One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-20 15:56:48

futurebird

I tried yumming "seriously" and it made a big difference!

In my last game I focused a bit on the yum chain. It's not an enjoyable task but I was surprised how much it helped me to eat MUCH less often. So, what I don't understand is if you have a longer chain does this mean that you can wait longer to eat between *every* food later in the chain? Because if this is the case I think I understand spoonwood's point. Once you are at say 12 YUM you get to keep using that 12 over and over so resetting it is a large loss.

In any case I was able to make 4 sets of tires in that life because once the YUM was high enough I didn't need to think about food as much... kind of counter intuitive.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-03-20 16:07:30

Peremptive

Re: I tried yumming "seriously" and it made a big difference!

ok you got to 12 yum, what are you going to eat that is easily available? if there's a bunch of foods, that means the previous weren't easily available, and so on.
yumming allows you to do a lot *if* the different foods are there but you don't really save on pips.

#3 2019-03-20 16:09:45

futurebird

But you have so much more time to work and concentrate on a task without running for food every moment.

Last edited by futurebird (2019-03-20 16:09:57)

---
omnem cibum costis

#4 2019-03-20 16:31:55

Anandamide

If the foods are readily present. To get past 10 in a developed village usually means you are eating fresh corn and carrots, or are making berry+carrot/rabbit pies, which have been shown mathematically on another post to not be worth it on the yum. Even worse, to go higher means someone is making tacos or baked potatoes or some other crap. If someone has made all of those "bad" foods, then you should only be yuming on them if you are trying to get some girls. You couldn't possibly be saving time in town over just keeping a couple mutton pies in a pack or near your work station. Also, any time you may have saved with your yum was probably lost on the person who had to make a bunch of different foods vs just making more stew or mutton pie. *another valid use of yum is increasing elder productivity, but even then, I rarely ever push past 5 yum, and try to time it so that I hit that at 59. When you're old, you should be doing kid tasks or enjoying your retirement, and talking to your kids and grand kids to keep the social order.

Last edited by Anandamide (2019-03-20 16:34:15)

#5 2019-03-20 16:52:08

DestinyCall

Yes, a short yum chain is a nice little bonus, but not that significant.  In contrast, a longer chain can get really impressive.   Each time you eat a new food, you get bonus pips that are not part of your regular hunger bar.   This effectively extends your bar, allowing you to go longer between meals.  So if you are an adult with a 20 pip hunger bar and you have x13 yum chain, after eating a new food, you could have 20 pips plus 13 pips, for a total of 33 pips.  The extra pips are tracked by a number that appears below your hunger bar with a + next to it.   This number will slowly deplete and must be gone BEFORE you start to lose pips off your hunger bar again.   If the village has a decent variety of foods and you take the time to seek out, or occassionally make, some of the less common foods, it is quite possible to get up to higher numbers over the course of your life.   

Personally, I tend to not bother with yum that much as a child.   Too hard to find or make a diverse, kid-friendly diet.  As an adult, I will work on various projects and only yum if it is convient.  Most of my chains are short, because I will let the chain break if it takes too long to find a suitable new food.  However, when I start to get old, I will yum more seriously than I did as a young adult.  If you are able to maintain a high yum chain in your fifties, it makes a huge impact.  You can keep working and not have to deal with a short hunger bar slowing you down.   This is where yum really shines for me.

If I happen to be female and the village has population problems, I might aim for higher yum and cook a wide variety of yum-only foods, but it usually isn't my focus.  I do like to cook and making yum stations for the village can be fun. 

If you need to improve your personal yum chain, there are many foods that can be easily made from available resources for yumming.  Most of these foods are not very efficient for wide-scale production, but with a high yum bonus, they can give enough pips to cover the cost, so I consider them "yum-only" foods.   For example, make a small fire and cook some popcorn.  Let it burn to coals and roast some rabbit meat and a goose (if you can find one).  Cook a bowl of soaked beans on the coals.  Then set down a flat rock and make some omlettes.  Before the fire dies, make a plate of wheat tortillas.  Combine beans and tortillas to make burritos.   Later on, when you have a nice long chain and options are running low, bake a set of variety pies - carrot pie, carrot rabbit pie, berry pie, and carrot berry pie.  Hunting wild turkey, domesticating a cow for milk, and growing potatoes/green beans are some other options.   Some of these foods, like milk and turkey, are worth doing even without yum.   While other foods, like green beans, raw corn, and berry pies are only really worth it if you are committed to high chains, preferrable +15 or higher.   Once your chain is greater than twenty, the yum bonus provides enough bonus pips to make up for even the crappiest food, but it isn't easy to get that high.   I recommend aiming to use predominately good low-cost, easy-to-massproduce foods to build your chain early on and reserve the less efficient options for later, if you need them.

