One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-28 02:27:57

Eannatum

A cool, weird, and maybe plausible idea (summary is my first reply)

WARNING: THIS IS A LONG POST!! I WROTE A QUICK SUMMARY AS MY FIRST REPLY TO THIS POST!!

INTRO:

Maslow's theory on the hierarchy of needs is one which is really interesting, for it states that a happy human is one that fulfills certain criteria and then unlocks a new level of needs (or wants). Thus, a human could only be happy whenever he reaches the top of this pyramid. I will explain the pyramid describe by the theorem, and then go on to discuss the application of it, and finally explain why it should be implemented.

https://cdn.psychologytoday.com/sites/d … k=ZW0E6oJV
(An image of the pyramid explained in English and which you should use to help visualize)
(I need someone to show me how to put up a picture instead of a link on a forum. The explanation when I clicked on the "{img} tag:" link isn't understood by me)

THE THEORY'S BREAKDOWN:

The bottom row: this row supports all the other rows, and without it filled, the others will collapse. This row consisted of basic human needs such as food, water, and sleep. It is the row that represents the feeling of survival. (Although less feeling and more instinct)

The 2nd row: this row is in between the middle and bottom row. Without it, all the above rows crumble. However, the bottom row will remain. In this row, a human can fulfill it by guaranteeing safety. This would include to safety of the town, the family, and whatever, one's self, and whatever else may apply. It is the row that represents the feeling of security.

The middle row: this row supports only the 2 highest rows. It is essentially the social requirements of a person. For example, one would replenish this row by communicating with neighbors, loved ones, and other people. It is the row that represents the feeling of belonging.

The 4th row: this row supports only the final, top row. It is the feelings of joy and happiness which fill it. One would represent this by spending some leisure time in between work hours to enjoy themselves. It is the row that represents the feeling of content.

The top row: this row is supposed to represent self-actualization, of sorts. In essence, once this row is fulfilled, one is able to fully understand their mental state better than any other because they spent time understanding themselves while they were put under different situations. Achieving a positive outcome in these stressful situations can cause this row to be fulfilled. For example, killing a dragon, marring a princess, and inheriting the kingdom would fulfill the human's top row. It is the row that represents the feeling of accomplishment.

The debated row: there is another row which is supposed to represent self-transcendence. , it is the spiritual achievement of having been enlightened and reaching Nirvana (not the band, unfortunately). It’s a cool concept, (look it up!) But I won’t elaborate because deviates from the mission of this post.

THE APPLICATIONS:

This pyramid of rows is an interesting component. I am not a coder by any means, but I think it could be a way of upgrading the food bar.  Sections of the pyramid would only be ‘unlockable’ at certain ages. It doesn’t make sense that a child wishes to seek spiritual release from the real world through the debated row. Only at the coming of age would one’s character have full access to the pyramid, assuming they can provide for the lower rungs. First of all, as an adult, the food bar would be decreased. People would starve quicker. They would therefore be enticed to upgrade it to the full 20 (or more) bars. The following is only an example of how I think the system should work and nothing more. Thus, it is open to any and all suggestions.

“You are born to Eve. You feel alive as she runs across country with you in her arms. She finally stumbles upon a farm already set up for her kind by a small civilization long gone. She simply grabs the water pouches to water the seeds planted eons ago. She feeds you the seasons’ harvests until you are old enough to help run the water. The fields inspire in your young age a sense of security: next year, there will be food (food bars added). Eve starts a fire and settles you right close to the flames. You feel sleepy and nap or otherwise occasional pangs of hunger waken your young body (food bars added). Your brother is born 8 years after you, and you two bond together over the fire (food bars added). Eve stumbles upon a dead mason, his cart loaded with tools and resources of his trade. Immediately upon her return, Eve sets up the foundations of a house and small bakery, which you man as your brother scavenges food. Finally, years after your coming of age, the community you’ve built up is able to accommodate more settlers and you can relax as there is less work load on you (food bars added). Decades have passed. As your mother’s just died upon your 18th birthday, the role of matriarch was passed on to you. So while you stare upon your bustling town, the golden crown gives you the sense of achievement no other award could’ve (food bars added). Upon your death bed, Jesus visits you and grants you immortality. “

The pyramid itself would be very hard to scale, but rewards would be worth it. That last bit was just a joke, but the rest was a nice little story to sway the romantics and the RP’s in us. Here is a more technical layout of what I have in mind. Again, you all can change and edit this as you find fit.

