One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-16 04:53:13

Oblong

Potatoes kinda suck right now, why not think of it as an ingredient?

There’s so much diversity with potatoes in reality.... Baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, loaded potatoes, fries, chips... hell, maybe even stuffing for turkey! I’ve done that before!

Perhaps you could peel potatoes with a knife or flint chips, then throw them in a crock... Stomping them and then cooking them over hot coals for some good ol’ mashed potatoes...

Maybe even slicing potatoes in a bowl or on a plate for potato slices you can eat bit by bit...

Though I guess we’re still in such a primitive state that all we can really do is... Bake them.

Having to use the shovel for each separate potato with each scoop having a chance to break the shovel is kinda bad. Why not give a better use to potatoes?

Maybe the diversity isn’t what Jason wants. Maybe food is too broken and fixing potatoes would make it even more broken.

What ideas would you like to see involving potatoes (other than bashing on them?)

I don’t talk in-game unless it’s dire.

#2 2019-03-16 06:05:15

DestinyCall

Re: Potatoes kinda suck right now, why not think of it as an ingredient?

From an iron balance perspective, I'd like to change the way potatoes are harvested, so you use the shovel on the potato row to turn it from "Mature Potato Row" into "Dug Potato Row".  After being "dug", the potatoes can be harvested by hand.   This would significantly reduce the tool-uses and bring it more in-line with other crops, for cost.  If the dug potato row left behind a deep row, ready to plant with fresh crops, that would be an awesome bonus.   It would also add variety, since we already have some crops that leave behind hard rows and others that leave behind nothing.  Since the potato already requires another scoop of soil to mature, this would help balance out potato tending in a nice way, so it stops being such a dead-end crop and could actually become a food staple.

Adding more recipes that require potatoes and provide decent pips would also help bring this crop out of exile.

#3 2019-03-16 06:42:04

Tarr
Banned

Some say Jason's first child was attacked by a potato, some say an Irishman gave him a bad look. No one really knows what the humble potato did to wrong Jason but ever since the first nerf (shovel having less average uses on everything) to the second nerf (10% flat chance per potato to use a charge) the potato has been seen as completely unviable.

People have asked for a second tool that is balanced around composting, some have asked to actually fix the potato but all we see is sadness. In general I think everything needs expanded recipes but food balance is already in a bad spot lol.

fug it’s Tarr.

#4 2019-03-16 07:20:50

Psykout

Tarr wrote:

Some say Jason's first child was attacked by a potato, some say an Irishman gave him a bad look. No one really knows what the humble potato did to wrong Jason but ever since the first nerf (shovel having less average uses on everything) to the second nerf (10% flat chance per potato to use a charge) the potato has been seen as completely unviable.

People have asked for a second tool that is balanced around composting, some have asked to actually fix the potato but all we see is sadness. In general I think everything needs expanded recipes but food balance is already in a bad spot lol.

What do you personally think Tarr? Fix the potatoe or have compost have a more dedicated tool for compost? Granted I think more would need to be done than just reducing the different tasks the shovel has, but it would be a really great first start.

#5 2019-03-16 07:36:27

DestinyCall

Fix the potato.  I want to be able to make french fries someday.

#6 2019-03-16 08:08:52

Tarr
Banned

I'd just rather him tie a pitchfork to composting instead of balancing a tool with so many uses around compost. No tool off the top of my head has so many different uses like the shovel does and it specifically is only balanced around compost. Almost any fence or building in general requires at least one shovel use, digging potatoes requires a shovel, composting of course requires it, and a bunch of other niche things like digging up different plants or grave digging.

No other tool has as many uses and no other tool is gimped by it being attached to something so important.

fug it’s Tarr.

#7 2019-03-16 09:37:38

NetherCrow
Website

Please Buff potato and make more food items about it.

Potatoes are the most important foods in the human-being history. And it feed piles of people.

BTW. I like French fries. Maybe jason can add edible oil for us and the chief can make Fries for towns LOL.

Chinese Mobile Players are the best griefer around the world. I am ashamed of them. They invent the auto-baby-killer and grave-baby-prison to avoid Others Break their Eve Chain. And the griefer use bear and bow to kill every eve player for their REVENGE. All animal and kiln are killed or destroyed because of envy and hatred.

#8 2019-03-16 10:17:57

Daffex

Stew! In the uk we have potatoes in stews, casseroles, Sausage & Mash..

Sausages would be cool too.

Roast Turkey & Roasted Potatoes!! Lets make a FEAST!!

Potato & Meat soups!

yikes!!!

So many possibilities

I prefer to call my children after final fantasy characters.
- Love making sauerkraut! - Hate letting kids die.

I miss surnames. Remember surnames?

#9 2019-03-16 14:33:06

Averest

Shepherd's pie would be amazing

baked potato  + bowl = baked potato in bowl

baked potato in bowl + sharp stone = mashed potato

Mutton + copper pot = mutton in copper pot

mutton in copper pot + bowl of corn kernels = Mutton and corn in copper pot

Mashed potatoes + mutton and corn in copper pot = Unbuttered shepherd's pie

butter + unbuttered shepherds' pie = buttered shepherd's pie

buttered shepherd's pie + oven = Baking shepherd's pie

hand + baking shepherd's pie = Shepherd's pie

#10 2019-03-16 18:43:55

Spoonwood

Tarr wrote:

Almost any fence or building in general requires at least one shovel use, digging potatoes requires a shovel, composting of course requires it, and a bunch of other niche things like digging up different plants or grave digging.

Adobe structures do not require the use of a shovel at all (either reeds can get combined with clay... or straw can get combined with clay).  So partial adobe walls, adobe walls, and plaster walls can all get made without the use of a shovel.  Pens that do not require the use of the shovel include those structures as a basis as well as adobe oven bases and tree based pens.  Box base pens also don't require the use of a shovel.

Tree based animal pens may work out as too slow for a settlement of moderate size in continuous operation.  However, if you can wait, or perhaps have a small pen first, a nice tree based pen has more utility than any other pen type (though fence based pens can get used to park horses), and I say that based on experience.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-03-16 22:31:05)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#11 2019-03-17 15:03:04

golmock

Yes! I want more cook!! We can use potato or beaf pork... wolf and bear meat!!

!eve painter! You will have a color name.
I can teach you if i'm not busy. just talk to me.

#12 2019-03-17 17:33:16

Daffex

Omg. Fish + Chips!

Or Hog Dogs. (ahahahahah)

#13 2019-03-17 19:41:45

antking:]#

fun fact: when potato's were first introduced to Europe they were shunned, and used as decorations! because they looked too similar to the deadly night shade! so if you ever see some potato sprouts remember: they're are just decorations don't eat them!

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#14 2019-03-17 21:29:56

DestinyCall

I've heard something similar regarding tomatoes, another crop in the nightshade family.

To be fair, you can get sick from eating green potatoes.  The green color itself isn't a problem - it is just chlorophyll, present in all plants undergoing photosynthesis.   But when potatoes are exposed to light and start to make chlorophyll, they will also produce solanine. Solanine is a mild natural toxin that causes nausea and other intestinal upsets.

#15 2019-03-17 22:26:02

BerrypickerAF

Averest wrote:

Shepherd's pie would be amazing

baked potato  + bowl = baked potato in bowl

baked potato in bowl + sharp stone = mashed potato

Mutton + copper pot = mutton in copper pot

mutton in copper pot + bowl of corn kernels = Mutton and corn in copper pot

Mashed potatoes + mutton and corn in copper pot = Unbuttered shepherd's pie

butter + unbuttered shepherds' pie = buttered shepherd's pie

buttered shepherd's pie + oven = Baking shepherd's pie

hand + baking shepherd's pie = Shepherd's pie

Why so complex and involve copper? We already have mutton pie, just keep everything up to the mashed potato and add the bowl of mashed potato to raw mutton pie.
Who cares there's crust on it - this is survival, not Top Chef tongue

Last edited by BerrypickerAF (2019-03-17 22:27:09)

#16 2019-03-17 23:12:27

Anandamide

NetherCrow wrote:

Please Buff potato and make more food items about it.

Potatoes are the most important foods in the human-being history. And it feed piles of people.

BTW. I like French fries. Maybe jason can add edible oil for us and the chief can make Fries for towns LOL.

Rice, Corn and Wheat have entered the group chat.

*Palm oil also entered the chat*

Last edited by Anandamide (2019-03-17 23:13:11)

#17 2019-03-18 07:53:28

Daffex

Rice would be great. Chillies! Peppers! Oranges! VARIETY PLEASE especially seeing as Yum is super important now.

Board footer