#6 2019-03-20 16:53:27

BladeWoods

If you time a yum chain when you're old you can keep doing everything you were doing when you were young.

#7 2019-03-20 17:56:53

Booklat1

what foods did you eat?

#8 2019-03-20 18:15:03

Spoonwood

Thanks for the mention and the post futurebird.

DestinyCall wrote:

If you need to improve your personal yum chain, there are many foods that can be easily made from available resources for yumming.  Most of these foods are not very efficient for wide-scale production, but with a high yum bonus, they can give enough pips to cover the cost, so I consider them "yum-only" foods.   For example, make a small fire and cook some popcorn.  Let it burn to coals and roast some rabbit meat and a goose (if you can find one).  Cook a bowl of soaked beans on the coals.  Then set down a flat rock and make some omlettes.  Before the fire dies, make a plate of wheat tortillas.  Combine beans and tortillas to make burritos.   Later on, when you have a nice long chain and options are running low, bake a set of variety pies - carrot pie, carrot rabbit pie, berry pie, and carrot berry pie.  Hunting wild turkey, domesticating a cow for milk, and growing potatoes/green beans are some other options.   Some of these foods, like milk and turkey, are worth doing even without yum.   While other foods, like green beans, raw corn, and berry pies are only really worth it if you are committed to high chains, preferrable +15 or higher.   Once your chain is greater than twenty, the yum bonus provides enough bonus pips to make up for even the crappiest food, but it isn't easy to get that high.   I recommend aiming to use predominately good low-cost, easy-to-massproduce foods to build your chain early on and reserve the less efficient options for later, if you need them.

I think I agree with everything in this paragraph.  The part about cooking multiple foods with one fire I agree with also, though, of course, it takes some time to set that up.

Anadamide wrote:

To get past 10 in a developed village usually means you are eating fresh corn and carrots, or are making berry+carrot/rabbit pies, which have been shown mathematically on another post to not be worth it on the yum.

Let me think here... popcorn, berry (1), berry in a bowl, sauerkraut, carrot pie, bread, bowl of skim milk (6), mango slice, buttered bread, bowl of turkey broth, bowl of whole milk, bowl of stew (11), rabbit pie, mutton pie, bean burrito, turkey slice on plate (15).  So, no, I don't think your claim holds.  Then again, I'm not sure what you mean by a 'developed' village.

I second Booklat's question.

Also, I agree with DestinyCall that a short yum chain is a nice little bonus, but not all that significant (though it could be for fertility... that aspect comes as trickier to figure out).  Intentiaonlly yumming as an Eve to save time might not be worth it, and probably isn't, though it naturally happens to some extent.  Yumming as 20th generation much more clearly comes as worth it.

Bottom line: yumming comes as more powerful in terms of time saved the more you can do it.  It also can encourage you to cook food, which almost always ends up good in this game.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-03-20 18:15:25)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#9 2019-03-20 18:42:47

Anandamide

And how many of those are in one spot, dont move and you dont have to travel around much to find them? A developed village is different from a mega city or whatever, they have compost and some iron tools maybe but that doesnt mean they have milk. And if you have milk and mutton pie, then yumming in town unless elderly or a child is even less valuable. At the end of the day, your time saved on eating with yum comes at the expense of someone elses time on creating all the foods for your chain. I did say there are definitely exceptions, but there are few tasks in town that an adult cannot accomplish by just keeping some mutton pie near their station, and taking a half second to take a bite and then go on. Yum for more babies, or to stay productive when old, not when you're young and limber and just don't really need it. I bet anyone who just keeps a pie near and eats that is way more productive than someone with 20 yum. Also, you can get tons of benefit out of a short chain, if you get to five on pies and stew and cooked rabbit and other big food, then you can eat a carrot, a berry and a berry from bowl and end up with +21 extra pips. Its probably way more efficient to just break there and start again on foods that are time and resource efficient.

#10 2019-03-20 20:01:51

futurebird

in rough order

berry
berry bowl
bread
popcorn
wild carrot
burdock
cactus fruit
wild onion
mutton pie
rabbit pie
rabbit carrot pie
egg
whole milk
cooked rabbit
cooked mutton
bread and butter
skim milk

Then I was old and didn't see anything I could eat that wasn't too rich.

