One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2019-04-22 21:55:11

hmrka

Re: HOW I STOPPED TWISTED FROM STREAMING!

jasonrohrer wrote:

Who has been affected unfairly by a lifetime curse score building up from a "curse here a curse there" over time?

Remember, it only sends you to D-town if you get up above the threshold with your CURRENT curse score.

Even if you have a lifetime score of 55, which affects only 45 people out of the 39,000 people currently registered with the curse server, you have to accumulate 6 curses in a row to be sent to D-town.

That's not going to happen unless you make a bunch of people mad at you.  It's not going to come from "a curse here, a curse there," especially since you lose one curse each hour.

I have... maybe it is a bit of my fault, I do play a lot, and I do get into conflicts with griefers, which result in me getting mass cursed. But I have never harmed a town to the point that It would die.

I'm not a peaceful player, I won't let griefers destroy a town or be harmful to others and do nothing about it. Yes, I do curse them, but murder is the fastest solution.

Maybe not getting cursed in a long time (like 10 hours? I don't mind it being more, considering I really do play a lot) should make the threshold higher. Like let's say my curse threshold is 6, and after spending 10 hours playing peacefully and not getting cursed I go back to 7.

And as for the stats.. out of all the people that have ohol, how many of them have over 1000 hours played? The very active players definitely aren't at the normal 8 curses threshold.

total lifetime curse score system is still bad, and not fair...

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#52 2019-04-22 22:49:31

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well, I'm now looking at d-town as a temporary stop-gap.

Hopefully, eventually, police forces, leadership, law, etc. will be possible, making it much easier and practical to deal with griefers life after life, instead of needing to deal with them in a trans-life way.  Also, figuring out how to make a family really matter to players.

So I'm not going to spend more time on the curse system just now...

#53 2019-04-22 23:27:22

Booklat1

jasonrohrer wrote:

Hopefully, eventually, police forces, leadership, law, etc. will be possible, making it much easier and practical to deal with griefers life after life, instead of needing to deal with them in a trans-life way.  Also, figuring out how to make a family really matter to players.

thank goodness

#54 2019-04-22 23:34:41

hmrka

jasonrohrer wrote:

okay, I just hate how fighting crime as of now results in being cursed and sent into donkey town. but I understand. still hoping some change will be done to it but I guess I should be happy i got heard at all.

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#55 2019-04-22 23:35:50

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

Also, figuring out how to make a family really matter to players.

End the lineage ban.

Or give us a button which allows us to get reborn in the same family we last played.

Also, updates like property do NOT help in this regard.  Neither did the radio updates which just encouraged people to guzzle water and burn kindling without regard to family survival.  Neither did the car or plane updates.  People flock to the latest thing, even if it hurts the family.  The high society update and the black gold update also did NOT encourage people to care about their families, but they aren't as bad as the aforementioned updates.

So there's some suggestions.  Make updates which make it so that people will end up more likely to play like they cared about their families, and don't make updates where players end up using time or resources on non-productive things for their lineage's survival.

AND END THE LINEAGE BAN.

Sorry for yelling, but that would probably help.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#56 2019-04-22 23:42:17

A_person_1234

Uh, hi. So I didn't think this would be the topic of my first comment ever. But I don't understand why boasting about griefing is allowed on this forum. This is OHOL's main forum, the one where many people will be looking to find information before purchasing this game, and there are people here actively posting about ruining others' enjoyment for fun. We want to increase the playerbase, right? This forum doesn't give a good impression honestly. This Toxic guy claims to have accrued 1000 curses or something? And always makes this type of obnoxious post about griefing other players. Why the hell is this guy not banned. This person, and griefing in general, will drive people from OHOL. It's not fun to see all your hard work come to naught, just because a random guy thought it would be fun to rile the village up by stealing items and hiding them in the wilderness.

Jason, if you're reading this, I implore you to not get rid of cursing. It is absolutely needed or players will run around randomly killing people, luring bears, and scattering vital items because they can do these things without consequence. People do this stuff all the time right now. It will get ten times worse if cursing is removed. They don't care if they're killed. All they have to do is get reborn and they can just do it all over again. This game is a long way off from having laws and police forces, and even then there will still be players who play the game mainly to grief other players. I do agree with a lot of the other posters here that the lifetime curse score isn't an optimal system, but make it decay by one after something like 10 or 20 hours of gametime so players can't make griefing their way of life. But please. I beg of you. Don't remove cursing.

