One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-26 05:43:25

Toxic
Banned

JASON!!! SAID THAT GRIEFING IS IMPORTANT!!

“Futurebirds screams sound the sky, a nearby eve collapses.”

I AM FUTUREBIRD TODAY I WILL BE A GRIEFER!!!

“A nearby town is instantly wiped by the screams of the devil”

I AM FUTUREBIRD AND TODAY I WILL DESTROY THIS GAMES FUTURE!

“A player who was exploring looks around him and sees 20 futurebears swarming him”

Hi, btw that was a joke.

So I made a post saying that griefers shouldn’t be banned and they have a role in this game. In the post Jason kindly replied with this list

--Farmer
--Baker
--Smith
--Builder
--Herder
--Cook
--Tool maker
--Hunter
--Trapper
--Griefer

He also specifically states this list was given to him by his friend. The Mr futurebird read this post and um..... ok let’s move on so he read the post and got very very angry. He decided to quit the game because Jason posted that list. There was a lot of talk on the discord about how if Jason says that towns should have griefers that should include eve towns. Well sorry to break this to you it doesn’t. I don’t know if that list is in a particular order but griefing is on the end of the list. Nobody cares about the other roles but NO! Jason can’t say that griefing is a role in an town. It’s quite common sense do eve towns need a dedicated builder NO do eve towns need dedicated herders or bakers no.

Also no one would waste their time griefing an eve town, at least not most of the griefers I know. If you see somebody griefing an eve town he’s a little kid who decided to reduce his anger by killing an eve town. But “OH NO! IT DOESNT MAKE SENSE WHY DID JASON POST THIS!! I AM GOING TO MAKE A POST ABOUT QUITING THIS GAME BUT THEN 10 HRS LATER IM GONNA MAKE A POST ABOUT HOW I BECAME A GRIEFER.” Like futurebird if you made post saying you quit and want to take a break then why did you make a post of you becoming a griefer 10 hrs later?

With all due respect, Toxic

#2 2019-04-26 05:48:21

futurebird

Re: JASON!!! SAID THAT GRIEFING IS IMPORTANT!!

Because I didn't want to quit I was just very angry and frustrated and fed up.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#3 2019-04-26 06:11:36

Toxic
Banned

futurebird wrote:

Because I didn't want to quit I was just very angry and frustrated and fed up.

Alright I guess, bye don’t take this personally XD.
I know your really frustrated with people killing you but those people aren’t the casual griefer those are random temptational kills.

#4 2019-04-26 07:27:13

Léonard

Toxic wrote:

but those people aren’t the casual griefer those are random temptational kills.

But they're the price we collectively pay in exchange for being able to have "drama" and "high stakes" and "meaningful killings".

Jason's idea of griefing is people roleplaying as a killer. What he doesn't understand however is that griefers do not conform to "OHOL society" and simply want to anger people rather than create any form of meaningful story.

That's what you guys don't get.
Just today I was killed by a couple of twins who were trying to eradicate the whole town.
I managed to kill one of them, and right after I got stabbed by the second one while in cooldown (proving anti-twin people's point).
This wasn't fun. There was no reason for it other than they just wanted to piss people off or see if they were able to pull it off. There was no depth to it.
And that's what we see instead.

The problem is your idea of "fun murder" hasn't occurred. Ever.
I'd say 80% of this community never had fun being killed.
Jason idealizes griefing in his game as some sort of epic story.
In contrast, the sad reality that everyone knows is the billionth arrow put in their chest as an innocent kid, or the billionth stab wound by a couple of twins they birthed earlier.

Forgive me but if your goal was to entertain me with your griefing, you have utterly failed.

#5 2019-04-26 09:04:19

Elsayal

Hi,

I'm not sure it's only about fun : there are other emotions than fun that could be interesting to experiment through a game.

"I go"
"find"
"iron"

#6 2019-04-26 09:20:28

PeaGirl

I myself find griefing refreshing part of the game.

No, sometimes it doesn't feel great, it doesn't feel right and certainly doesn't feel what you paid for.
But it is a social aspect of which you kind of need to deal with.
Have you seen how many interesting stories have sprout up from killings? How many exciting stories of heroes chasing the villains and saving towns?
If you just complain that "Wooo... they kill just because they want to eradicate town."
You are either a pussy, or just can't deal with player punishing yourself. You have no right to complain if you yourself are unable to protect while you can.

I myself never saw OHOL as simple building simulator. Never really did. I enjoy and still do enjoy when someone decides to challenge town into killing game. It challenges your willpower of surviving. It challenges your "Kill or to be killed" ideal, in which you pretty much have no choice when it happens.
If OHOL didn't have this pvp aspect, I don't think this game would have any meaning as community game at all.
Call griefing whatever you want, but it is riskiest job to grief because you can be isolated to DK in one go if you're stupid enough. That's why it should challenge them as well, and in turn, challenge you.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#7 2019-04-26 10:49:23

Astelon

A griefer isn't required. People losing stuff is. You need to have a balance of creation and destruction. There's no way for people to lose stuff in the game, since it's not so much as player vs nature as it actually should be. So griefers keep natures role of going against development. It's bad design in the period of the game, as the greatest threat for early human settlements weren't a few individuals from within them killing others or hiding stuff, but nature itself.

#8 2019-04-26 13:31:19

Toxic
Banned

Well right now you can go from an eve town to a fully civilised town in under 10 hours

Last edited by Toxic (2019-04-26 13:31:43)

#9 2019-04-26 14:51:10

Turnipseed

Dear Toxic,

Please stop using all caps on your forum titles.

Sincerely,

-Turnip

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#10 2019-04-26 14:58:08

Astelon

Turnipseed wrote:

Dear Toxic,

Please stop using all caps on your forum titles.

Sincerely,

-Turnip

I mean, it is a good warning of what to expect in the post tongue

#11 2019-04-26 15:04:20

DestinyCall

We should probably ban people who use all caps in their post titles.   It is for the greater good.

#12 2019-04-26 15:15:51

futurebird

DestinyCall wrote:

We should probably ban people who use all caps in their post titles.   It is for the greater good.

I second that let's take a vote... wait.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#13 2019-04-26 16:55:12

Ari-ori-412

DestinyCall wrote:

what would be the point........

Stop eating berries adults! go eat the pie or stew right next to you.

#14 2019-04-26 17:06:05

Tarr
Banned

Ari-ori-412 wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

Saving shift keys and caps lock buttons. Keyboard lives matter.

fug it’s Tarr.

#15 2019-04-26 17:49:47

DestinyCall

Tarr wrote:
Ari-ori-412 wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

Saving shift keys and caps lock buttons. Keyboard lives matter.

Tarr understands.   Think of the keyboards, people.

Board footer