One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-21 13:16:12

Uncle Tensticks

We Had a Trade Route Last Night!

I was born into an interesting village that had built it's first building and was in the transition process from Eve Camp to town. We had a bakery as the center of town and the blacksmith was being built directly to the NW of the bakery (trying to see if anyone else was here).

My mom tasked me to run the bakery and have kids. I was excited. However, by my 20th year, an unfamiliar lady wandered into the kitchen and announced that she had been to another camp 4 times already! This immediately peaked my interest and I had to go visit. I followed this friendly stranger into the wilderness.

We ran DUE SOUTH EAST for less than 60 seconds and arrived at our very close neighbor's village. They were slightly more advanced than my town, but were very friendly and welcoming. I even had a knife in my apron and nobody took issue or seemed suspicious.

I started shuttling people back and forth from town to town. The generation below me started building roads. My brother told me that we needed iron and steel and that our neighbors needed meat.

I loaded up cart with four baskets full of rabbit meet and made the quick journey. I knew I could make the trade. I showed up, goods on cart and asked if we could trade for iron and steel. As expected, everyone was a little unsure as to what to do and people were kind of wandering off. I was deferred to speak with the Town Smithy and the baker!

They both said they would be happy to do the deal. I kept it simple. I will give you all of this rabbit, baskets included and i'll take some of this steel/iron. They said okay. I respectfully took about 1/3 of what they had(probably 24 bars in total, I took 8).

They started cooking a ton of pie. I brought the iron and steel back to our village and everyone was ecstatic. The blacksmiths got to work.

Roads were being built towards the other village when I ceremoniously tried to kill a bear outside of our kitchen and died happily of my wounds at the ripe old age of 50.

Great job to everyone involved. Very fun hour!

#2 2019-03-21 13:19:30

CrazyEddie

Re: We Had a Trade Route Last Night!

It's cool that it happened, but it's a fluke. Despite Jason's desires, long-distance trade is worse than pointless, it's a waste. Everything can be produced locally. Hauling things long distances is a waste of time, labor, and food.

#3 2019-03-21 13:22:55

Whatever

CrazyEddie you are just mad because this would not be possible with your suggested area ban. tongue
Now that we have much less range on the area ban we can make cool stuff like trading and building roads between villages.
If one villages has too much of an item and another has to few of it, trading can be worth it, and benefit both sides.
One village might be close to a big savanna with many rabbits, another next to some iron mines.

#4 2019-03-21 13:36:13

Averest

Also trading is fun! Remember fun?
I was just in a town and we had a note that said another town was a short distance to the NorthWest. We were really low on females because two were murdered. Tons of wonderful guys though. No lineage name.

#5 2019-03-21 14:01:26

Booklat1

That was a shit trade for the bigcity though. Rabbit pies are great but 8 iron is worth much more, a 2/3 trade rate is definitely bad for the guys with iron.

its a very cool story and you actually helped your city a lot probably but city folk should have asked for furs too

#6 2019-03-21 14:44:02

BlueDiamondAvatar

Uncle Tensticks wrote:

I started shuttling people back and forth from town to town. The generation below me started building roads. My brother told me that we needed iron and steel and that our neighbors needed meat.

I loaded up cart with four baskets full of rabbit meet and made the quick journey. I knew I could make the trade. I showed up, goods on cart and asked if we could trade for iron and steel. As expected, everyone was a little unsure as to what to do and people were kind of wandering off. I was deferred to speak with the Town Smithy and the baker!

They both said they would be happy to do the deal. I kept it simple. I will give you all of this rabbit, baskets included and i'll take some of this steel/iron. They said okay. I respectfully took about 1/3 of what they had(probably 24 bars in total, I took 8).

They started cooking a ton of pie.

I was one of the kids working in the bakery in Love town, when you arrived with the baskets of skinned rabbits.  I was thoroughly unimpressed with the value of your proposed trade, and said as much, by telling you that we didn't need that much meat.  I gave you a tentative okay just because I'm one of those who likes the idea of trade happening.  So let me give you some customer feedback...

