One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-12 20:25:42

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Update: Come Together

jNaYjRv.gif

The Eve spawning algorithm has been changed from an ever-growing spiral to a dense grid packing, based on used natural spring sites.  That means that towns are much closer together than they used to be.  Walk in a cardinal direction from your town well for a bit, and you're bound to encounter other settlements.

But that doesn't mean civilization will turn into one giant, sprawling mush.  Just as I've brought you all together, I've also added a few other things to help you maintain some separation.  You're not building that tower to heaven together quite yet.

#2 2019-05-12 20:55:31

Spoonwood

Re: Update: Come Together

"Why would they build walled cities?

It doesn't matter who lives there, people care about the place not the people.

Place > Family

I mean it's hard to care for a lineage name when the family can't even survive 48 hours. The town they live on the other hand can survive that long if not longer."

-Tarr

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2019-05-13 07:14:30

Dodge

Steps closer to a more meaningful experience, game was staling in that regards for some time now.

Eve's far from each other meant that there was no competition for ressources, now that everyone is closer ressources should be used a lot faster in a given area.

Ressources are still pretty much unlimited at the moment but it's a step closer to a game where your actions have real consequences : https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=63

#4 2019-05-13 08:13:55

Grim_Arbiter

Dodge wrote:

Steps closer to a more meaningful experience, game was staling in that regards for some time now.

Eve's far from each other meant that there was no competition for ressources, now that everyone is closer ressources should be used a lot faster in a given area.

Ressources are still pretty much unlimited at the moment but it's a step closer to a game where your actions have real consequences : https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=63

I wouldn't call it unlimited. The iron race is REAL right now.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#5 2019-05-13 08:50:22

Dodge

Grim_Arbiter wrote:
Dodge wrote:

The map is so big that if you run out of something you can just move out indefinitly, using ressources has no real consequences.

You cant fuck up to the point where you would have to trigger an apocalypse to start over.

#6 2019-05-13 09:50:23

Grim_Arbiter

Dodge wrote:

The map is so big that if you run out of something you can just move out indefinitly, using ressources has no real consequences.

You cant fuck up to the point where you would have to trigger an apocalypse to start over.

I guess we'll see in a couple days. I have a feeling we might get close at least.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#7 2019-05-13 15:40:06

Whatever

I think this video describes the update better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAYdtRkFFIw

I really liked the bell tower feature, but now bell towers are too dangerous to build, i dont like this update.

#8 2019-05-13 16:10:24

jinbaili83

Haak family build a bell tower and was invaded and wiped out in half an hour.

#9 2019-05-13 16:17:36

Tarr
Banned

jinbaili83 wrote:

A). Not a wise idea to set a death trap bell as you'll eventually lure someone who can handle you.
B). They started it and I finished it lel.

Being completely xenophobic or purposely working to lure innocent people in to kill isn't going to work forever. The called me over with that bell and after threatening, killing my children, and killing a ginger woman they got their just desserts. Swords are still OP, and people are dumb for picking a fight with a veteran player.

fug it’s Tarr.

#10 2019-05-13 17:45:25

BlueDiamondAvatar

Dodge wrote:
Grim_Arbiter wrote:
Dodge wrote:

I strongly disagree.  The problem isn't the race against other families - its that we are retreading the same area.  I did a lot of iron exploring with a horsecart and came up with absolutely zero iron ore, wrought iron, or steel ingots.  Instead I found two large dead towns, with nothing but a few steel tools, and one functioning town that didn't have enough of an iron ore stash to start a race war over. (Not  that such an amount actually exists, IMHO)

Our family was doomed to never build a newcommen engine - just because of iron shortage.  So no way to update our pump to kerosene, much less drill for oil, or build a diesel engine.  Iron exploring is about to get really interesting on this map....

And unlike with the spiral... I don't even know which way to move my family to get out to pristine territory.

If I really wanted THAT family to survive, I'd be going for an apocalypse right now.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#11 2019-05-13 18:11:59

Dodge

BlueDiamondAvatar wrote:

And unlike with the spiral... I don't even know which way to move my family to get out to pristine territory.

Yeah exactly you can just get out and start new somewhere else, but you cant fuck up to the point where there is no ressources anymore on the whole map and the apocalypse is the only solution.

#12 2019-05-13 18:30:56

Spoonwood

BlueDiamondAvatar wrote:

If I really wanted THAT family to survive, I'd be going for an apocalypse right now.

But with everyone so bunched up is an apocalypse possible, or will it just result in someone else coming along to mess up the tower?

Danish Clinch.

