One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-18 23:07:04

Ella

Get a wife, a dog and listen to the story

Hi!
So it’s my first post on this forum and I started playing today.
Other than that I just fell in love with the art style and wanted to draw. So checked the forum and draw more or less what people were pointing out. Kinda, don’t remember which topics were pointing those stuff.
I wanted to share the pics with you all.
The objects that are existing in the game or a bit edited, belong to Jason Rohrer, while those that aren’t; are drawn by me.
Some phrases in the stories might be used as well that belong to other people, but I Couldn’t pinpoint to who exactly.

oholfirst
ohol2second

Below stuff more or less described, with story content (because I like creating my own backgrounds).
1.    Protection, safety measures

a)    The shepherd dog – it should be the dog that protects; when someone kills near this dog, the dog should attack the murderer. Also with a rope you can walk with the dog around, when freed from the rope, you don’t lose it and the dog will go around like other dogs. In situation that you hold the dog someone kills you, the dog will kill the murderer, still you die if no one helps, but oh well...
b)    Lasso + person = bind man – can be used on and by people above 16, you can’t eat, but can be feed. You can move. Can be freed with a flint chip or a sharp stone, if people see you as a good person.
c)    Kain’s Mark – if you kill three people within an hour, you get sent in the next life to the punishment town, or whatever is called.

Short Story:
Kain took the knife and trusted it into his brother’s body. Kain believed that he was in right… while his brother couldn’t understand him, he had no choice. He killed his own brother.

“First… for the rightness” Nosaj had mocked.

Kain then had to run, as the other villagers had wanted revenge for the lost son. He ran for many days and they still pursued. His uncle almost managed to shot him one day with a bow. So he decided to await. He hid behind a tree and when the archer got close he stabbed.

“Second… in defense” he heard Yum say.

The boy, lost for now his pursuits… but he has known that he no longer had a place in his hometown, he sought revenge…
He got a disguise and when the right time came, he pulled the not suspecting child from the village and killed her as well.

“Third… You’re a murderer!” Meh had shrieked.

Kain got cursed by the God himself!

End.

2.    Plants
Apple tree – you get apples. You can eat apples, make an apple pie. You can make jam (and put it in a ceramic jar), eat caramel apple, when coated with sugar. Also bees will use the flowers to make honey.
3.    Food
a)    Honey – bees will collect and make in their beehive, you can collect honey from them and put in a ceramic jar. You can put the honey on a piece of bread.
b)    Jam – made from apples, can be put in the ceramic jar, can be used to fill up donuts, or on bread.
c)    Donuts – like above or on the picture.

4.    Animals
Puma – it will keep distance from the player, but when you stomp on the same spot with it, the puma will scratch you to death! When fed with meat, it will give birth to cats.
Cat – they will kill mice, sit on chest, so you won’t be able to open them, till they go off and ofc look cute.
Mouse – they will eat left over seeds (that are left on the ground, not those in baskets or bowls), when they somehow get to your camp. The cat will be able to kill them, a player as well but, the mouse will be running away from the player at high speed, so they’re hard to catch.
5.    Storage objects
-    Wardrobe
-    Ceramic jar
-    Aluminum bucket – only used for dung
-    (Aluminum) hanger
-    Dung pit
-    Table
-    Shelf
-    Sack

6.    Travel objects
a)    Sling – the mother can carry her baby, while doing stuff. The mother and child share perfect temp. when it’s used, so the hunger doesn’t go fast. When a new baby is born, the older one drops out of the sling. (You can’t feed other kids while in use. Should the backpack be used with it?)
b)    Cart (and etc.) – a mother should be able to put her kid that is below three years old into a cart and take the kid on a ride. The moment the baby hits three years it can jump out of the cart. (Only mothers can put their kid in a cart and other objects with them. Other family members can get them out.)
c)    Carriage – one rider on the horse, other people can fit in the carriage, they can eat food as long as they had entered the carriage with (example) a pie in hand. Otherwise the rider needs to keep track of “F” shouts to stop.
7.    Environment
-    Spring
-    River
-    Lake
8.    Marriage
Rings of marriage will allow a player to get married with someone that is not related to their family.
Example:
The Eve gave birth two to boys, they help her but are growing old, her daughter died and in her last birth count she gave birth to a boy. Seems that their chance of survival are null. They hear a bell ring, get a new home mark to some other place. From now on she can prepare her youngest on a journey, to find that new village and a willing wife.
When ready, the youngest son goes on his journey by horse or foot, however he wants and in that new town finds his future bride. They share the rings and from now one he is the father and she’s the mother of the next generation that are birthed by her. To make it short, so there won’t be the need to write like for the females the grand… grand… grand… stuff. The male will be seen with a title “Family Patron”. The kids from this family line will have two Grand Mother Eves.
Also new surname for the new family would be made with four first letters from one family and four from the other. Example: Dust + Wingless -> Dustwing
9.    A story time of Origin.

