One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-03-28 01:38:35

fragilityh14

Re: Public data available again (separate server)

Oh yeah the log data was a complete surprise to me, and i was on the original list. But I thought it was cool, I didn't consider the privacy more than being kind of surprised

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#27 2019-03-28 07:51:32

Whatever

Léonard you are taking stuff i wrote out of context and i have the feeling you are misunderstanding what i am saying.

Léonard wrote:
Whatever wrote:

Léonard, when a player gets born it will be logged, with an id (this id is server specific) and a salted hash.

I know. Did you even bother to read my post in your own thread?

I wrote this and the next sentence (you dident quote), to explain how a private system could look like, but you seem to understood it as an insult to your intelligence, i am sorry for that, that was not intended.

Léonard wrote:
Whatever wrote:

Then it would be no longer possible to see how many people played on a certain day. You could see how many lives were lived but not to how many players they belong.

We're just talking about public logs here.
Jason might very well be keeping track of this privately and share those type of numbers with you.
You don't need to share the entire data of everyone to make up global stats..

Whatever wrote:

You can no longer create stats for the average player, because you dont know what lives belong to whom.
These are all anonymous stats that have nothing to do with a specific player but you need player ids (unique hashes for each player) in order to make them.

So your argument is that you loose the possibility to make up stats about random people who we have no idea who they might be and what type of play they have?
That doesn't sound very useful.
You might as well make global stats or take random sets of data to make up stats at this point..

I will happily trade this ability for proper anonymity.

Besides, like I said above, you could still keep the public logs anonymous but have Jason's lineage server calculate stats and report them to you without sharing the complete data set of individuals or identifying anyone.

Whatever wrote:

It would mean that jason has to invest work to make something worse. (therefore more anonymity)
In the same time he could work on new features or improve other things. He already wasted some time to make the lineage email thing more secret.

This is a terrible argument and I'm honestly tired of seeing it everywhere.
Yes, Jason could use the time he'd take to implement my suggestion to cater to your preferences instead.
It just boils down to "in my opinion, x is better than y" so of course "you're wasting your time by doing x instead y" is part of that.
You're not adding anything to the discussion by saying that. It's just your opinion.

Jason could make all the stats by himself ofcourse. But again this would take even more time from him. And would limit the stats to only what jason does with them.
But that is just my opinion, right? And therefore doesn't matter. And that public stats are an issue is not an opinion?

Léonard wrote:
Whatever wrote:

this has never happened before.

That's also a poor argument to make.
There is nothing wrong with preventing bad things from happening.

Did anyone ever steal your car IRL? No? Then why do you bother putting it in a garage and locking it?

"Nationwide in the United States in 2012, there were an estimated 721,053 motor vehicle thefts...."
thats why you lock your car. I said "this has never happend before" and not "this has never happend to me before"

Léonard wrote:

I still remember this post which shows people were already concerned with this sort of stuff.
The argument also applies with sharing a single lineage link. Why should that allow you to make a bunch of stats about me or watch my playtimes/whatever?

Whatever wrote:

Most people dont care so much about playing anonym

I don't think I'm the only one here who thinks you making up stats about random people without asking them seems a bit iffy.
Here's an example post, just for the sake of backing what I say.

Here you are referring to 2 links, to make it look like many people are concerned about this?
One of those links is even referring to the email problem which has since been fixed by jason.
What about all the people that want to see their stats? and are happy about them? there are much more, just look in the stats thread i made.

In short: You believe having stats anonym is very important, even it means to sacrifice new features for it and limit the possibility for people to create their own stat tools. I disagree with that, i think functionality is more important, anyways, this is just my opinion, we could discuss this forever i dont think it would go anywhere.

