One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-22 17:42:32

FeignedSanity

So, Jason. When do we get an update for milkweed farming or poop?

A thread with a similar title got Jason's attention today, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I really think milkweed could use a bit of a rework, post here https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5980 . Basically just some fine tuning and quality of life changes I feel are kind of warranted, along with other discussion around the topic.

Also, why the decision to make adult sheep give poop too? Back in the day it used to be a very important question, do I feed the adult, or the baby? Now no matter what you do, you get poop, which is hard to get rid of. I feel like this change being reverted would be nice; but I've also seen it suggested that pigs become the poop animal instead.

Just seeing if I can get Jason's thoughts on this. I know he is a busy man. Also, if anyone has heard him say anything about these topics.

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#2 2019-04-22 17:49:11

Booklat1

Re: So, Jason. When do we get an update for milkweed farming or poop?

please, no more buffs

can we just get actual uses for the resources we produce? I know its boring but milkweed and iron needs are the only things that really slow our progress a bit

I'm fine with some advanced rope making or whatever, but at least make it post lathes for now

#3 2019-04-22 17:55:09

FeignedSanity

Iron should be the bottleneck, tbh. I'm fairly certain that Jason has even said as such on multiple occasions. But no one is really asking for buffs, just changes. The only buff mentioned was someone talking about a "domestic" milkweed that gave thread. And I was hesitant regarding that, unless it had some sort of drawback to compensate.

I guess you could consider my original idea a buff, but it would probably go along with a nerf to the amount of milkweed that spawns. Suggestions were meant to be more quality of life than anything else. I have to wonder if you even read anything or are just straw manning/knee jerking.

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2019-04-22 17:55:35)

#4 2019-04-22 18:07:03

Booklat1

FeignedSanity wrote:

Iron should be the bottleneck, tbh. I'm fairly certain that Jason has even said as such on multiple occasions. But no one is really asking for buffs, just changes. The only buff mentioned was someone talking about a "domestic" milkweed that gave thread. And I was hesitant regarding that, unless it had some sort of drawback to compensate.

I guess you could consider my original idea a buff, but it would probably go along with a nerf to the amount of milkweed that spawns. Suggestions were meant to be more quality of life than anything else. I have to wonder if you even read anything or are just straw manning/knee jerking.

There cant be just one bottleneck, and iron is just the long term one. Soil, water, food, kindling, all work as bottlenecks at some stage of the game.

actually having too few needs makes barter very unviable, and the game economy a mess (iron has to be common enough to be found which causes it to pile lategame, despite being heavily used, and if its too rare there's no progress)

diverse economies are easier to balance at some points, for instance making kindling rarer can be countered by planting more threes or getting oil pump (though both are hefty long-term investments)

#5 2019-04-22 22:45:00

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: dung

it was this change:

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLifeData7/issues/151

Was this a bad change?  I guess I didn't think much about it, and fixed it for logical consistency.

#6 2019-04-22 22:48:27

futurebird

It sounded like a good change but clothing made everyone go all foie gras on the sheep hence the poop problem.

There has been a lot of talk on the discord about making food decay if it isn't stored "grain in a sack or in the crock" "poop in a bin" "tomatoes in a basket or crock..."

Last edited by futurebird (2019-04-22 22:49:35)

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#7 2019-04-22 22:52:46

Tarr
Banned

It definitely wasn't a bad change but it had a pretty negative effect because people don't make compost as quickly as they fill up the sheep pen with  poop. Mass producing compost with the sheep poop is possible but then you get into the situation where threshed wheat stockpiles get even bigger than they already were.

Basically you either have to make a mess through composting to clean up the sheep poop (thus making clutter through threshed wheat) or remake the sheep pen to be bigger. You have the same exact problem with threshed wheat in game at the moment too where if you try to clean it up you get a bunch of cluttered plates of bread people for whatever reason refuse to eat in a timely manner.

fug it’s Tarr.

#8 2019-04-22 22:59:08

futurebird

Tarr wrote:

If you try to clean it up you get a bunch of cluttered plates of bread people for whatever reason refuse to eat in a timely manner.

Put the bread near the berries, make the kids eat it instead by clearing every bush to make more compost and sheep.