Sit by the fire my child, I’ll tell you a story that was passed by our ancestors. A story of how we came to be and the Gods that are blessing our land.

The world was empty, barren of lands or food, it was the time of null.
That is, till two Gods, two siblings, set their eyes upon our world. They were called Yum and Meh.
They decided to descend and treat the land so it would become full of live and vigorous. They walked hand by hand for many days, as the land was spacious and awaiting for its rulers, creating different kinds of biomes, from hot desert to freezing tundra.

With the lands ready, they thought that some animals and plants are needed as well. But what kind of living beings should they make?
They had different vision on what was more important, thankfully they were two, so they found a solution. They divided between the tasks. Yum took upon oneself the duty of creating the first animals (rabbit, mouflon and horse), while his sibling Meh created the plants and objects (berry bush, cactus and rocks).
When the most important creations in their eyes came to live, they took a breath and choose to swap their duties, creating even more, because variety is the key for creativity.
But it was not enough…
The world had become beautiful, but  if no one can see it… isn’t it in vain?
“Dear sibling, there must be a being that will walk and see our world, like we did when we first discovered it.”
That, my dear child, was the time when our ancestors came to be…
Yum made Eve, our “Great Mother”, while Meh a being that was called Adam.
Meh then said to his son.
“Adam, I want you to protect Eve and help her. While she will in the future give birth to your children, you have to work for the two of you. For now I’ll give you this wild berry bush, so you have infinite food, that will always grow back.”
Yum then said to both the daughter and son.
“Go on and discover, your live depends upon it. There might be obstacles on your way, but nothing venture, nothing gain.”

After receiving the blessing,  the two children were then set on their journey into the world that their makers wanted them to explore and adore.
Eve and Adam were young and curious. They picked up rocks, branches and seeds, tested or combined the collected items in different ways, finding out if possible to use or not. When they got stuck what to do next, the Gods would create whatever they seem to need for them to use, so the children could try anew.
Also, the first pair helped each other like the Gods wanted them to and as the time passed they fell in love…

Still destiny works in so many ways…
Yum and Meh were followed by their younger brother Nosaj, the little troublemaker. He wanted his siblings’ love and attention, but they had no time for him to spare, as their world project kept them busy whenever Nosaj wanted to play. When he found his older siblings and their world, he decided to do some shenanigans, that were small at first…
Like moving rocks to different places, tying a horse to the Gods’ measuring monuments and so on… 
But one day his prank went too far…
The world so far was filled with creation, there was no destruction. All the creatures coexisted in perfect harmony and peace.
It was a normal thing for the animals to walk with the human side by side.
Adam was at that time in the swamps collecting clay and around him wild boars were tending to their younglings not minding the human. That’s when Nosaj had striked the non-suspecting parties, by pulling the boar’s tail. The scared animal rushed in fright at Adam… And while most animals created by the two Gods were safe to touch, the wild boar had those sharp dangerous fangs. Adam got wounded by accident.
He felt pain for the first time. He started running in the direction of his and Eve’s home so maybe she or the Gods could help him, but he was fast losing blood. The son of the Gods’ swayed in all directions, no longer knowing where he’s running as the world got darker and darker. He ran pass a wolf and the animal licked the left over blood from the ground. In the end Adam tripped over a cave twice and awoke a bear. The furious beast jumped out its home and found Adam’s dead body… it fed on it.

By the time the two siblings have found what happened, it was already too late for the young man…
Meh was furious… A murderous gaze was sent the culprit’s way…
Nosaj had frozen at spot from fright, as he never fully known his sibling’s fury till now. He begged and apologized over and over, but his words weren’t reaching. The furious God cursed his younger sibling changing him into stone.
Yum tried to reason with the twin, but before a word was said, Meh had run away into the tundra, leaving his sibling with the disaster to deal with alone. Without a choice, he stayed behind and collected the remaining soul that was left of Adam into a crystal orb, rather than running after the fleeting God.

The same as her God, Eve also had her own problems. She couldn’t do it alone. There were jobs that needed two people not one. Adam for some reason wasn’t coming back. Before she could even get the fire going, so she could stay warm, the rows of carrots would grow and not picked up, seed and decay. The supplies were running low and only the gift from Meh was still keeping her alive... It seemed that with her love’s death, the world reached the stage of death and rebirth. She begged Yum for help as she couldn’t adjust to the changes, not when Adam was supposed to help her in need and protect her, but he went missing.

