One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-01 06:53:42

jasonrohrer
Administrator

v60 update with Mac fixes

Several Mac-specific issues have been fixed.

First, a bug that prevented people from clicking to move after typing to speak (particularly if what they typed contained the letter E) has been resolved.  This was a strange bug resulting from weird keyboard codes being returned by certain Macs.  I'm not sure why the wrong keyboard codes are being generated, but I've implemented a work-around.

Modern Macs have a huge problem with Apple's new Sandboxing scheme.  Apps that aren't signed through Apple are run in a random location where they can't find their files.  To work around this, the game asks you to find the game folder at first startup if it can't find its data files.

But, on certain macs, even this process wasn't working (apparently, System Events isn't always running like it is supposed to be, so it can't display dialog boxes).  I'm now using the Finder to display dialog boxes instead, which should always be running.

Finally, Sandboxing was also interfering with the update process on some Macs.  I think that Macs can cache applications somehow, where even if the application is overwritten, an old version of it will keep running.  So, after downloading an updated App, the new app wasn't running on re-launch.

The work-around (which will hopefully work) is to give the new App a new name each time... a brand new App bundle.  So, instead of them all being called OneLife.app, they are now OneLife_v60.app.  When v61 comes out, it will be OneLife_v61.app.

HOWEVER, this work-around has the side-effect of leaving a "vacant" app behind with the old name.  Apparently, an App can't fully delete itself.  This should be obvious, because the ghost app left behind has no One Life icon.  The new one that has been installed will have the correct icon.  The old one won't be runnable, and will have 0 size.  Just delete it as you see fit.

Also, due to permission issues, getting all of this to work means you need to download the whole bundle for v58 again manually, which I have called v58b for the Mac.

So, it's a bit of a pain, but it must be done.  Grab v58b from your original download page.  But only Mac folks need to do this.

If you're on a Mac, please let me know if you're still having issues.

#2 2018-03-01 06:56:10

protein

Re: v60 update with Mac fixes

Thanks for the hustle!

Really enjoying the game so far.

#3 2018-03-01 07:57:05

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Also, ALL MAC USERS:

You must DL v58b manually.  If you try to run your old client, it will break when it tries to install the v60 update.

#4 2018-03-01 20:47:24

theLephty

downloaded v58b manually, 70ish "updates" later I don't feel like I'm making progress... I haven't made it to V60 download yet :-( Bummer of a lunch hour, good luck making it work, I really enjoyed the game yesterday.

#5 2018-03-01 20:52:36

theLephty

oh, so this might be a clue, since I had pointed the app toward the non "b" version (that first time I ran it, as discussed above, finding the game folder), I don't think it was making progress in the "/OneLife_v58b" folder... basically I still had "/OneLife_v58" installed, and it was the captain. Once that thought struck me, I renamed "/OneLife_v58" to "/OneLife_v58a" and renamed "/OneLife_v58b" to "/OneLife_v58" and it downloaded v60 on the first try, and v60 connected to game server on it's first run, again, good luck, thanks for the awesome game.

Last edited by theLephty (2018-03-01 20:54:20)

#6 2018-03-02 00:34:14

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, good point.  I think deleting your old v58 folder is necessary because of the sandboxing still looking there.

Board footer