One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-04-24 17:58:07

Spoonwood

Re: Can we just ban people from forum and discord who brag about griefing?

futurebird wrote:

And spoonwood, I really am starting to think you just like to argue... didn't you want to ban killing in the game? That's like way far beyond what I'm asking which is that this forum be a place that supports constructive play and if people want to be destructive they go to that griefer discord or just take it to another location.

Banning killing would not impose on people's freedom of speech on the forums.  The purpose of the ending killing idea would be to encourage people to play for their lineages instead of feeling tempted to kill off fertile women or encourage babies to SID when they see a bunch of murder graves and the like. 

You are completely wrong about endorsement of speech following from allowing speech.  The U. S. government allows all sorts of speech.  To make an extreme example, literal NAZIs have the freedom of speech and of the press like everyone else in the United States.  They should, as should anyone else, because those freedoms apply to all. Does it follow that the United States government therefore endorses NAZI speech as correct in meaning?  Absolutely not.  The same goes with griefers speaking.  Allowing them to speak is not an endorsement of the content of their speech.  It does not endorse griefing.  Also, you might want to recall/learn that there existed laws against anti-semitic speech in The Weimar Republic.  Anti-semitic sentiment ended up growing in Germany, because the NAZIs and other anti-semites could plausibly maintain that there existed a conspiracy against them.  The same can happen anytime censorship exists against a group of people.

You also talk about constructive play, but censorship is also destructive in general.  It comes as more constructive to expose the flaws in griefer's twisted sense of logic, or to expose how nefarious they are.  And you can't do that without letting them speak.

Finally, saying "you just like to argue" does NOT at all address the content of my argument.  If you had a strong counter-argument against mine that you believed you could persuade people with, then you would stick to addressing the content of my argument, instead of delving into an irrelevant ad hominem attack.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#27 2019-04-24 18:16:02

Astelon

Since freedom of speech is such a great issue for the forum, we should encourage people who want to spread racist ideas and what not, right? Since, stopping them would deny one of their rights, and we cannot allow that to happen.

#28 2019-04-24 18:18:47

JonySky
Website

hmrka wrote:
JonySky wrote:

Even if the murderers' stories are not written ... there will still be murderers in the game ...
You can close the mouths of the griefers, but that does not mean they are going to another game ...
not even the SIMS get rid of the griefers!

As I've said before, i dont care what they do ingame. I don't want them promoting griefing or discouraging possible players from buying the game.  And If you play long enough, you can notice griefers easily, so I don't need them to share their stupid pitbull breeding and stuff-hiding tactics on here.

I do not want to be rude, but if you do not want to discourage new players, you should remove your second image from your signature ...
in that image you had 27 children of second generation and only 3 reached a respectable age
3Vmffb4.png
with this simple picture you are showing all the suicidal children that a EVE is going to find in this game
and you are also explaining with a single image that you will surely spend 60 minutes of your life working for nothing ...

I consider that it is not the best presentation letter for a new player ... do not you think?

Last edited by JonySky (2019-04-24 18:20:53)

#29 2019-04-24 18:33:14

DestinyCall

Don't worry, Jony.  Most new players won't know enough about the game to be frightened by that graphic.   It only really speaks volumes to veteran players who are able to appreciate what it means and what it says about the game's birth/death rates.

However, I think anyone can appreciate the problem with a post about actively murdering entire towns for fun.   Especially if that post gets a lot of postive feedback from other griefers or "serial killer roleplayers" or whatever.   Probably not a safe place to live a normal villager life, unless you enjoy being a victim in someone else's cool story about griefing.

#30 2019-04-24 19:03:20

hmrka

JonySky wrote:
hmrka wrote:
JonySky wrote:

Even if the murderers' stories are not written ... there will still be murderers in the game ...
You can close the mouths of the griefers, but that does not mean they are going to another game ...
not even the SIMS get rid of the griefers!

As I've said before, i dont care what they do ingame. I don't want them promoting griefing or discouraging possible players from buying the game.  And If you play long enough, you can notice griefers easily, so I don't need them to share their stupid pitbull breeding and stuff-hiding tactics on here.

