One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-05-08 00:46:39

Tarr
Banned

Re: What's a sword between neighboring towns?

jasonrohrer wrote:

Tarr, that's some kind of server-side bug in the path sampling for the KILL action.

The same should be possible through walls.  Yes, just tested it, and the same thing happens with walls.

So even walls don't protect you from arrows.  Whoops on my part.

But thus, again, not a weakness that is particular to property fences.

I will fix it, obviously.  I'm guessing this has been reported, but I have a huge backlog of Github issues.

Can confirm.

iebu9SR.png

I've heard about this bug before and just figured it was a feature with fences since you talked about people shooting over them before. Turns out the time I shot/snowballed someone in their fenced property wasn't actually intended then.

If it's not already posted I'll go post it now.

fug it’s Tarr.

#27 2019-05-08 00:59:03

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Dumb bug... been there for years.

Fixed now:

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/ … cce25140e1

#28 2019-05-08 01:02:08

jasonrohrer
Administrator

futurebird wrote:

And as always I think that partnerships/marriages need to be between different last names.

Why do you think that, Futurebird?

What an odd restriction that would be!

smile

#29 2019-05-08 01:03:24

Bob 101

I like the language idea alot, Would make straight merging alot harder. But I do think Megatowns should still be a thing.

Integration overtime should be possible. A women shows up in a town and has babies, Eventually that branch learns the towns language and becomes curseable.
I don't like the sword idea because griefers with coord knowlage will take advantage of that shit.

Maybe writing can be used to teach words of other languages.

Or perhaps towns relatively close are culturaly similer but further then that are uncurseable other language speaking.

TL;DR I don't us to be red necks, We should still be able to have allies

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-05-08 01:20:12)

#30 2019-05-08 01:06:47

futurebird

A stranger comes to town.

This is how a lot of good plays movies and books starts, a new person comes to town and there are so many outcomes possible:

They could be a danger, a murderer a robber, an advance scout for raiders.
They could be the fertility boost your town needs to grow bigger than ever.
It could be a little of both...

So, I almost like the swords that only kill outsiders idea... and I really like the idea that people from other families have garbles speech, they need to act out what it is they are all about. But, if there is no way to move past this I think it'd put the game in a boring place where the "correct" action is "kill the outsider always" and that's not only kinda sad, it'd get boring quickly.

So, what if outsiders have something that no one else in your town has? They have: a different last name! You could marry this outsider and get a fertility boost and bring back a dead town. You could marry and learn their strange language and start trade and get to know a whole new people!

But are they safe?

I think those dynamics together are very interesting. So give us stranger danger but also tall dark and handsome strangers too. Which one is this man or woman? You have to work it out!

(So, the motivation for last name partnership rules is mostly the same as having rules about not being able to kill your mom with the family sword. It's about creating tensions and conflict between groups. )

Last edited by futurebird (2019-05-08 01:16:43)

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#31 2019-05-08 01:13:28

jasonrohrer
Administrator

So.... kids who are raised by parents from two towns become bilingual?  They can understand and talk to both?

And what does the language look like when someone from another town talks?  Gibberish?  Mixed up characters?  Google Translate into a language that no one speaks?

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-most … slate-list

Seems like Hawaiian would be a good candidate....

ʻAʻole hiki ke hoʻomaopopo i kēia'ōlelo,ʻo ia?

Wow... what I meant to say there was really lost in translation.  Try translating it back....

#32 2019-05-08 01:13:44

FeignedSanity

jasonrohrer wrote:

Not sure how tapping something with a rock once every two hours is labor intensive.

How did you get two hours? If I'm not mistaken, they need to be hit every half hour at most and 59 minutes at least.

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#33 2019-05-08 01:18:52

futurebird

I was thinking it'd be strange symbols replacing most letters some letters replaced by more than one and always shifting around. Or maybe they just say barr bar ba  ba bar which is how German sounded to the Romans and that's why they called them "barbarians"

---
omnem cibum costis

#34 2019-05-08 01:28:01

Booklat1

i actually think shooting over fences is a neat feature, there's still range restrictions to the shot

Jason, I think you should just make bans last shorter so people interested in a multi-life project can come back. Does the ban still last based on played time instead of real time?