#13 2019-05-13 19:18:22

paulof

jinbaili83 wrote:

They were old family, i remember them. When i was there second time there was no haak, but a lot of different families like the baguios and the badas. i was a Tori at that time, we had three cities yet and i wanted one more for our realm. Coincidently there were another toris in there so we took the city. Hope its still a tori city smile

#14 2019-05-13 19:22:36

Spoonwood

Jason,

There was a comment by a user named Buggy who said she wouldn't be playing on bigserver2 after this update, because of swords mostly.  I don't recall which thread it was.  She WAS streaming bigserver2 OHOL before that and thought that more people 'should' play the game before that.  She also once said that she only played on private servers on Rust, and didn't like how things worked on the main thing for Rust, whatever it is (I don't play Rust).  Take that for what it's worth, but she was streaming bs2 OHOL on Twitch before and now says she doesn't have an interest in playing bs2 OHOL.  So, there's some indication that your audience doesn't have so much of an interest in a PvP game.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-05-13 19:23:11)

Danish Clinch.

#15 2019-05-13 19:42:13

paulof

Guys, its a survival game, now we have to survive wars. It's been a survival game from the beginning, but some people seems to forget this.

#16 2019-05-13 21:11:43

Spoonwood

paulof wrote:

Guys, its a survival game, now we have to survive wars. It's been a survival game from the beginning, but some people seems to forget this.

No, people still had wild animals and resource depletion to contend with before.  There wasn't an uproar from the community when the pump overhaul update came.  Water became more of a problem and that meant that family survival became more of an issue.  I personally said I thought it would be good for the game and it was for a week at least.  On top of this Jason has said this:

jasonrohrer wrote:

As I've said many times, I want your decisions in the game to matter, at all levels.  I want running a successful village to be hard, and I want you to care enough to get good at handling that challenge.  I want town leadership to be necessary, because the challenge is so difficult, and I want disagreements and politics to unfold around that leadership.  I want the survival of your family to really matter to you.

Jason did NOT encourage people playing for their lineages with this update.  He encouraged crusades which just mean someone else in the family has eaten food from the family without providing for it.  He is completely wrong about property fences as they eat up a rope, and the family probably needs more buckets if not carts [oof... this said 'cars' for a while] as BlueDiamondAvatar has suggested.  A person who uses a property fence could have produced more resources for all than using such a walled off area.  On top of that people who make them don't pull their weight no matter what they do.  Jason even had problems getting an oil rig up himself here... actually that's an understatement... he didn't even know if oil got up and a tank of kerosone didn't get made in his life: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6386

Someone even comments and says that they wanted to test a sword and wasted family time by going on a crusade that literally did nothing and if you don't know a steel pipe needs a steel rod as does a sword, and steel rods require water to make:

Dodge wrote:

I was in that village, made the loom left of the sheep pen, could have started the oil rig but i wanted to "test" the sword and brought a horse to go find other villages, didn't find any unfortunately so i brought the horse back, there wasn't many people left when i came back but my twin daughters where still alive, the only two fertile woman at that moment.

Jason even said that they needed more steel pipes, a problem caused or exacerbated by this update!

jasonrohrer wrote:

I helped fire the drill, but no luck.  We needed more pipes to keep going.

Jason is just refusing to admit that this update has a serious problem with people playing for their lineages, because he's stubborn and arrogant and refuses to admit his mistakes.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-11-26 14:49:41)

Danish Clinch.

#17 2019-05-14 04:46:05

Spoonwood

Morti wrote:

Yeah, swords are dumb.
They really don't belong in this game.

It was one thing for us to realize that we could accidentally kill people with a bow and arrow, it was another to make the knife able to kill people, but reintroducing the butter knife in the form of the sword is just stupid.

What's next, armor? Guns? Cannons?

Atomic powered robots who's sole purpose is to defend our town?

Is that where all this is going? You want us to make terminators and drones to fight wars?

When there are 30 people playing, how do you think that's going to turn out?

You sold the game as a parenting simulator; people want to care for each other, and you're going to let the ones that kill people turn them away. Then you'll be left with another dead game, like all the other garbage you've made.

--

I'm sorry but the property fences and the weapons are the wrong direction for this project.

You should have stuck to making food, clothing and the technology for people to keep each other alive. That way new people would have felt welcome and needed and the game could have grown with the growth of the player base. Now you're just going to turn people who want to care and work with each other, a goal we all already wanted, away from one another.

You can't run a simulation meant for thousands, or even millions of people, with ten. What happened to humanity over the last ten thousand years just cannot be reproduced this way. *Even if 1 in 10 people decides they are going to murder people, the ratio of murderers to mothers is already orders of magnitude too high, compared to that which gave rise to mankind* [emphasis added].

