One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-27 14:47:11

Goliath

Knives and Raiding an Impossible Idea?

So spawned into a villages and was able to mass produce steel ingots  maybe about 12 or 15 with the help of the village over an hour.

Stored in a wagon and died.

Spawned into the same village later after a few lives to find this guy claiming to be the master knife maker, now using all the ingots to make knives. [Some elder was mad that anyone suggested to do this and it was better to store ingots for later tool creation.]

However, we manage to outfit a small village of 6 people with knives. All the children get a knife and a backpack.

We eventually raided the "old hags" farm up north. To just have her respawn as my child and constantly reference the farm up north.

Then when she was old enough, she said you remember the old hag? And I said yeah, and was promptly killed by this player..

Raiding is not a solid concept in one hour one life, since anyone you killed during a raid can spawn into your village, silently wait and lurk until given the opportune moment to dish out past life justice.

Being the kind of game that it is, it should have some kind of concept. Where past lives are forgotten.
For Example like The NLR [New Life Rule] in Gmood/DarkRP

Just a thought, was kind of bummed to see such a good village go down to a griefer that we raided previously.

Solid Role-plays up until that point.

Last edited by Goliath (2018-03-27 14:50:18)

Teamwork makes the Dreamwork.

#2 2018-03-27 14:56:07

masamune0

Re: Knives and Raiding an Impossible Idea?

Ahah, it is kinda the same issue I got with a village recently, decent size. People using "old memories". But good luck having a NLR in an official server, that will never happen.

We were sacrificing children (especially boys) to bring wealth and happiness to our family, so sometimes we tell them they have been chosen, they answer that yes they are happy, we tell them that they will bring us wealth and happyness...and so on. Then we sacrifice it with a knife. The other children were like wtf or wow or lol. That was a good time, and a good way to do in reality birth control (not too many children)

But then, after a while, children started to recognize me "oh you kill me", so okay these ones I let them live (obviously a bad choice but I was wondering if they will kill me for revenge).
And then I finally got killed by a bow, that was fun, this village was nice. I think it became a murder feast after my death and he started killing everyone in the village (I rebirthed for ten seconds over there). I don't know the end of the story though, if the village survived, if they killed him, if the tradition stayed or not.

#3 2018-03-27 15:12:18

Aname

Goliath wrote:

So spawned into a villages and was able to mass produce steel ingots  maybe about 12 or 15 with the help of the village over an hour.

Stored in a wagon and died.

Spawned into the same village later after a few lives to find this guy claiming to be the master knife maker, now using all the ingots to make knives. [Some elder was mad that anyone suggested to do this and it was better to store ingots for later tool creation.]

However, we manage to outfit a small village of 6 people with knives. All the children get a knife and a backpack.

We eventually raided the "old hags" farm up north. To just have her respawn as my child and constantly reference the farm up north.

Then when she was old enough, she said you remember the old hag? And I said yeah, and was promptly killed by this player..

Raiding is not a solid concept in one hour one life, since anyone you killed during a raid can spawn into your village, silently wait and lurk until given the opportune moment to dish out past life justice.

Being the kind of game that it is, it should have some kind of concept. Where past lives are forgotten.
For Example like The NLR [New Life Rule] in Gmood/DarkRP

Just a thought, was kind of bummed to see such a good village go down to a griefer that we raided previously.

Solid Role-plays up until that point.

lol i lived at that camp. everyone died. only i the master knife maker and some random boy survived. i raided  my own camp to a new camp where family of me lived just so that guy who killed u had a harder time doing things. i tried to kill him but he just ran and i was too old. and i gave all the knifes to my family and said if u see the killer u can try to kill him.

Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4082492

#4 2018-03-27 15:17:39

Baker

I'd think of that as Karma, It's pretty understandable that he wanted revenge.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#5 2018-03-27 15:52:08

Thorware

Goliath, picture this:

You are born to an Eve. She is clearly a very experienced player, dashing from berry bush to berry bush. She raises you expertly and you both barely survive. You scout out a nice spot near some ponds for a farm and you both migrate your belongings there, farming, building baskets and collecting furs. You eventually have a couple of kids, and the four of you are surviving nicely on this farm. You are tending the farm when all of a sudden a suspicious man shows up. He is saying something about a town to the south, how it's low on food and full of murders, and he wants you to come help. You tell him you want no part of his drama, he is welcome to some carrots but to please leave you alone. He leaves, and soon Mother dies of old age. Some time later, a man with a knife (the same one?) shows up and slaughters your son without warning. You, being an experienced player, run around wildly making it near impossible for him to kill you. He eventually just takes a basket of carrots and disappears. You return to tending the farm, but live in constant fear. The man comes back once in awhile to take more carrots, and eventually starts taking Mom's clothes and furs. Soon two of them show up. At least, you know there are two because the man is talking to someone, and you can hear two sets of footsteps and objects are flying around in invisible hands. The second person is glitched out, invisible. The man is saying something about them being raiders, and he's telling her to be careful where she right-clicks so she doesn't accidentally drop the knife and give it to you. You try to run around as usual, but against an invisible opponent you really don't stand a chance and you are stabbed. Your little family worked your whole lives to carve out that small farm in the woods, and this is how it ends. Roving invisible murderers working together and killing you for no reason at all. You would have been happy to share your carrots after all.

You're about to just quit for the day, frustrated. But then you decide it's worth a peek to see if you respawn among this group of bandits. You spawn in a big village. Your mother quickly gives you a full set of clothing, including a backpack with a knife. In fact, everyone has a knife in this village, and nobody seems to be stabbing each other. She tells you that your job is that of a raider, and there is an old man lecturing everyone about the pride of being a raider. Could this be that town to the south? You get raised to independence, and curious, you grab a basket of carrots and head north. Sure enough, only a short hike away you find your old farm and your own fly-buzzing corpse! Those bastards! Surely you would immediately begin plotting revenge? Especially when you return and mention the small farm you found, fishing for information, and your own mother gloats about murdering the "old hag"? The nerve!

Goliath, I'm sorry I ruined your RP with my revenge, but I hope you see things from my perspective. I had no way to know that this was an RP situation where I should not use memories of my past life. I thought it was just random griefers doing their thing. I agree that respawning on the same server in the same area can cause a lot of problems, especially with loyalties, where you are harboring a secret enemy. I think the game ought to put you on a different server each time you are reborn to prevent this sort of thing from happening. It's nice to be able to continue a thriving village once in awhile when you are reborn into it, but I think that kind of works against the spirit of the game, where you are meant to have this one short life and that's it, and never get to really know what came before or what will come after.

In any case, I object to you calling me a "griefer" that you had simply "raided." From my perspective, you were the griefer, and I didn't bother anyone who didn't bother me. Revenge for being murdered is not griefing, as I see it.

I spent the rest of my life trying to kill what turns out to be Aname for his murderous village, but he is too experienced in PVP and never stood still, so we had a stalemate until he died of old age. He ended up just murdering the last boy in the village who was farming (who I had never attacked as he did me no wrong). Pretty low-life. I went to his new camp often, in fact it was my own "old hag" farm in the woods. I could hear his "family" doing stuff there but couldn't see them, they were permanently invisible and glitched out. I had nothing left to live for so I just stripped naked and went to the camp and stood there, saying I can't see anybody, and someone promptly stabbed me with a knife. Seems about right.

Small world, eh?

Last edited by Thorware (2018-03-27 16:05:12)

#6 2018-03-27 17:22:17

Goliath

That's exactly, how it all went down.
Lol!
Yeah those invisible people really do ruin it.
Naw, it was a solid fun experience, just didn't foresee my children being the "Hags" dead spirit coming back to haunt me!

lol.

No worries, and I'm sorry I was invisible. I hate that glitch.

However I do want to address.
1. We raided the village to the north.
2. During a new life, you are not required to forget past life.
3. What you did by growing up as a child and slaying your own mother over a previous life event is called griefing.
4. Only complex online games like Dark RP/GMOD have rules for new lives, so that you can't return to the place of death or interact with any way with your previous life.
5. So technically no rules were broken, besides the griefing technically.
6. I do feel that if you could of seen us, it would of been a different role-play interaction.

Last edited by Goliath (2018-03-27 17:29:11)

#7 2018-03-27 17:54:32

Aname

Thorware wrote:

Goliath, picture this:

You are born to an Eve. She is clearly a very experienced player, dashing from berry bush to berry bush. She raises you expertly and you both barely survive. You scout out a nice spot near some ponds for a farm and you both migrate your belongings there, farming, building baskets and collecting furs. You eventually have a couple of kids, and the four of you are surviving nicely on this farm. You are tending the farm when all of a sudden a suspicious man shows up. He is saying something about a town to the south, how it's low on food and full of murders, and he wants you to come help. You tell him you want no part of his drama, he is welcome to some carrots but to please leave you alone. He leaves, and soon Mother dies of old age. Some time later, a man with a knife (the same one?) shows up and slaughters your son without warning. You, being an experienced player, run around wildly making it near impossible for him to kill you. He eventually just takes a basket of carrots and disappears. You return to tending the farm, but live in constant fear. The man comes back once in awhile to take more carrots, and eventually starts taking Mom's clothes and furs. Soon two of them show up. At least, you know there are two because the man is talking to someone, and you can hear two sets of footsteps and objects are flying around in invisible hands. The second person is glitched out, invisible. The man is saying something about them being raiders, and he's telling her to be careful where she right-clicks so she doesn't accidentally drop the knife and give it to you. You try to run around as usual, but against an invisible opponent you really don't stand a chance and you are stabbed. Your little family worked your whole lives to carve out that small farm in the woods, and this is how it ends. Roving invisible murderers working together and killing you for no reason at all. You would have been happy to share your carrots after all.

You're about to just quit for the day, frustrated. But then you decide it's worth a peek to see if you respawn among this group of bandits. You spawn in a big village. Your mother quickly gives you a full set of clothing, including a backpack with a knife. In fact, everyone has a knife in this village, and nobody seems to be stabbing each other. She tells you that your job is that of a raider, and there is an old man lecturing everyone about the pride of being a raider. Could this be that town to the south? You get raised to independence, and curious, you grab a basket of carrots and head north. Sure enough, only a short hike away you find your old farm and your own fly-buzzing corpse! Those bastards! Surely you would immediately begin plotting revenge? Especially when you return and mention the small farm you found, fishing for information, and your own mother gloats about murdering the "old hag"? The nerve!

Goliath, I'm sorry I ruined your RP with my revenge, but I hope you see things from my perspective. I had no way to know that this was an RP situation where I should not use memories of my past life. I thought it was just random griefers doing their thing. I agree that respawning on the same server in the same area can cause a lot of problems, especially with loyalties, where you are harboring a secret enemy. I think the game ought to put you on a different server each time you are reborn to prevent this sort of thing from happening. It's nice to be able to continue a thriving village once in awhile when you are reborn into it, but I think that kind of works against the spirit of the game, where you are meant to have this one short life and that's it, and never get to really know what came before or what will come after.

In any case, I object to you calling me a "griefer" that you had simply "raided." From my perspective, you were the griefer, and I didn't bother anyone who didn't bother me. Revenge for being murdered is not griefing, as I see it.

I spent the rest of my life trying to kill what turns out to be Aname for his murderous village, but he is too experienced in PVP and never stood still, so we had a stalemate until he died of old age. He ended up just murdering the last boy in the village who was farming (who I had never attacked as he did me no wrong). Pretty low-life. I went to his new camp often, in fact it was my own "old hag" farm in the woods. I could hear his "family" doing stuff there but couldn't see them, they were permanently invisible and glitched out. I had nothing left to live for so I just stripped naked and went to the camp and stood there, saying I can't see anybody, and someone promptly stabbed me with a knife. Seems about right.

Small world, eh?

Then my cousin killed u lol i gave him a knife and said he had to protect himself against u

and i killed that farmer just because he was providing food for u i tried to talk to him to come to my village but he didnt came so i had no choice.

i regret killing the farm boy tho it wasnt really fair to do that

Last edited by Aname (2018-03-27 17:56:21)

#8 2018-03-27 17:59:58

Yogotronik

If your RP is to kill players then your going to make yourself a target. I enjoy killing raiders and griefers alike. I play this game to help people. It's not the way it has to be played, but it's the way I enjoy playing it. I find it funny when people complain about the raiding mechanics in a game where every act of aggression is a regression to the cumulative work that real people put in to help other players. Of coarse they're going to seek revenge. A lot of work goes into this game only to be shunted for another player's pleasure. Revenge has been my second major driver in this game since the first day an eve shot me with my own bow. I think the main reason I keep playing is to improve farms, pass on crafts, and to kill as many killers as I can.

#9 2018-03-27 18:20:46

TrustyWay

Thorwave, that is me, I started to make like 5 knives in my village and then mug you, then I bring someone to help me raid you, you poor weak old blonde woman. You had the choice to follow me.

I think I really started the raiding thing. I told them that we were a raiding village, I managed to give eveyone a knife and let them on the violence road.

Golihate, was that me that show you the little farm in north that we stole ?  I am the man with beard and wolf hat.

I am really please that I started this in 30-40 minutes before killing myself.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-03-27 18:22:06)

#10 2018-03-27 18:36:33

Baker

This gives me an idea, For all this time I've been trying to keep villages weapon free. Problem with this is when Griefer/Raider does come no one can stop them.

What if I tried making more knives and giving them to everyone, It sounds crazy IK. If someone tries to go on a killing spree, the majority of people will have knives. So the killer is just going to get a bunch of people trying to kill him. IDK, maybe it'll just end up being a bloodbath.

#11 2018-03-27 18:50:40

emucat

Baker wrote:

This gives me an idea, For all this time I've been trying to keep villages weapon free. Problem with this is when Griefer/Raider does come no one can stop them.

What if I tried making more knives and giving them to everyone, It sounds crazy IK. If someone tries to go on a killing spree, the majority of people will have knives. So the killer is just going to get a bunch of people trying to kill him. IDK, maybe it'll just end up being a bloodbath.

You sound like Trump with schools

#12 2018-03-27 19:03:40

veene

Maybe we do need a lot more weapons in villages. But the problem with that would be tons of newbs just grabbing them and initiating killings... the difficulty of crafting the weapons is what keeps only experienced players using them. If you can make a knife, it means you've already played and grasped enough of this game to at least semi-respect hard work and not grief like some of the kids. Griefing is left for really low IQ players who are probably griefing because they hate their own real life.

#13 2018-03-27 19:18:14

Aname

Baker wrote:

What if I tried making more knives and giving them to everyone, It sounds crazy IK. If someone tries to go on a killing spree, the majority of people will have knives. So the killer is just going to get a bunch of people trying to kill him. IDK, maybe it'll just end up
being a bloodbath.

i Always make a knife if there arent any knifes around just to protect myself and sometimes i make knifes to playsers i trust and if you give evryone in the village a knife there wont be really a griefer because the most players arent griefers.

and if you make youre city weapon free you give the griefer more chance to kill the whole village bcuz making bow and Arrow is easy for a griefer

#14 2018-03-27 19:40:06

Baker

Aname wrote:
Baker wrote:

I Always make a knife if there aren't any knives around just to protect myself and sometimes I make knives to players I trust and if you give everyone in the village a knife there won't be really a griefer because of the most players aren't griefers.

and if you make your city weapon free you give the griefer more chance to kill the whole village because making bow and Arrow is easy for a griefer

Exactly. In theory, If we mass produced knives to arm every villager it should make it harder for mass murderers. Alternatively, we don't arm kids until they are older, watch them for a bit to see if they are contributing then arm them.

#15 2018-03-27 19:49:30

Goliath

TrustyWay wrote:

Thorwave, that is me, I started to make like 5 knives in my village and then mug you, then I bring someone to help me raid you, you poor weak old blonde woman. You had the choice to follow me.

I think I really started the raiding thing. I told them that we were a raiding village, I managed to give eveyone a knife and let them on the violence road.

Golihate, was that me that show you the little farm in north that we stole ?  I am the man with beard and wolf hat.

