One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-05 02:24:35

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Update: Pump Overhaul

kVc973t.gif

Problem:  The longer-term pacing and difficulty of food production in an established village is supposed to be controlled by the development of higher tech water sources as the lower-tech sources run out.  However, given that lower tech water sources are built on dry pond sites, and the number of ponds in a given area isn't strictly limited, many villages can get by for way too long on lower tech water sources, which undercuts the the tension and dramatic arc in these villages.  Any good Eve will seek out such a location before founding a village, which means that every long-term village faces the same kind of challenge stagnation.  Furthermore, the medium-tech water sources never run out, making the highest tech water source unnecessary long-term.

Solution:  Wells can only be dug on natural spring sites, not ponds, and these natural spring sites are distributed evenly across the map.  It's now impossible to have a town center with multiple wells clustered together.  And medium-tech water sources now run out eventually, making the highest-tech source necessary long-term.

You now see the age of a grave when mousing over it.  A few other bugs have been fixed, too.

Finally, forum member Clown Baby has done the heavy lifting to get a cool "time machine" server up and running, which will take you all the way back to how the game was when it launched back in February 2018.  No bears.  No snow.  No names.  No death stagger.  No Eve Spacing.  It looks like the same game on the surface when you first log in....

Details on how to connect to this Time Machine server are posted here:

http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6250

#2 2019-05-05 04:48:19

Bob 101

Re: Update: Pump Overhaul

Is their a way to get rid of dried out ponds?

It's a step in the right direction in terms of making diesel Era a thing. Still no need to make cars or planes.

It's weird we have engines but most other tech is still the same as it is in time machine.

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-05-05 05:02:53)

#3 2019-05-05 05:47:58

Spoonwood

Dried out ponds DO refill water with enough time.  So, it's good to have dried out ponds around.

I think players need time to adapt to this new change.  I think the change will be positive overall.

Edit: I saw a good number of families resettling old towns.  Old towns still have well clusters, which I don't think will change until an apocalypse happens.  So IF there's ever a time for an apocalypse, now would be the time.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-05-12 18:54:44)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2019-05-05 13:41:45

Spoonwood

I played in a town with two ponds close (the swamp had more, wasn't that small of a swamp) with a spring nearby.  The shallow well got made before I was a teen and was a deep well not too long after.  I DO use a zoom mod.  I'm not inclined to think that the 40 spaces for natural springs is too low.  I'm inclined to think it's about right at this point in time, after a pump will break, and you need water to get oil and a diesel engine up in addition to the water you need for farming and cooking.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer