One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2019-04-10 08:20:16

timmeh87

Re: Other off-the-wall ideas for "making you really care"?

AstroTitan wrote:

I'm not sure how to say this without causing offense, but please know none is intended. Jason, I feel that you don't have an accurate perception of the average players in-game.

+1 to this. I think the way the game is actually being played by people right now is not at all the way Jason describes players behaving in the proposed scenarios

Jason, you are a visionary and a dreamer with hundreds of amazing ideas which you have brought to reality.

You have a vision of a game world where certain things take place, and right now it seems you are in the process of finding a way to patch this game to realize this vision. But I don't think any single specific patch with a couple new items (no matter how "magic") is going to significantly shift the "meta" towards these massive story arcs that you imagine. Eventually, hopefully, though many patches this game will evolve into something close to what you wanted.  (I actually like the property fence idea though I am not knocking it)

But I think you chose a very difficult medium for your creativity - video games. I am pretty sure this is intended to be a fun playable videogame and not just a free expression of your own desires in digital form. Either of those things are perfectly fine, but "fun games" need to have certain things in them that players have come to expect.

And I think it can basically be boiled down into "points". "Points" isn't necessarily a number that adds up, it could also mean "achievements" which is a very common thing nowadays for a reason. Name a popular fun game that is commercially successful and you can bet your money that it saves some kind of numerical score in the form of XP, money, completion %, etc, or else it records the progress of the player through a world or a story. Probably both of those, plus random achievements.

OHOL has points too, if you think about it

- Age you manage to live to,
- number of surviving offspring,
- amount of critical resource harvested in one life,
- level of technology advanced in one life,
- lineage length
- number of murdered babies...

Right now you have this listed as game on steam, and you have a bunch of players (like me, admittedly) that are approaching this like its a game. We are breaking this game down into some kind of personal "point system" since there is no official one. The goal of any particular life is to get a lot of points. Getting points or achievements  releases dopamine in the brain which makes you feel good. Then you want to keep playing to get the feeling again. This can even explain griefers. Their own point system is how many people they murdered or how long they can stay out of donkey town and that is what gives them their rush.

To this type of player (me being one of them, but its not every player) nothing else really matters. Story arcs are cool when they happen around you and they dont interfere with work but there is no desire to walk up to anyone and start putting together a "storyline" while I stand there slowly starving. You keep saying "an hour is plenty of time" and in a way it is.. it is plenty of time to GET STUFF DONE, not to talk to people about the imaginary weather. According to my own point system Id have more fun running 300 tiles north to fetch iron we probably dont even need for 5 more generations, alone, that I would standing around talking to people about "village issues".

I know you hate hearing this but IMO an hour is NOT plenty of time, because at the end of that hour, my point-keeping ends. And my points have nothing to do with storylines. If you listen to the people talking on the forums you will see that many of these people feel the same about points. We strip the game down to its engine and try to get more points out of it. Burying the dead? No, it wastes precious iron the cost of which works out to x number of pies which take y minutes and 9.25 berries to produce. Sheep pen? how can we make it in the least amount of time with the least resources, everyone share your hackiest ideas and we will discuss the game code.  Roleplayers? they are a drain on society! Right now, in the game nobody wants to even talk to each other about the location of important resources because we are all busy running around playing slightly different games in our heads. which is a slightly different game than is in your head, Jason.

So I think one thing that should be worked on is some way to permanently keep track of players points. Like remember that thread where people crashed your servers because of their little application that scrapes their stats.. why do you think they did that so much it crashed your servers? people are desperate to know about their own points and compare them to the points of others within a globally agreed upon system.

I personally check my lineage line page obsessively because (you will probably be happy to hear) having a long lineage is important to me even though I never expect to be born back to there. It makes me feel accomplished for some reason I dont understand.

Anwyays, I think one (of many) important step towards making this game have "storylines" is to have some way to tack points or progress across multiple lives. Right now many people are playing their whole preferred meta out within a single life, which means there is zero time for interactions with other people unless your meta is roleplaying (and we dislike them apparently). If people knew that their points and achievements in one life were being collected onto a stats page that everyone can see instead of lost forever at the end of an hour, I think the pace would be less frantic within that hour. (and I still say make it longer than an hour)

I think by rewarding every possible action within the game with meaningless "achievements" will encourage new people to learn a variety of tasks on their own instead of locking into same useless grind of berry farming until we have 8 bushes per person. The "collect all the achievements" attitude can be strong.

I think that removing the lineage ban will make people care about what happens in their town more, and that rewarding players by letting them come back in a way that benefits only them is EXACTLY what you want to do. Its what people are requesting and it doesnt MATTER if they are playing the game to benefit the players around them now or themselves later, at least they are playing the game, and having fun, which is prerequisite for storylines. Getting to live multiple lives in the town they helped build is what the majority of people around here deem to be fun.

Also FFS, we need to be able to talk more than ten words to each other to have deep rich stories, its really annoying to try to time a three part message and guesstimate how long it takes your peers to read each message part before replacing it with the next part only for them to be like "what?" and then you starve. It really discourages talking. Messages can still get longer as you get older but like double the character limit or something, please. Also I instinctively use the numerals 0-9 when i type which results in many incomprehensible messages like "i am years old" and "the resource is tiles north". Why is there this limit on numerals?

AstroTitan wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

I'm also perplexed that there have been no extremely long or even eternal family lines.

I don't think population drop is the central cause:
It never really drops below 60 people.  That's a lot of people.  Enough for at least 3 towns to survive through the night.

From my observations, at any given time out of the total population: (yes this is a bit generalized)
~30% know a few random things well (compost, farming, smithing, or cooking, etc.), but that is about it
~25% know most things or are competent enough in-game to easily figure new things out themselves (probably the majority who are reading this fit here)
~20% are effectively completely new and know virtually nothing (50/50 chance they can tend berries)
~15% don't react when talked to, beyond basic TY or HI, and just wander around eating without meaningfully contributing (maybe just language barrier?)
~10% are intentionally griefing for "reasons"
***A means to know these percentages for real would be awesome, especially if you could correlate it with the end of each lineage***

I have been playing exclusively at night between 11pm and 4am EST for a few weeks and I would agree with everything this person has said.  I personally dislike the general vibe of the towns.. You are either witnessing a murder-fest, or people are walking around gossiping about the last murder-fest, or some roleplayer couple awkwardly asks you to bury them after their last dance (true story).. so I /die out of every big town immediately and play in a situation where i am 3rd gen or less. I would say that I have seen all these types of people. But in the early game they come in waves... First experienced (and some just curious) players run through the forest as eve for 1-10 minutes (they could have been in a town helping keep it alive but the "Eve meta" is popular among experts). Griefers would never try this, they hang out in the towns. And the players who never talk and the ones who depend on stored up food cant survive in an eve camp. So you are left with 2-5 "decent" players spread out across multiple eve camps. I suspect there are exactly the right amount of eve camp attempts at any one time so that the "decent" people who shun society just bounce between them without ever touching the cities (which they probably /died from and cannot even access anymore, like me) That means more than the expected percentage of good players are not in towns, while the people who cant survive well and griefers run amok in the larger towns that have food and weapons lying around.

I played as eve the other night (I play as "onion".. maybe you have met me) that went to 15 or 20 generations, and by generation THREE one of my kids said "beware the nosaj cult" as their last words, and by generation 5 it was a murderfest. I played a legitimate 1.5 hours in other lives and was born back into my own eve town at around gen 7. Two people were murdered in front of me. I only had enough tokens to choose to curse one of the culprits, and I had to play 20 more minutes in a town that now sucked balls in order to do so. Nine or ten people witnessed the murders but only one was old enough at the time to curse the culprit. Are the kids that witnessed the murders going to grow up in this town to avenge their mothers and curse the evil man when they turn 56? no they are going to peace the eff out of there and play in another eve town and forget it ever happened. Overall a crappy experience, this is why I stick to early generations.

I suspect that griefing due to boredom (And probably alcoholism cause honestly, its 3am on a weekday, there's no way everyone is sober) might be worse at night. Its pretty bad honestly. Bad enough that I'm avoiding the whole late-game.

Ok Im finally out of steam. sorry for the rant... Don't get me wrong I like this game a lot and It gets better with each update.

#52 2019-04-10 09:27:13

Glassius

What if people are mostly caring indeed? They are then playing game between social interactions and work. Let's made a game table for caring players

Cs - cost of social interaction
Rs - reward for social interaction
Cw - cost of work
Rw - reward for work

Then we choose what is higher
Rs - Cs <> Rw - Cw

There is no cost of work, as even overproduction of pies or wasting shovel on potatoes is considered by those players as something positive. So, Cw = 0, formula is:
Rs - Cs <> Rw

Rs is positive actions you can get by communicating with other player. If you teach someone to compost or make last girl stay tending bushes, it is a big reward. But there is almost no way to increase it! I can imagine only 3 cases: timing, VIP messages, bonus from lasting lineage.