I am really please that I started this in 30-40 minutes before killing myself.

yeah, you are the knife master then. You said a village was north and we should raid it for resources.
So we went north and the old women was there, who claims she couldn't see her attacker but just kept moving.
I'm not complaining about the raiding mechanics or the pvp mechanics. I'm complaining about a player spawning as your child then griefing you as they grow up. It does take a lot of work to build anything, that is found easily when building a fire bow.. lol..
Try creating a knife from scratch. That's why we mass produced knives only to have a griefer spawn and we outfitted him.

A "Griefer" is a term here as defined - "A griefer is a player in a multiplayer video game who deliberately irritates and harasses other players within the game, using aspects of the game in unintended ways."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griefer

Raiding a village is part of the game mechanics, respawning as their child and slaughtering the town doesn't really seem like what the developer had inmind when he meant limited resources/pvp..

#16 2018-03-27 21:31:38

Yogotronik

I disagree with you that it’s abusing the mechanics.
You think your ending a life, but your act of aggression persists with the player.
One hour one life doesn’t end with any single death.

Your actions persist across many lives, often with the same players over again.
I see no reason why revenge shouldn’t persist in the same fashion other than your perspective of how your role playing.

The way I see it, the child who took revenge was role playing too.

Last edited by Yogotronik (2018-03-27 21:37:52)

#17 2018-03-27 22:19:52

Goliath

Yogotronik wrote:

You think your ending a life, but your act of aggression persists with the player.

I see no reason why revenge shouldn’t persist in the same fashion other than your perspective of how your role playing.

It's not my perspective. They added a weapon to pvp in a game with limited resources. So how does a player retain his past life knowledge when spawning in the rival village.

I'm sure this concept escapes you, simply because you havnt been able to outfit a tribe with knives. Since you're arguing for reincarnation and retaining past life knowledge and grieving, I'm not going to continue. This aspect of the game is broken.
Raiding is not viable in this current state of the game Considering tasked with gathering limited resources and only given one hour to attain, it unless you pass that torch onto yourself in another life which sort of defeats the point of one hour one life..

thankfully this game is in alpha and many things are yet to change. Hopefully including the pvp and reincarnation system because at this point raiding/pvp is broken and only truly utilized by the cheaters/glitchers/exploiters/grieves.

I could remember every life I ever had and just destroy all rival tribes through this broken mechanic of rebirth. Surely nobody will know as long as I don't call anyone a old hag and realize which tribe were in.
Then again always going to be someone exploiting game mechanics then justifying it as part of roleplay Yogotronik

Last edited by Goliath (2018-03-27 22:22:36)

#18 2018-03-27 22:44:56

Yogotronik

I see your point of view, I believe you fail to see mine. Reincarnation is a hard mechanic of the game, this is indisputable and it's not going to change.

Immaculate conception and retaining your experience after death is a reality of the mechanics as much as raiding and pvp.

Your argument seems to be that the consequences of raiding makes the mechanic broken.

I say taking revenge in another life is not only an appropriate response, but an equalizing mechanic.

People complain it's too easy to go around murdering people, but in all fairness it goes both ways.

Last edited by Yogotronik (2018-03-27 22:48:42)

#19 2018-03-27 22:45:21

Baker

Honestly Goliath, Your cool and all but you gotta let this go. You can't force people to roleplay let alone make them use NLR, It's stupid. At the end of the day every character is controlled by a real person, That characters life may have ended during that raid but the person behind that screen will still be pissed off that some guy came in and killed him. Of course, most people are going to try and get revenge when given an opportunity.

You should have considered this when you started attacking villages unprovoked.

#20 2018-03-27 22:51:11

TrustyWay

Yogotronik wrote:

That is really childish to kill a village because they were better. I mean, you're in a better village, with better tech and stuff, why didn't you just told yourself that you were in a better place. There is no reason for you to avenge except rage and jalousy.

If I had to unleash my hate like you I will just kill mom all day long for killing me.

Your avenge sounds like strange dude. You sounds like a dude that absolutly want his 1.0 ratio kill

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-03-27 22:55:39)

#21 2018-03-27 22:58:55

TrustyWay

Yogotronik wrote:

I see your point of view, I believe you fail to see mine. Reincarnation is a hard mechanic of the game, this is indisputable and it's not going to change.