The top row will give you the most reward (7 food bars) if you accomplish the following:
         -Pick a large amount of vegetation.
         -Hunt a large amount of game or kill a couple bears.
         -Bake a decent amount of pottery, forge a decent amount of steel tools, or conjure many pies.
         -Wear the golden crown your village has bestowed upon you as chief matriarch/patriarch.
The 4th row will give you the second most reward (5 food bars) if you accomplish the following:
         -Never type profane words for the majority of your life’s entire oratory.
         -Sacrifice your food, clothing, or other resources a decent amount of times for a player’s benefit. 
         -Rarely get the starving notification in the first couple decades of your life.
The middle row will give you a moderate reward (3 food) if you accomplish the following:
         -Spend a few years working with the same person.
         -Do not evoke profanity from another player.
         -Evoke positive words from another player.
         -Accomplish 1/3 of one of the first row’s goals before a certain, young adult age.
The 2nd row will give you a smaller reward (2 food) if you accomplish the following:
         -Lay down a tilled plot of land for the first time, ensuring a crop for the harvesting season.
         -Show your master your first apprentice’s steel ingot, pie, or whatever.
         -Ensure the progeny by feeding couple wailing children.
The first row will give you only 1 food for not dying until 10 years old. Then, your food will not increase unless you work. 

THE REASONING:

This game is very innovative because it’s one of those games that makes the player think philosophically about things. Thus, it makes sense to give players a reason to be good and work hard, just like in real life. The brain releases dopamine as rewards for tasks well done, like arduous workouts, acquisition of excellent food, or cuddling with wonderful people. Additionally, this would help deter killers. In this pyramid, one could add slides back down to the bottom for failing at tasks, like making doors useless by placing adobe ovens in them, killing humans, depleting ponds and rabbit holes, killing crops, etc. Also, if a troll is focused on messing with the village, they’ll spend less time preparing and more time running to the farm fields. Upon this discovery, it could be in the villagers’ interests to banish or execute the troll because he was not being productive.

THE SHORTCOMINGS:

This does not eliminate the issue of trolls, but it would curb it. There are murderers in real life, and I find this to be a simulator of society from a philosophical point of view.

This would increase specialization of labour. This is both good and bad. If the last farmer dies, people are less likely to go farm because they are attempting to go in whichever field they were destined by the pyramid’s tree. Plus, travelers would not benefit well from this tree because they would be a more like a jack of all trades. They would spend less time specializing and more time ensuring food, milkweed, progeny, and essentially everything. To contract that, I must state that this is just like what human society did. There were those who settled and specialized and those who did not. Those who settled were able to afford greater luxuries, such as pies. Those who did not could only eat berries and maybe, once in a while, a cooked animal.

THE CONCLUSION:

This system is NOT a solution to the griefing problem. It is NOT a game fix. It is, instead something to capitalize on these issues and make the game more realistic.

I tell my children, "suck ma mammal juice". Then they do and I get cornūy

#2 2018-03-28 02:34:58

Eannatum

Re: A cool, weird, and maybe plausible idea (summary is my first reply)

Here's the watered down stuff. Based on an actual social theory which is very prevalent when describing human behavior, I want to set up a reward/punishment system for players. Its essentially an achievement tree, only very difficult to climb. It will discourage griefers and murderers. It will promote the outstanding members in society. HOWEVER! It is not meant to stop the griefers. I believe that this game is supposed to be a reflection of society. It does not make sense to 'destroy weapons forever' because that is not reflective on the real world. I find it important to keep the 'bad aspect of humanity' (because this game reflects both the good and the bad). Instead, implement the human brain into the game by simulating the brain's reward system as well as a punishment system. It revolves around the food bar. That way, if there are unproductive members of society, they are more likely to run to the fields more often than others. At this point, towns folk should consider banishing or executing them if the person in question has been building weapons instead of working.

Last edited by Eannatum (2018-03-28 03:11:26)

#3 2018-03-28 10:57:24

Kinrany

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs#Criticism

It's very well known, but it doesn't seem to be based on actual research. Well, other than the framework of humans having a number of separate needs, which is just that, a framework.

Last edited by Kinrany (2018-03-28 11:02:03)

#4 2018-03-29 00:21:22

Eannatum

Thankfully, we're not trying to make theorems which accurately describe human behaviour, so whether or not there's been proven research is not really of relevance. I'm only taking aspects of the pyramid to apply it to the game and make it more rp. I'm inspired by what it says.

Board footer