One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-14 03:46:34

BladeWoods

Sever 12 people, shall we migrate to a private server?

I'm not a big S12 player but I like it, and since Jason keeps wiping S12, a private server seems to be necessary. One that doesn't get wiped and has a backup.

Anyone capable/willing to setup and run one?
We could even mod it slightly in amazing ways, like removing language barrier and container decays for better singleplayer/small-multiplayer.

Last edited by BladeWoods (2019-05-14 03:46:54)

#2 2019-05-14 04:12:27

Greep

Re: Sever 12 people, shall we migrate to a private server?

I've already got one.  OCS has been running for like... 4 months without a reset?  It's got a few minor changes for various reasons.  Thread and discord: 
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4868.  I am going to remove the language barrier in the next update, I've just been a bit lazy (well sick actually) atm.

It's currently down for the afternoon just because there's been hotfix after hotfix and I'm just making sure there isn't another tonight.  If you didn't update steam yet you can play on it right now, though, since there won't be a client mismatch

TBH, it makes more sense to use this anyways:  because it has a small playerbase, the backups are small enough that I can always make sure the maps don't get accidentally wiped because I back it up every update.

Last edited by Greep (2019-05-14 04:13:58)

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#3 2019-05-14 04:15:08

Buggy

That would be amazing! I would join a private server like that. No language barrier and permanent baskets carts and backpacks. I want to play the game but it had been really discouraging recently with the wipes etc.

#4 2019-05-14 04:22:30

futurebird

I love One City! I've learned so much there!

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#5 2019-05-14 04:29:45

Spoonwood

I don't like the concept of OCS, no offense intended Greep, because for that everyone spawns in the same spot every life as I understand it.  It's not like Eve chaining where as long as you live to 60, you spawn back into the same spot.  Note basically everyone who played on server12 had a town, or could start one soon if they choose to do so (e. g. Stoop had an Eve spawn in LowImpact's town and tease Low about how much he died, but never built a town of his own, since I guess that wasn't his thing.)  One of the advantages of server12, I think, has been that 'random' people have joined and played with us.  People that seemingly popped up out of nowhere include Frost, RedBear, and Che, who I don't think understands English all that well... that's what Che told me once.  People had creative towns and it's sad that they no longer exist really, but I'm crying over spilled milk at this point in time, aren't I?

If someone does set up a private server, I hope we will all speak the language, as the foreign language gets silly when you know the Eve who birthed you is the same person as the next Eve, but you can't understand anything they say.  Also, I hope someone can figure out how to remove the 'short' object bug which prevents objects from spawning above 'tall' objects such as trees, tule reeds, gooseberry bushes, etc. and leads to nature in the game looking like some picked over wasteland instead of a place with an abundance of resources.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#6 2019-05-14 04:51:20

Greep

It's a big world, just make a town far out.  We've got at least one other town with an airport, a few towns along the main roads, and a few concealed ones.  I'm not trying to defend the decision, just explaining here.

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#7 2019-05-14 05:02:16

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, wipes aren't usual.

I think there've only been something like 3-4 wipes in the entire history of the game.

The wipes this week were necessary to reset all the Eve placement stuff.  I don't anticipate many more wipes in the future.

Also, I suppose I should add a way to block specific servers from wiping at all.  Really, bigserver2 is the only one that really needs it.

#8 2019-05-14 05:10:10

Grim_Arbiter

Greep's server is amazing and greep is an awesome dude. I plop in there randomly if I ever need to test something. If you find my house take a shroom for the road wink

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#9 2019-05-14 05:27:19

Spoonwood

Greep wrote:

It's a big world, just make a town far out.  We've got at least one other town with an airport, a few towns along the main roads, and a few concealed ones.  I'm not trying to defend the decision, just explaining here.

Wait... do landing strips decay on OCS?  If they don't making a town of one's own further away seems a little more viable than I thought.

Danish Clinch.

#10 2019-05-14 05:28:56

Spoonwood

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

Greep's server is amazing and greep is an awesome dude. I plop in there randomly if I ever need to test something. If you find my house take a shroom for the road wink

Thanks Grim.  I've eaten enough shrooms in OHOL (for yum mostly) and learned that I can't even manage to do something productive in my own dang town when high, that I'll pass on those. And I wouldn't blame anyone, personally, for digging up all of the soil pits to protect the children from the drugs either.  Drugs are bad mmmkay.

Danish Clinch.

#11 2019-05-14 05:31:24

Greep

Yup, landing strips do not decay on OCS.  I'd check out the discord and the list-of-changes channel, it's got everything that's different.

#12 2019-05-14 08:15:55

BladeWoods

That's great Greep, that's almost exactly what I was looking for, although there are a few changes in there that are a little questionable.

Greep Changelist:

1.Everyone spawns in one general area
2.Milkweed plants give thread instead of stalks
3.Collapsed iron mines turn into iron veins quickly
4.You start with a temporary name, and permanently gain a new one with "MY NAME IS"
5.Landing strips do not decay
6.Plastered walls cannot be chiseled
7.Some admins can be asked to destroy blocking objects
8.You can request a name change at any time by just DMing me here.  The worst that happens is I forget lol.  Your name will be erased and you can name yourself again on the next server update
9. You can be temporarily banned.  It's rare.  Don't wreck too many things without asking :wink:
Greep02/16/2019
10. baskets don't decay, although they will if stacked
11. admins can say "destroy" which will remove any objects in a small radius.  Can only be done a few times per server restart.  Current admins: waffle, smoke, thundersen, ember
12. culling is now removed.  There is no long any worry that far off sites will disappear.  I might bring it back and bump it to 5 weeks if this causes issues
Greep02/19/2019
13. base hunger is much slower as of the temperature changes recently that made clothes a requirement:  Being naked will give roughly the same hunger as it used to, although adding clothes will improve this.
Greep03/16/2019
14. players no longer give "birth" xD
15. /die works any time if used without the /.  Stupid client
16.  By saying "vogon" players can now turn on partial vog.  This sends them to vogsphere when they are reborn and thereafter until the server restarts.  Actually it's a circle, but it wouldn't be a douglas adams reference that way.

Vogsphere core is at 5000000,5000000, and is the area withing 1,000,000 tiles of that spot.  If you somehow get out of vogsphere, your abilties will cease to work.  All vog abilities except player teleport should work

typing vogoff while NOT in vogmode will send you back to xyzzy when reborn, without the ability to vog

Vog instruction manual:

Change OHOL/settings/vogModeOn.ini to 1

Shift+V = enable VOG mode
Shift + I spawn an item
arrow keys, select a tile
shift/crtl + arrow keys, jump a few tiles more
17. planes do not function in vogsphere
18. planes do not function if going to vogsphere (they crash)
Greep04/20/2019
19. bumped property fence/gate approval times from 3 to 3,000 minutes

Board footer