---
omnem cibum costis

#9 2019-04-22 23:25:17

Booklat1

jasonrohrer wrote:

Re: dung

it was this change:

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLifeData7/issues/151

Was this a bad change?  I guess I didn't think much about it, and fixed it for logical consistency.

cant pigs be the poop animal? they're so lame right now

#10 2019-04-23 00:29:40

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Probably will just make it decay on its own over time.

#11 2019-04-23 00:33:00

futurebird

jasonrohrer wrote:

Probably will just make it decay on its own over time.

My dreams of dung heaps fade but this is better than nothing.

---
omnem cibum costis

#12 2019-04-23 01:50:31

FeignedSanity

Damn, I fall asleep for a quick nap when Jason responds to my post sad but, at least I made some change happen. I would've preferred a more elegant solution, but I suppose slapped duct tape on it will work. No more shit fields as far as the eye can see, so I can be happy with that.

Wow, I had no idea it was changed so recently. It's a shame because I felt it was more dynamic the way it used to be.

@Jason

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take a look at this. I'm sure you've got bigger things you'd like to work on, but I would've loved to hear more of your thoughts. Regardless, I'm still grateful for what I got.

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2019-04-23 01:51:11)

#13 2019-04-23 02:06:21

Thaulos

@Jason

The problem is that the feeding sheep serves multiple purpose. We use it for wool (clothing, thread, pads), mutton and poop. We can now control how much mutton we get from the sheeps and also how much wool. But we had no way of balancing the output of those three byproducts resulting in excess poop (before we had a shortage so the change was good).

We currently have the same issue with excess grain while doing compost. Specially with the new crops we have much higher usage of soil. Most ingredients to make soil can have their amount balanced by players. But while doing compost we get a byproduct of grain which also doesn't decay. Today I spent one life doing compost and we had around 30 grain just on the floor taking up space between farms because we had way too much of it. In addition to compost there were people also making adobe buildings and using up even more straw and leaving even more grain on the floor.

If you could somehow make grain decay over time or add another crop that only produces the straw part that we could use for adobe/baskets/compost without incurring into grain overflow it would be great.

Last edited by Thaulos (2019-04-23 02:09:02)

#14 2019-04-23 02:10:40

futurebird

Thaulos wrote:

If you could somehow make grain decay over time or add another crop that only produces the straw part that we could use for adobe/baskets/compost without incurring into grain overflow it would be great.

If grain can decay we need a way to store it other than bowls. Could we just fill up a crock pot with like 6 grain? Or Flour? Grain decay makes me so nervous because when I bake I run out ALL the time. It only piles up because people are not baking enough, collecting empty plates and baking again. When I see a bunch of piles of grain I feel a bit more calm because I know they will be gone soon, but I won't have to stop and grow wheat just to bake.

---
omnem cibum costis

#15 2019-04-23 02:20:02

FeignedSanity

There is no real reason for grain to decay. It's super easy to get rid of (unlike poop). You throw it in a bowl, and turn it into bread. I would understand if making bread had a chance to use up the bowl used for making it, or needed other multiple other components or a large time investment; (like poop) but complaining about grain is just kind of silly IMO.

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2019-04-23 02:22:22)

#16 2019-04-23 02:25:54

futurebird

Thank you for the point about grain having no cost to clean up in iron or resources. You just make it in to food. It's the *primary product* of growing wheat and just as often I have needed grain and been annoyed that I didn't have the time to make compost with the straw. Then I just make baskets.

---
omnem cibum costis

#17 2019-04-23 02:33:37

FeignedSanity

futurebird wrote:

Thank you for the point about grain having no cost to clean up in iron or resources. You just make it in to food. It's the *primary product* of growing wheat and just as often I have needed grain and been annoyed that I didn't have the time to make compost with the straw. Then I just make baskets.

I've been conditioned to think that a "thank you" on the internet is sarcastic, but I feel like this one might be genuine? Trying to figure out definitively from context clues, but I still feel it could go either way lol. I'm gonna side on genuine, and say "you're welcome".

#18 2019-04-23 03:33:56

futurebird

not sarcastic.

---
omnem cibum costis

#19 2019-04-23 03:37:48

GreatShawn

Maybe just lower the cost to make cloth. I mean like it doesn't make any sense whatsoever for the material required for a hat is the same as a ball of thread.

Board footer