Immaculate conception and retaining your experience after death is a reality of the mechanics as much as raiding and pvp.

Your argument seems to be that the consequences of raiding makes the mechanic broken.

I say taking revenge in another life is not only an appropriate response, but an equalizing mechanic.

People complain it's too easy to go around murdering people, but in all fairness it goes both ways.

We were raiding non related family. We didn't kill our familly at home, so we weren't griefing like you. We have nothing in common with you.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-03-27 23:01:34)

#22 2018-03-27 23:02:40

Yogotronik

TrustyWay wrote:

That is really childish to kill a village because they were better. I mean, you're in a better village, with better tech and stuff, why didn't you just told yourself that you were in a better place. There is no reason for you to avenge except rage and jalousy.

If I had to unleash my hate like you I will just kill mom all day long for killing me.

Your avenge sounds like strange dude. You sounds like a dude that absolutly want his 1.0 ratio kill

"Revenge is a dish best served cold"

This is really amusing to me Trusty, especially your measure of "way better" for your murder tribe.

It's okay to get upset over a feeling of loss. I'm sure it would have been really fun to have played with you guys.

I would have been against the killing, but we'd have good times no matter how it played out.

The amusing part is the role you guys played in the taking of others, and then claims of unfairness when your tribe goes down in flames.

I see it being a consequence of your actions, but I understand it wouldn't be playing by the "rules" as you understood them.

They added the pvp mechanic to this strange little game though, and in your case, for better and for worse.

Last edited by Yogotronik (2018-03-27 23:03:44)

#23 2018-03-27 23:10:51

TrustyWay

Yogotronik wrote:
TrustyWay wrote:

"Revenge is a dish best served cold"

This is really amusing to me Trusty, especially your measure of "way better" for your murder tribe.

It's okay to get upset over a feeling of loss. I'm sure it would have been really fun to have played with you guys.

I would have been against the killing, but we'd have good times no matter how it played out.

The amusing part is the role you guys played in the taking of others, and then claims of unfairness when your tribe goes down in flames.

I see it being a consequence of your actions, but I understand it wouldn't be playing by the "rules" as you understood them.

They added the pvp mechanic to this strange little game though, and in your case, for better and for worse.

Did you even read me ? You spawn in a better village, old hags was an old lady naked with 10 carrots, it is so hard for you to live im a better place, are you so socially disable that all you find to hide your rage is trying to justify your griefing.

For the moment, we can do nothing against old memories except that the one that got pwned calm down and accept to protect his family, where ever he was born which I always do

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-03-27 23:12:55)

#24 2018-03-27 23:17:34

Yogotronik

TrustyWay wrote:

Did you even read me ? You spawn in a better village, old hags was an old lady naked with 10 carrots, it is so hard for you to live im a better place, are you so socially disable that all you find to hide your rage is trying to justify your griefing.

For the moment, we can do nothing against old memories except that the one that got pwned calm down

I will step away after this comment, but I am enjoying this exchange.

I did read your comment Trusty, I also noticed you not only assumed my emotional state, but that I was a participant in any of this.

I will grant you the argument that you had more, and they had less.

But perhaps, the measure of value that I was making wasn't in the possessions you had, but what you chose to do with them.

All the same, I enjoy this game as much as this conversation we're having now. And I enjoy it even more because of everyone who participates.

I appreciate you all, even the villains.

Especially the villains.

Last edited by Yogotronik (2018-03-27 23:29:37)

#25 2018-03-28 00:56:39

Thorware

Trusty, you seem to be thinking Yogotronik was the old hag. He was not. I was. He cannot speak for me. He is simply responding to the story as an interested outsider.

For the record, I did not "slaughter the town." I killed exactly one person, my mother. I left everyone else alone, on purpose, except Aname who sparred with me for the rest of my life. A one-for-one exchange seems to me to be a reasonable revenge, not an out-of-control griefing spree against a superior village out of jealousy.

As I understand it, there was infighting after my single attack, and this caused the town to wipe out. I don't know how this played out as I had already run off for awhile.

Last edited by Thorware (2018-03-28 01:00:38)

Board footer