One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-13 14:11:00

Toxic
Banned

Why do you hate griefers?

Just list me the stuff.
If a griefer changed would you forgive him or would he be marked for life He/She.

#2 2019-05-13 14:19:10

lychee

Re: Why do you hate griefers?

I dislike "trolling" behavior in general.

It's easy to develop first impressions of people, and people who take enjoyment out of other people's frustrations/miseries just usually aren't the type of people I like to spend my time around.

That said -- first impressions are first impressions -- and sometimes I might get to know someone better and have a more nuanced opinion, but it's an uphill battle if I've already developed a first impression.

Last edited by lychee (2019-05-13 14:24:05)

#3 2019-05-13 14:21:57

futurebird

Because they hate me and have no respect for me.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#4 2019-05-13 14:33:23

Tarr
Banned

If you actually wanted to rejoin the community you'd make a new forum account + discord account and not act like yourself. The only person anyone has ever forgiven for being an asshat is Killian who while liked to do shitty things occasionally was overall a positive person to have around. You keep rejoining the discord with new alts, proceed to fanboy yourself and then give it away that it's you for the seventh time.

You're absolutely ruined your reputation so there's no other option than remaking and acting like a mature human being instead of the shit you constantly pull.

fug it’s Tarr.

#5 2019-05-13 15:00:27

MultiLife

Griefers are selfish in an immature way. They put themselves first and don't care how it affects others.

It's fine to put your fun first if it doesn't ruin others' fun. But griefers ruin others' fun. So there is nothing to like about them.

Nothing.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#6 2019-05-13 15:07:39

CatX

I don't hate griefers. But I do find them disruptive.

Griefers are like those little kids who haven't learned yet that there are social rules at play for a reason. So they hit other kids, or break stuff, or steal, or behave like little nuisances because it makes them laugh and have fun. Then, one day they finally realize that while they're having fun, the other kids are not. They learn empathy. It's a phase I think all kids go through, and usually it doesn't last that long.

That said, please refer to Futurebird's definition of what griefing is. I'm not advocating removing all conflict from the game, not at all.

#7 2019-05-13 16:22:25

DestinyCall

Because they are childish, but not in a cute, innocent way.   They are childish in a self-centered, immature, destructive, bratty way.   Griefers go out of their way to make things worse for other people, then wonder why nobody likes them.   It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

I've met people who have this kind of mentality in real life.   Their pain is the only pain that matters.   They always have a dozen excuses for why they act like a complete shit-heel, but have zero empathy or forgiveness if anyone wrongs them in some small way,  even by mistake.   Constantly playing at being the victim while their actions mark them as an abuser.     That shit gets old fast.   

In my experience, people who show this kind of behavior pattern as adults do not change.   Most kids go through a phase where they don't see other people as "real", but eventually they mature and come to understand the value of healthy social interactions.  But some people never grow up and probably never will.

#8 2019-05-13 16:28:40

Potjeh

Toxic wrote:

If a griefer changed would you forgive him or would he be marked for life He/She.

People don't change. Once an asshole, always an asshole.

#9 2019-05-13 18:10:47

karltown_veteran

Because when you're actually trying to work on a big project and you are interrupted by murder / the stealing of tools it makes you really frustrated. That's a lot of time you aren't going to get back.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#10 2019-05-13 18:23:55

FeignedSanity

Potjeh wrote:
Toxic wrote:

People don't change. Once an asshole, always an asshole.

I disagree. I'm not someone who believes redemption is impossible, just unlikely.

I personally am never bothered by griefers much anymore. I would say that I never am, but I had a game last night where I made one of my sheep pens and someone planted carrots in there. Was kind of fuming. Not sure if it was stupidity or griefing, but it sure soured my mood a bit.

*side note* Sheep eating carrot rows is visually horrifying. I forgot how much it makes you feel sick lol. Just their gross head wobbling around, bleh.