Timing is currently in game, like:
1. Saving drying bushes by mutual work on bucket, shafts and rope to upgrade well.
2. Timing effects, when on a single cost more can be done in time, like forging, baking, removing bushes.

VIP messages are not implemented. It would be a reward for players to show others, they are experienced and productive. Let it be aureola or golden speech bubble. Then we would know, who is experienced player worthy to rule and coordinate others. Notice, even if he is marked, power would be guaranteed by players, not mechanics.

Bonus from lasting lineages is nearly not implemented: only lineage page. Passing essential information, like resource or tools location, education is leading to better chances for the lineage to survive. If there would be reward for long lineage, Rs would be increased.

Cs is time you are wasting not working and risk you take. If work just has to be done, but it is almost no time sensitive, it is never worthy to request it from others, because Cs > O and Rw = Rs.

But, Cs is a thing we have the bigger way to influence:
1. A lot of time is wasted because even if somebody would listen to us, a player does not know we are typing, run away and we have to chase him. Add typing visual, either/both bubble dynamic speech showing
"." -> ".." -> "..." -> "." or moving mouth.
2. Places we can stay a while at perfect temp having time to communicate. Buildings are expensive, fire can also be cheaper, and usually there is work done there. So, high Cs. Maybe indoor heaters, long lasting. Furniture, in which we can sit/lie with temp bonus?
3. Reduced calories consumption when still. Like, standing still 5 second give bonus 3 seconds more per hunger pip. Loose bonus on any action except talking or on any movement.
4. Allow us to type numbers
5. Reduce sentence length constraints to below 3 years. I have 3 years nephew and he is making longer sentences than it is possible for OHOL adults
6. Reduce calories consumption and food calories value by 2. In the end we will be eating the same amount, but will have more time to talk, work and explore. It has other effects, both positive and negative, I don't want to discuss here though

There are for sure other ways to influence social interaction/work game. Type your own ideas!

Last edited by Glassius (2019-04-10 09:32:02)

#53 2019-04-10 10:07:10

breezeknight

Glassius wrote:

Rs (reward for social interaction) is positive actions you can get by communicating with other player. If you teach someone to compost or make last girl stay tending bushes, it is a big reward. But there is almost no way to increase it! I can imagine only 3 cases: timing, VIP messages, bonus from lasting lineage.

not right
you can increase it by rearing a culture of constructive social interactions
& if i say "constructive" i don't necessary mean "positive", not every positive action is constructive, that's how griefers can hide claiming they do just positive stuff while actually wasting ressources

that's why it's troubling when all the egotists are doing stuff only for themselves, seeing only as far their own thought is reaching & never beyond
all those berry bush expanders no matter what, all those carrot planters & waterers, all those stone wall builders without a thought if the houses are even functional ...

io to rear a culture of social interaction would be needed a blessing system as one option
if it's enough or if it's working well only a test can tell
the curse system did prove itself fairly useful, i think it stopped the spreading culture of relenless murdering
so a bless system might be useful as well

VIP messages are not implemented. It would be a reward for players to show others, they are experienced and productive. Let it be aureola or golden speech bubble. Then we would know, who is experienced player worthy to rule and coordinate others. Notice, even if he is marked, power would be guaranteed by players, not mechanics.

i would like such VIP rewards to come from actual work done, not only from a blessing system

cause same as with the curse system & with the healing process, mistakes & insufficiencies occure, i'd say in 50% of cases,
both curse & healing require social interaction & communication
& it just doesn't work well for numerous reasons, disorganization, lack of experience, lack of care, hunger, limited life span ...

1. A lot of time is wasted because even if somebody would listen to us, a player does not know we are typing, run away and we have to chase him. Add typing visual, either/both bubble dynamic speech showing
"." -> ".." -> "..." -> "." or moving mouth.

YES !!!

