One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-04 14:44:59

Turnipseed

Easier signs?

Jason brought up a good point putting signs in front of a fruit tree saying "dont pick the fruit", but currently making signs is a complex and expensive endeavor.

What if we could use charcoal pencils to write a sign that only lasted one lifetime and had to be re written after that?

It would make it much easier to mark specific parts of town. Medic, bakery, pies for sale, mark prices. Currently the most expensive part of trade is the communication.

If we can quickly make a sign that says "bakery" and a sing that says "pies 3 mutton" you can assume when someone walks up with a basket of mutton that you need to get a pie ready for them.

This can all be done without saying a word, but currently such a sign is an expensive time consuming process. Akin to having to build a building from scratch

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#2 2019-04-04 14:45:59

Turnipseed

Re: Easier signs?

Of course people would write profanity on things but with an eraser and a pencil it could be fixed rather quickly

#3 2019-04-04 14:54:26

Whatever

Imagine you could just pick a skewer and draw dirt lines into the ground.
Similar if you take a stick irl and make a dirt line.
These lines should not last long, maybe 3 hours, shorter when people step over them.
And it should only be possible in certain biomes, not in the stone biomes.
But basically the ground is the canvas and with a skewer you can draw on it whatever you want.
The skewer should break after a while of drawing.

#4 2019-04-04 16:35:42

futurebird

I think Jason gave his reasoning for this not being the case. Signs are not that effective and there would be so much sign spam in the game. Just nonsense and things people would ignore. Right now signs stand out and you know it was some one's lifes work to say whatever is on the sign so you read it.

I do think that maybe it's a bit extreme since people can hardly write a town name as it is, but I would not want signs to be "easy"

What about a mechanic where you make a paper note and then it can go on a bulletin board with some kind of thumbtacks. That way it can't be changed just removed. The letters system is a bit... uh... looking for the word... excessive? Byzantine?

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#5 2019-04-04 16:42:27

Turnipseed

Letters stink... mabey a paint brush that requires horse hair. And uses paint?

#6 2019-04-04 18:07:53

olooopo

I would love to have some pictograms added like arrows and a rabbit symbol. So that you can show the way to prairies easily without spending three lives spelling "rabbits west".

#7 2019-04-04 18:52:11

futurebird

pictograms sound wonderful and they work with players who don't speak english as a first language too. And they seem to fit the theme a bit better.

Letters are very exhausting. I agree.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#8 2019-04-04 21:02:36

Tea

We have a charcoal as a pencil. Maybe use that to be able to write on the signs ?

I would really want to have some sort of billboard where you can hang notes with nails. People could click on them and read them. If it's not needed anymore, you could use a knife or some sort of nail puller to get the note from the billboard.

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#9 2019-04-04 21:47:39

PeaGirl

So many sign recipes in other survival games that are actually easy to do, and are mostly in multiplayer games.
Except not here? I think it would give charcoal pencil more meaning if you could draw on signs. Issue though is, that sign would have limited space for seeable text, and you would need to priorize how to say it, not to mention, how it would work out when you poke the pencil on sign.
It would also free lock usage, and possible griefing method. But perhaps it would need to be balanced by pencil actually depleting, the coal shortening and finally being unusable and decay.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#10 2019-04-04 22:01:36

Bob 101

What about paint, It's rarely used.

Board footer