango trees require a bucket of water to grow and take a while, so those numbers don't tell us much about it's viability.  Milk is viable, but not quite as viable as the numbers suggest, since you need buckets to have both whole and skim milk and most places have a problem with not having enough buckets.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2019-05-14 15:24:58

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:

There's no need to account for yum when looking at food production efficiency.   The individual player should be considering yum when selecting among available options.   First produce various good foods efficiently, then choose to eat unique foods for yum.   Since you only need 10-20 unique foods available to satisfy yum requirements for an entire village, inexpensive mass-production is more important than maximizing food diversity.   It ensures that the most people are able to eat at the least cost (time, labor, resources).

#5 2019-05-14 15:30:40

Cox

You are both right, potates dont use shovel, and mango takes full bucket of water instead of bowl. will fix
This table wasnt made to discourage people for having yum bonus just to show water/steel efficiency.
And tools used for starting getting food isnt calculated too ( no shears usage for aquiring mango saplings, spoons for icecreams, buckets for milk too)

Last edited by Cox (2019-05-14 16:21:34)

My english sucks.
JASON PLZ

#6 2019-05-14 15:31:49

FeignedSanity

Is it just me, or are there commas where there should be decimal points?

Also, what exactly is column L on the second worksheet supposed to be?

Also, just as a thought, maybe do some rounding? I'm assuming those are decimal points, so maybe round the the hundredths place or something? Would make it look a lot cleaner.

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2019-05-14 15:37:32)

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#7 2019-05-14 15:41:02

lychee

FeignedSanity wrote:

Is it just me, or are there commas where there should be decimal points?

Also, what exactly is column L on the second worksheet supposed to be?

Also, just as a thought, maybe do some rounding? I'm assuming those are decimal points, so maybe round the the hundredths place or something? Would make it look a lot cleaner.

In some countries in the world, it's common to use commas as decimal points xD

#8 2019-05-14 15:46:38

Cox

Collumn L is for my note about additional item/tool except crops. Most of the people use comma for decimal numbers, you farenheit users wink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_separator

Last edited by Cox (2019-05-14 15:47:21)

My english sucks.
JASON PLZ

#9 2019-05-14 16:13:04

Cox

Fixed

My english sucks.
JASON PLZ

#10 2019-05-14 16:43:20

FeignedSanity

lychee wrote:

In some countries in the world, it's common to use commas as decimal points xD

Really? O.O

Wow, I had no idea. That's pretty nutty. Can't see why you'd use commas as a decimal point, they already have a purpose. That just muddies the water. Are you looking at 1,594 or 1.594. Using only commas, you'd need context to tell which one.

Cox wrote:

Most of the people use comma for decimal numbers, you farenheit users

Hey, don't look down on me. I admit, you right on the metric system, but using commas for decimals is wack tongue

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#11 2019-05-14 19:37:39

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

There's no need to account for yum when looking at food production efficiency.   The individual player should be considering yum when selecting among available options.   First produce various good foods efficiently, then choose to eat unique foods for yum.

That's just not possible often enough.  You won't be getting milk in an Eve camp, or if you do, it certainly would be late in the Eve camp if cows theoretically get made before sheep (the end of an Eve camp is when there's a sheep pen and the tools to support it in my opinion).  Also, where are these milk buckets in addition to buckets needed for other things like water and rubber?  And if you don't have cows, which is better, to increase the yum of the camp now, or to go out and get rope, grow milkweed for buckets and eat up the water drain and also get the cows?  I'm not saying that a family with sheep should get some more yum immediately up over the process of getting milk up, but I don't think it's so clear cut. 

DestinyCall wrote:

It ensures that the most people are able to eat at the least cost (time, labor, resources).

Interesting that you say that.  Stew pots are cheap, I'll give you that.  But are you going to assert that buckets are cheap?  Because I'm not so sure about that.

Danish Clinch.

#12 2019-05-14 19:44:11

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

There's no need to account for yum when looking at food production efficiency.   The individual player should be considering yum when selecting among available options.   First produce various good foods efficiently, then choose to eat unique foods for yum.

That's just not possible often enough.  You won't be getting milk in an Eve camp, or if you do, it certainly would be late in the Eve camp if cows theoretically get made before sheep (the end of an Eve camp is when there's a sheep pen and the tools to support it in my opinion).  Also, where are these milk buckets in addition to buckets needed for other things like water and rubber?  And if you don't have cows, which is better, to increase the yum of the camp now, or to go out and get rope, grow milkweed for buckets and eat up the water drain and also get the cows?  I'm not saying that a family with sheep should get some more yum immediately up over the process of getting milk up, but I don't think it's so clear cut. 

DestinyCall wrote:

It ensures that the most people are able to eat at the least cost (time, labor, resources).

Interesting that you say that.  Stew pots are cheap, I'll give you that.  But are you going to assert that buckets are cheap?  Because I'm not so sure about that.

Dude ... bake some rabbit pies and relax.    It is not a choice between milk or yum foods.

#13 2019-05-14 19:50:27

Spoonwood

Also, the most efficient food with respect to resource consumption ignoring yum is the wild gooseberry bush.  No water, no steel needed, no kindling needed.  Some other food like eggs from geese ponds, cooked rabbit have no or little steel cost depending on how the kindling got made.  Same with turkey or a cooked goose from a pond, and wild foods, though those aren't renewable.  Why do these tables end up indicating milk as the most efficient food instead of those longstanding sources that don't require water in any circumstance, and only require steel if you used an axe instead of a stone hatchet to make kindling, and are renewable?

Danish Clinch.

#14 2019-05-14 20:08:35

Booklat1

yes spoon, but you also cant reset wild foods at will.

we keep saying meat pies are cheap because meat and wheat end up pilling in any city. Mutton is a freebie when you compost and rabbit fur is always needed for clothes/bags.

mutton pies, rabbit pies and bread should be easily available few gens in. Tbh, even carrot pies pre-sheep might be a good food if you're low on rabbits. The idea is that making few good foods en masse is faster and cheaper. Wild foods can be massed after a lot of gathering but few offer actual benefits for such (grinding wildberry gives food, grinding rabbits gives food + fur).

#15 2019-05-14 22:17:49

Spoonwood

There exist things like picking one berry from each bush in a cluster of bushes, or picking eggs to get regeneration started.  I don't think reduced water pressure comes as something to sneeze at these days.  People going out to get wild berries or eggs also inclines them to see either more natural springs or where the wells lie.  So that's less water pressure and more people possibly having a clue about water sources.

Danish Clinch.

Board footer