One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-27 14:21:24

CatX

Changes to the game that could make griefing harder

There's been a lot of suggestions on changes to the game that could make griefing harder.

I'm not sure whether this has been discussed:
Auto-curse anyone who kills two times within a set period, maybe 15 minutes.
There shouldn't be a need to kill more often than that if you're only getting rid of griefers.

Other suggestions I've seen:

- Make murder not possible
- Make it harder to murder someone, i.e. it takes two stab wounds
- Ban known griefers from the game (they'll buy new accounts, but at least Jason gets more money from them)

There's many suggestions on what people can do ingame too, but I thought this could be a thread to discuss possible changes to the game mechanics.

#2 2019-04-27 14:27:15

CatX

Re: Changes to the game that could make griefing harder

Another suggestion:

- A dedicated server for people who enjoy griefing and being griefed, where the game mechanics work as now but without cursing (and auto-cursing)

On this server, turn off decay, so griefers and wannabe-victims don't need to spend too much time building a civilization.
Maybe even domestic berry bushes should work like wild ones and never die out.

Last edited by CatX (2019-04-27 14:30:33)

#3 2019-04-27 15:35:15

Buggy

Make it so people who went to donkey town recently can't pick up weapons. You can still grief of course but it would just be harder then farming or rabbit trapping and you would have to be more creative about it then just killing all the girls

#4 2019-04-27 16:05:20

DestinyCall

No one enjoys being griefed (not even griefers) and, in my experience, griefers seem to prefer unwilling victims, so the "griefing" server would be empty, I bet.

I'd like to see a more serious consequence for serial griefers.   The players who consistanly grief, again and again.   They should be easy to identify based on their curse scores.   Perhaps the two ideas could be combined.   Serial griefers could be banned from all the public servers, except for one special DonkeyTown server.   This server is the same as any other server and can be joined by anyone who wants to play with a bunch of serial griefers.   But the banned griefers are not allowed back on the rest of the public servers.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-04-27 16:10:30)

#5 2019-04-27 16:14:44

Buggy

If there was a way you could attach a bellow to a forge so no one could steal the bellow. Making adding a lock to a door a long process that could be interrupted like claiming property. Making it so you have to take down branches before cutting down useful trees would force the axe to be set down in between cutting useful trees and allow you to interrupt deforestation. Only allowing one tool to be carried in a cart at a time would slow down tool hiders. Not allowing a structure to have no entrance (fences and buildings). There are so many ways the game could be tweaked in favor of those who want to see a town survive.

#6 2019-04-27 16:17:21

CatX

I like the suggestions so far. smile

DestinyCall wrote:

No one enjoys being griefed (not even griefers) and, in my experience, griefers seem to prefer unwilling victims, so the "griefing" server would be empty, I bet.

We could call it the pvp server. It has a nice ring to it.

#7 2019-04-27 16:32:31

Buggy

Make it so repetitively way over eating slows down your character. (Makes purposeful food wasters easier to stab and gives new players an indication that they made a mistake)
Along the  line of my first suggestion if a weapon is used for murder the murderer could no longer carry that specific weapon. They could use a new knife but not the one they used to kill the guilt makes it too difficult to carry.

#8 2019-04-27 17:04:33

futurebird

Buggy wrote:

Make it so repetitively way over eating slows down your character.

I'm ambivalent about most of these suggestions but I like this one. Over-eating makes you basically "fat" or "unhealthy" I don't think that newer players understand that they don't need to have a full hunger bar all the time. In most games you want to max out your stats so you try to keep all the bars full. When I first started playing I'd eat as soon as it went down because I thought that was the point. I'd panic if I heard that starvation bonging sound.

Now I try to never fully fill the bar unless I'm old, a baby or about to smith or move a horse. I eat so much less it's wild.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#9 2019-04-27 17:08:49

CatX

What if someone force feeds you though?

