One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-06 20:05:48

Tarr
Banned

How fast is too fast?

After the Apocalypse went off earlier today I ended up doing an Eve run to test out how the update effects early/mid game.

My start point as Eve was to locate a spring on the map and then proceeded to follow along the grid until I found a good biome mix of grassland and swamp (also had a nice bit of jungle and prairie.) Early game ponds seemed fine for the most part, spring was cracked open during my life as Eve and nothing too exciting happened my first life. Game pretty much played the same as normal minus needing to find my home based off walking along a grid instead of what looked best.

Second life was as generation four which I spent sprucing up the berry farm and building a slightly organized farm. Ended up getting my 3x3 berry farms done and boarded them off nicely (minus whoever planted a 3x3 of maples in the top right hand corner. Best troll I've seen yet lmao.) Our shallow well went dry this life and had to be upgraded to the deep well at this point. This is about the time we could have started newcomen tech (the first newcomen was built minus the rubber for the piston as Eve and was just hanging around) and started to push towards oil but that wasn't started until gen six.

My third and final life was in gen six where we ran out of water in our deep well to keep pushing forward. Newcomen tech was getting started at this point and since someone else already was doing it I started building a jungle bakery. We were still using up natural soil at this point so we hadn't even cared to grab any sheep even though our sheep pen had been done since my second life. Ended up dying early this last life due to being dressed and poking a mosquito but the framework of the building was down and we were basically just flooring it.

My biggest question is though, how fast is just too fast? We were ready to start doing oil around the starting point of gen seven (whether they will actually start it or not is on them) which means the grind probably would be finished in two to three generations max. After this point it would just be doing the diesel engine and then the town would basically be finished besides any aesthetic things.

What was once something that might be done in gen 30 or 40 is now something we were prepped and ready for by gen 6. Having to rush is fine on some levels but it seems a little off that in less than three hours of the Eve being dead you should be wanting to start your oil grind. Maybe I had a good start, maybe I had great players, or maybe just a combination of both but things really seemed to be going way too fast.

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4361863
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4361863
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4362491

fug it’s Tarr.

#2 2019-05-06 20:43:56

Matbat

Re: How fast is too fast?

The only limiter for speed is how tired the veterans and good players are of rushing the tech tree upwards.

A fresh smart player can set up everything to get oil in a lifetime, provided they don't need  to get the iron, from a simple smithery. A tired smart player will sit around the fire and groan about how tired they are of rushing tech and go tend sheep and do other small tasks.

In answer of your question there is no too fast, but too slow and the village cannot sustain the large amount of people it needs to grow, advance, and sustain itself.

#3 2019-05-06 20:54:26

Booklat1

seeing your and thaulos' post I wonder if deep wells should give a bit more water

though I think this is also an issue of water techtree being one of the biggest linearly.

Personally i'd say more water for deep wells, less iron from mines, and mine upgrade may all help slow down the grinf for water while also not fully depriving us of iron

#4 2019-05-06 21:34:10

futurebird

I was just there and they are still a long way off from an engine. I made a bunch of kindling, but there isn't any iron left and I had too many babies to leave town to correct that. The jungle building isn't being used because it's too hot in there and the kid who said he was making doors died?

Really the issue when I was there was the kindling shortage and clothing was very short. So people focused on that.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#5 2019-05-06 21:36:46

futurebird

oooh! and the giant property fence sheep pen is a huge time sink. I had to boink it twice in that life, and even still one of the fences behind a tree decayed, sheep got out, but, not for long. Killed the one escaped sheep and no more left while waiting for the fence to set. I don't think I like huge property fences very much. Too many points of failure.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#6 2019-05-06 21:37:10

Tarr
Banned

futurebird wrote:

I was just there and they are still a long way off from an engine. I made a bunch of kindling, but there isn't any iron left and I had too many babies to leave town to correct that. The jungle building isn't being used because it's too hot in there and the kid who said he was making doors died?

Really the issue when I was there was the kindling shortage and clothing was very short. So people focused on that.

Yeah you can't use that building unless it has doors on it, otherwise the thing is too hot. Lack of clothing comes from the fact we didn't get sheep until gen six so there wasn't ever any sheep thread and there still wasn't thread when I died.

fug it’s Tarr.

#7 2019-05-06 23:05:22

Twisted

I do feel like getting to machinery might be a bit too fast, especially if people know what they're doing. I would really enjoy it if we had one more well stage between the deep well and the Newcomen, and maybe another prerequisite to making the Newcomen parts as to gate the engines a bit more.

Currently you can make engines as an Eve with the right spawn which feels a bit weird to me. What if the Newcomen parts couldn't be made on flat rocks, but maybe only with an actual anvil - it always felt a bit weird to me that there were no anvils in the game. Also, what if we had to quench the parts in a bucket of oil after hammering them out?

I feel like the tech tree currently has a great early game and a good late game, but the mid game is kind of skipped.

#8 2019-05-06 23:07:06

Spoonwood

Booklat has said elsewhere that getting people to live off of milks (or use it more) comes as another option.  Going fast on water technology is one approach, and for sure it needs to come as faster than before.  Doing things that use less water like earlier cows or importing water I think another.  Towns aren't the most fertile also until they have a good yum supply, and that doesn't happen until water is secure, though milks help with yum too, and so do other foods that don't require any water to make.  Maybe towns go too fast, but I'm not sure that they always must rush the water technology now (though I probably will myself... though that might just mean I'm out getting iron, rope, and branches, instead of processing it).

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#9 2019-05-07 17:22:49

Tarr
Banned

Twisted wrote:

I do feel like getting to machinery might be a bit too fast, especially if people know what they're doing. I would really enjoy it if we had one more well stage between the deep well and the Newcomen, and maybe another prerequisite to making the Newcomen parts as to gate the engines a bit more.

Currently you can make engines as an Eve with the right spawn which feels a bit weird to me. What if the Newcomen parts couldn't be made on flat rocks, but maybe only with an actual anvil - it always felt a bit weird to me that there were no anvils in the game. Also, what if we had to quench the parts in a bucket of oil after hammering them out?

I feel like the tech tree currently has a great early game and a good late game, but the mid game is kind of skipped.

I do think there should be something that limits an Eve or at the very least forces her to create something to stop newcomen stuff gen one (or at least as early as possible.) Whether it be something like having to smith an anvil or making wrought iron take longer to cool there should at the very least be some sort of soft cap on what Eve can get done no matter her skill level.

In relation to the water thing Pu family today ran out of its pump water around gen 11 or 12 but it could have been earlier, not exactly sure which meant they required a diesel engine to be made or for them to relocate their towns main source of water. In relation to when I played Eve the other day that lines up about where we were.

Three hours to go to pump levels of tech and after that about three hours later this family required a diesel engine. I still think that seems a little bit fast for you to be done with water tech six hours into a lineages existence. Though, I'm not sure if Pu lineage was lucky with the amount of water they got or unlucky and required the diesel pump sooner than expected.

fug it’s Tarr.

Board footer