One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-27 23:44:53

Jk Howling

Ghost Baby - A strange occurence

So I lived a life last night, as I often do a few times a week. It was an early town, gen 4, the type I really enjoy playing. Being around 6pm in my timezone [or 9pm EST], it was getting a little late in the US, so understandably there weren't many people.

It was just me and my mom, as far as I could tell. My mom seemed like a very capable player, and had that slightly pessimistic attitude I've come to associate with veteran players. She complained of her village of idiots- now corpses- and considered whether it was even worth it to raise me.

I got to work pretty quickly. We had a small bit of iron, but no tools. She tended the farm a bit, and I started smithing, getting together a hammer and an axe fairly quickly to keep our fire going, while easily staying alive thanks to the two crocks of stew near the smithy. There was a beautifully sized stew farm nearby, easily enough to sustain a small population.

After receiving a backpack thanks to mom's hunting forrays, I ventured out a bit in search of more iron and some rope- specifically, enough for at least a shovel, so we could start an adobe pen. Preferably enough for a chisel and adze, for the slightly better tower base pen.

I returned to find my mom's bones. Apparently she got hit by some mosquitos while also out foraging for iron, and made it back to camp only to find me missing. Unfortunate.

I eventually found iron, and settled down to craft the 7 pieces I tracked down into tools. I had two boys while I forged, both who instantly /died, likely before I could even pick them up [thus not resetting my cooldown.. yay.] Had another girl, who ran immedietely and suicided on a boar. Double yay.

I was 38 years old, assuming this would be the end.. despite the three crocks of stew I'd made, all the tools I'd forged, and the decent sized farm- this place was doomed.

And then it happened. I had a girl! Ecstatic, I quickly scooped her up, and clumsily typed out as fast as I could: "please stay!!" She remained in my arms, living and breathing, and I let out a breath, then continued on to explain: "It's just me. Every other baby suicided. This place is good. We have food. Please stay."

She agreed to this, luckily! I held her close and stayed near the fire. I named her Zinnia. Zinnia Radish.

"Wh/at Do/es Th/at Me/an/?" she asked in clipped baby speech.

"It's a flower, I like naming my girls after flowers."

"Wh/er/e do/es it co/me fr/om?" she continued on. This question confused me. "Is it Eng/lis/h?" she clarified.

"I think so," I responded. "Not sure. They're very pretty though."

I became old in the midst of this conversation, but quickly set her down in the berry field and started hand-feeding her, telling her to F when she was at 2 pips. We talked a bit more, and she grew hair, signifying she could now grab things on her own.

I showed her the tools I'd been working on, explaining that they were nearly finished. I just needed some straight shafts. Then we could get started on the sheep pen.

"I'll get sha/fts" she chirped. I hesitated at this. She was my only girl- our entire lineage was hinging on her survival. But we had some maple trees, just a couple screens east of camp.. there were wild berries there, and it wasn't far, and there weren't any animals in the area that would bother her.. She'd be fine, surely?

"That'd be helpful," I responded, sending her on her way.

And then: nothing. I fiddled around camp for a minute or two, waiting for her to return with the shafts. But she never did. Worried she'd ran into some fate I hadn't foreseen, I checked the information tab of the Awbz mod.

0 Fertile relatives.
0 Related Girl Children.

I was pissed. At the same time, I set out in the area I'd sent her in. A small part of me prayed that maybe the mod was glitched. At the very least, I might be able to find bones, see what killed her..

Nothing. No bones, no animals, no picked branches. No sign that she had gone there, even though I'd very clearly seen her do so. I thought, at the time, that maybe she died behind a tree. I gave up.

I typed a very angry message as my last words, and ranted a bit on the discord. You can find the rant easily if you search for "fuck this game" from:Jk Howling. Scroll down a bit and you can even see where I'm briefly confused by why it didn't show my final daughter, who survived til hands. I figured maybe it was lagging, or maybe she had actually survived, and didn't take much notice.

Now here's for the creepy parts, added up:

>She didn't appear on the awbz mod. I can't confirm if she did before she vanished, but she definitely wasn't showing up after she went off in search of shafts.

>She didn't appear in my lineage. Every other baby I had [all suicides] did.

>She doesn't appear in the family tree. At all. Searching up "Zinnia Radish" only one appears, and that's from over 3 weeks ago.

>No bones, no body, no sign that she'd died when I looked for one.

At this point I have 3 theories, in order of what I think is more likely:

>Jason was fucking around with me with some VOG shit
>I dozed off and daydreamed it [at 6pm. Right after dinner. I usually go to bed around Midnight, for reference]
>Both the Awbz mod and the Family Tree fucked up at the same time, in that single instance, and the girl starved behind some tree for w/e reason

-Has ascended to better games-

#2 2019-03-27 23:56:52

antking:]#

Re: Ghost Baby - A strange occurence

my theory
> your real daughter was stolen by an elf and then you got stuck with a halfling... which after a few years discovered decided to move out and returned to its real creator!

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#3 2019-03-28 00:16:17

Spoonwood

Jk Howling wrote:

After receiving a backpack thanks to mom's hunting forrays, I ventured out a bit in search of more iron and some rope- specifically, enough for at least a shovel, so we could start an adobe pen. Preferably enough for a chisel and adze, for the slightly better tower base pen.

That seems rather strange to say *if* mean the all too common a half-bell tower base pen.   Using a shovel multiple times is easier than using multiple bowls of water.

The half-bell tower base pen also uses more iron than an adobe oven base pen and is slower to make.

A full-bell tower base pen though has sides that come as more difficult/impossible to remove once stable though as I understand things, so it's a bit different.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2019-03-28 00:19:06

happynova

I dunno how the Awbz mod works when it comes to counting your fertile relatives, so I can't speak to that, but I'm pretty sure it's a family tree glitch, probably related to the missing anscestor thing that sometimes shows up.  I lived a life sometime last week that never showed up on the family tree at all.  Didn't come up under my e-mail address, or when searching on the character name.  I was able to find my sister, but no indication that she'd ever had a brother with my name.  She had an unknown ancestor above her, too.

It was all quite annoying, as I really wanted to find out what happened to the person who killed me, but I didn't catch their name and now I'll never know whether justice was served or not.

#5 2019-03-28 01:04:39

BlueDiamondAvatar

There are glitches in the family tree server that hit individuals from time to time.  I have a long standing issue open in github, which Jason is stuck on.

Sounds like your daughter's life wasn't recorded.  And you hadn't checked AWBZ until after she died behind a tree.
Sorry for your loss. 

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues/223

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#6 2019-03-28 02:20:11

fragilityh14

that is both sad and spooky

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#7 2019-03-28 05:58:07

futurebird

I'm legit creeped out by this. Was she really ever there at all?

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#8 2019-03-28 08:43:26

MultiLife

Only time my character was wiped out of existence was when servers crashed. For some reason my character didn't show up in the Family Tree at all, while others did. My guy was wiped out of existence with nothing left behind.

At least he was caught on a video by Twisted, haha. big_smile

Maybe this happened to Zinnia, her connection to server died or something? In my case it was a mass crashing.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-03-28 08:45:08)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

Board footer