One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2019-04-25 20:49:57

Buggy

Re: Trash and Decay update.

It just seems so wrong that raw pork sitting in the wild on the ground will long out live the family that made it. Should we teach other players that growing salsa ingredients is bad? I want future generations to be happy I planted food not annoyed they have to cart invincible tomatoes onions and peppers out of town half their life.

Last edited by Buggy (2019-04-25 20:52:21)

#52 2019-04-25 22:09:39

futurebird

Tarr wrote:

Loot from two hours of cleaning trash out of a town. Whatever's client was actually starting to crash on some attempts to teleport items any further out which started slowing down how fast I could move stuff in and out of town. At it's widest the thing is twenty tiles out, at it's longest this mess was twenty eight tiles up and down. Blue outline is mostly to try to show how far this crap was going out while showing how many peppers, eggs, tomatoes, and other crap was picked out of the town.

http://i.imgur.com/riVQKtN.png

If this doesn't scream please add decay I don't know what does.

I just saw this and it's amazing. But, really I don't think anyone likes doing this storage/decay/more stacking more items in carts would solve much of this hassle.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#53 2019-04-25 22:21:04

futurebird

Tarr wrote:
FeignedSanity wrote:

@tarr

I don't feel like this is necessarily screaming decay. The biggest offenders appear to be the new stuff (onions, tomatoes, & peppers), eggs, and paper. The new stuff makes sense. Jason has just added it, so he'll need time to adjust it like everything else. I think everybody knows, by this point, that when Jason adds something new, he typically rushes just to get it out the door and fixes any problems later. You should be able to get rid of these easier...like maybe just eating them? lol

I guess I can see it with the eggs. If people just went around and killed a majority of the geese, then you'd have less egg spam. I suppose people's laziness and inefficiency doesn't really mean this should decay; but then again, maybe it does. So I'll let you have that one.

But the paper is a different story. The whole point of it is it's longevity. Maybe there should be a way to get rid of it. Maybe after a certain amount of time, it turns to "aged paper" and can be burned.

Everything else isn't really that big of an issue. Take out the above and you're not left with that much.

Eggs are in the pile because the town has about twenty goose ponds to the south side of town which are still producing eggs. People pick the eggs and just leave them on the ground which causes clutter and what not which is why they got moved to the town dumping ground. I guess I could just kill all the geese but I didn't want to remove the option for the town to make omelets to reduce clutter.

The new stuff definitely needs to be able to decay as there's at least thirty tomatoes in that picture alone if not more. Onions and peppers also filling that space quite nicely so should definitely decay and what not. On the topic of paper I do think it needs to either age out of existence or be dumpable as most of those papers are either gibberish, nonsense, or random notes people made over the towns existence.

Spoons (which are still new) should be recyclable, sharp rocks should stack, charcoal pencils should go in the trash, pork should decay, eggs should decay, feathers should decay, maybe arrowheads go into the trash, bean pods should decay (like all other seeds.

Basically there's just a lot of crap in game right now that has to just be dumped into an area like this.

Agree with everything but paper.

Paper if often clutter should decay after 2 hours to old paper which can be burned. After 6 hours old paper will vanish. But, at the same, time this change is made we should get the ability to bind an unlimited number of papers in to a book. I even know how the recipe would work:

Making a Book:
*put a rabbit skin in a bowl of water and get a "wet rabbit skin"
*scrape with a flint chip and get "rawhide"
*sew with a needle and thread and get a "book binding"
*put a paper(old or normal) with writing in the book and it becomes page 1, add as many as you like in the order you want them or take them out of the "binding with pages"
*whatever is on page 1 will be the title of the book
*when the book is done sew again with a needle and thread and no more pages can be added. Now you have a "book"

Books last forever, maybe even should last after apocalypse.  Books can be dyed using the normal dyes and stack up to 3 to a tile.

Reading a Book:
Pick up the book the title will be your speech bubble For example ":Town history and lore by Futurebird"
Right click on any tile while holding the book, page turn sound plays and you "read" the next page. To put down left click where you want to place the book.

Last edited by futurebird (2019-04-25 22:23:50)

---
omnem cibum costis

#54 2019-04-25 22:37:18

DestinyCall

It would be great if the new foods were directly edible.   We should be able to eat onions, peppers, and tomatoes directly.    Salsa should be a high teir yum food, not the only option.   This is pork tacos all over again.

#55 2019-04-25 22:42:42

futurebird

DestinyCall wrote:

It would be great if the new foods were directly edible.   We should be able to eat onions, peppers, and tomatoes directly.    Salsa should be a high teir yum food, not the only option.   This is pork tacos all over again.

