One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-10 09:44:11

Elsayal

How she makes me grief her town

Hi,

I usually walk in town to help here and there, when I feel I can ease people life. Making stew, help a bit at the forge, feeding sheep, making soil, whatsoever, just giving a hand.

Once upon time, I walked near 9 carrot rows, with two ppl working on it. I begin to remove some carrots, since it's not a fancy job. One woman there say stop, but I didn't see the point. She didn't explain herself, just saying a stop then she curse me.

I can understand a rough call, when at the forge : you need place and you don't have time. But, with carrots ?? Wtf ?

So she cursed me, for moving carrot at the not best place possible. (I finally understand it when she decided to speak and explain herself) and call me a griefer : a griefer is someone picking up carrot, BEWARE, best griefer ever ! After that point my rage was so intense that I start to REALLY grief the town (but I wasn't an expert, and nothing I did really matter in this big city, it would just made life less boring, and have actual goal).

But she called me "griefer" for puting them not in the best place possible, yelling me to stop without explanation, being rude, as if I was killing all sheep. I thought : "Man, you have 9 rows of carrot, 7 are still full : chill, I'm just helping, it's fine".

The result of her call was an angry man who wanted to earn her curse, grieffin the place and two people chasing me wasting more time.

Next time, try to say something like : "Wait I'll show you a better way to pick up carrot." You will get a "better" result.

Finally, I was killed by my own mother, fair enough, without any fair trial. I was a bit sad that my mother didn't have the whole story, so this is for her.

"I go"
"find"
"iron"

#2 2019-04-10 10:37:33

breezeknight

Re: How she makes me grief her town

yeah, some players are quite enraging

i woke today a bear, the town was going to shit, as often the case with people doing some stupid stuff or doing nothing while you try to work your butt off

but unfortunately it looks like the bear didn't get anybody of them
i'm not an experinced griefer otherwise i would have woken the other two nearby as well tongue

- - -

#3 2019-04-10 12:48:19

Bob 101

Kind of reminds of a dude who was yelling at me for shearing sheep. We had a huge surplus of dung and mutton anyway, Guy just thought that yelling at others makes him pro.  Was funny when I asked him what we needed more sheep for, He paused for over a minute.

Townspeople: People are too lazy, Why am I the only person doing things.

Also townspeople: I wish people would stop messing with my farms.

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-04-10 12:59:29)

#4 2019-04-10 13:54:39

Spoonwood

Neither of you seemed to handle that situation well.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#5 2019-04-10 14:09:21

futurebird

seems kind of unfair to the other people in the town to grief it just because one person is annoying.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#6 2019-04-10 14:47:13

Whatever

So if you want to grief a town, just go around call people griefers and curse them until they grief the town for you, its genius.

@Elsayal if you have a problem with one person, than just pick up a weapon and kill him/her.

Last edited by Whatever (2019-04-10 14:50:28)

#7 2019-04-10 14:52:40

MultiLife

futurebird wrote:

seems kind of unfair to the other people in the town to grief it just because one person is annoying.

Yeah. It wasn't her town (referring to topic title). Innocents got crap because of a personal 'fight' here.
The carrots may have been farmed by her, so one should ask if they can help (if you want smooth teamwork and to avoid screwing up a project)...

I had two racists in one life (I was the lone darkest skinned male in town they focused on), I nearly turned myself from a hard worker to a leech so they couldn't benefit from my work. But I didn't do it, because there were like 6 other people around, and they deserved my help. Worked like crazy and the racists starved on their own.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-04-10 14:56:45)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#8 2019-04-10 15:02:49

Elsayal

MultiLife wrote:

The carrots may have been farmed by her, so one should ask if they can help (if you want smooth teamwork and to avoid screwing up a project)...

Well, I can't see a way to screw up a 'pick the carrot' project wink

"I go"
"find"
"iron"

#9 2019-04-10 15:08:12

MultiLife

Elsayal wrote:
MultiLife wrote:

Well, I can't see a way to screw up a 'pick the carrot' project wink

We will never know. :c

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#10 2019-04-10 15:23:14

DestinyCall

The text limit combined with the short lifespan can make it difficult to communicate in-game, clearly and politely.   You need to make an effort to do so, and it is easy to come across as too harsh.   I noticed that you didn't like how she failed to explain why she wanted you to stop ... but did you try stopping and asking her for an explaination?   It sounds like you both failed to communicate properly.   You intruded on her work and ignored her first warning.  She ordered you to stop and assumed you were griefing when you did not listen.

If your goal was to help the carrot farmer, the first step should be establishing if your help is needed or wanted.   Most jobs do not require two people, let alone three people to complete efficiently.    And some people are not interested in stopping to explain their plans with another random person.   You might think you are helping but actually make their life harder.   For example, I will frequently spend my life adding wooden paths around and through the berry patch so the bushes are easier to pick.   Sometimes, I am getting ready to remove a bush and someone "helps" by adding dirt to the languishing bush right before I stake it.   This sets back my work schedule by over a decade, since I now have to wait for that bush to reset completely before it can be removed.   It is incredibly frustrating to deal with ... but the people who do this to me are usually not trying to hurt me or my work.   They just don't notice or understand what I am trying to accomplish.