#57 2019-04-22 23:48:05

Tarr
Banned

jasonrohrer wrote:

I understand the change to not being able to curse people outside your lineage but what is the thought process behind the death thing? Are players supposed to choose between pushing problem players on others while unable to make sure they face any sort of consequence or are we supposed to just let people destroy everything so we have a chance at sending them to donkey town?

At least in the current system you can remove someone purposely screwing stuff up and have your children or the towns people curse the troll without letting them continue to mess stuff up. New system basically either has you choose to bend yourself over and just take the griefing or stop the troll in his tracks and they get no real consequences.

The only thing actively bad about the same lineage thing is you're powerless to curse a person who stabs you if you're too young. If you're going to stick with this dumb 60 second death thing there definitely should be a /curse command anyone can use as long as they have a token.

fug it’s Tarr.

#58 2019-04-23 06:48:04

Toxic
Banned

Ha Ha Ha!
Laugh at this

#59 2019-04-23 11:48:53

Starknight_One

jasonrohrer wrote:

... police forces? On the one hand, every time we start getting to the point we might be able to organize such a thing, you change the meta and we have to play catch-up. The good players get there soon, but the average player doesn't realize things have changed... and this results in chaos, and confusion, and dead towns.

On the other hand, you don't want people working on multi-generational projects, so you implemented the lineage ban, and then changed it to an area ban. But without those kind of guiding forces, the organizations you expect to come about won't happen, because unskilled players and griefers will kill the town before it can be arranged - and the people who want to provide such services wind up having to repair the damage, or they just die.

The gripping hand is that our avatars live 525,600 times faster than we do. Imagine what kind of society we'd have if we could only speak like 8 words a year. Pretty crazy, right?

You're trying to force your vision of the game on the player base. That is your right, you are the game creator. But you had built a wonderful sandbox here, and interesting customs were beginning to develop... and I'm afraid this particular update is going to destroy all of that.

#60 2019-04-23 12:12:36

SpreadDaWord

Toxic wrote:

Ha Ha Ha!
Laugh at this

What do you wish to gain from your acts?
Do you want to see Jason cry?

#61 2019-04-23 15:25:52

Aurora Aurora

Twisted deserved it tbh, hes ruined many of my projects

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#62 2019-04-23 15:54:19

Randomname

My idea is that you can only curse people you know, or a at least could have seen in game at least once in your lifetime (been within 20 tiles of your character).  This only applies for that one life, so you can't die then curse them in your next life or get others to do the same.  You need to actively be a character that has lived with the person to curse them.  This means if they kill your mother/sisters when you are a toddler you can curse them when you grow up.  This also means if someone outside your family griefs you can still curse them as long as you have seen them once.

If you have never lived with them, why would you need to curse them?

#63 2019-04-23 18:23:46

sdogg2m

"Even if you have a lifetime score of 55, which affects only 45 people out of the 39,000 people currently registered with the curse server, you have to accumulate 6 curses in a row to be sent to D-town.

That's not going to happen unless you make a bunch of people mad at you.  It's not going to come from "a curse here, a curse there," especially since you lose one curse each hour."

You could also be cursed by a single player asking for them and a gullible clan that is willing to deliver. Sorry but my first round of curses came when a player (Pein was my guess) ushered six bears into my camp and blamed me for it and asked everyone to curse me. People weren't mad at me until they were TOLD that they should be mad at me and I was punished for another player's griefing. The fact that this whole thread exists because an innocent player, Twisted, was sent to D-Town by a non-innocent player, Toxic, shows the flaws in the griefing system.

Furthermore, you have your fair share of new or unsuspecting players that either don't know how to spot a griefer or are too busy worrying about their own life. In a town where a murder takes place, you will see four-five people that can't pay attention because they have to work or starve.

Regarding "murdering the griefer," the solution seems simple but it is not. The killer even when killing a griefer always assumes the risk. I cannot tell you the number of times I have had long term community members or myself kill a griefer only to be killed and sometimes cursed in return. This is a disincentive to doing anything from a player standpoint about the problem.

Last edited by sdogg2m (2019-04-23 20:56:52)

#64 2019-04-23 19:55:30

Gabby

This sort of thing harms the game itself by reducing exposure. Why are you so intent on murdering an indie game?

Be nice to the mouflon

Board footer