In general I think the game would benefit from more thinking along the lines of "let add onions what existing items can we use it with" rather than "lets add chips and salsa what items will we need to add to make this happen" Items with very limited uses are not exciting-- most items should have multiple uses. The way you can make all kinds of combos of pies is great, for example.

---
omnem cibum costis

#56 2019-04-25 22:50:09

voy178

Well, sheep dung will decay in the next update from the looks of it, but I second the need for more decay and I love the book idea.

I would also like to nail paper onto doors and have the interaction be reading the paper initially and the second press removing it from the door. Do not think paper should decay though, but should be able to destroy them after they turn old.

#57 2019-04-25 23:12:28

FeignedSanity

Tarr wrote:
FeignedSanity wrote:

Eggs are in the pile because the town has about twenty goose ponds to the south side of town which are still producing eggs. People pick the eggs and just leave them on the ground which causes clutter and what not which is why they got moved to the town dumping ground. I guess I could just kill all the geese but I didn't want to remove the option for the town to make omelets to reduce clutter.

The new stuff definitely needs to be able to decay as there's at least thirty tomatoes in that picture alone if not more. Onions and peppers also filling that space quite nicely so should definitely decay and what not. On the topic of paper I do think it needs to either age out of existence or be dumpable as most of those papers are either gibberish, nonsense, or random notes people made over the towns existence.

Spoons (which are still new) should be recyclable, sharp rocks should stack, charcoal pencils should go in the trash, pork should decay, eggs should decay, feathers should decay, maybe arrowheads go into the trash, bean pods should decay (like all other seeds.

Basically there's just a lot of crap in game right now that has to just be dumped into an area like this.

Like I said earlier, I'll give you the eggs. But as far as your fear of eliminating omelettes, I'd like to remind you that we have domestic geese. If anyone really wanted omelettes or geese, they would bring an egg and domesticate it with any of the million dung piles.

I also addressed the new stuff. I don't think they need to decay, anymore than carrots or corn needs to decay. We need to be able to eat them (maybe give the peppers a heat bonus? tongue ) If not, then they need to be able to go in the trash. Which brings me to trash, which I'll bring up later.

I'm glad we agree on the paper, but we disagree on the decay. I still stand by my original idea of paper becoming aged, then being able to be burned. (If you wanted to revive an old note to make sure it doesn't get burned, maybe (blank paper with charcoal + aged paper) makes an exact copy of the old note.

Spoons = yes. Sharp rocks = yes. Pencils = yes. Pork & feathers (i'm guessing you mean fletchings) = no. Eggs = I guess, sure. Arrowheads = yes. Bean pods = yes. Arrowheads and fletchings should both be disposable.

As a general rule, I'm opposed to decay (with a few exceptions). I'd much rather be able to dispose of things. I want to be given the choice of whether or not something gets used. Not vanishing into the fucking ether because of an arbitrary time limit. Give agency. If something can't be used, I'd prefer it be either because it broke from use, or it was thrown away. A conscious decision. I want trash pits to be serve their purpose.

But back to my original point. If you take out the big three, the picture doesn't seem so bad. And even if it was, I don't think decay is what it would need.

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#58 2019-04-25 23:56:07

Spoonwood

Tarr wrote:

Loot from two hours of cleaning trash out of a town. Whatever's client was actually starting to crash on some attempts to teleport items any further out which started slowing down how fast I could move stuff in and out of town. At it's widest the thing is twenty tiles out, at it's longest this mess was twenty eight tiles up and down. Blue outline is mostly to try to show how far this crap was going out while showing how many peppers, eggs, tomatoes, and other crap was picked out of the town.

http://i.imgur.com/riVQKtN.png

If this doesn't scream please add decay I don't know what does.

Then you don't know what screams decay.  Those eggs, for example, could have gotten cooked.  Oh... that was were the Dada's were living right?   Yea, I walked there as a Berry women one life.  No, they did have yum maximized around that camp, not even close.  Rabbits, onions, shrimp, plenty of food products there that could get cooked up there.  I do agree that the notes are probably garbage though.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#59 2019-04-26 00:01:02

Spoonwood

I do agree that a smith should have the ability to smelt a spoon.

But other than that, I say no.  If it bothers you that much, cook it up, and get people to eat it.  It's not like they know these foods.  Heck, the family had cows, and even though I walked there (well I guess I did make seven buckets with the ropes I brought) they had no whole milk.  And if they don't know about whole milk, there's probably lots of other foods they don't know.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#60 2019-04-26 01:22:34

hmrka

Salsa things definitely need decay, but I hope jason makes them eatable... And I agree eggs are clutter too, especially when theres a goose pond very close to middle of camp, sometimes I add a bowl of water to a full pond to get the dumb goose out.

Btw I made a name for the messy town!
unknown.png

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

Board footer