That was a terrible deal for us.  We already had tons of skinned rabbits piling up to the west of the bakery - because our bakery was on the edge of a large savannah, with easy access to rabbits for clothing.

One of the things I learned during your visit was that we had no smith, so I took up smithing.  The guy I thought was a smith was really just a carpenter showing up to use the steel tools littering the smithy.  Turned out the other child baker stopped baking, too. We ended up having a ton of toxic babykilling roleplayers take over the bakery, and no pies were made with that meat during my lifetime.  So I have no idea where you came up with this  narrative that "they cooked a ton of rabbit pie".

I had a fun and useful life, but that terrible trade deal was a sour note.  I even had to cart the random baskets of rabbits out of the smithy into the bakery.  Maybe next time think a little more about the value of the trade to the other town, so it can be fun for everyone?   Just because your brother thinks other people would like your useless leftovers doesn't mean they will.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#7 2019-03-21 15:02:00

Whatever

If you get born in one town, you get area and lineage banned from it.
There is a better chance you get reborn into a neighbouring town.
So if you do something good for another town you increase their chance of staying alive and your chance of being able to get born into it in a later life.
Then you can also go back to "your" village, you started in.
Dont think this is my village and this is your village. The whole server is the village and everyone can work together to keep it as nice as possible.

#8 2019-03-21 15:09:03

Uncle Tensticks

I sell 20% APR rates IRL, sorry man

#9 2019-03-21 15:10:13

Uncle Tensticks

will give better answer soon! just jokin around.

#10 2019-03-21 15:25:44

Booklat1

Whatever wrote:

So if you do something good for another town you increase their chance of staying alive and your chance of being able to get born into it in a later life.
Dont think this is my village and this is your village. The whole server is the village and everyone can work together to keep it as nice as possible.

Except one side gets harmed in this trade. Period. 12 rabbits don't help a village in the way 8 iron do, and that iron doesn't regenerate like rabbits.

Your last lines are either naive or presumptuous, its not about my village/your village, its about fairness and actual utility and thats what people are pointing out. Trade can be made for fun and even some minimal utility but taking a shitton of iron from one village is always harmful.

#11 2019-03-21 15:40:53

Whatever

Booklat1 wrote:
Whatever wrote:

Except one side gets harmed in this trade. Period. 12 rabbits don't help a village in the way 8 iron do, and that iron doesn't regenerate like rabbits.

Your last lines are either naive or presumptuous, its not about my village/your village, its about fairness and actual utility and thats what people are pointing out. Trade can be made for fun and even some minimal utility but taking a shitton of iron from one village is always harmful.

If one village has 24 iron and they give 8 iron to another village that has none. Than this is a huge help for the small village and the big one will not suffer much.
This will increase the chance of both villages staying alive, since the poor village now has iron and if the big one dies out the small one can send some females over and bring it back to live.
This is not about fairness, it is about surviving and building a civilization, at least that is how i interpret the game.

#12 2019-03-21 17:36:51

Uncle Tensticks

Hey man, in all seriousness, I had no idea what the value of things were.

I was told you guys needed rabbit and we needed iron/steel (I don't blacksmith, not sure how to use any of it or how tough things are to obtain).

We'd have given the rabbit to you for free, but I wanted to make a trade! It was 8 items in all. Probably 4-5 of the silver looking bars that clink onto eachother and then a few larger half-rock looking pieces that might have been black or darker gray.

I hope that both towns are still going and would love to start again near one of them so I can help both out.

#13 2019-03-21 19:26:30

voy178

Love this, is the villages still alive at this time?

#14 2019-03-22 00:07:42

BlueDiamondAvatar

Ok, so there's a reason I didn't just blast Uncle T with, "Are you kiddding? We don't need no skinned rabbit!"

One, I was still a kid, so length of statements was severely limited.
Second, As I said... i LIKE the idea of getting trade routes going.  I want to encourage this kind of thinking and wasn't inclined to immediately shut it down.
Third is context...