#10 2019-04-27 17:40:40

Spoonwood

Buggy wrote:

Make it so repetitively way over eating slows down your character. (Makes purposeful food wasters easier to stab and gives new players an indication that they made a mistake)
Along the  line of my first suggestion if a weapon is used for murder the murderer could no longer carry that specific weapon. They could use a new knife but not the one they used to kill the guilt makes it too difficult to carry.

Overeating isn't necessarily a mistake though.  In a time of fertility crisis, a woman overeating might get her yum up faster and that might be the difference between having and not having a child, or the child of the right sex.  Also, overeating before a trip out of town can make sense.  So, I wouldn't want overeaters to suffer some penalty.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#11 2019-04-27 17:49:37

futurebird

CatX wrote:

What if someone force feeds you though?

You should NOT be able to feed people over like age 8 unless they are down to 4 or fewer pips. In fact just make it that you can only feed people who have 4 or fewer pips, so babies, old people, near starving adults.

If you are feeding a person the slowing effect won't matter much because they are AFK probably or sick or hurt anyway.

And people who needlessly feed others get yelled at and killed if they don't stop so I don't see it often.

Last edited by futurebird (2019-04-27 17:50:17)

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#12 2019-04-27 17:51:41

Buggy

Spoonwood wrote:
Buggy wrote:

Overeating isn't necessarily a mistake though.  In a time of fertility crisis, a woman overeating might get her yum up faster and that might be the difference between having and not having a child, or the child of the right sex.  Also, overeating before a trip out of town can make sense.  So, I wouldn't want overeaters to suffer some penalty.

I was more thinking someone just eating to waste food.  Like trying to eat all the berries or pies to starve the town. Just coming up with as many easy solutions to common griefing tactics as I could. I also don't think it should punish any over eating, maybe just something like over eating the same food more than three times in a row with only one or two pips missing.

Last edited by Buggy (2019-04-27 17:53:22)

#13 2019-04-27 18:07:39

DaTrüf!

WTF, that would make griefing impossible xd

>Me: *writes detailed post on pit bull griefing and details how to prevent it*
>Community: GRIEEEEEEEEEEEEFFFFFFFER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#14 2019-04-27 18:10:40

DestinyCall

DaTrüf! wrote:

Give yourself some credit, DaTruf.   I'm sure you would think of something.   You're a smart guy, right?

#15 2019-04-27 18:14:46

DaTrüf!

DestinyCall wrote:
DaTrüf! wrote:

Give yourself some credit, DaTruf.   I'm sure you would think of something.   You're a smart guy, right?

even jason is satisfied with griefers in the game, I wouldnt make any improvements

Last edited by DaTrüf! (2019-04-27 18:15:04)

>Me: *writes detailed post on pit bull griefing and details how to prevent it*
>Community: GRIEEEEEEEEEEEEFFFFFFFER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#16 2019-04-27 19:00:55

DestinyCall

There's always room for improvement.   I'm sure that Jason would be the first person to agree with that.   

OHOL is constantly changing and improving in many ways.   Even if sometimes that means it changes in ways you won't like.    That's just part of the game.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-04-27 19:03:04)

#17 2019-04-27 19:24:51

CatX

The case against griefing is very well articulated in this post by Futurebird.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6183

#18 2019-04-29 07:24:32

CatX

Another suggestion:

Give us a keyboard combo that makes all items on screen light up, even the ones hidden behind trees.
We have private property now, if we want to keep something to ourselves we can simply fence it in instead.

#19 2019-04-29 09:45:02

Bob 101

Bring back black text for people who recently got out of donkey town. I was in recently and I everybody I met said they would grief again. Least mothers can tell who griefers.

Let us see who's murdered us in the past, So if you kill a lot people can hunt you even in future lives.

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-04-29 10:04:41)

#20 2019-04-29 10:52:13

CatX

Let Donkey Town be an option to go to for non-griefers as well. A Log In To DT-button on the start screen.

If I understand correctly, I would then always start as an Eve, never have kids, and the focus can be on PvP. Sounds like an interesting choice to have.

Board footer