One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-04-30 07:14:43

Tarr
Banned

Re: Attention to all Daddy Diesels!!!!

CatX wrote:

Would it be possible, if there were enough planes, that having a landing strip would be a guarantee that a plane would show up eventually?

So you might not get your specific plane back, but a plane would always return.

Especially if only advanced towns could build the landing strips. Maybe a requirement could be to put some oil/diesel into the bowl of plaster to get the landing strip. Maybe that would help?

Well the problem is that landing strips decay every two hours unless a plane is sitting on top of it. This means air strips not in rotation will end up just decaying away while people aren't paying attention to it.

Even if you leave gas in the plane you need to make sure the other area has a proper road pointing back where they're supposed to go or they risk driving back to the strip they want to depart from OR just outright crashing.

Basically planes and by extension cars are useless to make on big server due to the player base being grabby grabby with them.

fug it’s Tarr.

#27 2019-04-30 07:27:03

CatX

Tarr wrote:

Basically planes and by extension cars are useless to make on big server due to the player base being grabby grabby with them.

Yes, well, planes are complicated to use as well as to make, given that there are no planes to practice on, so most players will never learn.

We might learn to leave the planes alone perhaps.

But it does sound like some fixes are in order.

#28 2019-04-30 11:05:36

Sukallinen

Again bit away from topic: irl I've yet to see a car w/o lock (and usually key). Ppl might get stabby to get ingame key, which brings again the apron w/ sterile movable pad.

--
Though irl I haven't locked mine in about four years smile

#29 2019-04-30 14:37:01

Spoonwood

FeignedSanity wrote:

Hmmmm, so I got stabbed by some mentally deficient fellow complaining that my engines were using up too much iron. Maybe people don't want cars or planes?

Was oil up?  Did you have a kerosene tank?

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-04-30 14:37:39)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#30 2019-04-30 15:24:04

FeignedSanity

Spoonwood wrote:
FeignedSanity wrote:

Hmmmm, so I got stabbed by some mentally deficient fellow complaining that my engines were using up too much iron. Maybe people don't want cars or planes?

I fail to see how that would matter. Getting oil up is practically effortless, and it certainly wouldn't justify a stabbing. That is, considering your brain is located in your skull, and not your anus.

Would it be safe to presume you were the dick head who stabbed me?

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#31 2019-04-30 18:22:05

Spoonwood

FeignedSanity wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
FeignedSanity wrote:

I fail to see how that would matter. Getting oil up is practically effortless, and it certainly wouldn't justify a stabbing. That is, considering your brain is located in your skull, and not your anus.

Would it be safe to presume you were the dick head who stabbed me?

No, I did NOT stab you.  No I wouldn't stab you for trying to make an engine first.  But, effortless?  Sorry, it's not.  You don't know how many steel pipes you'll need, or charcoal and water you'll need.  I think we did like a dozen firings of the rig before it got wet the other night with a Jo family.  Had someone fired a bunch of piston blanks to make an engine, getting oil up would have meant no iron left for axe, shovel, and hoe replacement.

Alright, so assuming the attachments exist, you need a steel pipe and a pump valve jacket (2), two crude cylinders, a boiler, and a steel pipe (6), a steel pipe (7), a hammer, a crude cylinder, and a boiler (10), a steel blade (11), and two tanks (13) given that you strike oil on the first try.  The expected number of steel pipes for the rig is 5, so the expected amount of iron to get oil up is 17 iron.  You need to use at least the roller and the bore to make the steel pipes, so the expected number of buckets of water is 7, and 7 charcoal to get oil up.  And one more water and two more charcoal to make the first tank.  So, 8 buckets of water, 9 charcoal, and 17 iron (plus making the rubber, getting the rope, and branches which takes time).

If you don't have enough iron around to make a diesel water pump, someone can make wick housing and upgrade a charcoal pump to a kerosone pump, and that's a huge convenience (for two kindling you net 29 buckets of water as opposed to 2 buckets of water with a charcoal pump).  Someone uses up that iron trying to make a diesel engine first, and water becomes more of a problem, especially since it's at minimum (probably more like 5 or 6) 4 buckets of water to make a diesel engine.

So, please do oil first.  That's what I do also.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#32 2019-04-30 18:55:49

FeignedSanity

@spoonwood

Well then it's a good thing I asked first before presuming. It seemed like it might've been a case of trying to sneakily justify your actions.

Are you really about to make an argument of water and charcoal investment? I guess if you're having a water shortage, sure. But then I wouldn't be making the damn car in the first place.

Also, what kind of bad luck are you having that you need to fire the damn thing a dozen times? I very rarely have to do it more than 3. Although, I guess I get that. I'm the same way with fishing. I get enough boots to provide the whole village with them lol.

I guess I'm looking at it from a perspective of what situation I'm in when I decide to build a car. I don't just build a car when there's only 18 iron. There needs to be at least 40. If there's not, then I don't bother building one. But I can see the argument you're making. I just assume that we already have oil. If not, then I'll make it then. But I can see how this thinking would be flawed. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to confirm oil going forward.

I'm sorry that you have a hard time with oil, but while I might be slightly exaggerating when I say "effortless", it certainly isn't hard. It's borderline easy for me. But then again, I've never had to fire a rig a dozen times, so eh?

~~~~

Back to the story of what happened to me, I had set already aside everything for the oil. Some guy said he was going to take the pipes, go find oil, and set it up himself. So I left it at that.

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2019-04-30 19:21:31)

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#33 2019-04-30 20:35:41

Tipy

Are radio makers welcome?

Build bell towers not apocalypse towers

Board footer