- - -

#54 2019-04-10 10:22:54

breezeknight

also

i am against any points system in OHOL
it will make the game gamey

the most strong point of OHOL is it's simulating life
there is no actual points or achievements while living

just because players are brainwashed to expect points in a game does not mean OHOL should have a point system
just move out of the box & learn to play in a different way, be creative instead to be a comfy achiever & points counter

nevertheless
i think steam achievements would be a good middle ground
not as content of the game itself but still telling players if they've done something right & showing them how they can be productive in the game
i am not unhappy without steam achivements but i wouldn't be against them either

- - -

#55 2019-04-10 18:49:27

honikker

timmeh87 wrote:

I played as eve the other night (I play as "onion".. maybe you have met me) that went to 15 or 20 generations, and by generation THREE one of my kids said "beware the nosaj cult" as their last words, and by generation 5 it was a murderfest. I played a legitimate 1.5 hours in other lives and was born back into my own eve town at around gen 7. Two people were murdered in front of me. I only had enough tokens to choose to curse one of the culprits, and I had to play 20 more minutes in a town that now sucked balls in order to do so. Nine or ten people witnessed the murders but only one was old enough at the time to curse the culprit. Are the kids that witnessed the murders going to grow up in this town to avenge their mothers and curse the evil man when they turn 56? no they are going to peace the eff out of there and play in another eve town and forget it ever happened. Overall a crappy experience, this is why I stick to early generations.

It really does come down to different playstyles. I would have loved to be born into those circumstances--I love cults, but it also could have been fun to grow up a cultist whose life's goal is to dismantle said cult, or foil them, or die trying. The Nosaj is part of the game. Some people are going to make it their goal to bring about the apocalypse. If not roleplay, then that would be their "points." How many endstones can they make? How far can they get before someone comes along and dismantles the tower? If they succeed at pulling off the apocalypse, they win. It's probably the only part of the game with a "win"-like result.

Admittedly, I play a lot of RPGs and the occasional MUD and approach this game as such: every life is its own story, even the lives where I leave town to find iron. In one life, my mother said we needed some so I made that my quest. I ultimately returned with a pitiful one iron and raised two children while out in the wild. At the end of that life someone else found iron, and I spent my last moments doing shrooms with one of my daughters and a grandkid. People who worry about points and statistics are akin to those people who play Pokemon competitively and count their IVs and EVs and worry about viability. Their style of fun is my style of boring, and probably vice-versa because I like pampering my digital monsters and get attached to them. It will be fun to see how the roleplayer versus point collector thing develops.

Though roleplayers who stand around and do absolutely nothing are annoying. It is possible to contribute and roleplay.

To address the thread's title though, the only thing that would "make me really care" is if my babies didn't /die all the time. It's really hard to care about the life of your children if you've become numb to seeing them die for no reason of your own. Eventually it becomes difficult to get attached to a kid--you don't know if it's going to /die as soon as you pick it up and, even if it looks like it's going to stay, sometimes they /die after a minute or two, or if you take too long trying to think of a good name to name it. Why bother being hopeful if there's a rather large chance of it being another let down? Why bother caring and getting attached if the kid could just perform their own late-term abortion at any second?

I'm one of those spoopy roleplayers your mothers warn you about before they tuck you in at night.

#56 2019-04-10 21:53:43

Spoonwood

timmeh87 wrote:

I think that removing the lineage ban will make people care about what happens in their town more, and that rewarding players by letting them come back in a way that benefits only them is EXACTLY what you want to do. Its what people are requesting and it doesnt MATTER if they are playing the game to benefit the players around them now or themselves later, at least they are playing the game, and having fun, which is prerequisite for storylines. Getting to live multiple lives in the town they helped build is what the majority of people around here deem to be fun.

I agree with this and it comes as the main reason that I play on low population servers these days.

timmeh87 wrote:

I know you hate hearing this but IMO an hour is NOT plenty of time, because at the end of that hour, my point-keeping ends.

One hour enough?  Don't make me laugh.  There's no way I could build a 1k road in one hour.  I'm not even sure that I could even get the flat rocks for a fifth of a 1k road in an hour, let alone pound them down in an hour.  And that's with a good clothing set, with 5 different types of food on hand, and eating wild foods for yum when I pass them up on a horsecart.  Bigserver towns have a good distance between them also.  Connected towns, I think, also consist of something else that Jason has talked about, but it's not really possible with the time constraints on players at the moment to connect all of the substantial towns on the bigserver.  It would end up as more feasible without the limiting lineage ban.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-04-11 01:49:00)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#57 2019-04-10 22:20:53

WomanWizard

jasonrohrer wrote:

In real life, we don't care about our family, tribe, city, state, nation, or planet because its survival "buys" us a ticket to come back in future lives.

We care for some more abstract reasons.  Maybe biology and attachment.  Maybe Dawkins' selfish genes.  But also social comfort, justice, ideology, and bigger-than-us meaning.  Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

And these reasons affect us directly, just in this one life.  It's not about a chain of lives.  But just in this one life.

