One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-05-01 10:03:07

Psykout

Re: Why does everybody only want to be Eve?

pein wrote:

jason help on organizing cities

like 30% of people quit bad looking towns, even if some people work hard to get in shape

dirt roads for planning, they could go around fences and fences could hold the categories

storage would be better but just by placing dirt road tiles which block planting, we could shape towns very nicely

kind of a joke but highest tech right now is a free tile where you can put down stuff

I second and third this. Right now its hard to mark off planning for others to follow, and it takes a lot of effort to shift things around in an established town. Sure I will pull up some bushes to sneak in a row for boards, but shifting a lot of farm space and already placed boards is massively painstaking. If you are hoping to have a hand in making an organized town, you are better off starting before they have wrecked it with a 7x7 blob of berry bushes that have been boarded around and stew farm based off those boards... It got like that because either the eve camp just kept planting and planting, or that somewhere in between the rows got filled because it was too early to board it up. Being able to quickly put down dirt paths would immediately help this issue, and give later generations a blueprint of how to do the roads when they are ready.

I don't like large cities because they are usually cluttered and tight knit. Its like having too many people living in a house, there is way too much stuff in every room, and you are constantly tripping over other peoples stuff. They are usually so far gone that any attempts of steering away are impossible, its a visual game of telephone because whatever was thought about when the town was made is long forgotten and twisted into barely functional setups.

Also please please please, Can floor stakes be moved to the top of the list of items when putting down stakes? Between floors, farming borders and roads, floor stakes are the highest used of all stake recipes, but its one of the last in the cycle. If we had dirt roads and it was just a little quicker and easier to put flooring, I think the results would be huge.

#27 2019-05-01 10:21:33

Tarr
Banned

Psykout wrote:

I second and third this. Right now its hard to mark off planning for others to follow, and it takes a lot of effort to shift things around in an established town. Sure I will pull up some bushes to sneak in a row for boards, but shifting a lot of farm space and already placed boards is massively painstaking. If you are hoping to have a hand in making an organized town, you are better off starting before they have wrecked it with a 7x7 blob of berry bushes that have been boarded around and stew farm based off those boards... It got like that because either the eve camp just kept planting and planting, or that somewhere in between the rows got filled because it was too early to board it up. Being able to quickly put down dirt paths would immediately help this issue, and give later generations a blueprint of how to do the roads when they are ready.

I don't like large cities because they are usually cluttered and tight knit. Its like having too many people living in a house, there is way too much stuff in every room, and you are constantly tripping over other peoples stuff. They are usually so far gone that any attempts of steering away are impossible, its a visual game of telephone because whatever was thought about when the town was made is long forgotten and twisted into barely functional setups.

Also please please please, Can floor stakes be moved to the top of the list of items when putting down stakes? Between floors, farming borders and roads, floor stakes are the highest used of all stake recipes, but its one of the last in the cycle. If we had dirt roads and it was just a little quicker and easier to put flooring, I think the results would be huge.

Maybe in relation to berry fields just let us start the staking process as soon as their empty instead of when languishing? This would remove the two minute wait time which allows people trying to "help" which would make it easier to redo the berry blob field into a proper berry patch. Of course on the flip side you don't want it to be too easy like in the past where the whole fields would get shoveled up in a matter of seconds which made replanting a constant chore.

Stakes I'm fine with being redone with starting floor - east/west - north/south - corner - trash pit since the trash pits are basically useless and I'm not sure everyone wants to whack stakes five times per floor.

Basically stuff needs to be able to decay, go in the trash, or be stacked so towns can be more user friendly (they need to be cleanable without spending two hours to make a giant dump area that crashes the client.) We also need some sort of way to easier clean berries out to allow towns to be redesigned since early game berry fields are generally not suitable or created for the future towns needs or ease of use. Then finally, either buildings need some sort of fence like property (if someone puts up something dumb you can fix it easier.) that way bad designers don't scar a town for its whole existence.

fug it’s Tarr.

#28 2019-05-01 10:27:20

CatX

I'm not a fan of walls, but I like wooden floors. They're good for organizing space.

Might I suggest kitchen layout:

- Wooden floor
- Walls in corners only (pillars)
- Instead of walls, use wooden boxes

That way we could surround the kitchen with boxes of pies, easily accessible from the outside, very little waste of space.

#29 2019-05-01 10:35:51

Tarr
Banned

At the point you don't want walls I would lean more towards Spoons opinion where you shouldn't even put flooring down in the first place. Sure you get a bit of organizational space but other than that the floors basically do nothing what so ever. I'd much rather have shoes, boxes, or even just outlines for farms to make the town overall neater than to just shove down some useless flooring.

You can design proper buildings that don't need doors whether it be a hot biome building, mixed biome double building, or a cold biome building. Hell, if you were worried people might try to block the entrances with doors to lock you could always just put gates at the ends of the hallways if that's what floats your boat. A 7x7 is more than enough space to actively work in a bakery and honestly, I would go as far to say it's almost too much space if you aren't doing large scale baking.

Just like I wouldn't make a 1x4 baby fire hut, I certainly wouldn't go through the effort to floor an area without making sure it had proper walling.

fug it’s Tarr.

#30 2019-05-01 11:04:25

futurebird

Psykout wrote:

I made a github issue for this since I've seen people mention it a few times and it is annoying. And you have to move your mouse each time to get to the next type of steak. Needlessly tricky.

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLifeData7/issues/278

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#31 2019-05-01 11:13:25

futurebird

Tarr wrote:

Maybe in relation to berry fields just let us start the staking process as soon as their empty instead of when languishing? This would remove the two minute wait time which allows people trying to "help" which would make it easier to redo the berry blob field into a proper berry patch.

Made this a github issue since it's been mentioned before by me. The "steak, bowl of water, quickly shovel" is hard enough that I think you could stop a griefer (just take the shovel steaks or water from them...) but easy enough to make fixing field possible.

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLifeData7/issues/279

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#32 2019-05-01 18:13:06

Spoonwood

Tarr wrote:

I find it ridiculous you think we shouldn't have usable buildings in a game about civilization building.

Buildings don't work with spacing concerns in the game. Look, someone made a building for his smithy on server 12.  I don't begrudge that person, since low pop servers it doesn't matter too much how well something works.  But, I've smithed in there and it's like "oh drat, I'm out of space".  Another person decided to put a building a few tiles below where I put the engine after I asked her where to put the engine, she told she didn't know, so I said I will put it by the road and did so.  I got her a diesel water pump (it's s12, it's not like she needed it, but it's nice), but after that I ride back and I see she finishes off that building and now that engine looks rather funny and would be hard to work with.  I don't mind players making buildings in a low pop server like that... it's their place and they can do as they want... I mention those as examples to show that issues with buildings pop up almost inevitably.  And I've seen worse on bigserver2, like someone building a building just too close to the kilns/forges, like it was bad enough I decided just to destroy those kilns and rebuild and spent a good chunk of my life moving stuff instead of processing iron or something else.  I saw someone this morning where the main fire was to the right of the kiln and to the right of the oven.  Then she makes a stone wall building around the main fire and puts a single door on top of it, which is more time running around to light fires, or we need another fire and need to relocate everything, or destroy the walls with a mining pick.

So, let's say that Jason makes it so that buildings have better temperature benefits in certain situations.  Well, those spacing issues will still pop up, so it's probably still worth it to curse the building makers.  And then there's the door problem with buildings.  Doors are NOT a good use of rope, and the family needs more rope for other things.

Yes, enough trees of the right type to cut exist for butt logs.  But, I'm often clothing my child with clogs while s/he is waiting at the main fire.  It's not good for clog or bucket production to slow down because of some silly wood floor for a building that is a death trap or decreases efficiency of cooking or smithing or consumes rope when we could used more buckets for milk and rubber.  And that's many more issues than just temperature with buildings.

Also, I find it strange to keep talking about boxes.  Boxes can't get moved through, while sledges can, both hold the same number of objects and neither decays, so as long as you have the long shafts, I say upgrade any box to a sledge.

Tarr wrote:

We also need some sort of way to easier clean berries out to allow towns to be redesigned since early game berry fields are generally not suitable or created for the future towns needs or ease of use.

I've seen a few Eve camps do 3x3 berry fields (without having wood flooring, though I think I saw it start to get put down in one family), and not have food issues.  So, they can get designed so that they don't need redesigned.  How often that will happen is another story.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-05-01 18:24:50)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer