One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-01 16:28:50

Totality

Wish for a World History Viewer

I'm enjoying the game and experiment - it will be interesting to see how far we get and self organise, but I do find myself wishing for the ability to watch events in the world happen.

As an example, over lunch we had a little settlement going, and I naturally ended up being in charge of the fires.  I would harvest branches, chop them up, and keep the fires going, and occasionally cooking some meat when the harvesters dropped it.  Everyone around the fire was nice and warm.

But then someone stole my axe, at which point, I could no longer make kindling, the fires died out, food ran out, and we all died.

Not only would I love to find out who stole my axe, but it would be interesting to observe the world on this kind of scale and see how often these kind of events happen.   Likewise, if I stop playing for a week, I assume civilisation may have come on, and there's probably an interesting story there that I am going to miss...

(admittedly, I realise that unless that has been built in from the start, it is going to be hard to retro fit in)

#2 2018-03-01 16:37:20

vfabien21

Re: Wish for a World History Viewer

Totality wrote:

but it would be interesting to observe the world on this kind of scale and see how often these kind of events happen.

Maybe the "leave review" field we have at the end of a game could be used for that. it is not exactly your idea. But at least, we could use it to tell our story, and read them afterward. And it would be fun if there was a screenshot taken just before we die attached to it

Last edited by vfabien21 (2018-03-01 17:23:24)

#3 2018-03-01 17:26:02

Zeromus

I love the idea of being able to leave a single message after you die.  Make how big it can be based on how long you lived, so you gotta at least be an adult to leave a message.

You make amazing connections with people you don't know in a super short time, and then they are gone.  Would love to be able to leave a note and tell them thanks.

#4 2018-03-02 05:22:02

yvanhooe

I think that we will soon see mechanisms against griefers: guarded closed houses with supplies. Griefers can be killed with a bow and arrow. I expect thieves, vandals and criminals to soon be shot dead. I also expect bands of armed thieves appearing.

Emergent civilization!

#5 2018-03-02 13:21:39

Beans

yvanhooe wrote:

I think that we will soon see mechanisms against griefers: guarded closed houses with supplies. Griefers can be killed with a bow and arrow. I expect thieves, vandals and criminals to soon be shot dead. I also expect bands of armed thieves appearing.

I don't think I've witnessed a murder yet. Is it possible currently?

Last edited by Beans (2018-03-02 13:22:28)

#6 2018-03-02 14:31:06

Norgg

Beans wrote:

My mum shot me with a bow and arrow once immediately after I was born. I think it might have been a mistake though and so technically manslaughter.

#7 2018-03-02 14:44:52

yvanhooe

During playtest we tried it with another player. "Killed by arrow". I think I was the first victim of a murder in this world. You may call me Abel.

#8 2018-03-02 15:05:53

Kabouik

Norgg wrote:
Beans wrote:

My mum shot me with a bow and arrow once immediately after I was born. I think it might have been a mistake though and so technically manslaughter.

We might be siblings and have the same mom. Does that make her an incredibly awkward mom with a bow, or a serial killer? She carefully breastfed me until I could pick and eat berries, though, which made it more painful.

Last edited by Kabouik (2018-03-02 15:08:17)

Board footer