I do not want to be rude, but if you do not want to discourage new players, you should remove your second image from your signature ...
in that image you had 27 children of second generation and only 3 reached a respectable age
https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png
with this simple picture you are showing all the suicidal children that a EVE is going to find in this game
and you are also explaining with a single image that you will surely spend 60 minutes of your life working for nothing ...

I consider that it is not the best presentation letter for a new player ... do not you think?

That wasn't me, me and my quad friends kept getting reborn to this poor woman but one of us always /died so her cooldown kept resseting. Bold of you to assume It was me. In the end she wasn't harmed by this but her lineage tree looked funny.

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#31 2019-04-24 19:38:32

honikker

I don't see how letting griefers post their own stories endorses them. When you open the thread to read it you tend to find quite the opposite as the majority of the forum-goers poo-poo them and bury them under a tonne of salt. That's the opposite of endorsing.

I'm one of those spoopy roleplayers your mothers warn you about before they tuck you in at night.

#32 2019-04-24 21:09:29

Peaches

That's the thing, the greifers are bragging and posting their stories because they feed off of the attention. It's the whole "don't feed the trolls" mentality.

Griefers grief because they enjoy the attention, the rise they get out of ruining the fun of other people. Ban them, don't give them the attention and salt they want, and they'll likely get bored and move on. Problem solved.

The Frank to your Cleopatra

#33 2019-04-24 23:42:34

Ace

This is a perfect case of "Don't hate the player, hate the game".
       A programmer once said that when he is given something, an object for example, the first thing he asks is not "what does it do" but "what can i make it do". Using something just the way it's been designed to be used is booring, go further than the inventor and improve it.
       I really don't understand why people are promoting anti-semitic ideas, making it sound like it's a rightous thing. It's exactly like Hitler, blaming bad things in the world to a group of people that live under a certain faith and have their own ideals. You can find so many flaws in the real-world. There was this story of an asian man that found an exploit. He bought a plane ticket, A class, and he would postpone the flight from time to time, while eating for free at the airport restaurant. You know what they did? They refunded his ticket and changed their policies. They didn't ask for him to arrested even tho you can say he made the airport lose a decent amount of money (he ate there for a year or so) but that's not his fault.
      People should rejoice when something strange happens, something that adds fun to the game and turns the chore of learning/building something into a medium of getting better. "It's not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep coming back for more".

Last edited by Ace (2019-04-25 13:59:57)

#34 2019-04-25 01:01:24

Astelon

Ace wrote:

A programmer once said that when he is given something, an object for example, the first thing he asks is not "what does it do" but "what can i make it do". Using something just the way it's been designed to be used is booring, go further than the inventor and improve it.

The game you are given is like a library or an api. It has a set of methods and variables, stuff it can do and objects and what not. It has defined functionality, and it's up to you how you use it. Try go beyond that, and see how it fails. You can't just send requests to an endpoint you "made" for an api you don't own and expect to actually receive something but errors. That's what playing the game is. You have a set of limitations and you have to stay within them for proper functionality. Sure, you can make your client show 1000 tiles away, but you'll still only get to actually see what the server gives you.

The only case when your analogy is correct is when you are given code to modify. That's when you more or less have free hand on what to do. In this case, you can make the client see 1000 tiles away, but you can also make the server send those tiles to the client.

So yea, as a programmer, if I'm given an object to use, I'll ask what it can do. If I'm given an object to modify, I'll ask what I could make it do. We are given the game to use, not modify. Even with the mods we have now, to be able to play on the main servers, they all need to stay within the limits defined by the them.

You may have a point with not always using stuff the way it's meant to be used, but the programming analogy is kinda wrong.

#35 2019-04-25 09:17:23

breezeknight

just bury them in constructive threads about everyday life, civilization, family ties & your positive experiences

- - -

#36 2019-04-25 12:52:10

Ace

Astelon wrote:

The only case when your analogy is correct is when you are given code to modify. That's when you more or less have free hand on what to do. In this case, you can make the client see 1000 tiles away, but you can also make the server send those tiles to the client.

The analogy was about a general way of thinking that's not restricted to coding. You pick up a TV remote, you see if you can take it apart and and put it back together but with a twist or two, stuff like that.
An example from the game would be the different ways people find information they're not supposed to find like coordinates. Things that you're not intended to do, but technically can and nobody else knows.

Last edited by Ace (2019-04-25 12:54:52)

Board footer