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#11 2019-05-13 22:10:10

Toxic
Banned

DestinyCall wrote:

Because they are childish, but not in a cute, innocent way.   They are childish in a self-centered, immature, destructive, bratty way.   Griefers go out of their way to make things worse for other people, then wonder why nobody likes them.   It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

I've met people who have this kind of mentality in real life.   Their pain is the only pain that matters.   They always have a dozen excuses for why they act like a complete shit-heel, but have zero empathy or forgiveness if anyone wrongs them in some small way,  even by mistake.   Constantly playing at being the victim while their actions mark them as an abuser.     That shit gets old fast.   

In my experience, people who show this kind of behavior pattern as adults do not change.   Most kids go through a phase where they don't see other people as "real", but eventually they mature and come to understand the value of healthy social interactions.  But some people never grow up and probably never will.

If there’s people like me in the game in real life......
I have been playing normally and I see how griefing is frustrating.
I was making a camera the other day and this griefer took my box and ran off.
When I went after him and stabbed him he said I’m a griefer and cursed me with like 4 other people lol.

And tarr I haven’t been joining the server and being and asshole I haven’t been in discord for like 1 week now.

#12 2019-05-14 00:19:28

TofuInjection

Why wouldn't I hate griefers?  Their whole end goal is ruining my enjoyment of a product I paid for.

I said this to Datruf, and I'll say it to you Toxic:  I hope you play productively and I look forward to playing a productive life with you.  Hell, maybe I already have.

#13 2019-05-14 01:06:16

DestinyCall

Toxic wrote:

If there’s people like me in the game in real life......

I know, right?    Scary thought.

#14 2019-05-14 02:20:02

spurofthemoment

I can't decide how I feel about griefers. As a concept, I'm not entirely against them because in game, I sort of like that there are people running around causing harm because that happens in real life. Generally the stronger the rp is the more I'm okay with it...I'd be more alright with a serial killer in game than with someone just constantly running off with shovels and hoes for the heck of it. Basically, for me there's a difference between griefing as an imitation of common real-life crimes and griefing as exploitation of game mechanics just to annoy other people as players and not as characters in-game.

That said, I agree that most griefers are immature and not fun to play with. Although their presence occasionally makes gameplay more exciting, the more often it happens, the less fun it becomes. Much of what I like about griefers is watching the town come together to bring justice down on them, so it wouldn't be fun anymore if they just ran amuck and got away with everything, which they do sometimes.

And as I said, I have a weird relationship with them because I only like them as a concept. If someone came up to me irl and was like "hey I heard you like griefers lol I'm one," I'd be like, "Fuck off...we're not friends." I don't want to be friends with people like that.

So, yeah.

My name's Ash. And yes, I want to be the very best, like no one ever was.

And no, I've never played Pokemon. It just...kinda happened that way.

#15 2019-05-14 02:53:31

Psykout

It depends on the level that they are trying to grief. In my experience in this game because its near impossible without discord and forums to gain Notoriety, they get even worse with the "look at me" shit they pull. You are the best example of that with cursing streamers, which I personally, will probably never will forgive. It was absolutely disgusting behavior, and the fact you got enjoyment from bringing it up stains even deeper. If you truly feel like you can turn a new leaf, you have to personally atone for what message that sends to other people and wipe your slate clean with the only tool left, internet anonymity, because its way too soon for a lot of us.

#16 2019-05-14 03:28:27

futurebird

If you really want to change you start with an apology. A real one that shows you understand and regret what you did and will not do it again. Then you must show, over time, that you can keep that promise.

If people do that I'm impressed. It's really mature and frankly rare but I always hold out a little hope for that kind of change. Just saying "I've changed don't be mad at me" is totally meaning less.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#17 2019-05-14 04:39:58

NiGB0

I can't forgive the griefers.
The griefers ruin this game, in this game many people spend hours doing something and then you come and destroy everything in five seconds.

I think your reputation will be bad forever, if you can make a new account or change your name.

Eve Gomez

Board footer