I've only really skimmed this thread, so please forgive me if I get any facts wrong or make any suggestions that have already been brought up. But it seems to me that a lot of the suggestions posted here don't really address this particular issue. We are suggesting that by rewarding players outside of their current life with blessings, better family trees, stats, etc. we can make them care more about their current in game family. And this may be true, but it feels about the same to me as only caring about our families because having a successful lineage gives us the chance to be born back later on. I guess I'm not really seeing the fundamental difference between these ideas and that one.

Where's the "real play" in these ideas that you've been looking for to replace the role-play? Caring about our families isn't some magical problem that needs a magical solution like our reincarnating griefers. We just need a better way to represent the "why" in loving our families in a video game.

I think in order to make people really care, in the moment, for their families, you need to reward them, in the moment, for being with their families. Give us some kind of speed/productivity/warmth boost if we've been spending enough time with close enough relatives. Maybe you've seen your mother/child/sibling in the past x seconds and this makes your character happy enough that they can work faster, or we feel warm inside and this spills over into our actual heat bar. Being around our families, in most cases, is good for our mental health in real life, so find a way to mimic this in the game for our characters.

This would encourage families to stick closer together, work on projects together, pick up family trades and pass them onto their kids, etc. What it won't do is encourage a mother to stick her only daughter in the trunk of a car to sneak her into a successful city. I don't think I can come up with an exact solution to that particular problem, but I feel that this at least could move us in the right direction.

Also, as a streamer, I am going to vehemently oppose your super crazy "only get one life per hour" idea, since a false start at the start of my stream would mean an end to my stream before I've even started. How depressing would that be?

#58 2019-04-10 23:02:02

Glassius

WomanWizard wrote:

Give us some kind of speed/productivity/warmth boost if we've been spending enough time with close enough relatives.

May it be .. hugging? I have it in signature

#59 2019-04-11 04:58:49

InSpace

Unique techtree that unlocks certain things like cosmetics or things for a family, that sounds like every life would be more special big_smile

#60 2019-04-11 14:44:05

Booklat1

breezeknight wrote:

also

i am against any points system in OHOL
it will make the game gamey

the most strong point of OHOL is it's simulating life
there is no actual points or achievements while living

- - -

agreed

#61 2019-04-11 15:33:01

InSpace

Make different servers you can choose to join on login where u introduce specific rules like those you listed, would be super cool big_smile

#62 2019-04-11 16:13:45

ProNice

You care about your family because you depend on them for a good chunk of your youth. This gives you time to become familiar with them and learn to trust them.
I experience most bonding with my ingame mom, because she chooses to care for me. The family is a unit where resources are shared and security is provided.
Looking at it that way, small towns are in fact families. The difference is, that you don't have enough time to meet everyone and get to know them. Also its not useful
to know them. As soon as I am able to pick berries for myself, I am independent and can do nearly everything I need to do to survive. You don't need to socialize with your
family to survive anymore. That's where the usefulness of relationships and family bonds end.

Last edited by ProNice (2019-04-11 16:13:56)

#63 2019-12-15 03:39:07

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

I'm also perplexed that there have been no extremely long or even eternal family lines.

Because such is impossible, because of updates and no ability for lineages to survive updates.  The time that a family could survive is also extremely short compared to eternity.  If eternity were a day, a family can survive a mere few seconds of that day (not a joke).

Related thread, see my response to Kinrany especially: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 349#p83349

Danish Clinch.

#64 2019-12-15 04:02:48

arkajalka

Im cool with everything else but 1 dollar one life.

The two families on a server sound really neat idea.

One dollar one life sounds freaking awful to me. If it goes to that its insta quit for me.

Im not in a position where i can just dump money in games so i mostly play free to play games. This game and few other indie titles are the only games i bought recently. Bringging constant cash drain to the game would be tilting. Maybe i'd drop euro/dolla there and there to log in and just make everyone life as misserable as i can to let off some steam.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#65 2019-12-15 06:49:05

jcwilk

Wonder who necroed this thread from 8 months ago, surprise surprise

#66 2019-12-15 06:56:20

arkajalka

oh wow didnt even realize

the F spoonwood...

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#67 2019-12-15 07:20:16

jcwilk

spoony - To be clear, people were saying you should just link to dead threads rather than reply to them... not reply to the dead thread with a link to the live thread.

Last edited by jcwilk (2019-12-15 07:20:31)

#68 2019-12-15 11:55:31

Kinrany

Edit: moved to a new thread: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … ?pid=83346

Last edited by Kinrany (2019-12-15 14:18:23)

#69 2019-12-15 12:15:00

schmloo

I’m not sure if this was said, because it’s a fairly long thread, but in terms of a points system I think having a visual representation of what kind of a player some people are would encourage people to be more open towards trusting other people. People are always on edge about who’s trustworthy and who isn’t, and it usually just results in not trusting anyone as they’ve been punished for being too trusting before.