#28 2019-03-28 08:09:00

Whatever

Also Leonard, here is something funny, you already compromised your secret hash by posting your stats, look:

Léonard wrote:

==========================================
Date 2019_01_01 - 2019_04_01
==========================================

------------------------------------------
firstEntry: Wed, 02 Jan 2019 06:13:34 GMT
lastEntry: Sat, 16 Mar 2019 14:16:13 GMT
------------------------------------------

You dident think this trough, this is enough data to find out your secret hash, hahahahaha
Oh and my hash is also compromised, so you can find it out if you want, and then stalk me smile

In the end i dont even care if jason changes it. If he wants it to be more private so be it.
I had fun making the tools, and showing it to people.

#29 2019-03-30 18:48:08

Léonard

Whatever wrote:

Here you are referring to 2 links, to make it look like many people are concerned about this?
One of those links is even referring to the email problem which has since been fixed by jason.
What about all the people that want to see their stats? and are happy about them? there are much more, just look in the stats thread i made.

Here, you are inferring on my intentions simply by quoting a part of my post out of context while both blatently ignoring the point previously made and complaining that I take stuff you say out of context, perhaps to make me look bad?
You are also referring to a thread you made in which people were intrigued by the stats you produced (in which there was zero discussion about privacy until I posted my own stats), perhaps to make it look like nobody cares about privacy?

I'll bring up the relevant parts of my post (since you, perhaps intentionally, didn't include them).

Léonard wrote:

People can both be concerned about their anonymity/data and at the same time enjoy sharing stories with others.
[...]
What's wrong with saying "I don't want people to be able to access all my data simply because I shared a single life".

In short, it's not because people liked their personal stats that nobody cares about privacy.
And this can actually be proven by looking at both me, who appreciated your efforts to make a tool but who was still skeptical about the privacy issue, and Destiny, who also appreciated the personal stats in your thread but called you out once you started posting stats about specific people in threads that were not even relevant to it.
And this is why claiming "nobody cares about privacy" because "everybody liked my stats" is a dishonest argument to make.

Whatever wrote:

even it means to sacrifice new features for it and limit the possibility for people to create their own stat tools.

People can still make their own stat tools if they try it on their own data.

Whatever wrote:

But that is just my opinion, right? And therefore doesn't matter. And that public stats are an issue is not an opinion?

Here, again, you completely miss the point and are pretty much putting words in my mouth at this point.
I never said your opinion didn't matter or that you didn't have an opinion.
I said you saying Jason would be wasting his time by not conforming to your opinion is also part of said opinion.
The point being that you were not adding anything to the discussion.

Whatever wrote:

to explain how a private system could look like, but you seem to understood it as an insult to your intelligence

If what you wanted to achieve was explaining how a private system could work to everyone, why did you call me out specifically?
Especially knowing that I had already proposed a solution.
The only thing I could interpret from this is that you wanted to explain to me something that had already been explained by me.
It just looked like a complete waste of time, which is what I pointed out by saying that I knew, not that you had "insulted my intelligence".
This had nothing to do with ego.

Whatever wrote:

we could discuss this forever i dont think it would go anywhere.

You're right.
This wouldn't go anywhere as long as you keep missing my points and argue about stuff I didn't say.
And also as long as you keep saying things that don't add anything to the discussion, or try to infer on my intentions to make me look like someone I'm not.

Whatever wrote:

"Nationwide in the United States in 2012, there were an estimated 721,053 motor vehicle thefts...."
thats why you lock your car. I said "this has never happend before" and not "this has never happend to me before"

Saying "this has never happened before" is blatantly wrong, then.
I would post statistics about the amount of people getting stalked by malicious people online but I think you get the picture.

Whatever wrote:

You dident think this trough, this is enough data to find out your secret hash, hahahahaha

Really?
You're going to taunt me for knowing you can breach my privacy if you wanted?
Your posts adding nothing to the discussion is decidedly a theme.

You're pretty much proving the point people who are concerned about their privacy make.
I don't want people like you coming here to taunt me about having data about me.
That's just ridiculous. What have you accomplished by doing this?

Board footer