One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-03-29 07:43:41

BiboStar

Re: The Problem with Boys

If you were a female, and had some people around, you can tell them to help you feed your babies, the babies can be feed by other food, not only breast milk.

#27 2018-03-29 09:15:44

Dagar

Sakkiyn wrote:

Currently I really feel like this game hates and shames males/boys. This needs to change for the better.

That's what is wrong with people today. Neither the game nor Jason (to my knowledge) hates on or shames males. What is wrong with you? It's not like the ingame life of a male is not worth living because of some disadvantages. It's the choice of players to kill off male offspring (btw. there are also enough communities who, if there is enough food, keep all boys and just a few girls, in order to prevent unchecked population growth in the next generation).

Sakkiyn wrote:

a multiplayer survival game of parenting
and civilization building by Jason Rohrer

parenting not female parent ...please add some way for men to be part of this process and hence respected members of the civilization. Maybe make men better at killing bears and wolves? there is a tendency in game to starve and kill baby boys, this is actually the opposite of how things are done in ancient civilizations. The boys were the most valued not least,

You are just plain wrong to claim that in ancient history males were favoured, and even more so with implying that girls were actually killed more often. Educate yourself before you spread bullcrap.

Sakkiyn wrote:

how about let men take a wife, add marriage ...then there is a Father. The children of this union will be part of the male line.

If a civilization is down to only men, then can strike out and find an eve or a girl from another village (this was quite common in tribes that had no girls) marry her and carry on the family name. Please reconsider this hatred for males and male parentage. Make this a true family game and add marriage, make men great again.

Please reconsider your assumptions about other people's feelings towards stuff when you clearly don't know them. If you eat more apples than bananas, do you hate on bananas?

Lastly

#28 2018-03-29 11:26:47

Rebel

There are two reasons why a village dies

1: No females
2: nubs screw up farming

Only keeping female kids fixes number 1, and I have been in multiple villages that have lasted 10 generations because of it, overpopulation isn't a problem if people expand the farms and keep a baker in every generation. and have a good baby policy "One girl if food supply is decreasing, two if there is loads of food". Having a good nanny to teach the basic rules and giving out jobs is a must in large cities.

Also, I would like to add, Why do people not make carrot pies when they are out of meat, its another thing I see people do, the hunter dies and meat stops coming then the pies stop coming. Carrots pies are better then no pies and wheat is fairly cheap and are better than carrots. My pet hate is when I see people eating carrots when there is a cart full of pies right next to them.

#29 2018-03-29 12:54:00

IronBear

Rebel wrote:

Only keeping female kids fixes number 1, and I have been in multiple villages that have lasted 10 generations because of it, overpopulation isn't a problem if people expand the farms and keep a baker in every generation. and have a good baby policy "One girl if food supply is decreasing, two if there is loads of food". Having a good nanny to teach the basic rules and giving out jobs is a must in large cities.

Also, I would like to add, Why do people not make carrot pies when they are out of meat, its another thing I see people do, the hunter dies and meat stops coming then the pies stop coming. Carrots pies are better then no pies and wheat is fairly cheap and are better than carrots. My pet hate is when I see people eating carrots when there is a cart full of pies right next to them.

Cyniko wrote:

But again to actually contribute to this thread, I am never a fan asking for features to be taken or nerfed. And hope this does not become normal or standard practice.

And that is the problem Rebel.  And that is why this is NOT a NERF Cyniko.  Gamers are gaming the system to be efficient and eliminating some of the game play in the process.  If the policy is going to be "murder boys" among the players, why even bother to have it as option.

#30 2018-03-29 12:57:09

IronBear

Sakkiyn wrote:

Currently I really feel like this game hates and shames males/boys. This needs to change for the better.

a multiplayer survival game of parenting
and civilization building by Jason Rohrer

parenting not female parent ...please add some way for men to be part of this process and hence respected members of the civilization. Maybe make men better at killing bears and wolves? there is a tendency in game to starve and kill baby boys, this is actually the opposite of how things are done in ancient civilizations. The boys were the most valued not least, how about let men take a wife, add marriage ...then there is a Father. The children of this union will be part of the male line.

If a civilization is down to only men, then can strike out and find an eve or a girl from another village (this was quite common in tribes that had no girls) marry her and carry on the family name. Please reconsider this hatred for males and male parentage. Make this a true family game and add marriage, make men great again.

I think you may be projecting a little there.  I don't think it is personal, just gamers being gamers.  Most of those people starving boy babies are probably men in real life.  In their mind having the largest town and the longest line of descendants is "winning", so they do it.

#31 2018-03-29 14:10:08

Rebel

IronBear wrote:
Rebel wrote:

Cyniko wrote:

But again to actually contribute to this thread, I am never a fan asking for features to be taken or nerfed. And hope this does not become normal or standard practice.

And that is the problem Rebel.  And that is why this is NOT a NERF Cyniko.  Gamers are gaming the system to be efficient and eliminating some of the gameplay in the process.  If the policy is going to be "murder boys" among the players, why even bother to have it as option.

Gonna try a "One girl, One boy" meta later, see how the village turns out. I agree that Men can focus more on jobs somewhat, so this may allow for faster village improvements with more males, However, another reason having girls take jobs is that they can pass it on to there kids meaning a profession cant die out. It's a tough cookie to crack, but until males have some role in the baby process girls will always be favored.

I'll post if I see any interesting results from "one girl, one boy" rules.

#32 2018-03-29 14:32:41

TrustyWay

If moms cann't lead their sons to the good task things go wrong quickly. killing useless players, I mean really useless, doing nothing all day, is a good way to prevent grieffers, because they know it is a waste of time for them.

#33 2018-03-29 15:40:20

Lily

Rebel wrote:

Only keeping female kids fixes number 1

How does killing a boy increase the number of females? You don't spawn more children just because you kill them do you? That would be weird.

#34 2018-03-29 16:03:18

Rebel

Lily wrote:
Rebel wrote:

How does killing a boy increase the number of females? You don't spawn more children just because you kill them do you? That would be weird.

You will be surprised, most people respawn back as girls. especially when there are 5-10 women in the village.

#35 2018-03-29 16:03:59

Aname

Lily wrote:
Rebel wrote:

they just kill boys because there is to many people already and those people are only boys.

and if thats not the case the mom is just a noob

Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4082492

#36 2018-03-29 16:42:36

Lily

Aname wrote:
Lily wrote:
Rebel wrote:

they just kill boys because there is to many people already and those people are only boys.

and if thats not the case the mom is just a noob

That doesn't actually fix the problem though.

#37 2018-03-30 06:39:44

Hiker170

Lily wrote:
Rebel wrote:

This actually is the case, since births are based around the amount of people wanting to spawn into the game. So if you just ran off as a baby enough because you saw a nice village you could respawn there. I forget what the mechanics are as far as spawning in as a Eve or baby. I think it had something to do with the amount of resources in the area.

#38 2018-03-31 08:13:25

Lily

I had to share this because it is kind of funny and related to this topic. I was playing an Eve and was running around in the wilds and I came across a fully stocked town with no one in it. I had 5 boys, and one daughter, and the daughter had a boy. We kept them all. I mean the town is totally doomed since they are all boys now, but everyone had fun.

#39 2018-03-31 09:17:33

Lily

I came back a little after posting that, and was reborn to an eve who ran into the town. Though I was a boy and had a brother. Didn't fix the problem, but then when my brother died he came back as an Eve again. So some how in that little town we had 2 eves, 1 girl, and 8 boys and it continued on.

Board footer