---
omnem cibum costis

#11 2019-03-20 20:05:41

Booklat1

DestinyCall wrote:

While other foods, like green beans, raw corn, and berry pies are only really worth it if you are committed to high chains, preferrable +15 or higher.   Once your chain is greater than twenty, the yum bonus provides enough bonus pips to make up for even the crappiest food, but it isn't easy to get that high.   I recommend aiming to use predominately good low-cost, easy-to-massproduce foods to build your chain early on and reserve the less efficient options for later, if you need them.

Technically thats only if you disconsider all the existing number of bites in each of those foods. All units of a potato or bean plants need to be eaten at high (potatos at impossibly high) yum for it to pay off resource-wise. Individually it is very powerful to eat those but each remaining bite can't be guaranteed to be optimized.

Mangos are great after pumps and I dont think we see enough milk and butter either, these should be staples.

#12 2019-03-20 22:57:01

fragilityh14

Have the yum skeptics actually experienced the majesty of having a 15 yum chain? it is _ridiculously_ convenient. Resources are not sufficiently scarce that it's a big deal if I eat a corn as part of a big chain.

People act like you are spending all your time running for yum foods, but once the chain is up you tend to pass available foods before your bar goes down.

and advanced village generally has 10 or more food types readily available.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#13 2019-03-20 23:13:09

Spoonwood

Anandamide wrote:

At the end of the day, your time saved on eating with yum comes at the expense of someone elses time on creating all the foods for your chain.

1. Seriously go out and get the baby bison, would you?  It ends up worth it even without yum.

2. No, other people preparing and cooking food is not an 'expense'.  People don't really cook for only one person's yum chain.  Cooking increases the total number of pips available.  All that matters in the game ultimately comes as protection from predators (human or animal) and having enough pips to survive and reproduce.  Cooking makes it so that people have enough pips to survive, and yumming can help in that process.  Yumming also helps with reproduction for females.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-03-21 04:37:18)

Danish Clinch.

#14 2019-03-20 23:14:47

Oblong

I personally hate yum. It never boosted what I intended to boost, which was being fertile. It seems like I get babies without a yum chain way more often than when I do chain.

I don’t talk in-game unless it’s dire.

#15 2019-03-20 23:51:36

futurebird

I'm no longer a skeptic. It is worth the extra time to work and be efficient. Did I mention I made all those tires? I would have done maybe one set tops without the yum. Also I was able to give my backpack to a lad who wanted to go for rabbits with out being scared that I couldn't make it to the sulfur and back without starving.

That is a win for the town in my view. Carts with tires, and extra gasket and a lad hunting rabbits.

I don't really like YUM as a game, but the reward for playing is worth the extra thought.

---
omnem cibum costis

#16 2019-03-21 00:20:35

Lily

I wonder where there is going to be a cook job, where a person just spends their entire time making and organizing different foods. It isn't so efficient if you are just doing it for yourself but if you are doing everything in batches, and you set out all the food in area, organized so everyone can quickly find many different food types, then the entire village can benefit.

#17 2019-03-21 01:09:25

BlueDiamondAvatar

I actually did specialty yum cooking just the other day, to give the famliy a boost to survive the late night fertility drop. We had plenty of mutton pies and stew, and a stable water supply, but I knew the family would benefit from some more yum chain foods being stocked in the nursery.  I made three different pies, omelettes, roasted rabbit, goose, and mutton, made popcorn, and harvested two bowls of green beans.  I loaded several baskets around town with two different pies and a roasted meat, so the ladies would always have a variety of foods available.  Got a lot of compliments and thanks, and had an easy time recruiting a young lad to follow in my footsteps.  In spite of a murder spree, we went from two fertile and one girl child to four fertile and four girl children by the time  my character died.   If you played in the Drea family yesterday (Tuesday), it was because August Drea was yum cooking Monday night. 

And I can confirm everything futurebird said in the first post.  I don't generally focus on making yum food, but whenever i get above eight or so, it makes a HUGE difference in the ease of getting work done.  I think those of you who harp on food efficiency are losing sight of the fact that food efficiency is completely unimportant once a town has a base stock of high "calorie" foods and a couple horsecarts.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#18 2019-03-21 15:57:40

fragilityh14

the only time yum is really annoying as a "mini game" is looking for a different pie flavor.

