Dickbutt

#2 2019-03-23 16:23:50

breezeknight

Re: No update this week?

GDC

#3 2019-03-23 16:25:43

BlueDiamondAvatar

I don't expect an update this week.  Jason has been at a game developer's conference all week, and mentioned that he did not have access to his usual computers for testing code out before unleashing it on us.  That's why horsecarts and other things are still wonky from last week.

It will be interesting to see if anyone can revisit the Many Eves/cletown as the eve spiral gets wider and wider....

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#4 2019-03-23 16:44:04

Mushroom

Ah, I see...
Guess I won't be playing much this week. Hope we're getting some big-ass update soon

Dickbutt

#5 2019-03-24 16:04:03

Anandamide

BlueDiamondAvatar wrote:

It will be interesting to see if anyone can revisit the Many Eves/cletown as the eve spiral gets wider and wider....

If we assume a near constant rate of eves, The distance from the center(from my understanding of the eve spiral) will grow logarithmically, in that the relative jump from the center decreases over time. There is no asymptote, an infinite number of eves will give you an infinite distance from the center, but the distance grows more slowly for each new eve. If you assume an "involute of a circle" spiral(each point of intersection on a line drawn out from the center will have equal distance from its neighbors), then it will grow by 2x the distance between those points every time it makes a complete turn. The inital small turns only take a few eves to complete, but the latter big turns take many eves to complete. Im gonna try to make a model for it, but its hard without exactly understanding the spiral, so ill update after I take a look at the code, because I have a feeling its not exactly an involate of a circle spiral, and may instead be a special archimedian spiral, or something completely different. It could be the eve jump distance is applied to both the last eve and the eve that was on the previous turn around the same angle, or there is a predefined slope for the spiral and the new eve is just a jump distance along that spiral, in which the behavior is entirely dependent on what that slope is.

#6 2019-03-24 18:34:15

fragilityh14

BlueDiamondAvatar wrote:

I don't expect an update this week.  Jason has been at a game developer's conference all week, and mentioned that he did not have access to his usual computers for testing code out before unleashing it on us.  That's why horsecarts and other things are still wonky from last week.

I had a game that was near the many eves town yesterday. It was pretty sparsely populated and there was little food, i was from an outpost a bit north. I never did see what was at the north end of that road. I have to wonder if that road is traveling N-S faster than the spiral goes round, I wouldn't be surprised.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#7 2019-03-25 03:27:19

BlueDiamondAvatar

Anandamide wrote:

If we assume a near constant rate of eves, The distance from the center(from my understanding of the eve spiral) will grow logarithmically, in that the relative jump from the center decreases over time.

Thank you for this reminder, and I'd be interested in any further analysis you produce!  smile
Did you see the maps of the spiral that were posted in the forums a few months ago?  Or Chard's video of births over time?

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#8 2019-03-26 14:34:16

golmock

I'm curious about this, too.
I keep waiting and check the update log.
If Jason is too busy to update, I wish him to write a notice on the news board.

Last edited by golmock (2019-03-26 14:34:42)

!eve painter! You will have a color name.
I can teach you if i'm not busy. just talk to me.

Board footer