Most people haven't played the game that much.  If you haven't played a ton, or just haven't become a forum nerd who reads the labor intensity calculation threads that have popped up from time to time, the relative value of skinned rabbits and steel ingots is not clear.

But here's my take:  There really aren't any number of skinned rabbits worth a single steel ingot. Skinned rabbits build up as excess waste around the edges of eve camps, much less developed towns.  Rabbit furs are far more valuable for clothing.   On the other hand, iron is rare and non-renewable.  It spawns in dangerous places, and is labor intensive just to get it to your camp.  But then you process it through several steps to get to the point of having a steel ingot.  Steel is precious, skinned rabbits are litter.  The baskets were worth more than the rabbits.  Easily.

You took eight steel out of the twenty-four we had  (Honestly, I ran away because I didn't want to watch how many pieces you took...).  If I'd felt like I could bargain with you (again, I was young and vocabulary limited at the time...) I would have asked for your horsecart in exchange for four steel ingots.  There's a ton of complex labor that goes into a horsecart, but there's also a ton in making pieces of steel.

But the other context is not only did we have twenty four (!!!) steel ingots in a town with plenty of duplicate tools, we had twenty to thirty plus pieces of iron waiting around to be processed.  We had so much I couldn't imagine using it up in a lifetime, unless Tarr arrived and started building the oil processing system and a car/plane.  (I tried to make some progress on oil drilling and only succeeded in wasting charcoal and water, as I fumbled around with the Newcommen machine.)

About the villages still existing...To my knowledge, the Love village is dead. The family line died out several hours ago.  I'm not sure what family Uncle T was in -- Was it Omega?

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#15 2019-03-22 02:52:03

Uncle Tensticks

BlueDiamondAvatar wrote:

Ok, so there's a reason I didn't just blast Uncle T with, "Are you kiddding? We don't need no skinned rabbit!"

One, I was still a kid, so length of statements was severely limited.
Second, As I said... i LIKE the idea of getting trade routes going.  I want to encourage this kind of thinking and wasn't inclined to immediately shut it down.
Third is context...

Most people haven't played the game that much.  If you haven't played a ton, or just haven't become a forum nerd who reads the labor intensity calculation threads that have popped up from time to time, the relative value of skinned rabbits and steel ingots is not clear.

But here's my take:  There really aren't any number of skinned rabbits worth a single steel ingot. Skinned rabbits build up as excess waste around the edges of eve camps, much less developed towns.  Rabbit furs are far more valuable for clothing.   On the other hand, iron is rare and non-renewable.  It spawns in dangerous places, and is labor intensive just to get it to your camp.  But then you process it through several steps to get to the point of having a steel ingot.  Steel is precious, skinned rabbits are litter.  The baskets were worth more than the rabbits.  Easily.

You took eight steel out of the twenty-four we had  (Honestly, I ran away because I didn't want to watch how many pieces you took...).  If I'd felt like I could bargain with you (again, I was young and vocabulary limited at the time...) I would have asked for your horsecart in exchange for four steel ingots.  There's a ton of complex labor that goes into a horsecart, but there's also a ton in making pieces of steel.

But the other context is not only did we have twenty four (!!!) steel ingots in a town with plenty of duplicate tools, we had twenty to thirty plus pieces of iron waiting around to be processed.  We had so much I couldn't imagine using it up in a lifetime, unless Tarr arrived and started building the oil processing system and a car/plane.  (I tried to make some progress on oil drilling and only succeeded in wasting charcoal and water, as I fumbled around with the Newcommen machine.)

About the villages still existing...To my knowledge, the Love village is dead. The family line died out several hours ago.  I'm not sure what family Uncle T was in -- Was it Omega?

Yes sir, it was Omega. I completely get what you're saying and also just liked the idea of trade. I don't know if I would have given you the cart, but I definitely would have bartered back and forth for with you (mostly for fun) and traded everything within reason.

I have not made it back to either town yet but hope to some day find my way back soon.

#16 2019-03-22 02:53:03

Uncle Tensticks

and thank you for not blading Mr. T in any capacity.

Board footer