The truth is, the anti-yum people are so upset about people making inefficient foods,  but that's always going to happen. If you see an inefficient food has been made, the best thing you can do is use it in a yum chain. Sure, you shouldn't grow potatoes, but if one is already lying there and the oven is hot, it's a hell of a lot less wasteful if the bites are 11 and 12 on a yum chain instead of 0 and 1

A bowl of green beans may be wasteful, but once it's already sitting on the ground the best thing you can do is eat it as part of a yum chain.

BTW, for people who don't do this: I pretty regularly have two major yum chains in a life (incredibly helpful when elderly). In an advanced village and if you have reason to go into the wilds anyway. these build for a long time. So for the most part, you're not trying that hard to seek out yum foods. I might make a quick popcorn if i don't have a yum food right on me, but it doesn't take much more than just eating the foods that are available. If you have a pack you can just grab containable yum foods as you see them.

I am a big sauerkraut and stew producer, which are worthwhile yum camp foods, though those are both considered good foods generally.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#19 2019-03-22 12:30:40

Spoonwood

fragilityh14 wrote:

Sure, you shouldn't grow potatoes, but if one is already lying there and the oven is hot, it's a hell of a lot less wasteful if the bites are 11 and 12 on a yum chain instead of 0 and 1

Potatoes come as the best low-pip cooked, portable food.  Last night I ended up getting born to a mother out building a road (I had actually brought a potato in the previous life via an Eve chain out there, but I didn't plan on using them this way... I would in the future though).  I think my first meal was a wild berry, though I might have just waited until down one more pip.  Then I ate a bite of a potato.  I didn't have to run back to camp for a food that wouldn't overfill my pip bar.  I had some yum going early.  And I had pies available to eat later as an adult, since I hadn't eaten one as a child.

Potatoes can help children when young and out in the wild, so a mom planning to raise a child out in the wild might want a potato.

Danish Clinch.

#20 2019-03-22 15:24:22

Booklat1

Spoonwood wrote:
fragilityh14 wrote:

Sure, you shouldn't grow potatoes, but if one is already lying there and the oven is hot, it's a hell of a lot less wasteful if the bites are 11 and 12 on a yum chain instead of 0 and 1

Potatoes come as the best low-pip.

So, the worse? low pip means bad. breaking shovels is horrendous. 60 food sucks and even with 5 people yumming at 50 potatoes are worse than milk (same food but cost 2x soil and shovels). The concept of eating potatoes on trips is more than fine, feels great even, but growing potatoes for this extreme corner case is a waste, and a big one.

If your city isn't pilling up iron and milk you shouldn't grow potatoes. The alternative of having one corn plant making 5 types of food for less cost and higher base pip is just better. Milk, skim, butter, popcorn, extra corn for raw/stew. Milks alone produce 10 bites of each milk, so 10 people at +2 yum, potatoes only help 5 people reach +2. With the butter thats 8 people at +3  and adding popcorn 4 people at +4. Making more popcorn with the extra corn allows 8 people at +4 or can be eaten to get you alone to +5, either way higher yums than potatoes can offer, at lower cost, with higher base food produced. Potato only advantage is the 2 bites per food which is nice for backpack food but you could also just stuff burrito and bread in a bag.

Corn reigns supreme even with yum. A single corn plant produces 5 yum or more (if people milk fast). This is so OP that endgame it doesnt really matter if potatoes are grown after. If you like yum corn plant>>> potato plant

#21 2019-03-22 17:18:39

mric

If you put 3 pies in your backpack then go to work.
Do you spent less or more time on work than if you take time to up your yum?

I think yum is helpfull when conditions are scarce but in a developed town I think it is not.

#22 2019-03-22 23:25:36

Spoonwood

You didn't finish the quote Booklat, or consider the context.  Low-pip is good while you are young.  Low-pip as an adult can also help with getting your yum up before a trip.

Danish Clinch.

#23 2019-03-22 23:37:34

antking:]#

A great way to increase yum as a female is to spam feed babies!  that's  what I do when I'm try to get a high yum for a journey!

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#24 2019-03-23 00:49:01

Thaulos

Funny how whenever someone mentions yumming, potatoes are immediately mentioned.

Strawman anyone?

#25 2019-03-23 01:44:25

Booklat1

its not to bash on potatoes, I'd genuinely like them to be good again, it DOES feel great to have one in my bag, but they cost so so much.

And its not like im against yum either, which is why i keep suggesting corn 5 yum combo.

Board footer