One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-27 20:07:28

Portager

A New Solution to the Father Problem

Many people, myself included, want to see fathers in this game. There are likely many reasons that this mechanic has not been offered, firstly as I understand it, Jason is concerned about incestuous relationships within the game. I have also heard that there is a concern that adding fathers would ruin the whole concept of the game, which originates with eves. There is also a concern that adding fathers might mess with the fertility calculations, and with the family tree system.

That is why I am proposing a new form of fatherhood, through an adoption mechanic. I have played many, many games where I (as a male character) have adopted the children of deceased or neglectful mothers and raised them as my own by feeding them berries and managing them at the fire. Some on the discord will remember that a few weeks ago, I saved half a dozen children at a single camp where a team of elderly women was grabbing kids and intentionally starving them. Just a couple of days ago I saved my younger brother after our mother died while she was weaning him. Many other players also adopt children and save them, and I think it is time for the game to treat this as a formal mechanic rather than an informal one.

I suggest that it be possible for a male player (and non-mother female player) to adopt a child by picking it up and saying.

"I adopt XXX"

This child will then become listed as your adopted son/daughter, and will shift to your family tree. No incest, no fertility equation changes, no dual parenting; this is meant to be an easy solution for us and Jason.

In order to prevent griefing and people stealing babies to adopt them, I suggest that the actual shift in the lineage should not occur until a baby has matured into childhood. If the birth mom wants to prevent the adoption, all she will have to do is pick up her child and wean them.

#2 2019-03-27 20:40:05

Roosty knife

Re: A New Solution to the Father Problem

I remember myself lives, as a male character, where i raised abandoned children. Sometimes they were calling me "Dad". I gaved 'em a lot of attention, gifts and even teaching. Good times. 

It's an interesting concept. Have any ideas how to represent this system on family tree?
Try to suggest it here

Last edited by Roosty knife (2019-03-27 20:41:36)

Makin' Bacon Burritos.

#3 2019-03-27 21:50:02

GreatShawn

Creativty! Rainbows! Sprinkles! Cupcakes! Toothbrushes!

#4 2019-03-27 21:51:12

BlueDiamondAvatar

Portager, I've had similar thoughts.

I think to make this as simple as possible fore Jason - it could be added as a link to your family tree description.  Right now if someone murders you, it adds a field that indicates who murdered you.  It should be simple to add a field that shows you were adopted by xxx, and that you adopted xxx.

I am not a programmer, but my guess is that replacing the birth mother with some other person would be extremely complicated and difficult for Jason to implement.

Also, I'm pretty sure english is not your first language, so I have nothing but respect as I calmly inform you... weaning is when you STOP breastfeeding a baby.  it's the process of getting them to eat solid foods. The typical American euphemism  for breastfeeding is "nursing" the baby. 

Best,

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#5 2019-03-27 23:39:28

fragilityh14

a big upside of this would be a peaceful way to link family lines, you can currently only do it through murder.

it doesn't overall seem like this matters enough to devote time to though

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

Board footer