Weapon powercreep is interesting but I still don't like how you're tackling the core issue. We've even tried clothing and pictures to give players a sense of identity. Why don't we just finish the character ethnic groups? Its a feature that's been worked on but not finished twice. And apart from water we also have little reason for territorial struggle.

But most importantly,
in the origin of the species, chapter 3 "the struggle for existence", darwin points out that should animals (elephants) reproduce freely we'd casually see hordes of them everywhere, even after small amounts of time. But of course, animals die and some even die without offspring. The fact some live some and some die is pure, simple selection. The struggle comes from ensuring your own permanence. Fighting others is honestly a small part of the fight against the environment.

I think it's the environment that's lacking in ohol (and no pop grows as irl ). Let us pit swamp towns against desert towns, both in different stages, with different metas, but before that give them both a chance to struggle for life. I think players will want to come back to their weird but thriving towns should they become possible. Water update helped increase struggle but its still too uniform. I'd swordstab someone if I was defending an arctic oil outpost that was just growing into a town.

Last edited by Booklat1 (2019-05-08 01:31:56)

#35 2019-05-08 01:33:48

Tarr
Banned

I mean the only issue I have with the idea of different families failing to understand each other is the case of twin/trip/quad eves. Can you imagine trying to start a village and no one understand each other? Of course the Eves can probably talk to each other over discord or whatever chat they use but all the children essentially being stuck looking at gibberish seems rather difficult.

fug it’s Tarr.

#36 2019-05-08 01:36:03

Bob 101

Tarr wrote:

I mean the only issue I have with the idea of different families failing to understand each other is the case of twin/trip/quad eves. Can you imagine trying to start a village and no one understand each other? Of course the Eves can probably talk to each other over discord or whatever chat they use but all the children essentially being stuck looking at gibberish seems rather difficult.

Make an exception for twin Eves since everyone originated in the same place.

Or Change how it works, 1 Eve and the rest adams. Twin Eves get too many kids anyways.

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-05-08 01:38:20)

#37 2019-05-08 02:08:23

jasonrohrer
Administrator

FeignedSanity wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

Not sure how tapping something with a rock once every two hours is labor intensive.

How did you get two hours? If I'm not mistaken, they need to be hit every half hour at most and 59 minutes at least.

My mistake.  It becomes rickety in 30 minutes, and you need to hit it every hour to keep it from falling.

So, once a lifetime, you run around and keep the fence alive.  I think the "labor" part of it might be that each piece of the fence is on a different timer, so you feel nervous about the part that just became rickety, so you check it constantly.

I could push it up to 1 hour until rickety, then one hour to fix it.

#38 2019-05-08 02:16:16

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, I think you'd need to slowly learn a language over time as you spent time around people speaking that language.

Or maybe just have kids that will serve as translators?  But that means parents could never talk directly, which is weird.

I think it could be... if you migrate to another town, slowly over time, their gibberish becomes intelligible to you.  But they still can't understand you, because they've only been around you, and not heard as much from you as you've heard from them.  So you still speak gibberish to them, as far as they are concerned.  And they say, "We can't understand you!"  And you can read that clear as day (because you understand them).

In order to learn YOUR language, they'd have to spend more time around your people.

Mind whirling with language generation models and gradual, partial translation models...

Damn... written words are tough!  Need to remember source of speaker for each not written.... hmmm.... I wonder if I could just punt there and pretend like people have very thick accents, so they write the same, but speak different.

Thus, outsiders could trade with notes.

#39 2019-05-08 02:44:29

Thaulos

I wouldn't go that deep into the rabbit hole. Maybe just have your native lineage language by default and get progressively at understanding other lineage as you hear them speak. If they hear you speak they start understanding you. Maybe do it by number of lines that was spoken or something, with a time requirement included (5 levels of comprehension in which each level required X lines to be spoken within 2 minutes for example).

#40 2019-05-08 02:45:43

FeignedSanity

jasonrohrer wrote:
FeignedSanity wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

My mistake.  It becomes rickety in 30 minutes, and you need to hit it every hour to keep it from falling.

So, once a lifetime, you run around and keep the fence alive.  I think the "labor" part of it might be that each piece of the fence is on a different timer, so you feel nervous about the part that just became rickety, so you check it constantly.

I could push it up to 1 hour until rickety, then one hour to fix it.

I feel like one hour until rickety would be enough. Like, once you hit it, you know that you'll never have to worry about it again (for the rest of your life). I don't see why you'd need a whole hour to notice it being rickety.

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#41 2019-05-08 02:49:27

Peaches

Say what you will about all the other ideas, I think they'd be solid with tweaking, but please please PLEASE make race stick inside one family! It's so jarring to be an eve of one race and suddenly birth another without any other people around, and it would make outsiders stick out like sore thumbs. I shouldn't be able to walk into a foreign town and blend in perfectly.

If anything, it'd cause at least a little bit of strife in those regards. People wary of others stealing their things for other towns (Ive done it) or just eating all their food, and actually being able to tell who's doing it by looks alone

Last edited by Peaches (2019-05-08 02:50:13)

The Frank to your Cleopatra

#42 2019-05-08 03:02:01

DestinyCall

If you want people to care about their kids more than the neighboring village's kids, the solution is really simple.   Your children are your future ... literally.   

Change the lineage ban mechanic, so you are MORE likely to be born to your own descendents after a short cooldown.   This would allow you to return to the same village more reliably,  but only if you have kids or close relatives still alive there.   Keeping your lineage alive and helping the village remain sustainable would be more important because you can expect to return to that same village in a generation or two, if all goes well without you.   Ignoring your kids or prioritizing a different family over your own might compromise your lineage and reduce your chances of getting back before the village dies out entirely. 

I realize you are trying to find reasons for players to care about our immediate family that avoid utilizing the multi-generational aspect of this game.   But why bother fighting against a core mechanic of your own game?   Players WANT to get back to previous towns to see what happened after they died.   They WANT to hear more of the stories that they started in past lives.  They WANT to be part of something bigger than a single life.  They WANT to leave behind a legacy that will be remembered.  Use that desire.  Harness it to fuel the stories you would like us to tell in OHOL.

Children are our legacy.   They are a link that spans between generations.   They are more important than our own life, because without children, there is no future.    And if having children and ensuring they survived could make the difference between losing everything you built to the sands of time or being given another chance to visit a place that you love ... you better believe people would care about their own children more than they do right now.

#43 2019-05-08 03:27:41

futurebird

love everything you said Destiny

---
omnem cibum costis

#44 2019-05-08 04:02:28

Thaulos

This is "one hour one life" not "one town multiple lifes"

#45 2019-05-08 05:02:52

DestinyCall

Thaulos wrote:

This is "one hour one life" not "one town multiple lifes"

If we are being honest, it is already "multiple hours multiple lives".   Unless you decide to stop playing OHOL after one hour, one life.   In which case, you probably don't care what happens to the game next, because you are done playing it.

The world of OHOL is multigenerational and I like that.  It is important that you cannot immediately come back to the same place and start working exactly where you left off.   It gives death meaning and forces you to pass the reins over to future generations.   Your kids might all be idiots and screw it up or they might be genius builders and make an airplane.   You don't know and you have no control over what they do with your hard work, because you are dead.  But that doesn't mean you should NEVER be allowed  return to the same village. 