People with a high curse score are represented as gradiently bad (darkened eye-bags, generally looking very villain-esque), so that having one curse doesn’t cause too much prejudice. This could also open up an opportunity for a very old idea that, iirc, a lot of people liked: blessings. In this context, it works exactly the same as a curse, with a separate token, so it’s given to people who truly deserve it. This would be represented as having more innocent features, like longer eyelashes and pinker cheeks.

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#70 2019-12-15 14:01:25

Kinrany

arkajalka wrote:

oh wow didnt even realize

Oh. Oh well.
Is this still a problem though?

The longest line from this week was 2-3 days long: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=5615710

#71 2019-12-15 15:44:00

miskas

About half the population are carefree males...
This is what we are solving and creating an important "NEED" with it, the need for reproduction.

the mechanic:
-every player over 14 and less than 40 can be married ( will be done with words, like peace/war is made)
-every Male that died unmarried gets a gene score penalty
-every Female that gets married gets a fertility priority boost.
-Females that are not married are still fertile and can breed as they do now.
-every Male that gets married gets extra tool slots. (a multiplier to his current ones or a flat number)
-every child that is born to a married mother also has a father  (displayed in his father's name) (no new aunts, uncles or cousins though, only a father)
-If you are a father your wife and wife's direct offsprings from the marriage and after count double to your Gene score. (they are displayed in gene score as well) if you are a good father you will be awarded x2 but if you are a bad one you will be punished x2.
-family tree display remains as it is, fathers don't appear. (for coding reasons and workload)
-divorce is not an option ( or to be resolve through cursing and killing)

Wanted effects:
to care as a male about your offsprings.
to be incentivized to have a family
to be able to offer more as a male and have a purpose.
for kids to have a better experience as two adults will take care of them.
this will make people interact more, and trade more, males will be incentivized to gain and offer wealth and power to get a wife. (things that make the world keep moving forward)

Last edited by miskas (2019-12-15 16:25:44)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#72 2019-12-15 16:49:27

miskas

Damn Spownwood!  JUST make New Threads and link the old one in your post, DONT REPLAY, You confuse people.

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#73 2019-12-15 17:02:05

Gogo
Banned

Yeah, I was just reading this topic thinking 'is Jason up to something, more changes?' and then realized it's not a new topic! Please Spoonwood, don't do this.

#74 2019-12-15 17:11:33

DestinyCall

Re-reading this thread makes me realize that the recent update really should change so you automatically follow your MOTHER, not your mother's leader.

It would work thematically (your interactions are with your mother and you can't pick a different leader until you are an adult)  and it provides a real in-game reason for mothers to care about their own children more than other people's kids.    By treating your kids properly and proving that you can be trusted, they might continue to follow you as an adult.   If your daughters follow you, then their children will become your subordinates as well, raising your rank.    If your daughters hate you, you will not rise up the hierarchy, because they will follow themselves or choose someone else when they get older.

It also helps to spread out the hierarchy so it doesn't get too "flat" with everyone under the same leader and naturally elevates the village elders into a position of authority over time, as more children are born in the village.   It creates a natural matriarchy, with the oldest women rising toward the top of the hierarchy.  But only if they have been successful mothers who raised other players to also be good mothers.   A woman who has no children would gain no automatic followers.   A bad mother would lose the respect of her children and they would quickly leave her following.   A low ranked old woman was either infertile ... or a really shitty mom.   Men would naturally rank lower than women.   No surprise - this is an OHOL village, after all.   Reproductive power is the strongest force.

However, a man (or infertile woman) could rise up the ranks by gathering his own following or proving his worth through good deeds.  It would be harder to achieve a high rank for a man, because you wouldn't get any "free" followers just by popping out sky babies.   But you also have more time to focus on productive work and political campaigns.   In fact, if you focus your efforts on getting young WOMEN to follow you, then you will gain the benefit of their reproductive status AND a vested interest in their reproductive success.  Their children become your subordinates too.

I think this would be a small but powerful change.    Everyone should automatically follow their MOTHER.  Not their mother's leader.   The first leader is the Eve.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-12-15 17:18:28)

#75 2019-12-15 17:53:02

Spoonwood

Interesting idea Destiny!

Danish Clinch.

Board footer