Yum heard his daughter’s cry and tried to revive Adam or make a new body for the being. He didn’t want for his daughter to know what happened to her husband, but with each fallen attempt and approach, apparently he could not resurrect him. It became clear to the God, that whatever his sibling created he could not, vice versa what he created Meh could not. Still, Yum didn’t want to lose hope.

Thankfully, a solution was presented to him. Yum noticed that the recovered soul in the orb, The Spirit of Adam wanted to reach Eve. He remembered then the words of his sibling and the duty that Adam had to fulfill… Yum had not choose a path for his daughter back then.
He let the girl hold onto the orb. The orb brightened up in her hand, releasing the Soul. The ghost like Adam took her other hand and whispered. She heard what he said and it caused her to tremble and cry in despair… As their reunion seemed to be in vein, with every second he became more and more transparent…
Yum then said.
“Eve, from now on you will have to become strong. As your lonely motherhood begins from now on. You will be fertile and give birth to the Spirit’s children, as he needs to fulfill his duty that was chosen for him, till you became old. Your daughters will then take your task with the help of the Spirit. The Spirit’s duty will continue as long as the bloodline reminds. But remember my daughter, you will have to guide him back. The winds may blow him away and you have to remind him of you warm embrace and love as only those can keep a ghost close.”
With those words spoken, not long and Eve gave birth to her first child. She didn’t waste time and got to work. The Guarding Spirit could only watch and await for her call.

At this point the God had to leave his daughter to her destiny and look for his sibling.
After searching the whole globe, Yum found Meh in the outskirt on a tundra covered land with a horribly looking, what he called from then on badland. The new land in which the sibling was sitting had presented the exact mood of the God, as he was creating rocks, but they were not those regular ones, they had  either a golden shine to them or a much different color than those grey and round ones.
Yum had no idea how to approach the moody God, thankfully Meh was ahead of him.
“Yum, my dear sibling. Had you know that we have grew old?”
And he did, he nodded, so Meh could continue.
“I had become the god of despair, perfection and immortality. You on the other hand the god of hope, life and passage. I no longer can create a breathing being, nor I’m willing to. Not after what happened with both the creatures that I created. It brightens my heart that you took Adam and saved him. ”
“But Meh! It’s not your fault!” Yum shouted, trying to reach his sibling, but the other stopped him in his tracks.
“Yum, our actions divide us, but we also need each other. I will continue existing by your side, but whatever you will need from me to create I will, but at the cost of seeking perfection. The objects that I’m going to create will only change if the child of Eve choses to do so. Otherwise they will remain untouched and forever lasting. Because I can’t stand losing those precious to me again.”
The God felt a pull by his hand, he looked upon the hand holding his. Yum shared a bright and kind smile his way, Meh smiled as well. They still were a team, they were a family.
“Meh, this duty fell upon us, because we were young and inexperienced. I took the duty of creation of life from you, by taking your Adam. I was frightened, that you’re going to detest me. I want for us to work together, like we always did. The things that’ll create will decay, because they can’t last forever, but as long as they feel alive there is always hope for the better.”

From then on the Gods kept their distance from Eve and her kind, as the children had to grow independent of their Makers.
Still even know we call delicious food yum, while the less delicious meh, with the believe that Meh warns us to eat more nutritious food as we grow. At the same time we blame Yum that our baskets and rabbit clothes get ragged over time. While this happens, the Gods still continue to love us independently.

You probably wonder my child, why altars made to praise the gods are made of three stones?
That’s because we pray not only to Yum and Meh, but also to their younger brother Nosaj.
The youngest of the gods, became a god of mischief, destruction and also determination, but for the most part he stays dormant in his stone form awaiting for a fool… or maybe a friend…  Anyway, most of our brothers and sisters dislike the destructive god, as he brings apocalypse on our lands, but his determination is like no others, but it’s a story for another day…
For now, go my child and make me proud, a good job needs to be done. PRAISE BE.

Last edited by Ella (2019-04-18 23:09:26)

#2 2019-04-18 23:19:29

futurebird

Re: Get a wife, a dog and listen to the story

Welcome to the game! People have been suggesting slings forever. I don't think it will happen but would be happy if it did. That or putting babies in horse carts. Walking a baby and horse home is annoying. Thanks for the story too.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#3 2019-04-19 07:07:08

Jk Howling

Tbh I love all these concepts, though they could use a little more refinement. Unfort I don't think we'll ever get baby slings though. Jason's determined to make us suffer lol.

Also really nice work on the sprites, they're very well made, and fit Jason's style surprisingly well smile

Last edited by Jk Howling (2019-04-19 07:08:17)

-Has ascended to better games-

#4 2019-06-04 18:04:51

Turnipseed

Are you on discord?

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

Board footer