Instead of ignoring her warning or getting upset that your help was not appreciated, maybe next time you could pause and ask for more information.  You might learn something new.   Or simply find a different task so you are not disturbing that villager's work.   There is always lots to do in the village.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-04-10 16:32:59)

#11 2019-04-10 16:32:24

Villas

I understand your rage.
Yeasterday, was a kid killing geese to cook, they were in a crowded sheep pen and after killing two geese, a guy got extremely pissed with me, saying to stop and calling me griefer, I told him “Im cook” “Geese”, and kept doing my stuff and ignored him, after some seconds he said I was eating pies, I didn’t ate any pie, but said “sorry”. He started to follow me for two minutes while I was killing geese and totally ignoring him. Then he shooted me with a bow and arrow and told people “He is eating pies even after I told him to stop”.

If I had avoided the arrow, I would totally really grief that town like you did. Next life, gave my hard working and being kind with people, made three crowns and made sure to put clothes on a lot of children, just to make them curse that guy, I know it’s anti rp bringing stuff from another life, but my mother, a cousin and a daughter cursed that guy. I hope he was griefing and went to donkey town.

#12 2019-04-10 16:40:46

Whatever

Villas wrote:

.... Then he shooted me with a bow and arrow and told people “He is eating pies even after I told him to stop”.

If I had avoided the arrow, I would totally really grief that town like you did....

So he was right, you were a griefer, good that he shoot you, he saved his village from a griefer.

#13 2019-04-10 16:47:29

Elsayal

DestinyCall wrote:

The text limit combined with the short lifespan can make it difficult to communicate in-game, clearly and politely.   You need to make an effort to do so, and it is easy to come across as too harsh.   I noticed that you didn't like how she failed to explain why she wanted you to stop ... but did you try stopping and asking her for an explaination?   It sounds like you both failed to communicate properly.   You intruded on her work and ignored her first warning.  She ordered you to stop and assumed you were griefing when you did not listen.

If your goal was to help the carrot farmer, the first step should be establishing if your help is needed or wanted.   Most jobs do not require two people, let alone three people to complete efficiently.    And some people are not interested in stopping to explain their plans with another random person.   You might think you are helping but actually make their life harder.   For example, I will frequently spend my life adding wooden paths around and through the berry patch so the bushes are easier to pick.   Sometimes, I am getting ready to remove a bush and someone "helps" by adding dirt to the languishing bush right before I stake it.   This sets back my work schedule by over a decade, since I now have to wait for that bush to reset completely before it can be removed.   It is incredibly frustrating to deal with ... but the people who do this to me are usually not trying to hurt me or my work.   They just don't notice or understand what I am trying to accomplish.

Instead of ignoring her warning or getting upset that your help was not appreciated, maybe next time you could pause and ask for more information.  You might learn something new.   Or simply find a different task so you are not disturbing that villager's work.   There is always lots to do in the village.

You're right.

"I go"
"find"
"iron"

#14 2019-04-10 17:21:17

Villas

Whatever wrote:
Villas wrote:

.... Then he shooted me with a bow and arrow and told people “He is eating pies even after I told him to stop”.

If I had avoided the arrow, I would totally really grief that town like you did....

So he was right, you were a griefer, good that he shoot you, he saved his village from a griefer.

Yeah, it’s the feeling.
When someone isn’t doing anything wrong, but everyone say they are and punishing them. So, why the hell not?

But that guy who killed me gave me a good advice. Next time someone complains for no reason, I will kill them before they kill me and call me a griefer.
If I knew about that, I could just kill him and said “He was feeding babies” “pies”, and go back to my geese cookery, without someone complaining and chasing me cuz I’m killing “pets”.

#15 2019-04-10 20:45:49

breezeknight

futurebird wrote:

1. if it's only one person mildly annoying, no problem
2. if it's one person extremely annoying, it starts to be a huge problem
3. if it's one person additionally to several other people, all annoying, then i am going to suicide anyway

today i just ran across those bear caves & thought - why not ?
i am usually nice enough to remove myself from their lives in cases where some other players would just kill for, i'm pretty sure of it, so ...
people should start being nice as well, otherwise ... lol

Whatever wrote:

So if you want to grief a town, just go around call people griefers and curse them until they grief the town for you, its genius.

not enough to make me even quit, let alone grief

my cases of annoying people are actually mindlessly doing stuff or being extremely rude or greedy, repeadedly or one after another, so several people
i am not even anymore suiciding if people get killed, there has to be some tipping point, i can take some portion of annoying, but well, i am still playing so that it's a game & not that i am being payed to endure abuse lol

- - -

Board footer