If you never get back to see what happened, then you miss out on so many stories, so many mysteries, so many possibilities.   You will never see the airplane that your kids made or the disasterous fate brought about by your griefer grandson or the pretty garden built after your first death.    There is something special about working together to build something that you could never build alone and seeing what other people decide to do with what you made.   When you live every life in a different village, they all blend together.   They are all just "a village", not "your village".   What difference does it make if you are nice to your own lineage or nice to some other lineage?   There is no ownership, no sense of kinship, because you have equal chance of being born in that other village in your next life.   Their village is just "a village" too.   No different from any other, no better or worse than your current village.   

But if your lineage gives you the chance at true progression and continuation across time ... that is valuable.   It allows you to invest greater emotion into your life and your family.    Each one hour, one life becomes an important link in the chain.   The story is still told one hour at a time.   And you will still bounce around to different places, but if you live long enough to have kids, you will be more likely to see that place again.   You will be able to add more stories and build the chain a little longer each time.   Then ... when the lineage finally dies out and the chain is broken, it will be a deeper tragedy, because you actually cared about the long-term survival of your family and got to know the other players who shared that village with you.

#46 2019-05-08 05:10:27

WalrusesConquer

Maybe you can only speak the same language once you share an item of clothing? This trader in thier barbaric rabbit clothes is incomprehensible until you show them your ways and give them woolen clothes.
Or visaversa

What is this sophisticated guy in a top hat saying? We must give him a shawl, maybe then we can understand.

Thus could also create conflict, since
A) you have to give your resources to someone you don't know

And
B) Who even knows their intentions This barbarian in thier rabbits, could be looking to steal!
TL;DR
Sharing resources to understand language

Last edited by WalrusesConquer (2019-05-09 05:45:41)

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#47 2019-05-08 05:19:59

Tarr
Banned

WalrusesConquer wrote:

Maybe you can only speak the same language once you share an item of clothing? This trader in thier barbaric rabbit clothes is incomprehensible until you show them your ways and give them woolen clothes.
Or visaversa!

What is this sophisticated guy in a top hat saying? We must give him a shawl, maybe then we can understand.

And
B) Who even knows their intentions! This barbarian in thier rabbits, could be looking to steal!

That's incredibly silly and a terrible idea. I'd prefer if people spoke different languages based off skin tone (this removes group eves from not being able to communicate) while removing genetically different skin type mutations. Allow males from different skin tone families to marry into other cultures and then the mother can produce off color babies. These babies would either be like the mother or father and would just inherit the ability to speak to both while maybe mom and dad have to spend some time around each other to slowly develop understanding of each other.

Marriage gets added from this solution which tons of people have wanted forever, fathers get added which is another win in my book, and Jason ends up having to finish off the ginger models + african models so they can have true lineages. You would (almost) always know an outsider from a distance due to them specifically being a different player model type (unless they got lucky) which means it's very clear when an outsider enters the village. The only real cons I can see is players using this as a means to "roleplay" racism which is frankly sad.

fug it’s Tarr.

#48 2019-05-08 05:25:33

DestinyCall

WalrusesConquer wrote:

Or visaversa!

And
B) Who even knows their intentions! This barbarian in thier rabbits, could be looking to steal!

No no ... clothing doesn't bring you closer together.  Food does!     Share the food, share the love, share the understanding.   Force-feeding a stranger lets them understand you. 

So just like in real life, when you meet someone you don't know, you must immediately feed them a taco or they will probably stab you.

#49 2019-05-08 05:34:45

fragilityh14

in general, if different family lines are going to interact, the skins color should track the Eve more closely.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#50 2019-05-08 06:25:39

Dodge

If you plan on having more wars, you have to fix PVP, right now it's very frustrating and akward because of the right click that makes you drop your weapon.

There is a possible solution to this:

Having weapons that you cant drop with right click and has a holster/container that you carry on you.

To drop the weapon you put it in holster/container then take it off and drop it

if you drop the weapon on the ground by dying or getting stabbed/shot etc it drops on the floor as weapon without holster and this weapon can be dropped with right click until you put it in a holster.

This would allow PVP to be a lot better and a real part of the game.

Board footer