Forget your lesson, make a good game for people who want to do good things.

That is what has kept me playing for over 2000 hours now, and that is what the vast majority of players wants to do.

That is what the vast majority of people throughout time, have wanted to do.

Danish Clinch.

#18 2019-05-14 19:50:51

Booklat1

paulof wrote:

>survival game
>Milk exists

pick one

Anyone fighting other tribes is a prick, just make cheap foods and grind iron/rope

#19 2019-05-16 09:43:25

threudorf

this is not a "come togather"-update, but a "fall apart"-update....!

should i explane?
you like lanugages?  - dann lern deutsch! kein bock mehr, mich durch das englisch zu kämpfen! kein bock mehr nach worten zu suchen, um mich zu erklären! zu anstrengend, mit meiner legasthenie!
danke für die scheiße!

#20 2019-05-16 10:00:00

Adolfo

How to make a sword?

Adolfo is god!

#21 2019-05-16 17:57:01

TAIOAN

Whatever wrote:

I think this video describes the update better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAYdtRkFFIw

I really liked the bell tower feature, but now bell towers are too dangerous to build, i dont like this update.

Things should not happen...especially with zoom out mod.

I always give my children a lovely Tâigí(Taiwanese) name, súi(beautiful)!

#22 2019-05-16 18:06:43

TAIOAN

Interesting update it makes me think of a world that we are speaking in the same language but manifest it in different way, by us, to create the diversity with strong intention...
It's closer to the world that I would like to see different languages in the game by making different sounds with keys to make specific sound on keyboard...

Last edited by TAIOAN (2019-05-16 18:08:51)

I always give my children a lovely Tâigí(Taiwanese) name, súi(beautiful)!

#23 2019-05-17 09:43:55

Spoonwood

Or is this going to end up as the "fly away" update with people choosing to live near a tutorial area?

Danish Clinch.

#24 2019-05-17 14:34:04

Luniatji

I really don't like this update. Or, more over, I really don't like the "Let's kill the neighbor city because they aren't our family!”-thing. And that is what I keep seeing time after time! I like the “you don’t really understand eachother” aspect, but.. come on.

I have played the last few days in different gameplays:

1. My family starts out friendly and welcoming to others. Another family comes and start killing so we have to react and kill back. War!
2. My family starts out bloodthirsty and starts killing the first family they see, because they aren’t ours. They have to react and kill back. War!
3. I’m alone with someone from another family and we are talking. Things like “Be – hi”. Then he shows me his family and I’m hi-ing to everybody. A kid comes to age, grabs his warsword and stabs  me to death. While I’m bleeding out the boy I was talking with is making sad faces to me, his family tries to stab the just-of-age-boywith their own warsword (doesn’t work.), my just-got-hairy kid swears to avenge me … you can guess what follows? War!
4. I’m born in a settlement with two families, were or my family or the other has killed them all. It was war, but not anymore because they are all dead.
5. My family does great, lots of kids. So I die happily. After a couple of hours I look back and see.. that they were all slaughtered by another family.
6. My fav: I’m born in one family by a mom who found an old town she wants to rebuild. She tells me that the other familymembers are south. When I got hair I run there and see my family- I think- but I can’t understand them. Turns out they are another family. Whenever I run by I eat something from them, no problems, until one time someone sees I’m from  another family and chases me with an sword. So I started to kill them. I kill a girl and an old woman and got killed by her daughter. After that I got reborn by that same daughter who tells me there was a weird woman who killed her mom and sis- turns out I had killed my at-that-second-life’s-own-granma. To speak about weird conversations.

What do all those life’s had in common? People starts war and start killing eachother. But, I have not bought this game for a PVP game! I bought this game because it is an PvE game, because it goes on growing an settlement, children and making your lineage great. It does not go about killing another lineage, then got killed yourself, and finally no lineage lived for 48 hours because they got killed. Why trying to talk to another family if you can kill them? Why trying to trade with another family, or trying to learn their language, when you can also kill them? Or, in my case because my first instinct is NOT to go to kill them, to got killed? Why playing a game, living an hour, giving them a good start and making tools, when that all goes up in flames when they or the neighbors decide that they wanted war? Why should we invest  an hour at all, if it all ends in “Killing or be killed in a PVP game”??

#25 2019-05-17 21:14:46

Spoonwood

Luniatji wrote:

But, I have not bought this game for a PVP game!

You have NOT described PvP happening.  PvP involves multiple players competing for the same goal.  For example in Mortal Kombat, players compete to kill the other player.  They both have the same goal.  In PUBG groups are competing to be the last group alive.  What you've described merely comes as griefing and we may as well call it trolling.

Danish Clinch.

Board footer