One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-25 21:08:15

TrustyWay

Is the game over ?

I mean, how can we play the game and see where it goes if there is always a mass murderer no matter what, he will respawns until he finds a good spot to kill everyone. Is this dude like 11y/o screaming minecraft players ?

Legacy is doomed. All we can do is scavange in a town to rebuild a bit and then colapse again because mass murderers will one day spawn in there.

We will never have cities nor name it because it is useless.
We will never have traditions or anything that will survive, because mass-murderer
We will never have stories.
We will never have anything that legacy has.

This game is doomed to fail, because of adults with kiddo mind

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-03-25 21:10:37)

#2 2018-03-25 21:47:59

stickyflypaper

Re: Is the game over ?

My small village family was all murdered except for me. In my next life I was born in a big city, just as I became old enough to take care of myself, everyone was murdered again, including me (I suspect it was the same person).
It was sad, but at the same time still feels like part of life. Sometimes there are murderers. But yeah, they probably have too much power and ability to screw everything up.

But I think it isn't completely hopeless. There just needs to be implemented in the game some way to deal with these situations. Better defense and security, perhaps. Better ways to defend yourself maybe?

Last edited by stickyflypaper (2018-03-25 21:48:30)

#3 2018-03-25 22:29:57

Uncle Gus

I think it was bad timing between the launch of the game and GDC. Having Jason go away for a whole week while the game is very much in its infancy has meant lots of griefing and generally a not-so-great experience for new players, with more experienced players starting to get bored and jaded and not keen on helping/teaching newer players.

But there is still an enthusiastic core of players, and Jason is back now, so I don't think the game is dead. There will be some people who have stopped playing now who will come back to it after a few updates.

For myself, I have grown tired of playing it in its current state, so I'm working on a mod for it instead smile

#4 2018-03-25 23:01:02

Auner

As mentioned before on reddit- there is no balance here of weaponry or defense.

Also in -all- respects, weapons at this stage should not be so powerful. There's no room up here in term of weapons if running with a knife innocently is a one-shot murder spree.

Once upon a time there was a lizard who wanted to be a dragon...

#5 2018-03-26 00:08:03

Uncle Gus

Yeah, that's a catch 22. You can remove killing to reduce griefing, but there are more ways to grief than just killing, but the only way to combat griefing is killing. So you're actually favouring the trolls by removing weapons.

#6 2018-03-26 01:00:10

Helperguy

Uncle Gus wrote:

Yeah, that's a catch 22. You can remove killing to reduce griefing, but there are more ways to grief than just killing, but the only way to combat griefing is killing. So you're actually favouring the trolls by removing weapons.

No i dont think so, because usually a good team of players can build up stuff faster than a single stupid grief can destroy.
But currently its the opposite: a single stupid killer can destroy/kill good players faster than birth and raising can compensate.

#7 2018-03-26 01:33:39

Uncle Gus

Yeah, it's far easier to grief than to play properly, but all I'm saying there is that removing killing is not a good solution because it's the only way to stop a griefer at the moment. 6 v 1 is still better than 5 v 0.

#8 2018-03-26 01:52:05

lesslucid

I'm not sure why, but I've not actually seen that much griefing, myself. But from all the conversation about it, it's clearly a big issue for a lot of people. Anyway, my perspective may not reflect that of most other people because I haven't been that affected by it, but...

...I think within the context of the game, selfish and destructive behaviour makes sense as something that is "allowable". Successful co-operation is valuable partly because it's not automatic. Having a "ban" system or something else that artificially restricts selfishness doesn't, I think, fit the spirit of the game. The choice between good and evil, just as in real life, shouldn't have "magical" rewards attached to it that come from outside the gameworld. The reward for being good is just that you contribute to a community that makes progress; the reward for being evil is that you get the fun of ruining someone else's fun... but you never get to really create anything or the satisfaction of helping to move forward a project that is larger than yourself. 

It does seem at the moment that griefing is just a bit too easy; it makes intuitive sense that a single killer would be able to sneak into a community, kill one person, and probably sneak away without being caught. It makes much less sense that they would be able to walk into the middle of a thriving community of ten or more people and slaughter everyone out in the open without anyone being able to respond meaningfully or stop them or even escape. 

I'm not sure what the right answer is, but as much as people dislike the griefing, I think we should be leaning away from solutions along the lines of, eg, "ban griefers". Small changes with an element of realism but that help edge the balance toward "large groups of co-operative people" vs "a single destructive person" seem the most likely to fit in the spirit of the game, to me.

#9 2018-03-26 02:19:23

Eannatum

I like the murders. I've only ever killed one person, accidentally, still unaware of many game mechanics at that time (I was justifiably executed by the murder weapon). Anyways, the murders create a force to stop civilization from getting too big. Plus, it really models the real world where there are people who do things for the greater good, people who do things for themselves, and people who do things for the devil. Also, it brings us non-murderers closer together when trying to solve this problem. It requires us to think. Do we set up laws in our villages and towns? What kind of punishments can we demand?

This is what I love about this game, it truly is different from any one I've seen because it models society in a simple way!

I tell my children, "suck ma mammal juice". Then they do and I get cornūy

#10 2018-03-26 02:19:23

btn

i don't think it's over, but i do find myself enjoying the game less and less every time i log in. the honeymoon period of discovering new stuff and learning is wearing off and being replaced with "oh, another griefer? and no one is listening to me warning them about the person shooting everyone above us? sure ok."

i feel like we need an official PVP server and a Zen server or something. if someone gets enough reports from harassing people in a Zen server they can be banned from it, only allowed on PVP where anything goes. i know theres unofficial servers much like this right now, but it would be good for new / casual players, in my opinion.

#11 2018-03-26 09:21:47

Baker

btn wrote:

i don't think it's over, but i do find myself enjoying the game less and less every time i log in. the honeymoon period of discovering new stuff and learning is wearing off and being replaced with "oh, another griefer? and no one is listening to me warning them about the person shooting everyone above us? sure ok."

i feel like we need an official PVP server and a Zen server or something. if someone gets enough reports from harassing people in a Zen server they can be banned from it, only allowed on PVP where anything goes. i know theres unofficial servers much like this right now, but it would be good for new / casual players, in my opinion.

Yeah, It's because Jason has been away. The plan was for him to add new content every week. I think one of the reasons behind this griefer surge is boredom. Without anything new being added to the game, civilizations that survive will quickly make everything that can be made. Because these civilizations have nowhere to advance to, people got bored and decided to just kill everyone.

I understand how you feel, It's either get murdered or work in the same village doing the same things over and over.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#12 2018-03-26 09:38:08

Dagar

Eannatum wrote:

Plus, it really models the real world where there are people who do things for the greater good, people who do things for themselves, and people who do things for the devil.

What? Do you really think there are people that "do things for the devil" in real life? In my experience, every person thinks he/she is a good one, or at least does something unpleasant but necessary in the current situation. People that do evil stuff just because are comic book characters.
The thing you don't see is that we only have this one real life, whereas in the game we can be reborn however often we like, so it is not the same to waste your one real life vs. one or more of the ingame lives you have. Which is also the main problem all of the multi player competitive survival games out there have.

#13 2018-03-26 10:13:42

NBonaparte_BG

Welp, because ppl never cared about the village they are living, and they don't prepare for future events. Not like the reality where they have polices goin around to keep- discipline going. I think ppl does get excited when they do things they shouldn't be: like murdering ppl,. The only civilizations that can survive is the civilization that have a certain type of government, like chiefdom. Welp, now in OHOL, its still in the mid ancient era, with a few technologies developed, and it's still seems undeveloped compares to the history. And the cause of problems like this, is because the technology advances way faster than civics right now, and the one week off of Jason.C.Roher is a perfect amount of time for us to discuss and develop the civics and the laws of our civilizations. I think the problem is getting solved soon since a few private servers had done something to it, like disabling PVP or making laws. For now I have ways to deal with it, but I don't want to really share it because everyone's ideas are valuable including mine, and I have the right only telling ppl I want to tell. But if u have any ideas to discuss with me, plz txt me and I might uncover my ideas to it.
Thank you very much. big_smile

Last edited by NBonaparte_BG (2018-03-26 10:13:54)

- By Naples Bunoparte "Historian Extrodinaire"

#14 2018-03-26 11:06:20

TrustyWay

Baker wrote:
btn wrote:

Yeah, It's because Jason has been away. The plan was for him to add new content every week. I think one of the reasons behind this griefer surge is boredom. Without anything new being added to the game, civilizations that survive will quickly make everything that can be made. Because these civilizations have nowhere to advance to, people got bored and decided to just kill everyone.

I understand how you feel, It's either get murdered or work in the same village doing the same things over and over.

I am sorry, we didn't do anything, roads are off, we will never connect villages, we will never do village wars and stuff.

The fact that we have to separate PVP and non murder is just killing the game spirit, mass murdering isn't normal.

If people start thinking like that the game will fail what it was supposed to achieve = Normal life, no safe place nor mass murdering place. The game is doomed if we cannot have a nornal play

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-03-26 11:10:02)

#15 2018-03-26 12:19:52

Eannatum

Dagar wrote:
Eannatum wrote:

Plus, it really models the real world where there are people who do things for the greater good, people who do things for themselves, and people who do things for the devil.

What? Do you really think there are people that "do things for the devil" in real life? In my experience, every person thinks he/she is a good one, or at least does something unpleasant but necessary in the current situation. People that do evil stuff just because are comic book characters.
The thing you don't see is that we only have this one real life, whereas in the game we can be reborn however often we like, so it is not the same to waste your one real life vs. one or more of the ingame lives you have. Which is also the main problem all of the multi player competitive survival games out there have.

Kony, Hitler, Stalin, Nero, Ted Bundy, Ponzi, Al Capone, and many more!

I tell my children, "suck ma mammal juice". Then they do and I get cornūy

#16 2018-03-26 19:08:59

Uncle Gus

Hitler was a Catholic. Just saying.

#17 2018-03-26 19:19:34

The Person In Yellow

Do you ever think that you can go around stabbing people because you will be revived as a baby in a new city?
This game isn't meant to mirror real life at all
That is almost as bad as saying the technologies and units mirror real life
The civilization building is inspired by real life but it is still a game

#18 2018-03-26 21:57:54

Saltmysnail

Not sure if anyone mentioned this but a simple mechanic could be to make the murderer's skin look bloody after a murder. Would make them easily identifiable so everyone else could run away/fight back. (If you kill a murderer[self defense], your skin does not get bloody) Seems like it could, at the very least, give peaceful folk a head start.

#19 2018-03-26 22:13:45

Uncle Gus

When you kill someone, your weapon does get bloody, and you can't drop it for a while, so that's effectively the same thing. Also, how is the server supposed to know the difference between murder and self-defense? It's one of the most common problems to solve in criminal law and we have entire teams of people who try to work that out for each case; you think it will be a simple calculation to work it out?

#20 2018-03-26 22:24:27

Lexyvil

Interestingly, seeing a murdering spree in one of my lives only happens about 5% of the time. Either I have been lucky, that I haven't played with a bad society, or that no knives have been made yet. Most of the people I meet are nice and helpful, thankfully.

Last edited by Lexyvil (2018-03-26 22:25:26)

#21 2018-03-26 22:27:28

Saltmysnail

When > PlayerSkin[1] "Not Bloody" If > Kill > PlayerSkin[1] "Not Bloody" then > ChangeUserSkin > PlayerSkin[2] "Bloody"
When > PlayerSkin[1] "Not Bloody" If > Kill > PlayerSkin[2] "Bloody" then > ChangeUserSkin > PlayerSkin[1] "Not Bloody"

Self defense is more of a notion that you killed a murderer, after all, there's no real way to know the intent of an armed player in game(unless they're a known murderer). Obviously this bring to bear other issues like publicly executing thieves, griefers, or other trolls in general. I didn't say my idea was perfect. XD

Edit: Also, this obviously doesn't make sense if you kill someone will a bow... That would be some serious artery spray...

Last edited by Saltmysnail (2018-03-26 22:29:57)

Board footer